Girl Scouts Sue City For Right To Sell Cookies

★~DoctorWhoGuru~★ 2012/03/15 00:39:44

Most girl scouts earn badges for their behavior as upstanding junior citizens, and for selling sugary treats far and wide. But in Missouri, two scouts are instead standing up to a law they they feel is unjust -- and threatens their cookie sales.

According to court documents, 16-year-old Caitlin and 14-year-old Abigail Mills of Hazelwood, Mo., are girl scouts who have sold cookies in their driveway for the last six years. This year, when the girls tried to begin their sales, city officials told their mother, Carolyn Mills, that the girls must shut down their stand as it violates city ordinances. As reported by KMOX, the St. Louis CBS affiliate, a neighbor complained anonymously about dogs barking at all the people and traffic backing up for the cookie stand.

Read More:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/13/girl-scouts-sue-city...

• HAlex1972 2012/04/16 05:38:55
    HAlex1972
    +1
    Stupid neighbor needs to get over it.
  • sha_lyn68 2012/04/16 05:24:15 (edited)
    sha_lyn68
    +1
    I actually just found out at my last leaders's meeting that if we do not turn in the proper forms for booth sales (must have time and date of the sale and a signature of the property owner, or authorized agent [Ie store manager]) that the insurance coverage carried by GSUSA is voided and it will not cover the girls for injuries and it will not cover any damages (on the rare likelihood that the girls damaged something).
  • sha_lyn68 2012/04/16 04:35:06 (edited)
    sha_lyn68
    +1
    I seriously doubt they followed GSUSA rules by having 2 registered adults and a signed permission form from their service unit cookie manager. Not only were they violating city law, it sounds like they were violating GSUSA rules.
  • Just me ♥ 2012/03/15 01:36:46
    Just me ♥
    +1
    I can see the neighbor's frustration; I have a neighbor who every year tries to outdo the Griswalds with Christmas decorations. Then again...they're little girls and the timeframe which they sell the cookies won't last forever.
  • iamthemob ~ the 444th Guru ~ 2012/03/15 00:53:29
    iamthemob ~ the 444th Guru ~
    +1
    Sounds like the girls actually stepped in it here. Sucks for them...but it's probably time that they learned what business ownership really is all about. ;-)
  • NarcolepticGoat 2012/03/15 00:53:16
    NarcolepticGoat
    +1
    I hope they win and are allowed to sell their cookies. Around here they bushwack... er.. set up outside grocery store exits.
  • Beccy 2012/03/15 00:43:59
    +1
    Oh give me a breAK. I wish I could find a driveway where they were selling these cookies. I would buy them We don't have enough girl scouts around here.

2014/07/25 18:24:52