Girl, 13, who refused to remove her brother's military photo on her binder 'threatened to be kicked out of school'?

~ The Rebel ~ 2012/08/19 12:18:21

A school binder decorated with pictures of a 13-year-old's older brother and her softball team nearly led the girl being kicked out of school, her mother claims.

Seen in his military uniform, a photograph of Brianna Gentry's older brother Derrick who is stationed in Montana as a military policeman is one of several pictures on her school binder.

'My brother is very important to me. I haven't seen him in a while,' Brianna told KTLA on her reasoning behind the photo's placement.

Around him are also pictures of her softball team.

Both pictures, however, as Brianna recently learned, do not comply with her school's rules with the eighth grader's membership of their AVID programme for top or advanced students.

'The counsellor took me out of class twice telling me that the pictures aren't AVID material,' Brianna said. 'But they haven't pulled out any other students with pictures out from their class. Just me.'

Read More: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2190139/St...

+4
    AVID appears to be used as an Anti-American weapon against a child. Well, we no longer live in a free society. That is also why the vote you render is a sacred duty and not what was done with it 4 years ago

• cowboy 2012/08/21 20:24:45
    cowboy
    +1
    from the land of the hippies...
  • Vision of Verve 2012/08/20 03:21:01
  • Kat ♪ ~BTO-t-BCRA-F~ ♪ 2012/08/19 22:19:50
    Kat ♪ ~BTO-t-BCRA-F~ ♪
    +3
    I despise liberal schools, get on the school boards and take them back.
  • jc 2012/08/19 22:12:54
    jc
    +3
    And I thought school was tough when I was a kid.Now there are so many crazy rules that they actually distract kids from learning.
  • Demonic Rat Hunter 2012/08/19 22:09:52
    Demonic Rat Hunter
    +3
    What else would you expect from CommieMexifornia and esp LA, they continue to hate the military just like they did in the 60'/70's. Remember though they think it's Ok for illegals to post whatever flag they want on their stuff while teliing Americans to "suck it up".
    +4
  • brewmaster411 2012/08/19 17:18:31
    brewmaster411
    +3
    If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter. -- George Washington

Freedom is never voluntarily given by the oppressor; it must be demanded by the oppressed. -- Martin Luther King, Jr.

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves. -- Abraham Lincoln

For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others. - Nelson Mandela

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. -- John F. Kennedy

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. -- Ronald Reagan
  • Packersgirl 2012/08/19 17:08:30
    Packersgirl
    +3
    what kind of rules does this school have? seems a little odd, and unfair for sure
  • bricklyn 2012/08/19 16:13:04
    bricklyn
    Why do American continue to believe they live in a free country???
  • YourCompanionCube 2012/08/19 13:05:43
    YourCompanionCube
    +4
    This sounds like the time a kid wore a stars and stripes cap with army-men taped on for the occasion, and was also nearly expelled. If this is the tolerance the school has, I wouldn't care whether or not I got expelled, I'd leave anyway!
  • Lagdh 2012/08/19 12:45:23
    Lagdh
    +3
    That's horrible that they'd want to do that. That binder looks so normal and yet it still has symbolic meaning.
    Must be a pretty strict programme if they don't allow kids to decorate binders to their hearts desire.
  • Scream 2012/08/19 12:37:07
    Scream
    I find it hard to believe that they'd threaten expulsion without first just asking her to remove the pictures. It's also weird that she's the only person they've pulled aside about it, but that might just be because they saw hers specifically one day. Like when there are a whole load of people in a classroom wearing the wrong shoes, but only one person catches the teacher's eye. So that one person gets punished for the wrong shoes while everyone else manages to hide their shoes. Not that the teachers don't know about it, but the other kids were inconspicuous enough to get away with it.
    But I can believe them not wanting her to have the pictures. I go to a school that's fairly strict, uniform and decoration-wise. Our school diaries can't be written in at all, except for homework due dates. It's just the way they want things to be. I don't like it but it's their rules.
  • Joey Scream 2012/08/19 13:30:44
    Joey
    +1
    They check your dairy . wow that is kind of messed up.
  • Scream Joey 2012/08/19 20:59:59 (edited)
    Scream
    They don't check it. But like I said in my first post, if it's really conspicuous and catches their eye then they'll tell you to get rid of the "graffiti". A lot of teachers are nice and will just let it go, especially when you're a senior. But some of them are strict as.
  • Boris Badinov 2012/08/19 12:35:18
    Boris Badinov
    +2
    These control freaks, man! They are prying our fingers off of our freedoms one finger at a time. The administrative complaint is based wholey on their preference in interpreting an "unwritten" rule. Negotiatiation is Inappropriate. They family needs to Sue The Pants Off these people and the Administration's reply needs to lose its 'smile'.....!
  • ~ The Rebel ~ 2012/08/19 12:19:28
    ~ The Rebel ~
    +4
    After some back and forth, the school came to an amended conclusion this week.

'We want our students to be successful and if this is the type of motivation that is going to help this young lady or any other student succeed, then by all means we will support her efforts,' school district spokeswoman Linda Bardere told KTLA.

But the picture of her softball team still had to be removed they decided.

'I'd rather have my brother in my pictures than have nothing at all,' Brianna said. 'So, I'm fine with the decision.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/ne...

2014/09/01 18:53:25