Gene Simmons defends Tim Tebow?

John "By God" American 2013/09/13 17:44:18
Interview: Gene Simmons Defends Tim Tebow, Wants Football To Be More Like KISS
September 13, 2013 11:59 AM

Reporting Brian Ives

WTF: What's The Frequency?

radioCom_headlines-all-button

AFP/Getty Images

(AFP/Getty Images)

Has polarizing football player Tim Tebow gotten a raw deal in the
press because of his religious beliefs? And would he be treated more
respectfully if he were not Christian, and specifically, Muslim? Gene
Simmons thinks so.

“He’s got a religious passion, as well he should, we’re in America,” the KISS frontman told Radio.com earlier
this week. ”He’s proud to be a Christian, what’s wrong with that? And
yet, with sports media and pop culture media, they make fun of his
religion. Really? In America? If he was wearing a burqa, they wouldn’t
dare say anything [editor's note: only Muslim women wear burqas].
But if you’re a Christian, you get to be picked on? What the hell? The
guy’s got family values. I never saw the media picking on Michael Vick
for torturing dogs. Or this other football player, who’s alleged to have
killed, committed murder. That’s ‘cool.’ But a guy who’s religious and
has got family values isn’t ‘cool?’ He’s cool to me.”

As has been widely reported, Simmons and his KISS bandmate Paul Stanley are now co-owners of a new Arena Football League team, to be called LA KISS.
And Simmons wasted no time drawing attention to the expansion team
(which will begin playing in 2014), extending a very public offer to
quarterback Tim Tebow, who after a brief up-and-down career in the NFL,
was released by the New England Patriots a few weeks ago.

In an interview focusing on the new oral history of KISS, Nothing To Lose (more on that to come), Simmons addressed the situation with the man who he hopes will be the KISS QB.

“We haven’t heard back from Tim,” Simmons said. “He’s considering
this seriously; he’s in Los Angeles. Right after this, I’m gonna fly
back with our guys and try to sit down with him and tell him that we’re
serious about this. He’ll get the respect here that he didn’t get at the
NFL.”

Simmons may relate to Tebow on that level: he has always taken issue with the music media (notably Rolling Stone) for not treating KISS seriously, which he addresses in Nothing To Lose.
But the treatment that he feels Tebow has received makes him
particularly incensed: “They’re a**holes. And they should be called to
task, and they should lose their license, because in a very real way, as
far as I’m concerned, it’s slander and defamation. You’re making fun of
somebody’s religion.”

“I think religion is good for mankind. Without the Ten Commandments,”
he pauses to note, “Jews gave you that,” and continues, “Without that,
there’d be chaos. Somebody had to say, ‘Here are some good ideas: don’t
steal, and don’t kill.’ Those are good ideas. That’s called
‘civilization.’ There was once a time where those things weren’t written
down. You had chaos! We still have chaos, but there’s a reference
point. But those are good ideas. Honor thy father and thy mother. That’s
a good idea!”

Though Simmons is clearly Team Tebow in this specific arena, he fact
that he’s looking to be in business with the former star quaterback is
something of a surprising development. Despite the fact that KISS
performed at the 1999 Super Bowl, Simmons has never been a big football
fan. He admits, “I like the passion and the athleticism, but visually,
it’s never done anything for me because everybody dresses alike.” The
lifelong comic book fan continues: “If I was doing a football team,
you’d make it more like the X-Men, one guy has a visor, one guy’s
dressed like a beast.”

Given that he and KISS tend to make their own rules, is there any
chance that players on the LA KISS team may sport slight variations in
all of their jerseys? “No — we’re gonna follow AFL regulations. But Paul
is talking now with the outfit designers. But we may change the outfits
every week! We want to make this really exciting, nothing boring.
You’re gonna see, in between the balls being tossed, and the touchdowns
and all that, you’re gonna have entertainment. People rappelling from
the roof, fireworks, beautiful girls, anything we can do to make the
experience great. And by the way, you won’t have to mortgage your house
to get a ticket. It’s $99 for a full season ticket. And you get a free
KISS concert for that. We’re gonna put on the whole show as a ‘thank
you.’”

Clearly Simmons knows how to get attention for his team. So, are
there any other big names that the franchise will reach out to? “We’re
not allowed to talk about it at the moment. We have a president and a
coach who we’re about to sign, but… all in good time.”

As for his “day job,” Simmons says there will be a North American
tour celebrating KISS’s 40th anniversary. “And I just wrote a new song
I’m really excited about called ‘Your Wish Is My Command.’ Great anthem.
It’s a great title!”

Read More: http://news.radio.com/2013/09/13/gene-simmons-tim-...

• Aurora 2013/09/13 23:39:48
    Really?
    Aurora
    +8
    It's okay for Gene to do this, I personally think Tim Tebow is a good guy, what's the big deal. And Gene is right about what he said.

• Dan 2013/09/17 02:05:06
    Dan
    +1
    He makes a good point.
  • Wayne 2013/09/15 21:13:10
    Really?
    Wayne
    +1
    I appreciate anyone who will stand up to their convictions. I do appreciate Tim Tebow's profession as a Christian but I also think that more is expected of him than being a football runner in his football profession. Perhaps a little more practice at passing the football would have helped him in his football career.
  • USAF Vet 2013/09/15 00:48:15
    Really?
    USAF Vet
    +2
    Really! Gene Simmons made a very valid point in defending Tim Tebow.
  • rightside 2013/09/15 00:34:45
    Really?
    rightside
    +1
    The war on Christianity is gaining. Anyone that says they love Jesus is now branded as a racist and bigot and zealot.
    Religious freedom is out the door because its not PC.
    Good for Gene.
  • Matt 2013/09/14 16:30:40 (edited)
    Matt
    +2
    But it's okay to turn New York's Madison Ave. into a prayer rug ?

I would say that somebody is showing some deference.

Madison Ave Prayer
  • Navin J... Matt 2013/09/20 20:52:23
    Navin Johnson (The Jerk)
    +1
    Tebow should walk into the middle of that and bend a knee!
  • Matt Navin J... 2013/09/21 00:26:26
    Matt
    Maybe he could take Gene Simmons with him for a distraction. . .
    Genetic Science
  • BostonYooper 2013/09/14 14:32:22
    BostonYooper
    +3
    Good for Tebow..if he accepts their offer.
  • Seonag 2013/09/14 13:05:43
    Really?
    Seonag
    +4
    Actually, I heard this yesterday and I agree with him 100%. The anti-Christian/pro abortion crowd just can not stand him and that goes for the MSM!
  • William Gill~PWCM~JLA 2013/09/14 04:22:22
    William Gill~PWCM~JLA
    +3
    Always have liked Gene Simmons. He speaks his mind and stands by what he says. He is right on this issue with Tim Tebow. The only reason they treated Tebow the way they did is because he is Christian and not hiding it.
  • Ben Richards 2013/09/14 02:36:33
    Ben Richards
    +5
    Although I respected Gene Simmons from listening to interviews he has given, after this, that respect for him just went up by a factor of 10.
    Class Act.
  • No nonsense NanC...don't BS... 2013/09/14 02:34:31
    No nonsense NanC...don't BS me!
    +4
    He is right about Tebow's rights to his religious beliefs............. I like Tim, and I
    hope he finds something he loves doing........if not football, something.
  • Katherine 2013/09/14 02:17:04
    Katherine
    +5
    Wtg, Gene. That's all. I just thought it was nice, reasonable. Just makes me smile.
  • 11 Phenomenon - eNews 2013/09/14 01:38:18
    11 Phenomenon - eNews
    +7
    Simmons is spot on.
  • nails 2013/09/14 01:35:13
    nails
    +1
    Gene Simmons,an honest,and good guy all around.That dose'nt mean liked his music.
  • phoenix AFCL 2013/09/14 01:05:50 (edited)
    phoenix AFCL
    +7
    Gene Simmons is an American patriot and has great affection for our military. Anyone who watched his show on Bravo will attest to that fact. I gather also from the show that Gene is Jewish. Maybe his defense of Tebow's very public profession of his religion is brought about by this thoughtful treatise .....

and then they came for me but there was no one left
  • John "B... phoenix... 2013/09/14 04:20:10
    John "By God" American
    +2
    He was actually born in Israel.
  • Frank Stephens 2013/09/14 01:04:42
    Frank Stephens
    +3
    As well he should and did a great job of doing.
  • Ed 2013/09/14 00:53:43
  • The New Old School 2013/09/14 00:14:35
    Really?
    The New Old School
    A mediocre rocker (yes, I said it, KISS is a very mediocre band and most of their music is awful, it was all about the stage show and you know it) sticking up for a mediocre football player? Birds of a feather flock together
  • deidara.true,art-[SHP]- BTO... 2013/09/13 23:59:39
    Really?
    deidara.true,art-[SHP]- BTO-t- B
    +5
    http://news.radio.com/2013/09...

Has polarizing football player Tim Tebow gotten a raw deal in the press because of his religious beliefs? And would he be treated more respectfully if he were not Christian, and specifically, Muslim? Gene Simmons thinks so.

“He’s got a religious passion, as well he should, we’re in America,” the KISS frontman told Radio.com earlier this week. ”He’s proud to be a Christian, what’s wrong with that? And yet, with sports media and pop culture media, they make fun of his religion. Really? In America? If he was wearing a burqa, they wouldn’t dare say anything [editor's note: only Muslim women wear burqas]. But if you’re a Christian, you get to be picked on? What the hell? The guy’s got family values. I never saw the media picking on Michael Vick for torturing dogs. Or this other football player, who’s alleged to have killed, committed murder. That’s ‘cool.’ But a guy who’s religious and has got family values isn’t ‘cool?’ He’s cool to me.”

As has been widely reported, Simmons and his KISS bandmate Paul Stanley are now co-owners of a new Arena Football League team, to be called LA KISS. And Simmons wasted no time drawing attention to the expansion team (which will begin playing in 2014), extending a very public offer to quarterback Tim Tebow, who a...

http://news.radio.com/2013/09...

As has been widely reported, Simmons and his KISS bandmate Paul Stanley are now co-owners of a new Arena Football League team, to be called LA KISS. And Simmons wasted no time drawing attention to the expansion team (which will begin playing in 2014), extending a very public offer to quarterback Tim Tebow, who after a brief up-and-down career in the NFL, was released by the New England Patriots a few weeks ago.

“We haven’t heard back from Tim,” Simmons said. “He’s considering this seriously; he’s in Los Angeles. Right after this, I’m gonna fly back with our guys and try to sit down with him and tell him that we’re serious about this. He’ll get the respect here that he didn’t get at the NFL.”

Simmons may relate to Tebow on that level: he has always taken issue with the music media (notably Rolling Stone) for not treating KISS seriously, which he addresses in Nothing To Lose. But the treatment that he feels Tebow has received makes him particularly incensed: “They’re a**holes. And they should be called to task, and they should lose their license, because in a very real way, as far as I’m concerned, it’s slander and defamation. You’re making fun of somebody’s religion.”

“I think religion is good for mankind. Without the Ten Commandments,” he pauses to note, “Jews gave you that,” and continues, “Without that, there’d be chaos. Somebody had to say, ‘Here are some good ideas: don’t steal, and don’t kill.’ Those are good ideas. That’s called ‘civilization.’ There was once a time where those things weren’t written down. You had chaos! We still have chaos, but there’s a reference point. But those are good ideas. Honor thy father and thy mother. That’s a good idea!”

Though Simmons is clearly Team Tebow in this specific arena, he fact that he’s looking to be in business with the former star quaterback is something of a surprising development. Despite the fact that KISS performed at the 1999 Super Bowl, Simmons has never been a big football fan. He admits, “I like the passion and the athleticism, but visually, it’s never done anything for me because everybody dresses alike.” The lifelong comic book fan continues: “If I was doing a football team, you’d make it more like the X-Men, one guy has a visor, one guy’s dressed like a beast.”

Given that he and KISS tend to make their own rules, is there any chance that players on the LA KISS team may sport slight variations in all of their jerseys? “No — we’re gonna follow AFL regulations. But Paul is talking now with the outfit designers. But we may change the outfits every week! We want to make this really exciting, nothing boring. You’re gonna see, in between the balls being tossed, and the touchdowns and all that, you’re gonna have entertainment. People rappelling from the roof, fireworks, beautiful girls, anything we can do to make the experience great. And by the way, you won’t have to mortgage your house to get a ticket. It’s $99 for a full season ticket. And you get a free KISS concert for that. We’re gonna put on the whole show as a ‘thank you.’”

Clearly Simmons knows how to get attention for his team. So, are there any other big names that the franchise will reach out to? “We’re not allowed to talk about it at the moment. We have a president and a coach who we’re about to sign, but… all in good time.”

As for his “day job,” Simmons says there will be a North American tour celebrating KISS’s 40th anniversary. “And I just wrote a new song I’m really excited about called ‘Your Wish Is My Command.’ Great anthem. It’s a great title!”
  • Ben Ric... deidara... 2013/09/14 02:39:56
    Ben Richards
    +2
    Very well put.
  • jimmy deidara... 2013/09/14 13:24:10
    jimmy
    +2
    COULDN'T OF SAID IT BETTER
  • User Deactivated 2013/09/13 23:49:25
    No way!
    User Deactivated
    Hmmm, call me a skeptic, but the image I got reading this was the shot in the Nickleback "Rock Star" video, with Billy Gibbons...

Tell me what you want  tell me what you need

"Tell me what you need."
  • John "B... User De... 2013/09/13 23:52:09
    John "By God" American
    How did you get that image?
  • User De... John "B... 2013/09/14 00:10:05
    User Deactivated
    +1
    Mmmm. Ol' Billy is playing the part of Old Billy, the other Old Billy that is. Old Nick, Old Ned, whatever you want to call him.

Gene Simmons is inviting a devout Christian into the den of iniquity, under the guise of tolerance and understanding. Tebow is a mediocre quarterback whose main claim to notoriety was his Christian devotion.
  • John "B... User De... 2013/09/14 04:25:47
    John "By God" American
    +1
    I guess I don't know Ol' Billy. I know he can play that geetar, but that's about it..
  • shadow76 2013/09/13 23:41:16
    shadow76
    +7
    Gene Simmons has been a outside the box thinker, good for him. He is right.
  • Aurora 2013/09/13 23:39:48
    Really?
    Aurora
    +8
  • BabyBear 2013/09/13 20:09:03
    BabyBear
    +5
    Well said!

2014/10/26 00:29:37