Gambler sues casino for 127m gambling debt: Is he a loser for accusing others for his actions?

Futureman 2009/12/10 00:43:38
Terrance Watanabe, a Nebraska businessman who lost nearly $127 million in a yearlong, Las Vegas gambling binge has accused two Las Vegas casinos for providing him free drinks and painkillers and allowing him to gamble when he was clearly intoxicated.

Read More: http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/gambler-dropped-127-mill...

• l 2009/12/10 17:39:23
    A loser sues for losing... what a loser!
    l
    +4
    he is like most people.....they fuck their life up...then they refuse to take any responsibility for it...so, naturally they have to find somebody to blame...someone else to pay.

• pitmail2019 2010/01/03 18:04:07
    pitmail2019
    no one forces him to gamble. He has an addiction like smoking and while the casinos are probably partially to blame, he has to take responsibility for his own actions
  • ShrikeTexas 2010/01/02 17:49:12
    ShrikeTexas
    no one forced the drinks and pain killers down his throat, the little loser
  • ChrisK1969 2009/12/12 16:33:31
  • beachbum 2009/12/12 02:29:05
    beachbum
    Good luck on that one!
  • libra sun 2 2009/12/12 00:56:40
    libra sun 2
    yes he is a loser, but in reality has a serious gambling problem needing counsling, ive seen too many people ruin lives, marriages, life savings and college funds, but if you can gamble, know your limit and stop, it can be a fun night out. no worse than vegas night at church....
  • EagleEye 2009/12/11 20:56:34
    EagleEye
    ...........shit......I have a better idea.....COME TO MY HOUSE AND GAMBLE....I PROMISE TO STOP YOU WHEN YOU'VE LOST ONLY $10Mil http://www.brandweek.com/bw/p...
  • Mountaingal 2009/12/11 17:57:32
    Mountaingal
    This blows. I am amazed at how our society has totally shifted gears away from personal responsibility and accountability. This looks like the Obama students have successfully passed this class. Just another example of the "handout doctrine" in today's America.
    I have lived in Nevada for most of my life. This is the first time I have ever heard of such a suit. I can only imagine what's next...
  • Hula girl - Friends not Fol... 2009/12/11 06:56:27
    Hula girl - Friends not Followers
    +1
    Where is the will power and the brains?
  • peaceful 2009/12/11 00:00:19
    I think he has a case! Might be worth it, like the guy who sued the tobacco c...
    peaceful
    +1
    Here's some law on this one.... (?)

http://www.justice.gov/ust/eo...
  • Conserv... peaceful 2009/12/11 07:19:33
    Conservative in California
    It will take a pretty stupid jury, but then again, there was OJ.
  • THOR 2009/12/10 23:24:46
    THOR
    +1
    It is his responsibility, but at the same time these casinos are preying on people...so if he can prevent losing everything, good for him. A little gambling for fun is fine, but some people have a compulsion, and to play into that in order to take their money is wrong.
  • Mountai... THOR 2009/12/11 18:05:23
    Mountaingal
    Never seen it. Do you call marketing "preying on people"? I've worked in casinos all through college and still live in a gambling state. I think your point might be a little dramatic. What about personal responsibility and personal freedoms? Should we compromise our freedoms just because of actions of a few compulsive people? What if he won instead of losing? Do you think he should share his winnings with the casinos?
    BTW I'm not a gambler and never have been. I'm not defending gambling, just personal freedoms.
  • THOR Mountai... 2009/12/11 22:40:05
    THOR
    Yeah, I see your point - I think that whole business reeks though. My family is also from a gambling state so I know the revenue it generates, but it seems like it is at the expense of people that can't afford it. If it is between "protecting the few" versus "personal freedom" though, I will concede the point to you.
  • Caity 2009/12/10 22:02:46
    Caity
    If they can prove that the casino got the guy drunk so he would spend money, maybe but... he should have known better.
  • libra s... Caity 2009/12/12 01:01:12
    libra sun 2
    that could be a valid point if casino cameras show waitresses pushing drinks more so than other customers, but in the end, we all have to know our limits, drinking, gambling, etc. there are so many people really addicted to gambling, its sad.
  • little bill 2009/12/10 21:29:54
    little bill
    yes he wants the money back so he can play some more.
    just like all the other stupid people who sue for other things like mcdonalds woman who burned herself on coffee. stupid people seem to get paid just for being stupid.
  • Lady D.J 2009/12/10 21:17:39
    Lady D.J
    +1
    blah blah blah, people finding reasons to sue for anything now-a-days...
  • Common Sense 2009/12/10 20:31:22
    Common Sense
    +1
    It's called accountability. You'd think after losing the first couple of million that he would have thought "perhaps I should find another, less expensive pastime." I hope the judge throws this case out.
  • l 2009/12/10 17:39:23
    l
    +4
  • wpsark 2009/12/10 17:12:13 (edited)
    wpsark
    +3
    just another example of what is wrong in this world/country...it's always someone else's fault...sad thing is that he will probably win the money
  • Amy ...AKA Dudess 2009/12/10 17:07:52
    Amy ...AKA Dudess
    +2
    what a moron. wait I wonder if that would work maybe I can get all the money back I have spent on the lotteries!
  • Pet Rock Whisperer 2009/12/10 17:05:30
    Pet Rock Whisperer
    +3
    I have a hard time feeling sorry for someone with more money than brains who pisses away loot. Then cries foul after the fact. It was his money to spend however he wanted to. He made the choice to spend it in Vegas. It is nobody's responsibility to hold his hand and coddle him. It is his responsibility and his alone. He needs to man up and take FULL RESPONSIBILITY for his actions. He really needs to shut up and pay up.
  • libra s... Pet Roc... 2009/12/12 01:04:16
    libra sun 2
    +2
    thats my point...someone with that much money, why would they be gambling...and to risk THAT much.....i dont think the drinking would be an issue...everyone is accountable for their limits in all things...
  • Pet Roc... libra s... 2009/12/12 01:07:27
    Pet Rock Whisperer
    NS! I can think of an infinite number of better ways to spend that kind of loot.
  • mac -Holding Fast 2009/12/10 16:39:09
    mac -Holding Fast
    +1
    For more on the story, click here.

http://online.wsj.com/article...

"In 1995, Mr. Watanabe bought an 18,000-square-foot mansion on four acres for $1.8 million, according to RealQuest. A major Omaha philanthropist, he gave millions to AIDS services, according to his foundation's records. He also donated nearly $500,000 to political causes, mostly to the Democratic National Party."
  • Torchy 2009/12/10 15:27:07
    Torchy
    +2
    Instead of paying lawyers to try and force someone else to be responsible for his stupid actions, he should put that money into going to a rehab facility for those with gambling addictions.

lawyers force responsible stupid actions money rehab facility gambling addictions
  • ken 2009/12/10 15:19:59
    ken
    +2
    Of course he is a loser...He is a loser in life and most likey has always been a loser since he was young..He obviously has an addictive personality and anyone who has this should seek professional help..No one cuffed him to the Crap table or the Black Jack table or to the slot machines and although he may have been given drinks as is very common, I seriously doubt that any casino gave him pain killers..He has no business suing a casino..I liken this bullshit to some dumb ass moron suing the tobacco companies because he has lung cancer even though warnings have been posted on cigarette packages since the mid-60's
  • dogs voice 2009/12/10 15:07:09
    dogs voice
    +4
    No excuses! He lost! Buck up, buttercup! Move along. Nothing to see here. Just a moron who thought he could beat the system and lost it all.
  • Ultima001 2009/12/10 14:56:55
    Ultima001
    +1
    He could have not taken the drinks or the painkillers so he put this on himself
  • GridBurn 2009/12/10 05:55:23
    GridBurn
    +1
    I do believe that there is something inherently unethical about casinos giving free drinks to gamblers. However I don't think he should be suing, he should be going to AA.
  • GridBurn GridBurn 2009/12/10 06:07:00
    GridBurn
    +1
    Also, if the casino gave him his credit line then they should not have been allowed to get that high. The reason behind allowing 127M credit needs to be investigated.
  • FALLoutBOYmetal GODZ 2009/12/10 05:10:28
    FALLoutBOYmetal GODZ
    +1
    Typical republican business man, loses money in the market (casino in this case) and then looks for a shyster lawyer to get him out of his debts. You see, neocons LOVE the markets when they make $$$. In fact they'd step over their dying mom to make $$$. But when things go sour, they go around with their hats in their hands.
  • mac -Ho... FALLout... 2009/12/10 16:35:36
    mac -Holding Fast
    +1
    http://online.wsj.com/article...

I'm going to hope you don't need me to explain this.
  • mac -Ho... mac -Ho... 2009/12/10 16:43:32
    mac -Holding Fast
    +2
    FALLoutBOYmetal GODZ 11 hours ago

"Typical republican business man, loses money in the market (casino in this case) and then looks for a shyster lawyer to get him out of his debts. You see, neocons LOVE the markets when they make $$$. In fact they'd step over their dying mom to make $$$. But when things go sour, they go around with their hats in their hands."

(Just putting that up there before the little (edited) appears next to the time stamp. :p )
  • mac -Ho... FALLout... 2009/12/12 02:56:17
    mac -Holding Fast
    Glad to see you so gracious when corrected. I see you've been back since. Why no commentary?
  • MrPKitty 2009/12/10 02:46:21
    MrPKitty
    +3
    I call bullshit.

Been to Vegas plenty of times since the early 80's and they don't give up more than one free drink an hour anymore. And no matter how much money I deposited I never once got as much as an asprin.
  • studiobrat PWCM AFCL 2009/12/10 01:42:30
    studiobrat  PWCM AFCL
    +1
    You win some; you lose some! "Deal" with it!
  • Chole 2009/12/10 00:59:19
    Chole
    +2
    How do u rack up a 127million dollar debt?!!! Maybe Terrance you need to seek gamblers anonymous
  • belle 2009/12/10 00:54:58
    belle
    +3
    It is posted everywhere in the casino it you can't afford to lose, than don't play, they also post gambling help numbers around the casinos. Sorry he put himself into this losing position.
  • kevracer 2009/12/10 00:46:31
    kevracer
    +3
    wait a minute, when I was in Las Vegas, I got drinks comp'd, no one comp'd me painkillers

2014/09/18 05:47:31