Gallop: This Christmas season, 78% of American adults identify with some form of Christian religion. Did you realize 78% of all Americans and 95% of those with faith are Christians? Yes-No

CAPISCE 2012/11/23 14:46:56
YES
no
PRINCETON, NJ -- This Christmas season, 78% of American adults identify with some form of Christian religion. Less than 2% are Jewish, less than 1% are Muslim, and 11% do not have a religious identity. This means that 95% of all Americans who have a religious identity are Christians.

These results are based on a compilation of 327,244 interviews conducted as part of Gallup Daily tracking from January-November 2012. The detailed breakdown shows that about a third of American Christians are Catholics, while two-thirds identify as Protestants or some other non-Catholic Christian religion. All in all, 82.5% of Americans have some form of religious identity.

Gallup's methods of measuring religious identity have changed over the decades, but one major trend that is clear from Gallup's and other organizations' surveys is the increase in the percentage of Americans who do not have a formal religious identity. Some 60 years ago, in 1951, for example, just 1% of Americans in Gallup surveys said they didn't have a religious identity. At that time, Gallup classified 68% of Americans as identifying with a non-Catholic Christian faith, and 24% who were Catholic.

Separate Gallup questioning earlier this year shows that 92% of Americans say they believe in God. This suggests that the lack of a religious identity is not in and of itself a sign of the total absence of religiosity.

Additionally, in two separate surveys conducted in May and in late November/early December of this year, an average of 55% of Americans said religion is very important in their lives, another 26% said it is fairly important, and 19% said it is not very important.

• c.stuartHardwick 2012/11/24 23:47:04
    YES
    c.stuartHardwick
    +1
    But that is by self-reported affiliation. If you look at how they live (i.e., church and prayer) the numbers are much lower.
  • Cat 2012/11/24 18:06:56
    no
    Cat
    +1
    Lots of Agnostics identify as Christians, because their parents were Christians.
  • OPen Minded 2012/11/24 04:49:44
    YES
    OPen Minded
    +1
    Christains should speak up more!

Not so much to preach, but to say "Hey, wait a minute - THAT isn't right!" or "Here, Let Me help You With That!"
  • LADY LIBERTY SILLY WORDSMITH 2012/11/24 03:32:11
    YES
    LADY LIBERTY SILLY WORDSMITH
    +1
    YAY! THAT MAKES THE PROGRESSIVE-SOCIALIST LIBS EMPLOYED.
  • Heptarch 2012/11/23 17:48:48
    no
    Heptarch
    +2
    I didn't know the exact numbers, no.

Did I know that Christians are the predomiant religious group in my country? Yep.
  • Elephant Lord 2012/11/23 17:47:10
    YES
    Elephant Lord
    +2
    Although I wonder how many of those are true Christians, and how many are Christian in name only.
  • Bacci Elephan... 2012/11/23 19:14:17
    Bacci
    +2
    God knows, and where each of us stand in his eyes.

God's opinion of me, is all that matters, because we all know, human beings are never satisfied with each other and, we'll always fault with one another.
  • Ahmedin... Elephan... 2012/11/23 19:20:00
    Ahmedinestein
    +2
    I would also think that some are Christian, but do not identify with a particular sect or denomination, so they say "other" or "no affiliation."
  • TheBadOne 2012/11/23 17:19:58
    YES
    TheBadOne
    +1
    Not surprised in the least. It's funny that I hear about how Cali is "godless", but the Mexicans here are devout Catholics, the Asians are devout Christians, and there's still white and black Christians as there are anywhere else throughout the United States.

I still advocate for separation between Church and State, though. Nothing against people of a conventional/traditional faith but I don't think even Christians have a consistent belief other than that Christ was their Savior.
  • David TheBadOne 2012/11/23 20:55:26 (edited)
    David
    Religion is like a virus, it transcends both race and gender (just like stupidity). Living in CA, the environment is set up where joining a church group is easy. The mega corporation like churches such as Saddle-back have a systematized way for attracting newcomers. I've seen tourists go there (wtf) and many non-religious people just go to church for socializing.
  • CAPISCE David 2012/11/23 23:19:28
    CAPISCE
    +1
    Typical Hate and intolerance from an atheist.
    I have been exposingAtheistt hate for two days, it's a beautiful thing and very easy to do, thanks for your help.
  • lm1b2 2012/11/23 16:59:38
    YES
    lm1b2
    +4
    This is a Christian Nation,and always has been!
  • Heptarch lm1b2 2012/11/23 17:50:30
    Heptarch
    +4
    Nope. It's a secular nation populated predominantly by Christian people.
  • lm1b2 Heptarch 2012/11/24 15:26:19
    lm1b2
    Like I said a Christian Nation,by the way,founded by Christians on Christian principles.
  • Heptarch lm1b2 2012/11/24 15:49:58 (edited)
    Heptarch
    +1
    Everything you just said is false.

This country has no official religion, therefor it is not a Christian Nation.

It was not founded by Christians, it was founded by men with a variety of religious beliefs.

It was not founded on Christian principles, but rather on the secular rule of law.
  • lm1b2 Heptarch 2012/11/24 16:34:28
    lm1b2
    It was founded by Christian Men,based on Christian principles,you are ether stupid,or ignorant,i would guess both!
  • Heptarch lm1b2 2012/11/24 16:37:38
    Heptarch
    +1
    I find it exquisitely ironic that someone who is misinformed about American history would call someone ELSE stupid and ignorant.

You're flat out wrong. Everyone like you is flat out wrong. The country was formed as a secular nation by men of varying religions. That is fact.
  • lm1b2 Heptarch 2012/11/26 01:23:38
    lm1b2
    Law derived from Christian values,your right we have no official Religion,we have a christian value called Freedom of Religion which these Christian Men put into our Constitution.You can deny it all you want,but we owe everything to Christian Men DAU!
  • Heptarch lm1b2 2012/11/26 12:16:51 (edited)
    Heptarch
    +1
    "Law derived from Christian values"

No, law derived from English common law and the writings of philosophers, mainly Locke and Hume.

"values,your right we have no official Religion,we have a christian value called Freedom of Religion which these Christian Men put into our Constitution."

LOL Um, no. Freedom of Religion is far from a Christian concept. Is your education in history so deficient that you haven't heard about the Crusades? Or witch hunts? Or the colonization of the Americas? Or any of the innumerable conflicts between Christianity and other religions?

Freedom of Religion is a secular concept.

And I told you before, the Founding Fathers were a VARIETY of religions. They were not all Christians.

"You can deny it all you want,but we owe everything to Christian Men"

It's not denial, kiddo, it's accuracy.
  • Walt 2012/11/23 15:59:15
    YES
    Walt
    +1
    Yes, I realized that the U.S. is a Christian nation.
  • CAPISCE Walt 2012/11/23 17:03:04
    CAPISCE
    +2
    78% and 95% of those with faith was surprising to me
  • Heptarch Walt 2012/11/23 17:50:59
    Heptarch
    No it's not. It's a secular nation populated predominantly by Christian people.
  • Walt Heptarch 2012/11/23 18:25:30
    Walt
    Yeah. Well apparently facts and numbers can be shown to you, but you will still refuse to acknowledge them.
  • Heptarch Walt 2012/11/23 18:31:47
    Heptarch
    +3
    Facts show that this is a secular nation. Our Founding Fathers made it such.

Yes, it is populated predominantly by Christians. But that does not make us a Christian nation.
  • yaaarrrggghhh 2012/11/23 15:53:46
    YES
    yaaarrrggghhh
    +3
    We are a majority Christian nation. But that majority doesn't count.
  • doomsquirrel 2012/11/23 15:48:16
    no
    doomsquirrel
    don't really care
  • NarcolepticGoat 2012/11/23 15:45:26
    no
    NarcolepticGoat
    +1
    I did not know the exact numbers, no
  • Magniloquence 2012/11/23 15:19:20
    YES
    Magniloquence
    +2
    There is a big differende between "identifying" with a Christian faith and "being" Christian. In the first instance most of these people will go to a Christian church for weddings and funerals only. Some will go to a service at Easter and/or Christmas.
    "Being" a Christian entails going to church regularly, although that, in itself, is not enough. There is a lot more to actually being a Christian than just going to church, (which is beyond the scope of any posts here to explain).
  • terrabytes 2012/11/23 15:16:59
    YES
    terrabytes
    +3
    I know that a lot of peop[le claim to be Christian but don't really understand what that means.
  • Clay Slayer 2012/11/23 15:15:26
    no
    Clay Slayer
    +2
    How in the world can there be that many delusional people?LMAO
  • CAPISCE Clay Sl... 2012/11/23 16:46:35
    CAPISCE
    +1
    Merry Christmas
  • Clay Sl... CAPISCE 2012/11/23 16:50:12
    Clay Slayer
    and a happy soltice to you...
  • CAPISCE Clay Sl... 2012/11/23 16:50:52
    CAPISCE
    Thank You, I celebrate it as well.
  • Katherine 2012/11/23 15:14:34
    YES
    Katherine
    +1
    Christian In Name Only? Put up a Christmas tree and go shopping but follow none of the rules? They should do a survey of how many attend religious service and which. Well, it might yield SLIGHTLY more accurate results, yah?
  • Narcole... Katherine 2012/11/23 15:44:40
    NarcolepticGoat
    not really. I knew of at least one non-believer who went to church weekly because he thought his kids should be raised that way.
  • Magnilo... Narcole... 2012/11/23 17:12:53
    Magniloquence
    +1
    Yes. There are many reasons why people go to church: Their husband/wife wants them to; their boss goes to church and it would be a good idea to impress him; people would get a 'good impression' of you and not suspect you of being a murderer, rapist or paedophile, etc.
    Just because someone goes to church does not necessarily mean they are real Christians. That is why a lot of people say that so many Christians are hypocrites. The thing is that most of those who seem like hypocrites are not really Christian deep down. I believe that Satan uses these people to discredit Christianity.
  • CAPISCE Magnilo... 2012/11/23 17:19:34
    CAPISCE
    +2
    Fact is people can have strong beliefs in Christianity but they are only human---they will sin and quite often. The misconception is Christians are suppose to be able to act like Jesus----that's not possible
  • Magnilo... CAPISCE 2012/11/23 17:44:41
    Magniloquence
    +1
    Also, If folk know that you are a Christian they expect you to be a college graduate in theology. They don't think that Christians (like any schollar) have to go through the 'grades', then 'high school' and then 'college' before they know as much as non-Christians EXPECT them to know. And even then some Christians spend less time than others studying and will never know as much as more 'advanced' Christians.
    Besides that, studying will give you 'head knowledge' which does not always reach the heart.
  • Heptarch Magnilo... 2012/11/23 17:54:04
    Heptarch
    "Also, If folk know that you are a Christian they expect you to be a college graduate in theology. "

I think they're just expected to know what they believe and why.
  • Magnilo... Heptarch 2012/11/23 18:34:49
    Magniloquence
    They generally do.
    It is the "trap" questions they cannot answer.
    There are hundreds of quotations from the Bible that secular people latch onto, which have been either taken completely out of context or have been (deliberately or otherwise) misunderstood and presented to young (inexperienced) Christians.
    Satan tried this tactic with Jesus in the desert. Jesus, however, knew the scriptures better than Satan did.
    Besides all this, when atheists, etc ask a Christian to explain a point of faith, they are usually not interested in the answer and do not listen. Instead their minds are searching for the next question they think they can trap the Christian with.
    I am happy to spend any amount of time explaining my faith to anyone who I believe is GENUINELY interested in learning. If I believe that they are merely out to trap me I am not interested - even if they think that they have 'won' the arguement. What they think does not really bother me.

2014/07/26 13:19:17