French Company Makes 'Loungerie' for Little Girls: Cute or Inappropriate?

First, there were padded bikini tops for little girls. Now, there's lingerie?

Make that "loungerie." French company Jours Apres Lunes is causing a stir with its line of "loungerie" (lounge wear) for girls 4-12, as well as its depictions of little girls.

The young girls who model the Fille collection wear makeup, pearls and sunglasses, and simply look too mature for their age.

Marilisa Racco, fashion writer and author of Le Snob Lingerie, says its the way the girls were photographed that got people upset, not the "loungerie" itself.

"It's cute when a little girl dresses up in her mom's clothing and jewelry and high heels," she told The New York Daily News. "These pictures are not cute. It's entirely inappropriate to put a 4-year-old in a bouffant like she's Brigitte Bardot in 'And God Created Woman.'

"It's inappropriate to sexualize children," she added. "A pearl-encrusted triangle bra on a little girl does not sit well with me."

Let's face it: Most girls age 4-12 don't even need fancy bras. And the ones who do are usually fine with the ones mom buys at Target.

It's been said before but we'll say it again: Why don't we just let kids be kids? There's plenty of time in life for wasting money at Victoria's Secret.

• Wayne 2011/08/18 18:03:19 (edited)
    Inappropriate
    Wayne
    +12
    What's with kids having to look 'sexy' lately? It's not cute, it's disturbing. Instead of making them look like little floozies, let them enjoy their childhood and be a kid, happy and ignorant. What stuff like this does is take away a child's innocence. I have two words for this kind of stuff: Just stop.

• Erin Innocent 2011/12/10 17:28:34
    Inappropriate
    Erin Innocent
    it should be for teens, and young women
    heck, they can be for anyone but NOT KIDS
    that's just....wrong/creepy
  • Neil Humphrey 2011/09/29 20:59:38
    Inappropriate
    Neil Humphrey
    Creepy!!!
  • Joe 2011/09/27 14:15:58
    Inappropriate
    Joe
    I think Toddlers & Tiaras is wrong...breast feeding baby dolls...now this? I don't get this at all
  • stu 2011/09/27 04:16:20
    Inappropriate
    stu
    this is getting ridiculous. there is a ton of negativity out there about how this generation is really bad and having sex way too young. there's a reason. people are treating them like porn stars and people who are ready to have sex. let them have a childhood before they ruin their life
  • yellowcindy 2011/09/26 17:01:31
    Inappropriate
    yellowcindy
    +1
    Really?! lingerie and little girls should not even be in the same paragraph...let alone the same sentence.
  • Kelexadrie 2011/09/26 11:53:31
    Inappropriate
    Kelexadrie
    We should be trying to keep our childrens innocence there for as long as possible not making them up like grownups. they should be little boys and little girls. If you dress your child up like that when they are young what are they going to turn out like as teenagers.
  • Tim 2011/09/26 05:01:24
    Inappropriate
    Tim
    +1
    God dammit France, now you're just asking for it.
  • Erin In... Tim 2011/12/10 17:30:15
    Erin Innocent
    the french are sterotyped as pervy, and its for things like this
  • Michael 2011/09/25 23:33:22
    Inappropriate
    Michael
    Disgusting, and then we wonder why they have sex too young.
  • Autumn 2011/09/25 23:24:55
    Inappropriate
    Autumn
    I don't get this new obsession with sexifying little girls. They are little! Let them be young! Why does a little girl need to look grown up? When I was 4 I wore footie pajamas with barbie on them!
  • Bellatrix232 2011/09/25 11:15:32
    Inappropriate
    Bellatrix232
    extremely inappropriate
  • Emily 2011/09/24 18:23:52
    Inappropriate
    Emily
    Making them grow up too fast; whisking away childhood in one swift word- loungerie.
  • Luke 2011/09/24 17:25:58
    Inappropriate
    Luke
    Cut it out already.... THEY ARE ONLY KIDS!!!
  • Funky Monk 2011/09/24 16:41:23
    Inappropriate
    Funky Monk
  • Chika Aimi 2011/09/24 16:02:36
    Inappropriate
    Chika Aimi
    wow when i was a kid playing dress up involved dressing in dresses and playing around the house not dressing as a hoe.

theres nothing wrong with playing dress up,but parents shoudnt let there kids dress like that
    it wrong theres so many creeps out there!!
  • lm1b2 2011/09/24 15:56:07
    Inappropriate
    lm1b2
    Sick comes to mind!
  • Fresno State Fan CB-05 2011/09/24 04:10:28
    Inappropriate
    Fresno State Fan CB-05
    Highly Inappropriate.
    But we are talking about France. The country where incest was totally legal until last year.
  • Indie 2011/09/24 03:14:12
    Inappropriate
    Indie
    Kids need to be kids and not worry about this kind of things... This is ridiculous!!!
  • Mr Dandelion 2011/09/21 05:17:53
    Inappropriate
    Mr Dandelion
    Kids aren't barbie dolls- let them just be kids.
  • Pake Jitts 2011/09/01 22:40:26
    Inappropriate
    Pake Jitts
    +1
    did u know theres a thong underwear brand for 10 yr olds called " Wink Wink"?
  • demon Destroyer aka Bash 2011/08/25 01:14:00
    Inappropriate
    demon Destroyer aka Bash
    that is going to far.
  • Sayer Stewart 2011/08/23 15:44:49
    Cute
    Sayer Stewart
    There is nothing sexual about these pictures.
  • Emily Sayer S... 2011/09/24 18:24:49
    Emily
    For kids as young as four! In a bra! Grow up!
  • Hugo 2011/08/23 09:09:16
    Inappropriate
    Hugo
    We are talking about small kids, they'll do what they are told but it doesn't mean it is correct. They might look CUTE, FUNNY, INOCENT, OR ANYTHING ELSE YOU WANT but mentally they are not prepare for that type of attention, these could bring them problems if the near and/or far future. Psychological when they think of how society, that is supose to protect them, treated them. And physically because it puts them in the eyes of every predator out there. What's next, are they going to put them as centerfold of Playboy?????
  • rk 2011/08/23 05:38:02
    Inappropriate
    rk
    +1
    Let kids be kids. This is crap
  • Captain Hindsight 2011/08/22 20:47:38
    Inappropriate
    Captain Hindsight
    Horrible.
  • Rusticus 1773 2011/08/21 03:22:21
    Inappropriate
    Rusticus 1773
    +1
    A creepy direction for a business to go.
  • Dr.CleoDactyl 2011/08/21 02:24:51
    Inappropriate
    Dr.CleoDactyl
    +1
    absurd.
  • Ki 2011/08/21 02:22:36
    Inappropriate
    Ki
    remember when dressing up was throwing on a big hat lipstick and mums shoes? Girls think they have to be little sex kittens at age 8 and its unsettling.
  • La 2011/08/20 15:15:52
    Cute
    La
    +1
    There is nothing wrong with the two pictures depicted :/ There's nothing sexual about them at all.
  • bambinoclipper 2011/08/20 05:15:51
    Inappropriate
    bambinoclipper
    +1
    I think children should keep their innocence as long as they can. Being a kid is a great thing and there is plenty of time to be a grown up and where grown up clothes.
  • John Storz 2011/08/20 01:49:50
    Inappropriate
    John Storz
    +1
    Another treat from the French, harbor er's of every pedophile that has fled the US... I'm sure some of the line is appropriate however how they choose to pose their models and glamorize the "sexy 6 year old kicking it" in her cute top and panties is not.

It causes me to question not only the morality and motives of the photographer, but the sanity of the child models parents... they're probably related to our "pageant moms"...
  • Ira 2011/08/19 22:12:22
    Cute
    Ira
    I think it depends on which country the question is asked in. In the US, people tend to be prudish and discount their sexuality. But, having said that, there should be NOTHING sensual about little girls esp. in advertising.

I see no need for the lipstick and bouffant on this beautiful child. It absolutely adds to a sexual mystique in the minds of depraved men who jerk off to this stuff. Does that mean it is wrong to publish little girls looking like little ladies? Again, in context, not a real issue. In the wrong context, its despicable.

There is no way this can be an absolutely inappropriate thing to publish. However, I do not see the point of dressing up children to look like young adults. Just because you can for the sake of some art form, doesn't mean it should be done.

My daughter was alway diminutive in stature and that reflected in her secondary sexual characteristics. While most of the girls in her class upon entering JHS or HS had breast development, our daughter had nothing. She became self conscious about it and insisted on wearing a padded bra against all my objections. Her mother and her MD felt it OK. One day she is swimming and the falsies fell out. You can imagine the humiliation that occurred.

That was the last day she wore a padded any...

That was the last day she wore a padded anything as a teenager.

Time came and went and she developed into the beautiful woman she is today. Small there but tall and lean. She has had more than her share of boy friends and many more that will never be as fortunate as the ones she has allowed to court her.
  • I NEED ... Ira 2011/08/20 15:30:28
  • Ira I NEED ... 2011/08/20 15:57:16
    Ira
    I am certain that was my point as well. Thanks.
  • Sylvia 2011/08/19 22:00:32
    Inappropriate
    Sylvia
  • Depp78 2011/08/19 21:34:24
    Inappropriate
    Depp78
    +1
    This is just wrong
  • Steelshrt 2011/08/19 21:34:14
    Inappropriate
    Steelshrt
    +1
    Cute, but inappropriate.
  • misha 2011/08/19 21:31:40
    Cute
    misha
    Doesn't seem that bad to me. I had cute nightgowns and pearls as a little girl and I loved it.
  • VanillaWaferBN4 2011/08/19 21:30:22
    Inappropriate
    VanillaWaferBN4
    +1
    wow really. do we want adult men to look at our daughters and fantasize about them anymore than they already do?

2014/08/22 02:06:59