Francine Hughes Set Husband on Fire For Abuse: Is this justice?

Marilyn 2009/04/29 16:59:18
Yes, Mickey Hughes deserved his punishment...
No, Mickey Hughes did not deserve his punishment...
I think...
Francine Hughes of Dansville Michigan endured 14 years of abuse by husband Mickey Hughes, who threatened to kill her if she tried to leave him. According to the non-fiction book The Burning Bed, Francine put the kids in the car, poured gasoline around the bed, and then set it on fire. The Hughes house burned to the ground.

After confessing to the crime, Francine Hughes was found innocent by means of temporary insanity.

Did Mickey Hughes deserve to be burned alive for abusing his wife for 14 years?

• Lillith 2010/08/20 04:04:05
    Lillith
    +3
    As a victim of domestic violence I know that the "Justice" system does nothing for abused spouses. My ex-husband tried to kill me after I left him. I had his hand prints around my throat, and yes, he did go to jail. For one night, until his girlfriend could come bail him out. I got a protective order against him, to protect myself and my son, but when we finally went to divorce court the judge felt NO NEED for something as frivolous as a protective order, and dropped it so that my abusive ex husband could have unsupervised visitation with my son. I have even been forced to give him my personal phone number and physical address. It's been 3 years now, but I'm still afraid that one of these days he's going to finish the job he started on me, and next time I might not be so lucky. Was Francine Hughes justified? Absolutely. I wish I could have had the guts she did. Maybe, if I had, my ex wouldn't be able to still legally torment me.

• A Waken 2014/06/21 02:59:50
    A Waken
    Not only should Mickey Hughes have been burned alive for this, but his entire family should have been punished in an extreme manner... including his momma and daddy and siblings , nieces nephews , aunts uncles cousins, you name it.. simple as that....
    lewis findley.. post office box 4331 port wentwroth Georgia..
    912 - 358- 8846
    912- 272-9166
  • A Waken A Waken 2014/06/21 03:00:42
    A Waken
    +2
    zip code 31407
  • Brenda Church 2012/12/29 23:05:39
    Brenda Church
    Got exactly what his ass deserved, it should of been sooner
  • yvette 2012/11/14 00:03:38
    yvette
    no. I don't think that murder was the answer. We as humans don't know any better because we carry emotions. we can either be a ticking time bomb or have control over our emotions to protect us from doing evil. Francine Hughes biggest mistake was marrying him. It is more than obvious that Mickey had a very low self-esteem and I believe it was her obligation to help him through the word of God...because in these situations only God can help these women who are chained to abusive husbands. May God grant the patience, determination, and strong will for those who are victims of abuse. Look at how many lives were lost ..two of Mickey's family commited suicide....so NO! Murder is not the answer because it will do more damage than good. Save yourself from the abusive husband by exhausting all options of helping yourself before you even thinking g the unspeakable..MURDER! But before you help yourself help your mate over come his pshycological problems....find the root of the problem. GOd doesnt say return evil with evil...instead return good when evil is done to you. I'm not saying stay with your spouse and keep getting beaten. I'm saying live elsewhere until he gets proffesional help.....until you have helped his phychological state of mind...research...read books...these men are dysfunctional and you as a wife should be their helper.
  • yvette yvette 2012/12/04 18:02:55
    yvette
    It could be that Mickey had a generational curse that was passed down by his forefathers. God curses those that hate him!...and there are also other reasons why people are cursed. Mickey could have had a spirit of anger, jealousy, that tormented him and Only God himself could help him .
    "But if you harbor bitter envy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast about it or deny the truth. Such “wisdom” does not come down from heaven but is earthly, unspiritual, demonic. For where you have envy and selfish ambition, there you find disorder and every evil practice.But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere. Peacemakers who sow in peace reap a harvest of righteousness." -James 3:14-18
    The wife of Mickey had the opportunity to really help him with his problem because he told her he was going to church to help himself and she should have supported him by going to church and asking God to heal him from the evil spirit of infirmity.
  • A Waken yvette 2014/06/21 03:02:57
    A Waken
    +3
    Revelation 20;15 - And Those who were not found written in the lambs book of life were cast into the lake of fire.. this is the 2nd death.. .. ...

nuff said...
  • A Waken A Waken 2014/06/21 03:03:27
    A Waken
    +3
    lewis findley.. post office box 4331 port wentwroth Georgia.. 31407
    912 - 358- 8846
    912- 272-9166
  • Brenda ... yvette 2012/12/29 23:07:22
    Brenda Church
    +15
    it was either him or her and he was the aggressor
  • Teola7 2012/06/22 05:33:48
    I think...
    Teola7
    I think that Mickey was allowed to get away with abusing people for most of his life. He was abusive to his father, mother and Francine Hughes. But Francines biggest mistake was going back to help him after his accident. She had no help her. Mickey's mother and . his father protected him in his wrong. The law enforcement wasn't on her side either. So he got his just reward.
  • Brenda ... Teola7 2012/12/29 23:07:37
  • Angel Quinn 2012/04/24 23:30:04
    Angel Quinn
    this was too good for him... i used to be beatin alot and i used to think that it was my fault there was no help for me.... she did what she had to do that is my opinon abut it i watched this movie... this is to Lillith sweetie u have support and love dont let that lil boy control u u r a beautiful strong woman remember that and women everywhere in that situation get out get help! i was lucky God sent me a good semeritan u could say, rememeber love urself we r strong women and lil boys that wanna do that! thats not a man! they fear that :D and im w/ the 'good' semeritan a real man :) remember Lillith u have that power :D God Hears all...
  • Lillith 2010/08/20 04:04:05
    Lillith
    +3
  • coddybb... Lillith 2012/11/03 14:59:03
    coddybb1966
    +1
    Hello Lilith
    Myself also a victim of domestic violence for 12 years and at times I still believe it would go on if I was with my sons father. I watched this movie for a project I am doing in my social work class on domestic violence and it definetly brought up many emotions that I had a long time ago. The police were not there to help her than and at times I still feel it goes on in my community. I do know that we have made some positive movements towards ending this complicated and confusing issue. Though I feel burning to death has to be the worste way to die. I do believe she felt she had no other choice in the matter and I am just happy she was found innocent of all charges. God Bless
  • coddybb... Lillith 2012/11/03 15:02:08
    coddybb1966
    +1
    Hey Lilith
    go on you tube and look up Lyn Hardy and listen to her ballet I had goose bumps all over my body listening to it. Very good one
  • Jo 2010/05/04 02:02:00
    Jo
    +3
    Absolutely, and perhaps some torture before the burning would have been in order; there are some things, some crimes, that are so heinous that the perpetrator loses thier right to live in our society----this is one of them. And I always think it horribly niave whenever i hear someone say that once they've done thier time in prison, thier debt to society has been satisfied. Um, no. Not at all. The issue is how badly defective one would have to be in order to do such things, and that that same defect will manifest itself somewhere else on some other innocent victim, probably repeatedly.
  • Teola7 Jo 2012/06/22 05:34:49
    Teola7
    +3
    he went to hell a little sooner
  • sweetgee 2010/04/09 02:05:25
    sweetgee
    +1
    I don't think he deserved to die but I think she was justified. Francine Hughes dealt with years of abuse and I believe that this kind of abuse can push a woman to the edge. And she probaby had enough and did what she had to do to survive..
  • Yankee Rose 2010/02/03 20:51:46
    Yankee Rose
    +2
    I was a child who saw her mother abused, both physically and emotionaly...for many years I saw things that no child should have to see and hear. I will be forever scarred by what he did to us...when I saw the movie, The Burning Bed...I saw so many familiar things that I almost couldn't watch it, and I can't to this day. I do have the book, and it makes me sick to read. I lost so much of my childhood...I remember telling my mother that if she wanted to kill him, that I would help her. And this was before I hit my teens...I would not have cared either if she would have done it. So...for what Mickey Hughes did, not only to his wife, but also to his children, he deserved exactly what he got...I hope he suffered. My father is still alive, we do not speak, and I will not go to his funeral when his time comes. I do not care. He is already dead to me.
  • sweetgee Yankee ... 2010/04/09 02:11:59
    sweetgee
    +2
    I'm sorry to hear about that.. It must have been really hard for you. This justice system should have something to protect woman like your mother. I watched this movie and I saw that the police didn't lock mickey hughes up once. Maybe over night but it never helped her get on with her life and live healthy and happily. I believe that a woman can definitly get pushed to the edge of no return with all the abuse they sustain throughout these horrible years. I hope all is well with you and you move on and live a happy life. And continue to support your mother. It will definitly make her feel like she did something right throughout her years of misery. Good luck to you.. Take care. :)
  • bonnie ray sweetgee 2012/01/14 03:55:48
    bonnie ray
    +2
    U have no idea what it is like to live this way. To say good luck to someone that has been through this is an under statement. Thank for that but we r left with scares that u can not see. For ever they r with us. I AM A CHILD OF DOMESTIC ABUSE
  • Bonnie ... Yankee ... 2012/01/14 02:57:17
    Bonnie williams
    +3
    I know what u feel having been there my self.y father lost his memory. I went to see him in a nursing home. When he held my hand he remembered for one split moment. It hurt me so bad. He was a MARINE in the UNITED STATES. I give him that respect. But he hurt me and my sister and my MOM for years. My sister is ten years older than me I watched her and my MOM get drunk every night of my life. I was an out cast to all of this. So very young. I remember one day my dad past out on the couch. I was in the 5th grade to remind u. I tryed
  • Bonnie ... Yankee ... 2012/01/14 03:11:12
  • Bonnie ... Yankee ... 2012/01/14 03:17:34
  • Bonnie ... Yankee ... 2012/01/14 03:38:21
  • Bonnie ... Yankee ... 2012/01/14 03:41:49
  • suzanne martin 2009/12/13 06:17:25
    suzanne martin
    the laws at the time did nothing to protect francine or her children. there were hundreds of women , thousands of women in the same or simular situation as francine. If Francine had stayed in the situation eventually Mickey would have started beating the children. Francine was saving her own life and the lives of her children the only way that was available at the time. HE WOULD HAVE KILLED HER. The man had every exuse in the book and blamed everything on another, he was jelious and his behavior was probably learned behavior, meaning that his father was probably abusive to his mother, this in no way gave Mickey the right to abuse his wife in any shape or form. he would never have changed because he was bully and his actions ( he felt ) gave him power over another.on a personal note the world is well rid of him and it would be a better place if the other " Mickeys " were removed too.
  • bonnie ray suzanne... 2012/01/14 03:57:45
    bonnie ray
    +3
    The laws in the 80s sucked
  • STARR 2009/12/09 02:33:50
    STARR
    +1
    BURN THE SON OF A BITCH
  • jennifer sibley 2009/11/29 00:56:06
    jennifer sibley
    tit for tat...he should have been tortured after what he did...
  • Righteous Vengeance 2009/11/10 18:09:25 (edited)
    I think...
    Righteous Vengeance
    Do I think Mickey Hughes deserved his punishment? I've edited my first repsone to the question removing my comment concerning abortion. This action DID NOT occur because my views on the subject have suddenly taken an "about face" I was not.I persuaded, threatened or cohearsed into it., It was only indirectly relevent to the subject, and some folks might find it offensive and in poor taste.

With regard to Mickey's punishment: I still thimkl It was far too light because he was drunk and mostly likely slumbered through the ordeal. out cold, Had he been awake until he expired, perhaps the punishment would have been more suitable.

In reality, even being conscious while being burned alive, is a light sentence in comparison to the harm hid inflicted on his family! The fact that he tortured, beat, burned, raped, and terrorized his wife (who, BTW, made multiple attempts to flee) for 14 years was unthinkable in itself. His barbarism also permanently scarred the minds of four young and COMPLETELY innocent children.
    Those kids HAD NO CHOICE but tio endure a horror for which they NEVER asked, They had no say in the fact their lives were going to be ruined beyond repair at the hands of that genetically challenged cowardly misfit of science! (those were his good points!).

Here's a "...

Here's a "day in the life" with Mickey; which was recounted by his wife, Francine, during her trial. One of their daughters, who was about 11 at the time, came crying hysterically to her mom. After the little girl was able to calm down, she told her mother what happened. The girl befriended a "neighborhood cat.Earlier, Mickey told his daughter if he saw that cat again on his porch, he'd wring its neck. The girl was holding the cat, standing on the porch, and Mickey went over to her, took the cat from her arms, and broke the poor innocent cat's neck with his bare hands.! HOW CAN ANYONE WHO CALLS HIMSELF HUMAN, even THINK of doing that to an innocent creature one tenth his size?! THAT'S OFF THE MAP, PEOPLE!! There are NO words in the English language to describe a monster like him!!
    I hope Dante's "Inferno" has a 10th level, designed specifically for entities like him ("it") (I can't call something that barbaric and evil--human) An acceptable punishmnt would be, when he woke from his drunken stupor, for him to find himself burning in fires of HELL, in NEVER ENDING AGONY, for all ETERNITY, and with no possibility of escape,
  • Debbi Wil 2009/09/10 22:36:11
    I think...
    Debbi Wil
    +1
    Think of the woman and then think about the crime. I think there is one thing we are all missing here.This woman took a man's life and she would have given anything to have not done that. He did need to die though, because he would never have stopped. I have compassion for Francine she tried to leave and he would find her. She tried to tell the cops but they didn't want to help her because she was too afraid to leave. She didn't have enough money. She was a prisoner. She had been divorced for over a year and he was still acting like her husband and her warden. Francine had no choice. She should not feel guilty for doing what she had to do. I know that must be a very hard thing to deal with. To know that it's like a double edged sword. If you don't kill him he will kill you, but if you kill him you are taking a life and committing murder. if we keep calling it Domestic violence, women will keep being abused and men will keep getting away with it. IT IS A CRIME! IT SHOULD BE A FELONY!
  • Mitcher 2009/08/12 00:38:04
    Mitcher
    +3
    I could have been one of the children in this movie. My drunk father beat my mother for many many years. I would be up in my bed listening to him hurt her in the night. I would get picked up from school by a mother with 2 black eyes, missing hair, after he tried to run her off the road. My mother eventually began to hurt me. How do you raise children when you are living in terror? Honestly, if my mother had murdered my father, I wouldn't have shed a tear. He was a nightmare who didn't deserve anything else but hell. Neither did mickey Hughes.
  • Donna Mitcher 2010/06/17 11:57:23
    Donna
    +3
    I too could have been one of the children in this movie. My parents were publican's and my father's temper was always sparked by jealousy, not drink, if my mother spoke to another male customer longer than my father deemed reasonable, as soon as the pub shut, all hell would brake loose, I remember on countless occations, where my brother and I at young teens, tried to pull my father from my mother's throat, over the course of 17 years, he managed to break all of her ribs but one, her collar bone, her jaw, many times, her black eyes were too many to count, she has multiple broken blood vessles, dislocated shoulder's, broken knee. The horror's my siblings and I grew up to watch has had an immense effect on all of our lives, this film portrayed so many things I could recognise from my childhood, it was scary. Although I love my father, in the end at the age of 14years old, I begged my mother to leave him, I even packed her bags along with mine and my sister's, we left with nothing, and for 5 years he hunted her, in the end she re-married just to keep him a bay, and for a while it worked. Men like my father and Mickey Hughes, cause so much damage, to so many, not just the one their beatings are centered on. IF truth be known, and more woman were as brave as Francine, there would be bed's being burnt all over the world right now, and rightly so, I hope she has found peace, and love
  • Randal Bridges 2009/07/27 19:58:51
    Randal Bridges
    +1
    After viewing This movie in 1984, I was shocked at Ms. Fawcett's performance. Farrah was totally believable as Francine Hughes. Paul LeMat was despicable as the abusive husband. I think Francine tried everything to get help, but the law was so lame back then. I think Ms Hughes did the the one thing that she thought she could do to get away from him, once and for all, kill him. From what I have read, Ms Hughes life has been far from a fairytale since the incident in 1977.
  • norma 2009/05/05 03:42:56
    norma
    i am so tired of men abusing of women and no one doing nothing...its time women take matters in to their own hands
  • valerie 2009/05/03 05:42:36
    valerie
    As I am sitting here reading the comments written by people, I find myself wondering how many of you have actually had someone beat you? How many of you have literally been knocked off you feet with the slapp across the face? how many of you have been threatened with death? I lived through this and I did not kill my husband but there were times that I thought about it. So unless you walk a mile in Francine or my shoes....you don't know what you will do.
  • carlykabam 2009/05/01 22:23:04
    I think...
    carlykabam
    I think the abuse it horrible, but she should have called the police or ran away or something. But I guess as a last resort it's acceptable. She was pushed way too far.
  • Leura R... carlykabam 2012/07/31 19:28:10
    Leura Rosecrants
    +2
    my mom was a close friend to francine's oldest child Christy. She did call the police many of times.... during that time, they couldn't do anything unless they actually saw the abuse happening. As for running away, she did that as well. He always found her. Its all in the book and the movie.
  • Beccy 2009/05/01 01:52:46
    I think...
    I think she cracked after the abuse. I do think that women who live in abusive situations are in a double bind. If they leave they live in poverty and if they stay they live in hell.
  • The Bantam Seditioner 2009/04/30 22:10:55
    The Bantam Seditioner
    As easy as it is to recognize the fact that this guy was an irredeemable dirtbag, the concept of Proportionality in Retributive Force makes it difficult for me to justify the killing of this particular abuser.

2014/07/24 21:44:22