Foreign products just not made as good as American ...

pepper5419 2012/09/09 16:44:54
My daughter and her husband purchased a model home.They were in line to have the builder build a new home but,in the process the builder went bankrupt and their only choices were to lose their down payment or take this model home.The home was mostly already furnished and being a model home the builder picked out top of the line furniture and accessories.Well like everything you buy now the house came with warranties to cover all the appliances.It had the side by side washer and dryer,a dish washer,a waste and garbage disposal for underneath the sink,a really nice frig with an ice maker,a new central air unit,etc...Everything is foreign made.The washer and dryer,the dish washer,the disposal,the frig,the air conditioner,all have needed repairs within the two years.Their only worry now is what happens when the warranties expire in a year or two,then what? Everything,all of it is foreign made.I bought an Asian made HD TV that lasted long enough for the warranty to end.I remember my parents that had an American made TV that lasted 15 years without any problems.Cheaply made foreign goods doesn't necessarily mean you get a good product at a cheap price BC the American name brand appliances that I grew up with are all foreign made today.We need those name brands to start making better made products here again.

• Beat Magnum True Hero 2012/09/09 20:34:15
    Beat Magnum True Hero
    It really depends on the product and what it is used for. US made appliances, tools, and heavy equipment tends to still be some of the best out there. America is still home to one of the world's two largest commercial jet manufacturers. The Japanese make excellent cameras (Cannon, Nikon), passenger cars (compact and midsize cars still have a better build quality than their domestic counterparts), motorcycles (ask Harley how many FIM Superbike titles they've won), and electronics (Yamaha, Panasonic, Technics, Sony). Germans (and their Austrian cousins) make good tools and home appliances. They also make excellent firearms and cars.

The American auto industry is still a joke. Chrysler and GM are building foreign cars with cheap plastic parts and pretending to be great "American" brands. Ford is the only domestic actually building a solid domestic product.
  • marty 2012/09/09 17:52:41
    marty
    I think that even though American products may "cost more," they have better quality. I trust foreign countries with certain products as much or more than US-made (e.g. Swiss watches, German tools, Japanese cars). The myth that Americans "can't or won't make certain goods" is bogus. If every market tried to price their goods and labor to compete with the world market, American farmers' pay alone would be far above the substandard living in certain Asian nations. Does EVERY product need to be made/priced for the rest of the world? Focus on one group/community/region, first.
  • Bingo's Faddah 2012/09/09 17:36:07
    Bingo's Faddah
    Not much made in the US any more thanks to your government. Cars still are occasionally and the Japanese, Germans, Swedes and Italians still make better cars than "Detroit".
  • Beat Ma... Bingo's... 2012/09/09 20:21:55
    Beat Magnum True Hero
    +1
    And more cars on US soil than "detroit" too.
  • Bingo's... Beat Ma... 2012/09/09 23:25:31
    Bingo's Faddah
    That's a great point man! Time was when the Americans had auto factories in foreign countries. Life was OK in the US back then; I was there. Now the opposite has happened. Americans should have freaked out when the first foreign car company (Toyota?) opened a plant there. Hindsight is wonderful, isn't it?

Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I never avoid a chance to learn.
    true for most
  • JMCC 2012/09/09 16:52:27
    JMCC
    Sadly the concept of "built in obsolescence" is now a common thing in the construction of products around the world.

Testing to destruction means that the engineers know to within a small margin exactly how many hours life a component will have. This means that most manufacturers warrantee their products for a period that they know that 95% will make before they start failing.

In todays world manufacturers want repeat custom and therefore do not build to last, it has nothing to do with cost...

2014/04/17 07:16:34