FOR THOSE WHO ARE RELIGIOUS: WHY DO YOU BOTHER DEBATING RELIGION WITH ATHEISTS?

Magical 2012/08/03 22:40:19

What is the point of those who hold religious beliefs to engage in debates with Atheists? I have seen many such debates on these polls - whether it be Atheists vs. Christianity, Scientology, Judaism, etc. These debates go nowhere. The Atheists believe that all religion is bogus, myth and fantasy, and the religious believe otherwise. They go round and round in circles - often resorting to insults and name calling -- and to what end? For everyone to vent? I haven't seen any Atheist swayed by any religious arguments or vice versa. So my question to those who are religious - why bother? What is the point? What do you hope to achieve?

• Dolly 2012/08/04 07:27:26
    Dolly
    +1
    I can only speak as the adopted daughter of Mormon parents and the natural daughter of two parents who found happiness for a time in Scientology. I have grown up listening to both sets of parents debating everything in life, sometimes they were just trying to get the facts out there correctly.
  • Metaldane 2012/08/04 04:32:36
    Metaldane
    +1
    Well I've actually had some awesome debates with em it doesn't have to be hostile many people just take it that way I guess having been atheist before I chose to be a pagan helps me get where they're coming from.
  • Truth Matters 2012/08/04 00:24:51 (edited)
    Truth Matters
    1) Because beliefs have huge implications. If God does not exist, no moral truth or duties exist, no value or significance or purpose to life exists. The question is enormously significant.

2) Because it's important for Atheists to realize Atheism is indefensible in reason. Atheism is absolutely absurd when it's logical implications are exposed to reason.

Most Atheists have no clue what Atheism implies.
  • HarleyCharley 2012/08/04 00:16:57
    HarleyCharley
    nope....
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾ 2012/08/04 00:06:07
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    For the Lulz lulz
  • BurntMuffin 2012/08/03 23:36:01
    BurntMuffin
    +1
    The internet is full of people that want to argue. I think it's because people feel more powerful behind the computer screen. I'm atheist and I get into some debates sometimes, but never to put down religion, I'm just here to fight for gay rights and such.
    +1
    I don't I have a good friend who is one and we seldom talk religion

2014/10/24 13:50:01