For the haters. Chew on this

demon Destroyer aka Bash 2012/06/17 17:01:27
Related Topics: Image, Images, 6, SodaHead

Telling it like it is

• David Hussey 2012/06/17 19:29:24
    David Hussey
    +4
    Good on you Clint! Gay marriage is just a partisan wedge issue dragged out come election time to divide the public and shift attention off the real issue.... namely that both sides are effing us big time.

• elijahin24 2012/06/18 19:10:18
    elijahin24
    +1
    What's not to love about Clint Eastwood. It is so simple, and yet so many just don't get it.
  • bricklyn 2012/06/18 02:08:15
    bricklyn
    +1
    I always loved Clint.

He knows when he is right and he knows when he is wrong. He resigned as mayor of Carmel when he knew he was terrible at it. You have to admire a man like that.
    +1
    He does say it straight - absolutely my favorite republican
  • peaches 2012/06/17 20:41:56
    peaches
    +1
    Agree. It's not right to force your beliefs onto someone by not allowing them to pursuit happiness.
  • Radical Ed 2012/06/17 20:41:46
  • Picasso's Cat 2012/06/17 20:24:59
    Picasso's Cat
    coke an peanuts
    You can eat the peanuts out of my coke any time Clint.

(coke and peanuts being the ultimate drink in my opinion)
  • demon D... Picasso... 2012/06/17 20:30:33
  • Picasso... demon D... 2012/06/17 20:34:52
    Picasso's Cat
    You should try it, coke an peanuts is a real good drink.
  • demon D... Picasso... 2012/06/17 20:36:43
    demon Destroyer aka Bash
    +1
    OK just for you... Salted or unsalted?
  • Picasso... demon D... 2012/06/17 20:41:29 (edited)
    Picasso's Cat
    Salted, unsalted is a sin, Lol.

coke and peanuts
    Everyone should have this survival kit in their home at all times, Lol
  • ★misfit★ 2012/06/17 20:22:17
    ★misfit★
    +3
    I feel the same. While as a Christian homosexuality is against my beliefs, I don't feel I have the right to force my beliefs on everyone else. With people getting divorced right and left, there is no "sanctity" in the institution of marriage anymore. It's up to the couple getting married to make it have true meaning. I may not approve of someone getting married to a toaster, but it won't effect my or anyone else's marriage if that's what they really want to do. We need to be focusing on fixing the economy and taking back our freedoms, not what people are doing in their bedrooms.
  • MidnightCowboy 2012/06/17 19:34:01
    MidnightCowboy
    +3
    Wise words from Dirty Harry.
  • David Hussey 2012/06/17 19:29:24
    David Hussey
    +4
  • cate 2012/06/17 19:23:06
    cate
    +2
    If that was a prayer, Mr. Eastwood, I say "Amen!"
  • demon D... cate 2012/06/17 19:23:56
    demon Destroyer aka Bash
    +2
    Amen to that
  • Will 2012/06/17 18:49:22
    Will
    +1
    Well it is their choice.

live and let live
  • Christopher Kirchen 2012/06/17 18:03:49
    Christopher Kirchen
    Chew on THIS; I don't get my opinions from Whoreliwood.
  • demon D... Christo... 2012/06/17 18:53:15
    demon Destroyer aka Bash
    +1
    where do you?
  • elijahin24 demon D... 2012/06/18 19:11:43
    elijahin24
    +1
    Fox news.
  • demon D... elijahin24 2012/06/19 00:34:27
  • elijahin24 demon D... 2012/06/19 13:32:33
  • Chris- Demon of the PHAET 2012/06/17 17:36:18
    Chris- Demon of the PHAET
    +2
    That's a lot or words for Clint. I agree. :-)
  • L1 2012/06/17 17:32:51
    L1
    +1
    Agreed!
  • sockpuppet 2012/06/17 17:21:20
    sockpuppet
    +3
    Yeah, that's the way I feel, as well. I just wonder why progressive thinkers fail to criticize Muslims for their misogynistic, homophobic attitudes and actions. Another
    great American double standard.
  • Pixie·Ÿ... sockpuppet 2012/06/17 17:24:25
  • sockpuppet Pixie·Ÿ... 2012/06/17 17:32:30
    sockpuppet
    +2
    I've met a lot more Conservatives who aren't like that AT ALL, but we all get tarred with the same brush, regardless. It's fashionable hatred.
  • Pixie·Ÿ... sockpuppet 2012/06/17 17:34:26
  • Chris- ... sockpuppet 2012/06/17 17:35:23 (edited)
    Chris- Demon of the PHAET
    +1
    Agreed.
  • elijahin24 sockpuppet 2012/06/18 19:13:06
    elijahin24
    For the same reason we don't criticize Christians for the same thing: because it isn't ALL Muslims, or Christians who are guilty. We try to limit our criticism to the guilty parties. In this case, we're talking about religious fanatics.
  • sockpuppet elijahin24 2012/06/18 19:29:28
    sockpuppet
    Some might endeavor to be more specific, but as a non-religious fiscal Conservative with certain socially Liberal leanings, I'm acutely aware of such blanket indictments. It's the rule, rather than the exception. Conservative = evangelical redneck fatcat. This may be a Liberal rallying point, or part of a belittling strategy on behalf of the Democrats-- in any case, it cheapens your assertion that you're selective with your criticisms. The word "haters" springs appropriately to mind. :O)
  • elijahin24 sockpuppet 2012/06/18 19:34:06
    elijahin24
    Evangelicals tend to be the fanatics. Why do you think they evangelize? They think that everyone must agree with them, or burn in Hell. I grew up in an evangelical church. I know of where I speak.
  • sockpuppet elijahin24 2012/06/19 04:32:12
    sockpuppet
    A convenient figurehead to impose on one's political opponents.

Disagree with a Liberal on any issue, and you're a fundamentalist bigot, a misogynist and/or a homophobe. Doesn't have to make sense... only chaos.

Matters of fiscal responsibility, national security and non-interventionism take on racial implications simply because our chief policymaker is black.

No debates-- only shout-downs. Not our fault-- yours.

I live in both camps, but I'd rather be known as a Conservative because this is where grownup decisions are made-- regardless of our apparent record on social issues. Without an economy, a military and the willingness to mind our own business, all the social issues become irrelevant. (see below)

moot points
  • elijahin24 sockpuppet 2012/06/19 13:37:03
    elijahin24
    +1
    The problem here is that you're painting ALL Liberals and Liberal arguments with the same brush. If you disagree with me on something, and you have a rational, fact-based point; I may or may not be persuaded, but it doesn't make you a racist or a sexist, or anything else. It just means we disagree. But if your point is entirely drenched in bigotry, I'm going to call you a bigot. I admit that some on my side have over-used terms like this one; but that doesn't mean it NEVER applies. And frankly, if American Conservatives would do a better job of calling out the bigots who make the rest of them look bad, for what they are; they wouldn't have the collective reputation of BEING bigoted.
  • sockpuppet elijahin24 2012/06/19 14:39:15
    sockpuppet
    Well... this thread is all about misdirection and the denigration of one's opponents as "homophobes," religious freaks and busybodies.

As much as I would like to see people happily married to those they love --regardless of gender-- it's a major can of worms.

While there *are* kooky, anti-gay slogans being hurled, there is also a laundry list of serious implications and conflicts that arise from the half-assed way this whole thing has gone down. It was shrugged off by the Feds and shoved through by the States... just in time for elections. It's a quick fix that leaves unwary citizens open to all sorts of political mischief.

But the climate for rational discussion is not good, lately. Too many gleeful witch-hunts.
  • elijahin24 sockpuppet 2012/06/19 14:47:29
    elijahin24
    So other than basic bigotry, what is the reason for disallowing same-sex marriage?
  • sockpuppet elijahin24 2012/06/20 05:09:50 (edited)
    sockpuppet
    +1
    I'm not talking about disallowing it-- they should be able to marry, the same as straight couples do. Key words: "the same". ,':O\

The feds shrugged it off and certain states shoved it through in various forms with no eye toward uniformity or reciprocity. Gay unions aren't universally recognized across the US.

That's a big deal, but there are all the Federal rights and guarantees that don't apply AT ALL to gay couples. This includes matters of federal tax status, citizenship, social security, pension plans, insurance, liability for debt, eligibility for welfare/disability, testimonial privileges, child custody and medicate status.

And the UCMJ is yet another can of worms, if any service members are involved.

To elaborate on a few of these things, here's a Ctrl-V from the Wiki (emphasis mine):

------the quote starteth here----- :O)

Legal costs associated with obtaining domestic partner documents to gain legal abilities granted automatically by legal marriage, including power of attorney, health care decision-making, and inheritance.

A legal spouse can inherit an unlimited amount from the deceased without incurring an estate tax but a same-sex partner would have to pay the ESTATE TAX on the inheritance from her/his partner.

Same-sex couples are NOT eligible to fi...

------the quote starteth here----- :O)

Same-sex couples are NOT eligible to file jointly as a married couple and thus cannot take the advantages of lower tax rates when the individual income of the partners differs significantly.

Only 18% of companies offer domestic partner health care benefits.

Taxation of same-sex spouse health insurance benefits when provided by an employer, unlike like benefits provided to a heterosexual couple

Higher health costs associated with lack of insurance and preventative care: 20% of same-sex couples have a member who is uninsured compared to 10% of married opposite-sex couples

Inability to protect jointly-owned home from loss due to costs of potential medical catastrophe

Inability for a U.S. citizen to extend citizenship to same-sex partner

While state laws grant full marriage rights (Connecticut, Iowa, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York and Vermont) or some or all of the benefits under another name (New Jersey, Washington, California, etc.), these state laws do NOT extend the benefits of marriage on the Federal level, and most states do NOT currently recognize same-sex marriages, domestic partnerships, or civil unions from other states.

------end of quoted material-----

Here's a couple of links, if you're into it. It all needs to be hashed out. Plus, there's the matter of re-defining "a marriage" as the phrase is known in law. You can bet there will be legal implications there, as well-- there are ravenous lawyers already working on it.

In any case, it's all about winning votes without actually doing anything.

People deserve better than this. It pisses me off that he's half-assed another huge project like Guantanamo, Afghanistan, healthcare, TARP and his ill-conceived 'green' agenda, and will certainly win votes for his efforts.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-enc...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin...

Sorry for the length on this pig. Guess I'm not making it any shorter by tacking on an apology, eh? :O)
  • elijahin24 sockpuppet 2012/06/20 13:21:04
    elijahin24
    +1
    I agree that this needs to be handled at the federal level. But it needs to be handled. Slavery wasn't abolished at the federal level, until there was enough demand in the individual states. Same was true of Civil Rights, Womens Suffrage, interracial marriage, etc. Wars are won, one battle at a time. Also, whether or not President Obama has gone far enough, he has gone farther than anyone who has worked in that office before him; and that's not nothing.
  • sockpuppet elijahin24 2012/06/20 13:45:53
    sockpuppet
    +1
    We get the government we deserve.
  • elijahin24 sockpuppet 2012/06/20 13:54:36
    elijahin24
    +1
    That's mostly true.

2014/07/30 23:29:09