Food stamps for sale?

technotrucker 2010/10/17 01:03:55
This crap pisses me off!
I don't care what people do with their food stamp cards
Another Technotrucker rant.

The other day, I was in a small town
in South Carolina. I was out buying groceries to restock my truck for my
travels. I pulled into the parking lot of a local grocery chain.
Being
truck drivers are often hit up for donations, and sometimes targets for
unscrupulous types, I am always scanning the area and taking not of my
environment. People seem to see truckers as easy marks, sympathetic to a
good sob story for a couple of dollars for gas to help someone make it
home. When in reality these people are more than likely going to buy
another 40 ounce, or another rock to support their habit. They often
times work entire parking lots of truck stops in teams, pool their money
and then off they go to support the local crack dealer. It is a
constant irritation for those in the industry. The real problem is, some
of the people you come across could honestly be in need of some
assistance, yet they end up lumped into the group with all the rest,
simply because the stories all sound the same after awhile.

I
step out of my truck and notice a man that looked out of place. Longish
hair, hundreds of dollars worth of tattoos, observing patrons that
entered and exited the grocery store.
My radar of course kicked in and put this man in my trouble category.

I
proceeded into the story did a brief bit of shopping and made my way to
the check out lanes. On my approach, low and behold, the man I observed
outside approached me and put on the, " I have a deal for you " stance
and posture. He stated to me in a low voice like a con man on the make
and said he would be glad to purchase my groceries, and could save me 10
or so dollars, if I would let him by them with his Food Stamp Card. To
which I would be grateful and hand him the cash amount of about half of
my purchase price. He made the normal sob story claim, this time it was
his power was turned off. This man was in his mid twenties, very
muscular with several paychecks worth of tattoos on his body, looking
fully able to work any number of jobs to support himself. Yet, here he
stands offering me his taxpayer supplied food stamp card for my
groceries. He then in most likelihood mozy on over to the local liquor
store, or a dealer a few blocks away. I could be wrong, however I was
more appalled at the fact that he thought that I was some sucker from
out of town, willing to help him rip off the taxpayers to supply what
ever he was truly after. I told him in a very loud voice, sorry dude, I cannot be a party to that. He simply slunked away and disappeared outside.

The food stamp card in this country is being abused daily, and is one of
many black market trading tools widely used today. It is a system
designed to help struggling families, single parents, people down on
their luck and in between jobs survive and get nutritious food in their
bellies. Instead it is used for cigarettes, alcohol, drugs and untold
other items instead. People should be outraged that people that are
truly able to fend for themselves, are able to abuse this system for
other illegal gains.

Seek the truth, or remain a victim.

peace

• DixieGirl 2011/11/04 01:33:15
    This crap pisses me off!
    DixieGirl
    I agree with your rant. It has happened to me and when you try to report no one wants to do anything about. it.
  • altha2008 2011/03/19 12:40:52
    altha2008
    What piss me off, i worked with the state for 28 years then I got parkinson's had to go out on SSDI, get around $975 per month. I do not qualify for food stamps because I have my own home and I live alone my home is free and clear, yet others with homes and cars gets them and sell them.
    I have to fight myself to not to do it, it is very tempting. I had one lady offer $400 of food stamps for $150.
    like the other guy said. it is not write I have to eat hamburger and bologna while they eat stakes
  • Heather ~Warrior Princess~ 2010/10/18 23:11:56
    This crap pisses me off!
    Heather ~Warrior Princess~
    +1
    Sadly this happens all the time...I have had it done to me once...by a lady who was carrying a Coach bag and wearing Prada shoes and big ol rock on her perfectly manicured finger. Sickens me.
  • technot... Heather... 2010/10/19 10:47:16
    technotrucker
    +1
    I am with you.

Seek the truth, or remain a victim.
    peace
  • Autumn 2010/10/18 15:00:37
    This crap pisses me off!
    Autumn
    +1
    but it probably wasn't his card. It sounds like he was a pro con man using stolen food stamp cards to put money in his pocket.
  • ChathamAve 2010/10/17 23:26:55
    This crap pisses me off!
    ChathamAve
    +1
    Obviously a common occurrence here in SC. I've had them offer to sell me their EBT card for 50% of the amount in their account and offer to have a store clerk verify the amount. I've also had them offer to pay for my groceries with their EBT card in exchange for my giving them a cash payment less than my grocery bill. The last guy followed me through Bi-Lo becoming more and more adamant that I work with him because he had just been released from jail and needed cash to buy minutes for his cell phone! I notified a clerk and the man was removed from the premises by the manager.
  • technot... ChathamAve 2010/10/17 23:30:39
    technotrucker
    +1
    That is the store I was at also. A Bi-Lo.

Seek the truth, or remain a victim.
    peace
  • Princess888 2010/10/17 22:32:54 (edited)
    This crap pisses me off!
    Princess888
    +1
    I was in Walmart, and a guy walked up to me asking if I wanted to buy some food stamps. I could not believe it. He had no shame. I told him I do not buy food stamps.
  • technot... Princes... 2010/10/17 23:01:37
    technotrucker
    It makes you ill to consider they have no guilt in asking.

Seek the truth, or remain a victim.
    peace
  • sjb 2010/10/17 17:56:55
    This crap pisses me off!
    sjb
    +1
    It's not fair for the people who are truly struggling in this country and trying to simply feed themselves and their families.
  • technot... sjb 2010/10/17 20:20:49
    technotrucker
    +1
    You are correct.

Seek the truth, or remain a victim.
    peace
  • 1239631 2010/10/17 16:27:49
    This crap pisses me off!
    1239631
    +1
    my daddy was a truck driver for many many years (he died at 63 from working SO HARD - years ago truck drivers just kept going and going especially when they had 5 children to support-some of them are the hardest workers ever-especially those born during my daddys time of 36' but anyways-i had to read what you wrote and it made me very sad.........my daddy often told me of exactly what you state here..........and he also taught me about men taking care of their families - unlike alot of men of today - so when i see a grown man like the one you described here holding a sign up on the side of the road - homeless need money - this appalls me - BUT ON THE OTHER HAND- there are alot of bad mothers who raise men to be completely unable to work - they raise this type and so this type was doomed from the beginning by a bad mother who taught him to be like this.....it breaks my heart.......
  • technot... 1239631 2010/10/17 20:22:09
    technotrucker
    +1
    Thank you.

Seek the truth, or remain a victim.
    peace
  • sabbatha 2010/10/17 13:24:24 (edited)
  • technot... sabbatha 2010/10/17 20:23:08
    technotrucker
    +1
    Yeah, I generally read people pretty well. This was not a case of need.

Seek the truth, or remain a victim.
    peace
  • sabbatha technot... 2010/10/17 20:32:58
    sabbatha
    +1
    Damn Straight!
    and Peace to you!
  • Heffeweizen 2010/10/17 12:13:12
    This crap pisses me off!
    Heffeweizen
    +2
    Many of these people have no shame. Welfare is meant as a tool to assist, not to become a lifestyle. Able bodied, able minded people on welfare for years does indeed piss me off!
  • USA 2010/10/17 11:28:25
    This crap pisses me off!
    USA
    +2
    First of all, you did the right thing. Secondly, years ago, when it was paper, I used to see abuse constantly. It infuriated me.
  • Nonicknameunlessyouknowme 2010/10/17 09:40:33 (edited)
    This crap pisses me off!
    Nonicknameunlessyouknowme
    +2
    I don't imagine that anyone would approve of the abuses of the system. In the case you mention above, what I'm afraid of is that the person you mention might have actually stolen the card from someone who really needs it. They could have taken it right out of someone's mailbox just like many are having happen with their bank accounts. Of course, he might also have gotten it from a crack head who gave his/her child's only means of getting food in order to get some dope.

Today, I was talking a seventeen year old friend of my youngest son. I keep up with things related to him through Facebook and I had noticed this girl mention CPS, so I offered to help her if she needed someone who would listen and give her guidance through an abusive situation. Her father is an abusive drunk and her mother is a gambler, yet this family is on welfare. A few months ago this girl's older sister who has a child and lives on her own, had to help her parents with their house payment because the mother had gambled it away. The girl can't wait to move out next summer. She's just gotten a second job in order to save up and get away as soon as she turns eighteen and she's finished with high school. It's a shame. I should have asked her if she has any other siblings at home. I know she said ...
  • Nonickn... Nonickn... 2010/10/17 09:45:11
    Nonicknameunlessyouknowme
    +2
    I really hate when you lose half of what you wrote when editing.

I had continued to say that there should be a better way of checking the cards. If they are like credit cards or prepaid cards then the agency administering the cards should be able to access each account via the internet and if multiple small purchases are made on the same day at places such as a truck stop then it should raise some warning flags. If purchases are made all around town on the same day then that should raise some eyebrows, too.
  • ☆ c61☆ 2010/10/17 05:33:28
    This crap pisses me off!
    ☆ c61☆
    +4
    it used to be that in order to receive assistance your automobile couldnt be any newer than ten years old. Did they change that? and yes this does piss me off! The only thing you can buy with these foodstamp cards is food. But by golly you dont see the recipients
    eating mac-n-cheese and hot dogs. They go for the steaks and roasts . And most of these people are obese trailing 4+ kids and a spouse or more often a boyfriend who also doesnt work. These are the people who know how to work the system. They get grants from school to buy their kids school clothes, free medical, foodstamps , heat assistance,
    shop with a cop for christmas, and if that isnt enough they hit up all the food pantries within a 25 mile radius.
  • Vipor_GG ☆ c61☆ 2010/10/17 05:49:51
    Vipor_GG
    +3
    "it used to be that in order to receive assistance your automobile couldn't be any newer than ten years old. Did they change that?"
    I don't know if it has changed. It doesn't stop them anyway. They just put the car in the name of someone either not on the system or someone that is old enough to be on retirement.
  • ☆ c61☆ Vipor_GG 2010/10/17 12:50:23
    ☆ c61☆
    +1
    I was just wondering because most cars newer than that ...or at least some of the newer vehicles mentioned here would have to be financed. I f they can make a three, four or five hundred dollar car payment each month then they dont need foodstamps. They could trade down to a cheaper vehicle.
  • Mizz Conservative 2010/10/17 05:25:10
    This crap pisses me off!
    Mizz Conservative
    +4
    rant all you want i agree with you
  • technot... Mizz Co... 2010/10/17 20:24:57
    technotrucker
    +1
    Thank you.

Seek the truth, or remain a victim.
    peace
  • Vipor_GG 2010/10/17 04:41:41
    This crap pisses me off!
    Vipor_GG
    +4
    This crap happens all the time. It pisses me so bad I just want to scream. And you are right about them taking truckers as suckers. These people piss me off more than the women beating on the door wanting to exchange sexual favors for money. Although I wanted nothing to do with them and they were interrupting my sleep, at least the were not hosing the tax payer. These are things that I do not miss about being a trucker.
  • AmethystRose 2010/10/17 04:39:53 (edited)
    This crap pisses me off!
    AmethystRose
    +2
    I thought getting the cards was supposed to stop this crap from happening, but it will always be a flawed system. Years ago, before they came out with the cards, a woman told me she was at store, putting her groceries in her car. She noticed a man had bought a case of soda, she saw him pay with it in food stamps, and dumped all the soda out onto the ground. He went back into the store with the bottles to get the deposit money, and walked out of the store with a pack of cigarettes. This was when cigs were much cheaper. But, I bet if you call to complain, you will just get told that they can't be told what do with their money.
  • amazinggrace 2010/10/17 03:54:47
    This crap pisses me off!
    amazinggrace
    +3
    I have had this happen to me a few times. Not only does this piss me off, but there are a lot of other abuses that do also.
  • mowerman-back to bust libs 2010/10/17 03:01:11
    This crap pisses me off!
    mowerman-back to bust libs
    +4
    I have seen this more than once. At least some states are starting to issue debt style cards instead of the stamps trying to cut down on this.
  • technot... mowerma... 2010/10/17 03:30:26
    technotrucker
    +4
    This was a food stamp card situation. All they have to do is swipe, pay, and get cash from a willing individual.

Seek the truth, or remain a victim.
    peace
  • mowerma... technot... 2010/10/17 03:35:10
    mowerman-back to bust libs
    +3
    well the clerk is suppose to ask for ID just like for any other credit card. guess we all know how often that happens also
  • Vipor_GG mowerma... 2010/10/17 04:46:50
    Vipor_GG
    +3
    Nothing the clerk can do. The food stamp person pushes the cart up to the check out and pays for the groceries. Then food stamp person pushes cart out and exchanges groceries for cash.
  • mowerma... Vipor_GG 2010/10/17 13:48:50
    mowerman-back to bust libs
    +3
    WRONG the clerk is suppose to ask for ID just the same as any other credit card. I know this for a FACT at least here in TX. However just like they don't always ask for ID on a credit transaction they don't always ask for ID on a fod stamp transaction.
  • Vipor_GG mowerma... 2010/10/17 15:30:26 (edited)
    Vipor_GG
    +2
    It doesn't matter the one purchasing the the food is the person on the card. Even when the clerk does check ID it matches. They just go in the parking lot and make the exchange. One thing that would slow it down a lot is to bust some of the people doing it. I mean both the person selling the food stamps and the person buying them. Charge them with fraud and make it very public. I know the police can catch some of them because I see it often. The police are to busy making sure the owners of bars (private property) aren't allowing people to smoke indoors to actually stop real crime.
    BTW I don't know if it is this way everywhere but in some places when you sign a credit card you are authorizing it's use. I will not go into details, but I found this out the hard way. The best thing to put on the back of the card is "SEE ID" in big bold letters. I was surprised that some clerks actually ask for ID since I began doing this.
  • mowerma... Vipor_GG 2010/10/17 19:15:34
    mowerman-back to bust libs
    +2
    You make some very good points and I don't sign my cards on the back either.
  • Dixienc technot... 2010/10/17 12:23:22
    Dixienc
    +4
    It's my understanding that they have a pin number just as a bank debit card. If you're seeing someone using a card you don't think belongs to them they probably got it from the person it was issued to and given the pin number that went with it.
  • mowerma... Dixienc 2010/10/17 13:49:46
    mowerman-back to bust libs
    +3
    It is like a debit card and the clerk is suppose to check ID to match to the card.
  • Dixienc mowerma... 2010/10/17 13:51:21
    Dixienc
    +4
    When I use my bank card as a debit I HAVE to put in a pin number. The only time I don't is if I use it as a Credit Card. The Food Stamp cards are DEBIT cards that can not be used as a credit card and require the use of a pin number to use them.
  • mowerma... Dixienc 2010/10/17 14:01:43
    mowerman-back to bust libs
    +3
    Thats right and the clerk is suppose to ask for ID to match the card to the person using it.
  • Dixienc mowerma... 2010/10/17 18:46:01
    Dixienc
    +3
    I've never been asked for ID to use a credit or debit card. If you are running it as a debit and you have the pin that is your ID. As far as a credit card goes, if you sign the back of it you've basically given anyone the right to use it. All my credit cards have ID Required on the back on the signature line. If they don't ask for ID when I use it I call the manager and complain.

2014/04/23 13:45:30