FEVER DREAMS: Are Adventure Journalists Sane?

Fef 2012/08/17 23:00:00
Jeff Antebi, a friend of mine from childhood, lives the good life. He has a wife, kids, health and wealth. He runs a successful music company called Waxploitation and represents amazing talent. He has invitations to Hollywood parties and box seats at Lakers games. So one may wonder why Antebi does adventure journalism in the most dangerous parts of the world during his spare time.

Antebi has traveled to cover the elections in Afghanistan, narco-wars in Juarez, Mexico, illegal squatter communities in Brazil, bloody ethnic/religious insurgency at the Thai/Malay border, crisis in Haiti and more.

"When I arrived in Juarez," says Antebi, "within an hour, over the police scanners, a body has been found. And maybe 30 minutes later, another body. And then another body. And by the end of the day, it was 10. The next day, 10. The next day, 10."

Check out his amazing photo-journalism and diaries in his newest book, "Fever Dreams." Yes, a shameless plug for my friend! But I also see the value in his dedication to exposing the horrors of human condition in hopes of improving the lives of those who need it the most.

Why would Antebi put himself in harms way to document the deadliest corners of the world? He has a passion for adventure and covering the truth about the human condition. Or maybe he needs a shrink. What do you think?

Read More: http://goodsie.com/store/feverdreams/

• Rave 2012/08/18 16:43:36
    Sane
    Rave
    +5
    Actually I always wanted to be one when I was younger. Regular life is too slow go for me sometimes.

• Quazimoto jlott069 2012/08/18 19:36:08
    Quazimoto
    +2
    Why don't you take a bus trip through Mexico jlott?

The elderly are killed. Young women are raped. And able-bodied men are given hammers, machetes and sticks and forced to fight to the death.

In one of the most chilling revelations yet about the violence in Mexico, a drug cartel-connected trafficker claims fellow gangsters have kidnapped highway bus passengers and forced them into gladiatorlike fights to groom fresh assassins.

In an in-person interview arranged by intermediaries on the condition that neither his name nor the location of his Texas visit be published, the trafficker also admitted to helping push cocaine worth $5 million to $10 million a month into the United States.

Law enforcement sources confirm he is a cartel operative but not a fugitive from pending charges.
  • Lucy Quazimoto 2012/08/20 01:44:18
    Lucy
    So where's the Mexican government; taking drugs or spending time with women?
  • Quazimoto Lucy 2012/08/21 18:42:38
    Quazimoto
    +1
    Getting large sums of cash under the table. That way they can afford both drugs and women.
  • Krystyn Rogers 2012/08/18 14:50:03
    Sane
    Krystyn Rogers
    +3
    They're adventurous, that's all.
  • walter.underwood2 2012/08/18 12:13:26
    Insane
    walter.underwood2
    +2
    Good luck trying to live.
  • Dar 2012/08/18 10:54:37
    Sane
    Dar
    +3
    I'm thinking more like an adrenaline junkie.
  • heroine 2012/08/18 10:16:46
    Sane
    heroine
    +4
    God. Bless all of 'em. For their talent. most of 'em lives dangerously. But with ou 'em the World would not go around.
  • jlott069 heroine 2012/08/18 17:03:31
    jlott069
    God does not exist to bless them. And yes, the world would go round without them. You not being aware of a situatuion does not mean that the situation does not exist.
  • AdrianMcTiernan 2012/08/18 10:12:53
    Sane
    AdrianMcTiernan
    +2
    He may do it for humanitarian reasons, or it may be his adrenalin fix - either way, it sounds like he is doing a good thing, though his wife and children are not going to see it that way. Some less-dangerous way should be possible, however
  • memebev1 2012/08/18 09:14:35
    Sane
    memebev1
    +4
    He apparently is very passionate about what he does. He will cover a story regardless of the danger and really doesn't feel a real threat to himself.
  • Marianne 2012/08/18 07:22:48
    Sane
    Marianne
    +3
    They are mostly very engaged journalists.
    Sometimes, however, they take too many risks.
  • DCCat 2012/08/18 04:04:34
    Sane
    DCCat
    +4
    what a great life journey
  • meme14 2012/08/18 04:02:21
    Sane
    meme14
    +3
    I would love to be able to do something like that - I think some people just like to expose the truth...a lot of people aren't aware of what is going on internationally..and without journalists like your friend we probably would never know..it's meaningful - good for him!
  • Lucy meme14 2012/08/20 01:45:30
    Lucy
    +1
    I agree. If only I were young again, I might take that road.
  • thefatguy 2012/08/18 03:15:04
    Sane
    thefatguy
    +2
    It's a mix of sanity and a denial of reality, which requires a certain amount of disassociation at best and insanity at worst. I've traveled to some dangerous places and lived to tell about it but looking back, I marvel at how lucky I was. That's the power of youthful naivete.
  • .:Princess.of.Pain:. 2012/08/18 03:14:12
    Sane
    .:Princess.of.Pain:.
    +3
    Because of them we are wiser, they show us the things we do not see.
  • harryhoudinni 2012/08/18 02:52:28
    Sane
    harryhoudinni
    +2
    All done for ego - nothing else.
  • Jack 2012/08/18 02:51:26
    Sane
    Jack
    +2
    They bring awareness on things we never get to see or usually covered up by the government.
  • Raquel 2012/08/18 01:56:45
    Insane
    Raquel
    +3
    But in a good way, slide into heaven n say what a ride that thing called life was.
  • goatman112003 2012/08/18 01:34:18
    Sane
    goatman112003
    +3
    Its called an adrenaline high where the stress of the situation makes you feel more alive.
  • Shenli 2012/08/18 01:17:10
    Sane
    Shenli
    +2
    Different strokes for different folks! :). Bottom line: Perhaps it's a "personal calling" to
    serve humanity as, "Humanity be served is our Father's supreme labor!" It definitely would
    be my motivation should I explore the world; to learn of other cultures & people and relish in the fact that we are all of one race: the human race; with no color, race, or creed!
  • RENEGADE 34 2012/08/18 00:55:19
    Sane
    RENEGADE 34
    +1
    You did not give enough info, the info you did give, well seems you want to live the sheltered live let the world pass by and as long as bad things happen else where you dont care. I joined the Army, just like a lot of others joined other Armed forces, yes we where told we could end up in harms way. He seems to have the same call but in a diffrent way. Now if he is just a glory hound yes, get the straight jacket and shrink. Seems to me he has all these nice things becouse he knows what really goes on in the world, better understanding for what he has when he gets back home. Tell him to pick a 1/2 way safe place next time and you go with. You then will understand. If he is just a junkie, stay the HE double hocky sticks home. Those guys and girls are nuts.
  • boss hawg 2012/08/18 00:24:58
    Sane
    boss hawg
    +2
    i'd do it
  • Kenny T. 2012/08/18 00:06:59
    Sane
    Kenny T.
    +1
    It is sane IF you take whatever precautions that can keep you reasonably safe - as in hiring a street-smart crew of security personnel to watch your back as you enter the most dangerous spots. Clearly this takes money which Antebi has - so I give it a "sane"... for Antebi ----- On the other hand, if I were to go to Afghanistan during their election time I would be much more vulnerable since I don't have Antebi's deep pockets and cannot afford a security detail. For ME it would be INSANE.
  • libertybelle 2012/08/17 23:50:55
    Sane
    libertybelle
    +2
    It depends on the journalist.
  • exhon2009 2012/08/17 23:49:07
    Sane
    exhon2009
    +1
    Sane but lacking a strong sense of self preservation.
  • Elizabeth Amelia Barrington 2012/08/17 23:45:42
    Sane
    Elizabeth Amelia Barrington
    +3
    They live life to the fullest.
  • BOUNTYQUEEN 2012/08/17 23:42:33
    Sane
    BOUNTYQUEEN
    +2
    exciting and adventurous.
  • InoYamanaka 2012/08/17 23:37:56
    Sane
    InoYamanaka
    +4
    He has his heart someplace, and he wants one thing: answers. I don't think people go to extreme lengths he does to get them, but they do try don't they?
  • mothermayhem 2012/08/17 23:30:45
    Sane
    mothermayhem
    +4
    Not insane to standup.
  • Wanda Hardwick 2012/08/17 23:29:05
    Insane
    Wanda Hardwick
    +4
    Not really sane, looking for a rush, but doing a very important job. Not one a "sane" person might take on.
  • Smuwf, ... Wanda H... 2012/08/18 08:15:15
    Smuwf, Twin
    +1
    If yoh get a rush from hearing that people are dying you most definitly lack any sanity to be honest
  • Hawkeye Smuwf, ... 2012/08/18 11:33:23
    Hawkeye
    That's not the point.. YOU don't get the rush because other people are dying.. You get the rush because YOU are on the edge.. YOU are in danger.. YOU are taking the risk..

People don't drive race cars because other race car drivers die in crashes.. They don't jump out of airplanes and skydive because other people's chutes didn't open..

There's a REAL sense of Life,, of LIVING,, that comes with the imminent threat of death.. Awareness is heightened.. You SEE clearer and hear more profoundly.. ALL of your senses are SHARP.. You're ON the edge and when it's ALL over.. When you've returned to the safety and security that MOST people call NORMAL living,, THAT'S when the shakes begin.. THAT'S when the HIGH OCTANE excess energy begins to burn off..

ALL in all.. It's better then DRUGS..
  • Smuwf, ... Hawkeye 2012/08/18 11:57:07
    Smuwf, Twin
    Sry I was a bit drunk there :/ my apologys
  • Hawkeye Smuwf, ... 2012/08/18 12:04:03
    Hawkeye
    Not at all.. I see your point.. Just saying that it isn't as simple as all that..

You know.. People cal these fellows Brave and Courageous for doing this..

And They certainly ARE but the REAL courage happens NOT so much in the midst of battle but later,, when the smoke clears away and the damage is right there to see.. To actually go back a second time after seeing the torn and broken bodies,, MANY of them Children,, to DO a job that needs to be done is to me,, the GREATEST example of Courage...

And for MOST of them.. NOBODY outside of the family,, who wait in FEAR,, will EVER know their names..
  • Smuwf, ... Hawkeye 2012/08/20 15:19:20
    Smuwf, Twin
    I noticed that you type with serious charisma behind every word,Have you ever considered political work?
  • Hawkeye Smuwf, ... 2012/08/20 15:58:12
    Hawkeye
    ROFLMAO..

I have had others make that suggestion but quite Frankly.. I consider the lifestyle of a successful Politician akin to that of a Very notorious criminal on a par with say,, the James gang or AL Capone..

ALWAYS looking over your shoulder.. ALWAYS under some threat or other..

I don't know how they do it.. I couldn't LIVE that way and escpecially THESE days when they'll go after family as quickly as they'd go after the politician him or herself..

And it's JUST as true for the GOOD ones,, if there IS any such thing,, as the ones who DESERVE such treatment..
  • Todd The Libertarian 2012/08/17 23:26:40
    Insane
    Todd The Libertarian
    +2
    How about those storm reporters?
  • Fef Todd Th... 2012/08/17 23:49:43
    Fef
    +2
    Storm chasers and the reporters certainly need to check for a loose screw.
    storm chaser
  • Todd Th... Fef 2012/08/18 15:44:52
    Todd The Libertarian
    I like to watch the fools who stand out in the high winds n rain telling people to leave.lol

2014/04/23 17:13:31