Faux Fur Coats for Winter: Yay or Nay?

Fergie 2012/12/27 23:45:55

SLIDESHOW: Faux Fur Coats

MINKPINK Cruella Faux Fur Coat
1 of 8

MINKPINK Cruella Faux Fur Coat

Available at Urban Outfitters for $190
  1. MINKPINK Cruella Faux Fur Coat

MINKPINK Cruella Faux Fur Coat

Available at Urban Outfitters for $190

2. Leopard Swing Coat

Leopard Swing Coat

Available at Free People for $149.95 (originally $248)

3. Sparkle & Fade Cropped Faux Fur Jacket

Sparkle & Fade Cropped Faux Fur Jacket

On sale at Urban Outfitters for $59. (Originally $149)

4. Open Faux Fur Jacket

Open Faux Fur Jacket

Available at Forever 21 for $72.80

5. Ted Baker Chevron Faux Fur Coat

Ted Baker Chevron Faux Fur Coat

Available on Asos.com for $261.21 (originally $402.81)

6. Aqua Jacket - Faux Fur Bomber

Aqua Jacket - Faux Fur Bomber

Available at Bloomingdales for $118.40 (originally $148)

7. Marcie Oversized Faux Fur Coat

Marcie Oversized Faux Fur Coat

Available at Bebe for $124.99 (originally $179.00)

8. Me Jane Juniors Jacket, Leopard-Print Faux Fur Bomber

Me Jane Juniors Jacket, Leopard-Print Faux Fur Bomber

Available at Macy's for $29.99 (Originally $99.50)

Faux Fur Coats for Winter: Yay or Nay?
This season, we've seen faux fur coats pop up in an array of styles, prices and colors everywhere from Sears to Bloomingdales, which makes us here at SodaHead wonder: Do you actually like the look of faux fur coats?

If you're into it, check out our slideshow for some inspiration on how to wear faux fur -- maybe for that New Year's party you're going to in a couple of days? It's definitely a tricky look to pull off, but if you do it well, I think it can look pretty stellar.

• lazyazngirl 2013/01/07 17:20:58
    Nay
    lazyazngirl
    +1
    i would never wear fur faux or not
  • TheBeautyKiller 2013/01/04 20:45:44
    Yay
    TheBeautyKiller
    +1
    What's so good about skinning/killing animals for their fur?
  • virginiakarsli 2013/01/04 20:30:11
    Yay
    virginiakarsli
    +1
    You shouldn't have to murder an innocent animal just for vanity.
  • akPhilly 2013/01/03 02:06:56
    Yay
    akPhilly
    If you want a piece with that fur look, then sure-who doesn't like a more humane and ethical alternative to achieve the look. But I'm not a fan of faux fur that's awful looking. There are some good looking, convincing faux furs out there, so I don't get when I see faux fur that literally looks like it has mange, or that's dyed a weird color, or stuff like that. I mean, lets be honest-a piece done in the real thing looks wise will look better. People can say, 'but it's so cruel,so it looks horrible!', yeah yeah yeah, we get it-I'm saying, for one second, try to put that part aside, and just look at the piece for it's aesthetics. Of course the real deal will have beauty the faux never could. But they've come damn close in past years, so I'm saying with all the better looking faux furs, why wear the hideous looking ones.
  • Sue MacDonald Kyak 2013/01/02 22:50:11
    Yay
    Sue MacDonald Kyak
    Why wouldn't you be?
  • Cocktails 2013/01/02 03:13:56
    Yay
    Cocktails
    +1
    The only way to go!! Why should an animal be anally electrocted so some fat chick can wear its skin?? I have a better idea, lets change places and let the fur bearers wear the fat chicks hides!It might be a but too greasy from all the fast food though!
  • S123 Cocktails 2013/01/03 17:40:56
    S123
    +1
    Sometimes real fur can be sold as faux; the humane society has a guide on how to tell the difference. http://www.humanesociety.org/...
  • Cocktails S123 2013/01/03 23:32:09 (edited)
    Cocktails
    Oh you don't have to tell me! I am well aware of the Chinese marking stuff as faux. Also plenty of dog and cat fur comes into this country mislabeled. If you would'nt wear your dog or cat, why would you wear any other creatures fur???
    Here's a quote:
    When investigators went into another animal market in southern China, they were horrified to find dogs and cats being bludgeoned, hanged, bled to death, and strangled with wire nooses so that their fur could be turned into trim and trinkets.

They found cats and dogs languishing in tiny cages, visibly exhausted. Some had been on the road for days, transported in flimsy wire-mesh cages with no food or water.

Twenty cats were forced into a single cage. Because of the cross-country transport in such deplorable conditions, the investigators were able to see dogs and cats with open wounds, dying cats and dogs inside the cages, and dead cats on top of the cages. Some animals were lethargic or frightened, and others were fighting with each other, driven insane from confinement and exposure.

Up to 800 animals are loaded onto each truck, with cages stacked on top of each other. Cages containing live animals are commonly tossed from the tops of the trucks onto the ground 10 feet below, shattering the legs of the animals inside them. Many of t...

Here's a quote:

Up to 800 animals are loaded onto each truck, with cages stacked on top of each other. Cages containing live animals are commonly tossed from the tops of the trucks onto the ground 10 feet below, shattering the legs of the animals inside them. Many of the animals still had collars on, a sign that they were once someone's beloved companion, stolen to be made into a fur coat.

This fur from China is often deliberately mislabeled as fur from other species and is exported to countries throughout the world to be sold to unsuspecting customers in retail stores. Since China supplies more than half of the finished fur garments imported for sale in the United States and since dog and cat fur is often mislabeled, if you're buying fur, there's no way to tell whose skin you're wearing, including that of a dog or cat.
  • S123 Cocktails 2013/01/05 03:20:53
    S123
    It's very sad what they to those animals, I'm glad the Humaine Society is working on geting fur correctly labeled in North Amarica.
  • ll 2013/01/01 21:24:55
    Yay
    ll
    if you know how to wear it, what to wear it with and to what extent, then YAY!
  • Marcus Clark 2013/01/01 11:25:16
    Nay
    Marcus Clark
    Rather have the real thing.
  • Anna Marcus ... 2013/01/26 23:48:14
    Anna
    That's horrible.
  • Marcus ... Anna 2013/01/26 23:52:36
    Marcus Clark
    What is so horrible about it?
  • Anna Marcus ... 2013/01/27 01:01:56
    Anna
    Regular fur is no good. Keep it on the animals.
  • Marcus ... Anna 2013/01/27 05:15:50
    Marcus Clark
    The animal doesn't need it any more after it is dead. I don't condone killing the animal just for its fur, however if the meat is being used, the skin/fur might as well be used also.
  • Anna Marcus ... 2013/01/27 16:13:51
    Anna
    Well, you can go to an Alpaca or Llama farm in the Summer from a friend and have one made just for you, or you can even learn to crochet a sweater from it, but don't get a fur coat from a store. That's all we're saying.
  • Ashley 2012/12/31 22:52:29
    Nay
    Ashley
    I like it real.
  • Anna Ashley 2013/01/26 23:48:42
    Anna
    Yuck.
  • Alexis Lynn 2012/12/31 21:01:30
    Nay
    Alexis Lynn
    I like it in small doses, but I feel that having something completely faux fur ist ugly
  • wandadear 2012/12/31 17:55:02
    Yay
    wandadear
    but i cant afford the real thing
  • baxter 2012/12/31 11:21:36
    Nay
    baxter
  • Alexander 2012/12/31 07:47:46
  • S123 Alexander 2013/01/03 17:43:05
    S123
    Real fur can be sold as faux, the humane society has a guide on telling the diffrence. http://www.humanesociety.org/...
  • Alexander S123 2013/01/06 12:00:27
  • Anna Alexander 2013/01/26 23:49:20
    Anna
    True. So so TRUE.
  • Super ludum 2012/12/31 07:24:55 (edited)
  • Little Miss Monster 2012/12/31 00:16:08
    Yay
    Little Miss Monster
    +2
    I would take fake fur any day over real fur unless I knew that absolutely every part of the animal had been used and it had not been killed purely for its fur.
  • Serenity Guru of lurve *wink* 2012/12/30 21:29:36
    Nay
    Serenity  Guru of lurve *wink*
    +1
    Horrible especially if you get caught out in the rain, looks like you have wet dog on your back notgood for British weather. Saying that my daughter still wants one and seeing as I do not like to stifle her individuality I will get her one. She already has lovely winter coat for rainy wet dog days.
  • Omni 2012/12/30 19:36:50
    Nay
    Omni
    +1
    There are plenty of jackets that are neither fur nor replicate fur that do just as good a job.
  • lillian.mossinlanggaard 2012/12/30 15:43:27
    Yay
    lillian.mossinlanggaard
    +2
    I would not wear real fur. And If I would I'd just let my cats sleep on my coat - voila furcoat all for free :D
  • S123 lillian... 2013/01/03 17:46:46
    S123
    Real fur is sometimes sold as faux. The humane society has a guide on telling the diffrence. http://www.humanesociety.org/...
  • Dark Dragon Goddess 2012/12/30 11:54:52 (edited)
    Nay
    Dark Dragon Goddess
    +2

Don't like either. It promotes buying fur coats in general. Fake or not, some people end up wanting the real ones because the fakes wear out over time. But seeing things like this pisses me off even more when I see people wearing them >.> How do you feel seeing this video? Not everything is Minx and what not :/ Some things may seem fake but they lie more then you know!
  • Super l... Dark Dr... 2012/12/31 07:27:25
  • Dark Dr... Super l... 2013/01/01 06:46:36
    Dark Dragon Goddess
    I take it you didn't read my comment all the way or didn't understand it. Notice I said "fake or not" Implying that I don't care what it is, I don't like it in general.
  • Super l... Dark Dr... 2013/01/02 08:56:00
  • Dark Dr... Super l... 2013/01/03 03:15:49
    Dark Dragon Goddess
    If I was still living when it actually comes then it wouldn't change my opinion because humans leave behind tons of things. Theoretically speaking, if I was a survivor, then I'd have to eat. But there would be plenty left to survive on. If everything is destroyed in the process then that means animals as well. Very few would be left to really find if I needed to eat.
  • Super l... Dark Dr... 2013/01/06 07:27:06
  • Dark Dr... Super l... 2013/01/06 08:42:25
    Dark Dragon Goddess
    I hope I don't come off as a vegan to you lol. I am a huge fan of beef. Meats I LOVE!!! I just dislike fur coats. Never was a fan.
  • Super l... Dark Dr... 2013/01/06 08:52:26
  • MentalCabbage 2012/12/30 10:28:36
    Nay
    MentalCabbage
    +2
    No fur coats,faux or not..They are disgusting.

2014/08/22 23:38:34