Fact or Fiction: It's not healthy to refill plastic bottled water bottles.

Tabby 2007/08/17 18:33:54
I once heard on the radio that its bad to refill your bottled water bottles because of some sort of chemical reaction within the plastic on the bottle.

Logically that doesn't make much sense to me... how would the bottle's plastic be able to tell whether it was being refilled? Why wouldn't the plastic effect happen with the original water?

What do you think? Is this fact or fiction... to entice us to purchase new bottles rather than recycle?

• PAT THOMS 2009/09/29 06:05:36
    It's fiction.
    PAT THOMS
    +3
    I CAN SEE NOTHING WRONG WITH FILLING A PLASTIC WATER BOTTLE WITH WATER THAT HAS BEEN FILTERED AND DEEMED SAFE TO DRINK. IS THERE SOMETHING IN THE PLASTIC THAT WOULD MAKE IT UNSAFE? SEEMS IT WOULD BE UNSAFE TO FILL IT AT THE FACTORY IS THE PLASTIC IS UNSAFE.THANKS FOR ANY INFO ON THIS SUBJECT. PAT THOMS

• Jaqui Long 2010/03/23 19:14:41
    It's fiction.
    Jaqui Long
    +1
    it's not about refilling it - it's just about how long you use the unwashed bottle.

Whether you refill it or still have the original water in it, you should only use the bottle for 3 or 4 days max. After this point, bacteria from your saliva and from breathing into the bottle as you drink has been sitting for too long and growths reach an unhealthy level.

I use one bottle, constantly refilling it for about 3 days then I get a new one. I feel bad about it but I refill it around 15 times, so it's better than using 14 additional bottles.
  • PAT THOMS 2009/09/29 06:05:36
    It's fiction.
    PAT THOMS
    +3
  • yoga 2009/06/24 00:59:10
    yoga
    +2
    It is not the chemical or the plastic that would make it unsafe... it's the bacteria which can grow in an unwashed bottle. Got the info from this site: http://ezinearticles.com/?Dri...
  • job wilson 2009/02/03 01:17:45
    It's fiction.
    job wilson
    all these is to do with business who cares about your health, coke is as bad as a sigcarette, do they mention the chemical reactions taking place, no they don't, so why water in reused bottles, so that you depose and buy another, how rediculous!
  • Carl 2008/07/25 01:17:02
    Carl
    everything dissolve a little bit in water, not only plastic, but metals, gases, and other stuff too. So even if there is a bit of dissolvant, i dont think it a threat to health... unless bottled water is your only source for H2O, which may change somethings.
  • cappsy has a barcode ~_~ 2008/06/09 23:46:46
    It is fact, refilling your bottles is bad
    cappsy has a barcode ~_~
    The chemicals that are in the bottle seep into the water causing harm
  • lgolding 2008/05/18 00:29:07 (edited)
    It's fiction.
    lgolding
    plastics.org...they have the RIGHT info.. its food grade plastic man...think about it...don't believe what idiots spread as truths...do some research and find out.. and it was tested over and over again, its safe to re-use
  • angie ~ MCCAIN / PALIN 08 2008/03/24 05:34:04
  • Cyara 2008/02/25 23:28:14
    Cyara
    well, I re-use my water bottles, rinsing them with a few drops of clorox in the wash, then fill them with my pristine mountain spring well water, for travel or whatever. I know it's safe - it's tested yearly. I will continue to do this until it has been proven that it can affect my health. So far, so good.
  • LoKi ~So cool I'm Hot ~ lol 2008/02/19 04:37:51
    It's fiction.
    LoKi ~So cool I'm Hot ~ lol
    as long as you wash out old bottles after a few times using it its completely healthy and you save on using plastic bottles. Think about all the extra waste people make by drinking a couple bottles of bottled water a day when they could just continue to reuse the same water bottle.
  • josodf 2008/02/16 15:05:46 (edited)
    josodf
    Numerous studies have concurred that disposable bottles can be dangerous to your health if reused time after time. Has something to do with chemicals leaking over time. The longer you use the bottle designed to be disposed of the more chances you take of being exposed. One of the big news stations did a "consumer health report". It was very interesting & kinda scary too.
  • ldub 2008/02/02 06:31:02
    It's fiction.
    ldub
    thats sounds pretty stupid.
  • Pop 2008/01/30 01:48:49
    Pop
    It is bad for you. But what isn't bad for you these days. I still do it. I'm doing it right now, while wearing nothing but plastic bags.
  • larkztongue 2008/01/29 07:42:24 (edited)
    It's fiction.
    larkztongue
    They just want to get you to buy more bottled water. Our media does "Fake News" nowadays. A large advertiser like Coke or Pepsi (Dasani and Aquafina) create may create an add that looks like a scientific study and they give it to a media giant like Clear Channel or NewsCorp (Fox). They put it on their news channels and both are happy. Free or cheap advertising for Coke or Pepsi and Faux News has a "Story" that did not cost them anything that fills up air time and makes them look like they are doing a public service.
    Have you noticed that some "human interest" stories will make the rounds on each and every channel now? Takes about a week to go full circle. Crap science stories do not cost anything-No investigative reporters on the payroll- just junky advertising "news".
  • mom2hnh~CSI Beaver~GUNNS 2008/01/26 04:18:48
    mom2hnh~CSI Beaver~GUNNS
    The chemicals in the plastic continuously outgas so bottled water isn't good for you whether it's the first time you drink it or you're refilling it. Refiling water bottles can cause the germs and viruses from your mouth to grow, including the ones that cause cold and flu.
  • DrTim 2008/01/20 19:36:28
    DrTim
    I think it depends on who you talk to.
    The botteling companies will tell you it's bad.
    But I've been doing it for years!
  • Chula21 2007/12/30 23:37:17 (edited)
    Chula21
    Ive never heard of that .....Now i have to do sum research !!! But if i had to choose i would have to say.....Its not true...For now !!!
  • Maria 2007/12/11 15:30:52
    It's fiction.
    Maria
    Ive never heard that one before. I still reuse my bottles though otherwise i would have to buy a bottle of water each day and that could work out quite expensive lol
  • Lozzarah 2007/10/20 06:17:30
    Lozzarah
    It's not so much a chemical reaction as a very slow break down of the bottle.

Have you ever noticed that bottled water has a use-by date? I did and decided to investigate because water never goes off. I found out that you should replace your water bottles every 3 months because they slowly break down. I still use plastic water bottles and won't stop.
  • ♥~Rainbow~♥ 2007/10/15 20:14:26
    ♥~Rainbow~♥
    it may be refilling them too....but i heard that letting them sit in your car and then drinking the water after it has been in the sun....can be hazerdous to a persons health....something to do with the plastic...im kinda vague on the matter...just a little insight...i dont know if it means for men and women....all i heard was for women
  • Mia 2007/10/15 20:09:19
    Mia
    I have no clue.. I do it all the time
  • tina 2007/09/10 16:33:39
    tina
    i don't know why is it not good to refill plastic bottles? feed back please, please email me
  • True~Male 2007/09/06 03:43:54 (edited)
    It's fiction.
    True~Male
    What about the 5 gallon plastic water bottles that are used on water coolers--they clean and refill them ?
  • AMarie 2007/08/24 13:02:07
    AMarie
    I don't think refilling a few times is bad - however, if not washed between refills and then stored unwashed and refilled - don't know what, if any, problems one might have with that.
  • John 2007/08/23 15:10:05
    John
    +1
    I said fact, but I'm not totally sure...It's actually (supposedly) not refilling the bottles that's bad, just using those cheap plastic bottles to store water for long periods of time, as it starts breaking down the plastic and then the plastic contaminates the water. That's a good one to write into the Mythbusters with and see if they can prove it/ disprove it.
  • CLAUDE 2007/08/19 06:32:43
    It's fiction.
    CLAUDE
    If you wash the bottle they are no problem. If you never wash the glass in the bathroom you will have some problems.
  • ShineFloyd [Ninja]™ Chi-Kung 2007/08/18 20:52:57
    ShineFloyd [Ninja]™ Chi-Kung
    never refill the used plastic bottles.

Here in my country (URUGUAY) the bottled water is very cheap and the best of the world (we have the best quality of water of the world).

The used bottles we gave them to recycle.
  • question 2007/08/18 15:03:05
    question
    +1
    It can be bad for you If you do not wash them before refilling them. But I sometimes wonder If the co: that bottles the water just say this so that you will keep buying more bottles of water.
  • JJ 2007/08/18 13:30:45
    JJ
    +1
    I don't know, I drink bottled water all the time but have never refilled a bottle before. This is the first time I've heard this.
  • Lydia 2007/08/18 06:53:42 (edited)
    Lydia
    I don't refill used bottles. I did it once and the water had a bad taste.
  • shirlstermcg 2007/08/18 03:11:04
    It's fiction.
    shirlstermcg
    I think becaus ethey are plastic they cannot be heated to a high enough degree to be sanitized but I dont believe that it is unhealthy to refill them, I do dit all the time. ( Im not a bonafide tree hugger but I do like to do my part to reuse and recycle when I can.)
  • Stephanie K 2007/08/17 22:48:12
    It's fiction.
    Stephanie K
    I think. If you rinse them out I don't see why it would be unhealthy.
  • ThatGirl 2007/08/17 21:53:47
    ThatGirl
    Also if you continuously refill the bottles and do not wash them you will be drinking mold, mildew, bacteria, ect.
  • shiela33 ThatGirl 2007/08/17 21:59:34
  • Rain 2007/08/17 20:29:35
    Rain
    I dunno the answer, but when I travel i buy a case of water for the cooler and when I drink them I always save them and refill for the trip home. I never know if I will be near a store to buy more. I don't know what the difference is. When I buy a big bottled water with the sports cap I'll use it all week over and over going to work. Never made me sick.
  • K man 2007/08/17 19:46:38
    K man
    +1
    Most of this “information” on leaching plastic came from an email hoax that was circulated.

The real issue is just normal good hygiene practices, to avoid contaminating the bottle with bacteria. I refill my bottles all the time with filtered tap water and have had no problems with it. It costs a lot less and uses a lot less plastic.
  • reminder 2007/08/17 19:45:25
    It's fiction.
    reminder
    I have been doing it for years. Freeze ice tea and water in the bottles all the time.
  • Scott 2007/08/17 19:35:26
    It's fiction.
    Scott
    I heard so many people raving about Nalgene bottles because the "plastic doesn't break down". I just keep refilling my plastic bottles.
  • Hank 2007/08/17 19:33:06
    It's fiction.
    Hank
    This is one of those urban legends or myths as far as I can determine. Check out the link if you care to do so.
    http://www.snopes.com/medical...
  • Satyr Icon 2007/08/17 19:02:11
    Satyr Icon
    True; when I was in massage school a few years back, all of us students were warned against reusing the bottles more than a couple times.

2014/07/24 17:03:42