Facebook Tops 10 Most Hated Companies in America: Why Don't People Like Facebook?

Fef 2012/07/05 23:00:00
Lack of privacy
Disappointing IPO or financials
Haters gonna hate...
When your company has 800 million users, its success kind of speaks for itself. But the social networking giant Facebook also has its fair share of haters. In fact, Facebook ranks as the most hated company on the 10 Most Hated Companies in America published by 24/7 Wall St.

Facebook made its initial public offering (IPO) of stock last month. The offering and pricing had negative backlash and critics bad-mouthed the company for weeks. Mark Zuckerberg has done amazing things to grow the company and its revenues, but critics complain that the young CEO does little to publicly inspire his company's new shareholders.

Sometimes people will just hate popular and successful trends. The internet has a meme for that: Haters Gonna Hate. Is that the case for Facebook?

247WALLST.COM reports:
Facebook currently has more than 800 million users. Any company of this size is sure to have some detractors. Compared to other leading social media sites, however, Facebook has the lowest customer satisfaction score from the American Customer Satisfaction Index.
haters gonna hate

Read More: http://247wallst.com/2012/01/13/the-10-most-hated-...

• Mog of War ScottyG... 2012/07/07 03:49:05
    Mog of War
    +3
    And people are volunteering it... Which is why I don't post anything up there that I would mind my enemies reading.
  • Eric S. Mog of War 2012/07/07 06:53:25
    Eric S.
    +1
    Looks like the new way how conmen get your info.
  • Mog of War Eric S. 2012/07/07 13:33:30
    Mog of War
    +1
    Except I'm not even sure how facebook has misrepresented itself on the matter. Facebook has told people what they are quite plainly, but people have failed to consider all of the implications of it.
  • ScottyG... Mog of War 2012/07/07 14:30:58
    ScottyG - Faqueue
    +1
    And for the potential employers for the job you might have gotten had you NOT posted to fbook!
  • Mog of War ScottyG... 2012/07/07 14:36:16
    Mog of War
    +1
    Falls under the heading of enemies now doesn't it.
  • ScottyG... Mog of War 2012/07/07 14:43:44 (edited)
    ScottyG - Faqueue
    +2
    Sure does! Think about this guy. Stole the idea for Fbook, hacked into private databases to scrape his initial data. He's a thief and a criminal hacker.
  • Beat Ma... ScottyG... 2012/07/07 07:45:32
    Beat Magnum True Hero
    +3
    Actually, he makes a fortune off of all of those banner ads on the side of your screen. SH and every other website that doesn't charge you does the same thing.
  • Mog of War Beat Ma... 2012/07/07 13:35:43
    Mog of War
    But he does get paid a higher rate for those ads than most sites do because his algorithm tries to make close matches between the person's demographic data and the demographic targets of the ad.
  • ScottyG... Beat Ma... 2012/07/07 14:32:44
    ScottyG - Faqueue
    +1
    That's the smallest part of the revenue. The bulk is from selling data. I have been in IM for years, the money is in the data, not the ad clicks.
  • Chi~Cat ScottyG... 2012/07/07 18:46:40
    Chi~Cat
    +1
    Bingo.
  • ScottyG... Chi~Cat 2012/07/07 19:10:58
    ScottyG - Faqueue
    +1
    Love ya' Cat!
  • Chi~Cat ScottyG... 2012/07/07 19:15:38
    Chi~Cat
    +1
    Love ya, too.
  • ScottyG... Chi~Cat 2012/07/07 19:39:05
  • Karl 2012/07/07 00:35:27
    Lack of privacy
    Karl
    +3
    I shouldn't have to change my privacy settings after every single security update.
  • Marcus Clark 2012/07/06 23:51:33
    Haters gonna hate...
    Marcus Clark
    +2
    If you don't like it, don't used it. It's that simple.
  • Mjbaby 2012/07/06 23:29:36
    Haters gonna hate...
    Mjbaby
    My sister got into one too many FB fights and ended getting in trouble with the police and a week of suspension from school for threatening some bitch. Facebook sucks cause there are always people who are gonna hate and cause problems and of course you have no privacy. FB is my sister's life. I hate it. That's why I got rid of mine.
  • Evelyn 2012/07/06 23:17:11
    Haters gonna hate...
    Evelyn
    +1
    Potatoes gonna POTATE
  • Tasha 2012/07/06 21:57:13
    Haters gonna hate...
    Tasha
    +2
    I tell you why I hate Facebook, because of all those flashy advertisements. And Facebook is getting pretty boring anyway.
  • Eric S. Tasha 2012/07/07 06:56:12
    Eric S.
    Billionaire Warren was right to predict Facebook is not gonna last forever.
  • Beat Ma... Eric S. 2012/07/07 07:46:10
    Beat Magnum True Hero
    Nothing lasts "forever" but compare FB to it's predecessor Myspace. FB has lasted longer and made a lot more money.
  • Eric S. Beat Ma... 2012/07/20 05:24:18
    Eric S.
    Funnily, after one rich Asian fella bought a huge amount of FB shares and FB started tumbling, he still tells people he has trust FB will recover. Maybe he could be right.
  • Tannenberg1993 2012/07/06 21:19:24
    Lack of privacy
    Tannenberg1993
    +2
    The way Facebook automatically connects itself to other sites one uses is annoying; I had to block it from my Yahoo! because I frankly don't think people need to know everything I'm reading all the time.
  • V~POTL~PWCM~JLA 2012/07/06 20:32:10 (edited)
    Lack of privacy
    V~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    +3
    Google knows what you are looking for. They are in an ideal position to sell advertising based on search utilization. It is possible for them to monetize what they know about you without becoming excessively intrusive.

Facebook knows who your friends are and they know what you "like". Monetizing that information is not so easy. This is why I was not a fan of the IPO.

Unlike a Google search that quickly becomes yesterday's news, every little bit of information that a user saves on Facebook has an indefinite lifespan by default. As a user's relationships and employment changes, they must actively "manage" their friendships and posts. Failure to do this can lead to disastrous consequences. None of this is really Facebook's fault, but their business model tends to leak information. This is why people are concerned about FB privacy.
  • Beat Ma... V~POTL~... 2012/07/07 07:48:43
    Beat Magnum True Hero
    Which is why I have never once listed an Employer on FB or any relevant contact information... ever. The email address I use for FB is just for social networking and isn't even associated with my real name. Call me paranoid, but haters are gonna hate, and too many of the wrong people want to spy on you.

In my current seasons however, FB is a great way to stay in contact with the folks back home.
  • dandieselonian 2012/07/06 20:24:53
    Haters gonna hate...
    dandieselonian
    people love facebook
  • Vitalani 2012/07/06 20:21:17
    Haters gonna hate...
    Vitalani
    800 million people DO. I e only met a small handful of people who don't...
  • Horace Nick 2012/07/06 19:36:32
    Disappointing IPO or financials
    Horace Nick
    I didn't expect this, is this poll accurate?expect poll accurate
  • K Jones 2012/07/06 19:23:09
    Lack of privacy
    K Jones
    +1
    None of the above. Because they keep making changes that make it hard to keep up with not just besties, but all friends. I know, lots of people hate change just bc it's change, but some of their changes have really sucked. ON THE OTHER HAND: Why are people bitching so much about something that's free? You get more crap from services you pay for.
  • frequent–antagonist 2012/07/06 19:03:57
    Haters gonna hate...
    frequent–antagonist
    +1
    To think you're going to have a whole lot of privacy on the internet ESPECIALLY on Facebook in the first place is just silly.
  • AmericanVirus 2012/07/06 18:57:09 (edited)
    Haters gonna hate...
    AmericanVirus
    Because it promotes ignorance of the masses
  • compufreek 2012/07/06 18:54:18
    Haters gonna hate...
    compufreek
    +1
    The founder is a douche bag and they are constantly making changes that users hate. FB is just like the government, don't care what people want!!
  • Call me Mark willya? 2012/07/06 18:51:53
    Haters gonna hate...
    Call me Mark willya?
    As to the lack of privacy, people get on Facekook because they want to share their dirty undies with the world, and then complain about privacy... Secondly, I've said it before and I'll say it again, facekook has done for the internet, what Jerry Springer did for TV, lowered the intelligence of the whole medium.

The Jerry Springer show and all shows like it, are just proof that human dignity is for sale, Facebook is worse than that, it's proof that a LOT of people are willing to throw it away for nothing!!! It may have started out as a good Idea, a way for friends to keep track of one another and possibly a safe way to meet new friends, but it has simply become one long tired drama with people threatening to kick each other's butts from the other side of the world knowing damn well they're never going to see each other face to face....
  • Adam 2012/07/06 18:47:30
    Haters gonna hate...
    Adam
    Because people hate realizing what gossipy, social creatures they are. We like to imagine that we are stoic, stony lone wolves. But were all dependent attention whores seeking justification and cat pictures. Privacy issues are just a convienient excuse.
  • Outta' Here. 2012/07/06 18:38:04
    Lack of privacy
    Outta' Here.
    +1
    Other: because of the phrase, "Like us on Facebook"
    No, I am not going to like the company that picks up my trash on Facebook.
    No, I am not going to like the government because they asked me to "Like us on Facebook".

Most people do not like to be FORCED to do ANYTHING. And if every company, movie, tv channel, etc. is TELLING you to "Like us on Facebook"; well it no longer sounds like a request and becomes what very much sounds like an ORDER.
  • Meako 2012/07/06 18:19:57
    Haters gonna hate...
    Meako
    I love facebook, especailly since I am away so much, great way to keep in touch with family, great way to send instanT pics and videos.... LOVE IT....
  • robbt1 2012/07/06 18:19:21
    Lack of privacy
    robbt1
    +2
    I don't like having a facebook too much, but it's become something needed. It's the only way I can keep in touch with some of my old friends, unfortunately, plus.. at a recent job interview they wanted to use my facebook account as sort of a way to do a background check on me.
  • adeenmc... robbt1 2012/07/06 21:10:23
  • phil 2012/07/06 17:09:38
    Haters gonna hate...
    phil
    I don't use it so i don't know. To much info given or seen
  • Annabelle Hickman 2012/07/06 17:07:23
    Haters gonna hate...
    Annabelle Hickman
    +1
    If so many people hate Facebook as much as they do, I'm stumped as to why they still get on it all day, every day... Anyway, hating it won't do anything to damage its massive popularity, so I don't think it matters.
  • Tidderfish 2012/07/06 16:45:44
    Lack of privacy
    Tidderfish
    +1
    I like the idea of facebook and the convenience of the contact with my friends. I deleted my account because I felt the privacy issues were disturbing. It is too easy for someone I do not want to trace me to be able to do so through having access to details of who my friends are for example, regardless of what privacy settings I use.

2014/10/01 12:24:49