Facebook Bans Mother For Posting Photos Of Terminally Ill Son

★~DoctorWhoGuru~★ 2012/05/19 21:39:44
A mother has been banned from Facebookafter posting images of her newborn son,

Read More: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/19/heather-w...

• Heptarch 2012/05/19 22:07:51
    Fair
    Heptarch
    +7
    Guys, she posted photos of her DEAD newborn. One of the pictures showed the child, who was born with anencephaly, with his brain exposed.

This is about posting pictures that could be traumatic for others.

• Princess Luna 2012/06/03 03:12:25
    Foul
    Princess Luna
    +1
    people do post crap like nudity and profanity but a picture of a babby that wrong for facebook just to deleat
  • P. Sturm 2012/06/03 03:06:09
    Foul
    P. Sturm
    +1
    I'm running so far behind facebook has already done a mea culpa.
  • D.C.Verdone 2012/05/23 17:09:52
    Foul
    D.C.Verdone
    +1
    If the child was dead and everyone could see his brain (like they didn't at least put a hat onhim) Then I would agree it was fair but if it was because he was just really ill then it was foul.
  • Laura 2012/05/22 00:49:59
    Foul
    Laura
    +1
    Absolutely not....she shared images of her baby....period. Whether he was missing his brain or not is irrelevant. If people don't want to see than they shouldn't look. This mother was going through enough and did not need this extra trauma.
  • tywon.smith 2012/05/21 16:05:01
    Foul
    tywon.smith
    +1
    Thats sad when you cant put up pics of your child! Think I'll ban Facebook Too
  • Rob Williams 2012/05/20 20:49:48
    Foul
    Rob Williams
    +2
    They were trying to make some sort of memorial at a time of distress and grief and they may have done something which, with hindsight, they may have done differently.

Apparently Facebook's community standards prohibit nine types of content from the site...

Violence and Threats
    Self-Harm
    Bullying and Harassment
    Hate Speech
    Graphic Violence
    Nudity and Pornography
    Identity and Privacy
    Intellectual Property
    Phishing and Spam.

I'd love to know which of those nine FaceBook thinks they've breached.
    Fair
    +1
    of course
  • geneticmistake 2012/05/20 15:48:18
    Foul
    geneticmistake
    +1
    She shouldn't have been banned. No way. I saw the photos. While disheartening the images don't seem to violate Facebook's TOS. Gizmodo explains Facebook's community standards prohibit nine types of content from the site, including the following: Violence and Threats, Self-Harm, Bullying and Harassment, Hate Speech, Graphic Violence, Nudity and Pornography, Identity and Privacy, Intellectual Property and Phishing and Spam. The photos fall into none of these categories. Facebook created the TOS. Users have to abide by them and so does Facebook. In this case Facebook has no right to censor the images.
  • tstarr 2012/05/20 14:26:53
    Fair
    tstarr
    +3
    These images would be the last thing I'd want to see if I've just woken up, or eaten a bloody steak.
    Sure she hasn't violated the terms of posting on facebook, but I'm don't doubt that she had some people on her friends list who really didn't want to see the images. A little bit of common sense and premeditation goes a long way when posting on public sites.
  • Sister ... tstarr 2012/05/20 16:47:51
  • Dweezle 2012/05/20 13:40:25
    Foul
    Dweezle
    +1
    blah blah blah
  • baxter 2012/05/20 10:11:00
    Fair
    baxter
    +1
    IT helps people to cope with it if they have a ill child like that
  • polkastria 2012/05/20 08:30:28
    Foul
    polkastria
    +2
    Yes, the pictures were unpleasant but they were of a real child.. her child and she has every right to post them. Maybe it will encourage others to look into the condition the baby died from and it can get some additional funding for research... Some good can come out of her family's loss.

With all the scams I see on Facebook that start with "like and share this picture and ___________ will donate ________" with pictures of "abused children" that really are no such thing (usually kids that have been injured in other manners but not abused) or abused animals or graphic anti abortion images or nudity... Facebook SHOULD have better things to police than this woman and her own baby.
  • Just Another Girl (5) 2012/05/20 08:04:13
    Foul
    Just Another Girl (5)
    +2
    That's awful! Shame on FB for not allowing her to share photos of her deceased child with her friends and family
  • CREW grand 2012/05/20 07:24:24
    Fair
    CREW grand
    +2
    I'd like Facebook much more if they banned all photos of all babies.

Don
  • Dzeeng 2012/05/20 07:15:11
    Foul
    Dzeeng
    +3
    Shame on Facebook
  • rosesvengeance BN-0 2012/05/20 05:16:51
    Foul
    rosesvengeance BN-0
    +2
    It's a bit disturbing to see the photo that shows his brain, but it is by no means anything they should have banned from the website. If people don't want to look at it they don't have to. Besides people see much more disturbing things on tv shows.
  • beach bum 2012/05/20 04:08:53
    Foul
    beach bum
  • La 2012/05/20 03:51:14
    Foul
    La
    +2
    I don't see why....
  • Night 2012/05/20 02:20:01
    Foul
    Night
    +2
    Do you know how many limbless, beaten and broken pictures of people I've come across on Facebook when people are trying to raise awareness for various tragedies? I may not like seeing them but I don't think that they should have taken them down if they allow others to put graphic pictures for awareness, especially if this was only for her profile and not like a public group or something.
  • Inquisitve Kat 2012/05/20 01:47:04
    Foul
    Inquisitve Kat
    +3
    None of the terms of use were actually violated.
    I've seen much worse on FB.
  • KyoriYuki 2012/05/20 00:59:10
    Foul
    KyoriYuki
    +2
    They're certainly disturbing to look at
  • Kashee 2012/05/20 00:47:20
    Foul
    Kashee
    +2
    That is very wrong. I think that is very wrong. There is so much filth on Facebook but they remove a picture of a handicapped child, His parents obviously loved him very much and wanted to share his pictures with friends and family.
    I got off of facebook months ago, and I am really glad I did.
  • Kim(: 2012/05/20 00:14:02
    Foul
    Kim(:
    +3
    Thats a foul hands down
  • Pat 2012/05/19 23:51:19
    Foul
    +4
    I don't see what their problem is. And it doesn't seem to fall into any of the categories they ban thing for. So, I think they're wrong.
  • ♥SHORTY♥ 2012/05/19 23:48:12
  • Robbb 2012/05/19 23:38:51
    Foul
    Robbb
    +1
    If you put your life on display why not death also, they are all relevant. I keep it to myself so I dont use facebook.
  • JohnT 2012/05/19 23:33:45
    Foul
    JohnT
    +2
    I think it was a goof up. They don't monitor that well on facebook, I have seen enough offensive comments that never get deleted. I do hope the matter gets looked into.
  • fairiefang -annoying fashio... 2012/05/19 23:06:03
    Foul
    fairiefang -annoying fashion snobs everywhere-
    +4
    It was her child. Of course she wants to post pictures of him. There was nothing wrong with the photos. They are not offensive or wrong in any way.
  • meme14 fairief... 2012/05/19 23:19:14
    meme14
    +1
    have you seen the picture they are talking about? It's pretty graphic
  • fairief... meme14 2012/05/20 01:58:30
    +2
    Yes. How is it graphic?
    It's a picture of an innocent baby who just happens to have been born with a deformity. Nothing wrong with that.
  • meme14 fairief... 2012/05/20 04:00:35
    meme14
    It's too graphic - the childs brain is exposed - I could post the pic but I don't know if I wanna do that. It is shocking to see. I feel terrible for that baby but I don't see why they'd put that up there. If they wanted the family to see that then fine - but I just don't think putting a pic like that up of a dead infant is something for facebook. You'd have to see it to understand.
  • fairief... meme14 2012/05/20 04:05:46
    +2
    I saw the pic so you don't have to post it. That's part or the condition. That doesn't mean pictures of it shouldn't be shown. You don't like seeing the pic, but at least you aren't the parents whose child died b/c of it. They should have every right to post the few pics they have of their baby up on facebook. F**k what anyone else thinks. Don't like it, don't look!
    This is supposed to be a free country. A parent deserves the right to post innocent pictures of their children.
    I'd rather see pics like that than the ones of teenage girls posing almost naked (or completely naked).
  • meme14 fairief... 2012/05/20 04:21:19
    meme14
    I appreciate that we have freedom and I value that. I just think the less graphic ones were fine - I don't see the necessity of posting the shocking ones. I mean, thats kind of like saying - my loved one was shot in the heat, please pray for him, and posting a pic of him with a bloody hole in his head...I don't see the point. I might post a pic after he recovered or with a bandage on his head..but not of the hole in his head. I mean send that privately. Maybe immediate family or medical professionals need to see that but facebook..nah..just my opinion - there were sweet, adorable pics of the baby too...I don't see why the others were needed...and I don't for a second think it wasn't tragic - that's not what I am saying. I agree with all that - I just feel differently than you about the one photo.
  • fairief... meme14 2012/05/20 05:21:39
    They weren't posting it for shock value. Definitely not the same thing as posting someone who was shot.
    Although I must say I DO see people posting bloody and ridiculous injuries on facebook....BEFORE rushing to the hospital *rolls eyes*
  • meme14 fairief... 2012/05/20 18:19:12
    meme14
    I can't speculate as to why they would post a picture of a dead newborn with it's brain exposed. Like I said the ones with hats were fine - I would even think the hats were medically necessary as the brain was exposed. To post the one without the hat - and the baby is dead? That's bad judgment. I respectfully disagree.
  • fairief... meme14 2012/05/20 20:04:11
    Like I said, don't like it, don't look.
  • Vinny 2012/05/19 23:01:46
    Fair
    Vinny
    +3
    enough it is private!!
  • meme14 2012/05/19 22:58:11
    Fair
    meme14
    +4
    her son was, tragically, born without parts of his skull - if she wanted to share photos with her family and friends there is a more private and personal way to do that. I think people post alot of things on facebook for the attention. The people who mattered would have been at the funeral - or I am sure she has their email addresses or phone numbers. Why does everyone need to see that - it's sad and it's unnecessary
  • meme14 meme14 2012/05/19 23:52:51
    meme14
    +1
    You people could not have seen the photo to be voting foul - just sayin

2014/07/22 09:17:40