Expiration Dates Mean Nothing: Is It Safe To Eat 'Expired' Foods?

HonkyTonkWoman 2010/02/18 21:42:34
Eating foods marked 'expired' are OK, as long as they don't look and smell funky.
Expiration dates are stamped on food products for a reason. No grace period, period!
I'll admit that I have eaten a piece of cheese set to expire a day before. In fact, I wouldn't be suprised if more than a few people have indulged in foods that were past their expiration date. But it's ok, because a lot of those expiration dates are misleading.

Studies have found that most consumers who refrigerate their food immediately have a three-to-seven-day grace period after the food "expires." Does this mean that we should think of that "Sell By" date as a guideline rather than an order? If so, I've got an expired jug of milk with my name on it.

Do you think it is safe to eat "expired" foods?

• prithvimali 2010/03/02 14:39:28
    Eating foods marked 'expired' are OK, as long as they don't look and smell fu...
    prithvimali
    only few specific items meat fish etc are not good
  • RyanH 2010/03/01 00:22:54
    RyanH
    I eat expired food at least once a week. I work for a very large food store chain and so much is thrown out that is still good. As a general rule, I don't eat it more than a week, and as the first response says, make sure it doesn't smell or look funky. I have never gotten sick from eating expired food in the last 1.5 years of eating it at least once a week. Anything from bread/pastry, fruits and vegetables, to meat products. I will also drink expired milk, as long as it is 2% or less and less than two days after the expire date, and maintained at adequate temperature.
  • CCL123 2010/02/24 00:49:56
    CCL123
    yeah, i think it's ok, as long as they look normal.
  • patti 2010/02/20 06:40:14
    patti
    Most things are still ok by that date and some aren't...DON'T use expired meats and fish products
  • Eyebrowz² 2010/02/19 16:02:31
    Eyebrowz²
    Expiration dates are just a suggested freshness guidline LOL. I've eaten foods a week or more after the date and nothing happened. I'm pretty sure they just put the earliest date that the product could potentially start to go bad just to avoid legal issues. Water even has one...and I'm fairly sure that water doesn't expire unless mixed with other elements lol.
  • sanne 2010/02/19 07:04:12
    sanne
    Well to be honest. I work at a supermarket; and we have to make food to taste you know? To let the people experience weither they like it or not. Just for fun. But we don't take food that's good for the next few months; we take food thats expired. For a few days though. And to be honest again; they like it! (Not that we tell them it's overdate (A)) But it sells well;;
  • Denise 2010/02/18 23:35:59
    Denise
    Milk is good for about a week after the expiry date, same with cheese. Though, it's not like moldy cheese is going to kill you, or there would be no delicious blue cheese. Mmmmm... Canned goods are usually good for a while. Sauerkraut somehow has an expiration date, though that's really confusing, because it's already brined, what else can happen to it?

Produce is one thing I don't mess around with. If the lettuce doesn't have its crunch, or the tomato is squishy, I'm not putting that in my mouth.
  • Lady_V 2010/02/18 22:30:44
    Lady_V
    +1
    I always sniff foods. Even if it's expired or not, haha. But I have been known to consume foods that have past the packaged suggested date to eat.

2014/10/23 03:28:11