"Evolution says that nature is complete, and that God fashioned a material world in which truly free, truly independent beings could evolve." Agree or disagree?

KoAm 2012/06/27 14:03:59

• socokid 2012/06/30 14:49:43
    Disagree
    socokid
    The scientific theory of evolution makes absolutely no mention of a God.

Period.
  • ehrhornp 2012/06/30 00:46:12
    Disagree
    ehrhornp
    +1
    Evolution does not mention God.
  • MarinerFH 2012/06/29 04:04:03 (edited)
  • Savious 2012/06/28 11:33:39
    Agree
    Savious
    I agree that God fashioned a world for us to be free, independent, and evolve in; but I don't think that evolution is complete.

For some time now, I have had the firm belief in a creation, evolutionist theory. Creation is simply the who, and evolution is the how. After all, could you imagine God trying to explain to Moses evolution; things like the big bang, expansion of the universe, RNA, DNA; most of those things would be beyond Moses ability to understand. So, God told Moses he said, let there be light, and there was light, he separated the light from the dark, and called the light day and the dark night; sounds kind of like the big bang.

Evolution on it’s own, has way to many holes in its theory.
  • Kaimeso 2012/06/27 15:50:20
    Agree
    Kaimeso
    No, (SH took wrong vote). I DISAGREE that ihas to be one of the dumbest posts ever. Evolution is not complete, there is no actual end to change. But of course, not much else could be expected from religionist.
  • KoAm Kaimeso 2012/06/29 04:14:48
    KoAm
    Okay, genius. First of all, don't accuse others of being "dumb" when:

a) You couldn't even make the answer choice you wanted,

b) Your spelling, grammar, and language usage are riddled with errors,

and

c) you say "evolution is not complete," which is fine, except that the quote I put up does not say that evolution IS complete.

The quote says that NATURE is complete. There are elements within nature that are still evolving and changing. But the framework in which these things exist, evolve, and change is very complete. It's called Nature.

Again, don't call other people "dumb" when you're the one who's not taking the time to read the post carefully.
  • Kaimeso KoAm 2012/06/29 18:10:21
    Kaimeso
    1, Dumb post, if you take that to mean you are dumb then that is your problem.
    2. SH has a history of registering the wrong vote, no big deal I don't care just added the correction so my response would be clear.
    3. "ihas" with a typo, I'm devastated. But we now have encountered a grammer bitch,... congratulations.
    4. "evolution is not complete," That is my quote, wanted to make sure you got the message (obviously not).
  • Jeff Vader 2012/06/27 15:41:21 (edited)
    Disagree
    Jeff Vader
    +1
    Evolution says no such thing, it stipulates that all life is in flux, evolution continues even to this day. There was no miraculous intervention at a single point that brought we humans into being. We, like all living things evolved into what we are today from lower life forms.

Nature is not complete, the world has changed many, many, times in it's long history, and is constantly changing. Mass extinctions of flora and fauna have occurred many times throughout the earth's history. We know the world we live in today bears little resemblance to the earth as it was millions of years ago. And the earth of a few million years from now will be totally different than it is today.

A deity was not needed for us to get to where we are today. More than that, what we know about the process by which all living things evolve takes us further away from the idea that there was some divine purpose, or indeed any ordered plan to evolution. Many species have went in the wrong evolutionary direction and as a result died out. Even we have design faults which were the result of a compromise between form and function, Just look at all the genetic illnesses due to bad genes. and the malformities that occur due to faulty DNA and mutation of cells .
  • KoAm Jeff Vader 2012/06/29 04:09:30
    KoAm
    >>>A deity was not needed for us to get to where we are today. >>>

Millions of species of living things have inhabited this planet at one time or another -- and yet only ONE has "gotten to where we are today" during the earth's entire existence.

Does that prove God is real? No, but it certainly lends evidence to it.
  • socokid KoAm 2012/06/30 14:55:09
    socokid
    No, but it certainly lends evidence to it.
    It does absolutely no such thing.

We can most certainly evidence "how we got to where we are today". The evidence is contained within the scientific theory of evolution. To add, there still is not one shred of evidence for a God.... your utterly assumed answer to your questions.
  • KoAm Jeff Vader 2012/06/29 04:15:25
    KoAm
    >>>Evolution says no such thing>>>

The quote I posted does not pertain to what evolution says.

It pertains to what people of faith say about evolution.

Gotta read a little, people.
  • Jeff Vader KoAm 2012/06/29 04:29:32
    Jeff Vader
    You simply cannot put word into Darwin's mouth, he would be mortified at that definition of evolution. Anyone who has read the theory of evolution or study natural selection and even basic biology would laugh at that definition.
  • KoAm Jeff Vader 2012/06/29 04:18:32
    KoAm
    >>>Nature is not complete, the world has changed many, many, times in it's long history, and is constantly changing. Mass extinctions of flora and fauna have occurred many times throughout the earth's history. >>>

Nature is complete. Flora and fauna are not nature. They are elements that exist within nature. Things within nature change, but nature itself is what it is.

An analogy: The Empire State Building opened in 1931. It was considered "complete" at that time -- even though it has no doubt undergone many, many renovations since 1931.

You can't say something is "incomplete" just because individual elements within it may have changed, been introduced, or gone out of existence.

I don't think you're reading the "nature is complete" part of the quote carefully enough.
  • ☆ QueenAline 2012/06/27 15:12:12
    Not sure
    ☆ QueenAline
    I don't think when God created us, that he intended for us to "evolve". It is what it is...and if he did intend for us to evolve, then it is all part of his plan. We are loosing our freedoms every day in this country....the only thing left is FREE WILL...so make the best of it.
  • KoAm ☆ Queen... 2012/06/29 04:10:31
    KoAm
    >>>I don't think when God created us, that he intended for us to "evolve".>>

I don't agree. We undeniably have evolved (scientifically, technologically, societally, and so on), and God gave us the capacity to do this. I believe this was His intention all along.
  • Bingo's Faddah 2012/06/27 15:09:04
    Agree
    Bingo's Faddah
    Yep. God invented time and is watching with some amusement. Science merely explains how God did what God did.

How's that?

yep god invented watching amusement science explains god god hows
  • rand 2012/06/27 14:49:35
    Agree
    rand
    I don't want to get into the determinism debate, but this pantheistic view is acceptable to me.
    Not sure
    ok
  • stevegtexas@aol.com 2012/06/27 14:06:08
  • KoAm 2012/06/27 14:04:49
    Agree
    KoAm
    God and evolution are not mutually exclusive.

Neither are religion and science.

2014/09/17 17:40:38