European Fanta is amazing. It uses real juice, real cane sugar, and very little else. Why can't these soft drink companies do the same thing in America?

Archer ~ The Limit Break of PHAET 2009/06/18 23:26:31
They can't because of ______.
They should because _______.
Don't you dare change my syrup-laden fat-making drink!
I don't care one way or another....
I noticed something wonderful in Europe - no high-fructose corn syrup in the sodas! Instead, it was sugar - which has fewer calories and a better taste. Both in the colas and in the fruit-juice-based sodas, this was a common thing. The fruit juice drinks were actually GOOD tasting, compared to the crap sold here in the States. I hated orange soda since I was a child, but I loved it on my trip to Italy and Greece.

So, why can't these companies do the same thing in America as they do in Europe? It's better for you, and it tastes a LOT better!

• AskingTasha 2009/06/18 23:38:44
    They should because _______.
    AskingTasha
    +3
    did you know that the fanta brand is coke's because fanta's original location was in europe and they wanted to be able to sell it in geremany during world war 2 without american's finding out

• brotherplease 2009/06/29 21:48:39 (edited)
    They should because _______.
    brotherplease
    +2
    it's better and tastes better - I had cranberry juice in Colombia "Ocean Spray" and it was sweetened with beet sugar! It was delicious!

BTW I would imagine the corn growers in the US have a monopoly on sweeteners and offer it cheaper -
  • Archer ... brother... 2009/06/29 21:55:36
    Archer ~ The Limit Break of PHAET
    +1
    except that high fructose corn syrup is incredibly bad for you. corn isn't, but high fructose corn syrup is. It's because of how it's processed by the body, and the fact that fructose has to bond with glucose to be processed... it's a long, confusing tale that basically adds to weight gain moreso than if it was just plain sugar.
  • brother... Archer ... 2009/06/29 22:45:07
    brotherplease
    +1
    yup - I hate high fructose corn syrup.. too sweet and everything you said.
  • Laura♥TH&HP *The Great Esca... 2009/06/19 10:58:17
    They should because _______.
    Laura♥TH&HP *The Great Escape* 〶
    +1
    I like my fanta
    (i live in europe)
    Its reallly nice
    YUM!
  • Archer ... Laura♥T... 2009/06/19 11:44:14
    Archer ~ The Limit Break of PHAET
    +1
    I like your fanta, too! I adore the italian one, though. Omg... delicious....
  • Laura♥T... Archer ... 2009/06/19 13:43:53
  • J'Brean... Archer ... 2012/07/04 01:09:00
    J'Breana Harris
    +2
    you can buy italian fanta in the states online at www.labellamarketplace.com under beverages
  • Archer ... J'Brean... 2012/07/04 01:28:49
    Archer ~ The Limit Break of PHAET
    Oohh, thank you!
  • AskingTasha 2009/06/18 23:38:44
    They should because _______.
    AskingTasha
    +3
  • Archer ... AskingT... 2009/06/18 23:41:14
    Archer ~ The Limit Break of PHAET
    +2
    I did know that Fanta was owned by Coke, but I didn't know the history behind it. :-D Coolbeans.
  • crimsonbutterfly 2009/06/18 23:32:15
    crimsonbutterfly
    +2
    I don't like the taste of Fanta. More for you lol.
  • Archer ... crimson... 2009/06/18 23:40:45
    Archer ~ The Limit Break of PHAET
    +1
    ROFL, normally I don't either. But I liked the stuff in Europe. It didn't taste the same as over in the States.
  • crimson... Archer ... 2009/06/18 23:43:47
    crimsonbutterfly
    +2
    Oh really? I wonder how come.
  • Archer ... crimson... 2009/06/18 23:52:49 (edited)
    Archer ~ The Limit Break of PHAET
    +1
    Lol, like my question states - they carbonate orange juice and add a little sugar (not much). The US is basically carbonated corn syrup with artificial flavoring. It's disgusting, too sweet, and doesn't taste like orange juice. One comment I saw concerning it said that it tasted like rotten oranges pressed by someone's foot. ew. And I agree.

Edit: I found the ingredient list for Italian Fanta, which I'd fallen in love with over there: Water, 12% orange juice, sugar, carbon dioxide, citric acid, flavorings, preservative (potassium sorbate), stabilizer (gum arabic), antioxidant (ascorbic acid)
  • crimson... Archer ... 2009/06/19 00:59:09
    crimsonbutterfly
    +2
    Yeah to me soda does seem like it flattens way too fast and then tastes gross. I can't stand them warm either lol. But I'm addicted at the same time. Go figure lol.
  • Lana 2009/06/18 23:31:49
    They should because _______.
    Lana
    +1
    That is not the only one in Europe. Seems they can do it right but Americans seem to like the junk like Pepsi and Coke
  • Archer ... Lana 2009/06/19 11:51:28
    Archer ~ The Limit Break of PHAET
    +1
    Agreed. Though I think part of it is because most Americans haven't HAD the European version. Yes, it'd cost a TINY bit more to make it out of real orange juice instead of the crap they put in, but.. come on!

The only thing I can think of that's stopping Coca-cola, Pepsi, and others from switching over to the better-tasting juice-and-sugar blends is the Corn Syrup Industry.

They're even making commercials here saying "corn syrup, in moderation, is the same nutritionally as sugar..." Which is bull. There have been scientific studies that prove it isn't - that the body does NOT do the same thing when faced with corn syrup as opposed to sugar. It's more likely to turn corn syrup into fat, than burn it right away - sugar is burnt immediately (hence the 'sugar rush' people often get after ingesting a lot of it).

I'm sick of corn syrup in everything...

I'm off to buy some real aranciata.
  • Jay Archer ... 2010/01/08 02:36:20
    Jay
    +2
    Holy Cow! I can't believe I'm reading this! I have been living in Italy for 6 months now and while I must say that I do like the Fanta Orange, I have been trying to figure out why the sodas here are less sweet than in the States. Literally Sprite here tastes like Diet Sprite. If they are using sugar they need more. I've been to several countries now and have tried soda in each, and no country comes close to good tasting sodas like the United States. Whatever it is they put in it in the States is making it better. I know everyone is going to say I am a sugar junkie or something, but Sprite and Coke here are crap compared to the States and it costs more for less. I miss my American sodas.
  • Archer ... Jay 2010/01/08 02:49:34
    Archer ~ The Limit Break of PHAET
    LOL, you might just be a sugar junkie. My sister liked european coke, too, so I know it's not just me. But I'm not talking sweetness-wise. I'm talking fake fruit flavor versus the real thing.

And the US used to sweeten our sodas with sugar, too - until the corn industry became the behemoth it is now. Perhaps they do need to add more sugar - but europe is a bit more health-conscious than america... which might explain things a bit over here.

But yes, the switch from corn syrup to sugar might be what's causing the taste difference, or just the fact that they don't sweeten as much, sugar or otherwise.

Try the fanta?
  • Jay Archer ... 2010/01/15 23:43:07
    Jay
    +1
    yeah I tried the Fanta and I admit at first I was a little shocked at the taste because I wasn't ready for it. But, after I got used to it, I like it. Its pretty good. I would love to see them do a Grape version of it. That would be terrific. Yeah, I actually think they just use less sugar and that it would probably taste better than American soda if the sweetness were equalized. Nevertheless I miss the Corn Syrup especially in the aftertaste. The way they (europeans) have it sweetened the aftertaste reminds me of Diet drinks. Oh and they need to work on the price over here and give free refills at restaurants. I swear you might as well just drink wine as its often cheaper!

P.S. Yes I kind of am a sugar junkie!

2014/10/25 05:42:45