ETIQUETTE QUESTION: If a friend gives you a cat or dog for your birthday, but you never implicated that you ever wanted an animal, is it O.K. to refuse the animal?

MidnightCowboy 2012/06/15 03:11:01

• beach bum 2012/06/17 08:59:16
    Yes, because no one should even consider giving someone an animal unless that...
    beach bum
    yes
  • sockpuppet 2012/06/15 04:39:45
    sockpuppet
    NEVER give pets as a gift.
  • Jo 2012/06/15 03:18:01
    Jo
    this is a good question, and a tough one for me since I'm a HUGE animal lover, but a pet is a tremendous responsibility. I dont know your situation (your age, schedule, personal living situation, etc.,) but a taking on a pet is at least a 10-20 year committment, and my love for animals has me cringing at the thought of any pet in a situation where he/she may be conisdered more a burden than actually loved--NOT to imply that you wouldnt love it, but you know where I'm going; if you dont already own a pet, havent intimated that you want a pet, and arent actively seeking a pet, then theres a reason for it. Maybe you're situation is one where it simply wouldnt be practical, maybe you dont want the responsibiltiy, etc. It doesnt matter; as thoughtful or well-intended as it may be, its too much to take on if you're not looking to. Explain this to yor friend, and as uncomfortable as it may be, they should understand---I just hope another home for this animal can be found! Best of luck:))
  • Shawna 2012/06/15 03:12:34
    Shawna
    +1
    But if that doesn't work you can give it to me.

2014/04/20 01:08:36