Employer Asked Woman to Wear Mini-Skirts on Mondays: Should She Win Damages?

You'd think people would know better by now.

A Utah woman has sued her former employer for sexual harassment, claiming he asked her to wear a variety of sexy outfits on each day of the work week, The Salt Lake Tribune reports.

Trudy Nycole Anderson, 44, says she was told to follow the following wardrobe schedule, according to a civil complaint filed in U.S. District Court:

--"Mini-skirt Monday"
--"Tube-top Tuesday"
--"Wet T-shirt Wednesday"
--"No bra Thursday"
--"Bikini top Friday"

Our first question: Who wears a tube top to work?

Anderson worked as an office manager starting in September 2007, and Derek Wright, owner of Pleasant Grove-based Lone Peak Controls and D and L Electric Control Company, was her supervisor, according to the Tribune.

Wright "repeatedly asked Ms. Anderson about her breast size and talked about her breasts in front of other employees," the complaint states.

He also allegedly asked her to show him her breasts, slapped her on her buttocks and asked her for sex on several occasions, the complaint states.

Perhaps most serious, Wright brought Anderson a document in 2007 stating that she would agree to allow him to sexually harass her, according to the complaint. If Anderson didn’t sign the document, Wright told her she would lose her job.

Anderson claims she reported the sexual harassment and Wright retaliated by firing her in February 2011, and now she's seeking unknown damages. Should she win the case?

• Ben Brink 2011/08/10 17:36:28
    Ben Brink
    +29
    I am always amazed that people are so stupid, rude, or oblivious to the responsibilities of position. When I was asked by (male) sailors in my various commands how to interact with their female counterparts without their actions being misinterpreted as sexual harassment, I gave them two simple rules--1) consider how they would like their sister or their mother to be treated and 2) always be professional. For leaders--always treat subordinates with respect and any social interaction, which might be considered coerced because of the supervisor's position of power is completely off limits. I really don't think this stuff need be all that difficult.

• splodge 2011/08/14 10:02:44
    splodge
    +1
    Yes...she could always quit her job if it all gets too much, and especially if the employee is too old to wear flashy skirts/accessaries; purely made and designed for young employees.
  • La splodge 2011/08/18 13:21:27
    La
    +4
    Why should she have to quit her job? Then he would go on treating his female employees like that. He should have to stop, so a law suit is appropriate.
  • Aardfay splodge 2011/08/29 22:17:26
    Aardfay
    +1
    So if your neighbour harasses you, you'll move to another city?
  • antlerg... Aardfay 2011/09/18 20:56:32
    antlergirl21
    +2
    Also, people are already having enough trouble getting jobs. Why should she quit her job and possibly struggle with her bills and whatnot when he's the one who did something wrong?
  • Aardfay antlerg... 2011/09/21 19:16:53
    Aardfay
    +1
    Yeah. She doesn't have to quit. It wouldn't solve the problem and she would be the one in trouble instead of the abuser.
  • disclaimer 2011/08/14 05:32:26
    disclaimer
    +3
    That is the most disgusting thing I have ever heard. That bastard should be forced to resign and register as a sex offender, which would (hopefully) ruin him.

For all those people saying she's not entitled to money, she's entitled to lost wages because she was fired for reporting him. Most if not all states have laws stating that it's illegal to fire someone for filing a work-related police report.
  • Diane 2011/08/14 04:03:24
    Diane
    +1
    If he is threatening her or else....then yes she should get everything she is asking for and then some. That is sexual harrassment!
  • Arielle 2011/08/14 03:16:50
    Arielle
    I meant yes how you Change it.?!
  • Diane Arielle 2011/08/14 04:04:26
    Diane
    +1
    you just did. LOL I hear you and we all see your answer. have a good night.
  • JOMO 2011/08/14 02:42:00
    JOMO
    +1
    If just the verbal part of this woman's allegations are true she should win her complaint. If in fact the verbal and touching part of her complaint is proven to be true then not only should she win her complaint but she should file assault charges against her supervisor as well.

But then, I am speaking strictly from an emotional perspective, If you were to look at the protocol as to how sexual harassment complaints work my answer might have to change to "NO" to accommodate procedure. That is not to say if what she is alleging is true her supervisor is a pervert at minimum

Unfortunately or fortunately depending on perspective there is a procedure in the work place that an individual must follow when they feel they are a victim of sexual harassment. Most of which starts internally, so my next question would be, how long did this behavior take place...? And who if anyone did she report this supervisor's conduct to and if in fact she did report it at all, did she document it...? How much time from the first incident to the last before she found any corrective measures if any.

And if there were no corrective measure how long before she decided to take it to the next level, The Labor Board. Now don't get me wrong, this is not an attack on the woman in question. But there is a p...

And if there were no corrective measure how long before she decided to take it to the next level, The Labor Board. Now don't get me wrong, this is not an attack on the woman in question. But there is a procedure where this kind of issue is concern and if it is not followed then it leaves room for doubt on the part of the complaining party.

Every company that has two or more employees are subject to federal and state guide lines where issues like this are concerns. And are required to post information pursuant to such matters. So, if this information wasn't posted then the company itself is in violation. But then if the information was posted then why did she not follow procedure and get upper management involved and follow up with the labor board if she felt this matter was not being handled properly...?

Otherwise, like I said earlier, it leaves room for speculation, could she just be screaming foul as a result of being fired for poor performance. If what she is alleging is true I hope she did do all the right things and have witness's and get what she is seeking in compensation. Just One Man's Opinion
  • MariaWade 2011/08/14 01:27:59
  • rph636 MariaWade 2011/08/15 06:10:03
    rph636
    +1
    You're right, if I were on the jury I would vote not only for damages, but for a little time for him as well, let him slap BUBA on the ass and make all those suggestions.
  • MariaWade rph636 2011/08/16 18:15:10
    MariaWade
    +1
    LOL, and let it be someone that he is totally appalled by so it's not fun for him.
  • Eva 2011/08/14 00:35:58
    Eva
    +3
    How on Earth can anyone get away with that? What a jerk!
  • edm2000 2011/08/14 00:19:18
    edm2000
    +3
    So often sexual harassment cases are untrue or over stated. But, it this is true, her supervisor should never be allowed to be in management again and the company should pay reasonable damages.
    But it is up to a court to determine and then the problem is getting a fair trial.
    The company may have more resources to get better legal help. But if a good sexual assault lawyer wants to ruin the company, the verdict may be swayed in her favor.
    I believe our legal system is usually bought by the one with the most money.
  • Joe Falzone 2011/08/13 23:05:55
    Joe Falzone
    +1
    She can quit her job and find another..........If her employer is a creep then let the whole world know about it.. I can't say that she is entitled to damages because I have a problem with $$$ when it comes to being awarded. So why not every time something happens to a person give them $$$
  • Any Joe Fal... 2011/08/14 01:25:34
    Any
    +3
    I don't think that someone should have to leave their job because they are being harassed - the perpetrator should be stopped or other measures should be taken.
  • disclaimer Joe Fal... 2011/08/14 05:29:15
    disclaimer
    +1
    Oh, you are by far the biggest idiot I have ever met on this site. That's even worse than the guy who cussed me out because I support gay marriage, because at least he had a clear, immovable belief system. You just think men should be able to sexually harass women however the hell they want because they're entitled. I'd like to punch that dickhead's ballsack twice, and yours too.
  • wordpress disclaimer 2011/08/16 14:51:11
    wordpress
    +4
    What a stupid reply to someone's opinion on this matter. He doesn't say the man's entitled to do this, but the woman should have reporter earlier. Now she thinks she's entitled too a big amount of money while she should have just reported it earlier.
  • disclaimer wordpress 2011/08/16 17:04:52
  • Jami Gr... disclaimer 2011/08/19 17:45:36
    Jami Griffin
    +2
    no offense, because I agree with your opinion on the question... but maybe you shouldn't call people idiots and other names when you're portraying yourself as one. Maybe it didn't concern him but the matter didn't concern YOU at all either. Nobody asked you to insult joe's opinion WHICH by the way he was entitled to. Perhaps you should quit this site seeing as you have a problem with people sharing their opinions because if you didn't notice that's kind of what this site is about. Good day
  • Christi... wordpress 2011/09/01 19:39:24
    Christine Leo
    So what you are in affect saying is just to let him get away with sexual harassment because she didn't report it in a timely manner? So bigger picture: it is more important to you that this man gets away with sexual harassment and remains free to commit more abusive acts in the workplace because the victim didn't speak up asap. Well, when he gets around to sexually harassing your sister or daughter let us know how you see it then.
  • Gerald disclaimer 2012/03/24 11:57:36 (edited)
    Gerald
    +1
    People like Joe Falzone are entitled to their opinions. That being said, those opinion should be officially documented & they should be permanently banned from ever filling any type of discrimination lawsuits. Also, it would be nice if Joe's boss was a homosexual & harassed him on a daily basis & as a condition of employment, made him sign documents stating that it is acceptable. Since Joe approves of discriminatory behavior, it's only fair that he is treated the same way & should be given no legal recourse because it is against his own personal values.
  • disclaimer Gerald 2012/03/25 06:47:27
  • Christi... Joe Fal... 2011/09/16 02:19:22
    Christine Leo
    Then what should we give them to compensate for their damages and punish the wrongdoers? I would say dignity, but the wrongdoer obviously has none.
  • Jami Griffin 2011/08/13 19:26:43
    Jami Griffin
    +1
    As long as all of this REALLY happened. If it did then poor woman... yes I hope she wins.

I agree though that this woman should have done something a long time ago and it is really her fault for allowing this to continue. I know that she might have been scared... but what kind of person doesn't stand up for themselves in a situation like this? It seems like maybe she didn't want it to stop badly enough.
  • Christi... Jami Gr... 2011/09/01 19:46:00
    Christine Leo
    Or it could be that she needed to job to provide $ so that she can eat and pay rent? I think so. So let's look at this, the country is in the worse economic state since the Great Depression. If she loses her job God knows when she'll find another on. And you want her to take a stand when there are bills to be paid? It's like, "I can stand up for myself and be homeless and have my cable, gas, and electricity turned off, and eat soup for the next several weeks, or can shut up and keep my home?" We all want to be noble, but let's be realistic.
  • Jami Gr... Christi... 2011/09/08 11:23:10
    Jami Griffin
    The thing is, she DID report the guy, she DID stand up for herself... she just allowed it to go on for 4 years first.

When it comes to situations like this, I don't see what else a person can do BUT report the man. Sure, she needed money to provide for herself, but there was plenty she could do. She could have involved the police or Human resources, she could have spoken to someone higher up than her boss (if there were such a person), she could have done plenty to ensure that her job was safe and that the man didn't get away with this. It is illegal to fire someone or mess with their hours because they file a sexual harassment case against you unless you signed a policy that specifically states that you will be fired should you make such a claim, so if she had reported it earlier then her job could have been saved long enough for her to find another job AND she could have sued him. If he did illegally fire her she would have certainly been able to take him to court and considering any evidence she might have had she probably would have won. This is especially the case as she had eye witnesses and a document. It all goes without saying seeing as that is exactly what she is doing 4 years later.

Had it been me there wouldn't have been a question about whether I would 'take a stand...

Had it been me there wouldn't have been a question about whether I would 'take a stand' or not, and I sure as hell wouldn't have stayed at such a job. I have enough self worth to never allow someone to get away with this, and obviously so does she seeing as she's taken it as far as she has. I only think she should have stood up for herself earlier before it escalated so much. Had she, her case would have been much more solid and there would have been no question as to whether she would win the case or not. I'm aware that she might not have known what she could do but that's why you do whatever you can to educate yourself and know your rights and options.

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER.
  • JenniferXie 2011/08/13 18:31:04
    JenniferXie
    I mean.... REALLY? REALLY? REALLY? HAS THE WORLD COME TO THIS?
  • Tin Man 2011/08/13 15:19:58
    Tin Man
    Only because her boss made an ultimatum out of it, wear it or else. That made it sexual harassment and an invasion of her dignity as a person. Personally I've always enjoyed the site of a beautiful, leggy woman in a mini-skirt. But the wearing of one, even for private enjoyment should never be forced, even from a girlfriend. And nowhere do I see this boss had a business promoting the sale of them, to even potentially make it a job requirement.
  • RealAmericanBiker 2011/08/13 09:28:31
    RealAmericanBiker
    That was total stupidity on the employers part.
  • Bassinman 2011/08/13 07:04:53
    Bassinman
    If she was actually asked to wear one, she has every right. She should wear one if she wants to, unless her boss disagrees with it, but obviously he doesn't.
  • gidianedwards97 2011/08/13 06:13:44
    gidianedwards97
    because she wore it .she didn''t have to.
  • Jennife... gidiane... 2011/08/13 18:32:45
    JenniferXie
    Yes, but it was because he would have fired her... and it's not only about the miniskirt. It was about him saying that if she didn't let him sexually harass her, she would lose her job.
    This is too frivolous to even worry about.
  • Maleficent 2011/08/13 02:54:52
    Maleficent
    well if she wants to wear it.
  • us 2011/08/13 02:42:03
    us
    She said i don't own any, or don't wear it. Stand up for your values and say no.
  • thermoguy 2011/08/13 01:47:53
    thermoguy
    +1
    You can't allow it to happen and then complain about it afterwards. Women are protected by law and she should have dealt with the the employer's request in the beginning by saying no. Handling yourself well makes you more employable, she doesn't seem to be paying attention.
  • lunatic thermoguy 2011/08/13 02:32:42
    lunatic
    whut if she was scared to?
  • thermoguy lunatic 2011/08/15 14:25:31
    thermoguy
    I believe she would be scared because she is working for a creepy dude but she is protected by law. I would advise any woman or man in that situation to be professional, speak up and then follow process as the law protects you from sexual discrimination.

2014/10/02 06:37:25