Emma Watson Hangs With Dog After Pink Dye Job: OK or No Way?

We're pretty sure this color doesn't occur naturally. "Harry Potter" actress Emma Watson was spotted walking a friend's dog after it was dyed a bright pink, The Daily Mail reports, and animal lovers are crying foul.

The 1-year-old bichon frise, Darcy, was reportedly dyed pink via a $140 beetroot-based semi-permanent dye treatment at Groom Dog City in London. While Groom Dog City's owner called the treatment harmless, vet Emma Milne isn't convinced.

"Dogs are not playthings; they are not dolls. If you are putting a chemical on a dog’s fur, you could cause that dog problems. Even if the dye is completely safe -- and the dye that Emma Watson has used should be absolutely fine -- you are still altering the way the dog looks and smells to other animals," she told the Mail.

Groom Dog City Owner Stuart Simons disagreed, telling the Mail: "All the dyes I use are completely animal-friendly. They are made from vegetable dye. I wet the dog, rub it on like a shampoo, leave it for five minutes and then wash it off. Because Darcy is white, it takes really well. She is a very calm dog, absolutely lovely, and she enjoys her groom."

Watson explained on Twitter that her friend was raising money for breast cancer awareness -- hence the pink color. Do you have a problem with pink pooches? Or was Watson's friend just supporting a good cause?

• Always 2012/06/25 21:26:37 (edited)
    OK
    Always
    +13
    It wasn't even her dog, so you can't blame Emma Watson. Dyeing a dog isn't something I'd do, but at least it was safe dye. I just don't see any point in dyeing a dog. And beet juice is harmless. People are making too big of a deal about this.

• L1 2012/06/25 18:51:27
    No way
    L1
    +1
    Poor dogs! Is that even safe? I think that's abuse!
  • ☠ Live Free Or Die ☠ 2012/06/25 18:43:57
    No way
    ☠ Live Free Or Die ☠
    Someone needs to invent a new word to describe that level of stupidity.
  • Flamingolady 2012/06/25 18:43:52
    No way
    Flamingolady
    How awful for the dog to be seen with her.
  • Trish 2012/06/25 18:41:50
    No way
    Trish
    THIS IS NOT OKAY!!!!!
  • intolerantrwj 2012/06/25 18:41:47
    No way
    intolerantrwj
    .... at first I thought it was a bad idea, but then I said to myself ....

............... " Self, would you rather be dyed pink or died and a part of the White House Menu ? "

............................... suddenly, pink isn't such a bad option !
  • Sammi </3 2012/06/25 18:36:50
    OK
    Sammi </3
    +3
    the dog alive so it did not really matter to me
  • Nekosarethebest 2012/06/25 18:29:17 (edited)
    OK
    Nekosarethebest
    +4
    It isn't my dog... -_-
  • Anjali Shah 2012/06/25 18:28:15
    OK
    Anjali Shah
    +2
    I honestly don't really care what she does to her dog...
  • ravenanon 2012/06/25 18:28:10
    No way
    ravenanon
  • richard.maloney.7 2012/06/25 18:25:50
    OK
    richard.maloney.7
    +4

ok for one thing dogs are for the most part color blind.. and their fur or hair will still excrete the scent from the skin and from the glands of the dog... and dogs are not play things??? does that mean they should only be for function like protection and defence of property or for show like prize cattle? she doesnt mistreat the dog and the dye is not harming anyone.
  • JJ 2012/06/25 18:20:42
    No way
    JJ
    +2
    I think its great that her friend is invoved with cancer awarness, but those products they put on dogs have chemicals and are not good for the dog. When we use hair dye, do you think its just vegestable dye...no.They could have put a pink ribbon on the dog and brought about the same awarness.
  • rita.liddell 2012/06/25 18:06:44
    OK
    rita.liddell
    +2
    It does not hurt the dog, and it also does not sound like it will be something the owner maintains. It sounds like it is a one-time thing for the friend's effort to raise money with regard to breast cancer awareness. Look, it got our attention.
  • intoler... rita.li... 2012/06/25 18:43:38
    intolerantrwj
    .... sure beats being The Main Course < s >
  • BackstreetGirl<3 2012/06/25 18:03:50
    No way
    BackstreetGirl<3
    +1
    It's her dog, but I wouldn't do it myself. My pooch means to much to me if that dye turned out to do something and they look weird...
  • sarahholmwood 2012/06/25 18:02:10
    No way
    sarahholmwood
    +1
    people are so stupid they should invent a new word for them -.-
  • ♥##**AWESOME♥B****##**♥ 2012/06/25 18:02:10
    No way
    ♥##**AWESOME♥B****##**♥
    +1
    To pink and weird

2014/12/21 19:29:27