Duties of a Muslim towards a non-Muslim

Abdullah Baspren 2012/05/09 07:24:38
Islam Question & Answer
What is the duty of a Muslim towards a non-Muslim, whether he is a dhimmi in a Muslim country or in his own country, and the Muslim is living in the land of that non-Muslim? The duty I would like to have clarified is interactions of all kinds, starting with greeting and ending with celebrating the non-Muslim’s festivals with him. Is it permissible to take him as a friend at work only? Please advise us, may Allah reward you.

Muslim

Praise be to Allaah.

The duty of the Muslim towards a non-Muslim includes a number of things:

Firstly:

Da‘wah or calling him to Allah, may He be glorified and exalted. He should call him to Allah and explain to him the reality of Islam when possible, with regard to whatever issues he has knowledge about, because this is the greatest kindness that he can give to his fellow-citizens and to those whom he meets of Jews, Christians and others who may be mushrikeen (polytheists), because the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: “The one who guides others to goodness will have a reward like that of the one who does it.” And he (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said to ‘Ali (may Allah be pleased with him), when he sent him to Khaybar and instructed him to call the Jews to Islam: “By Allah, if Allah were to guide one man through you, that would be better for you than having red camels (the best kind).” And he (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: “Whoever calls others to right guidance will have a reward like that of those who follow him, without that detracting from their reward in the slightest.”

So calling him (the non-Muslim) to Islam, conveying Islam to him and being sincere towards him in that are among the best means of drawing close to Allah.

Secondly:

He should not wrong him, with regard to his physical wellbeing, his wealth or his honour. If he is a dhimmi (non-Muslim living under Muslim rule), musta’man (one who is granted security in a Muslim land) or mu‘aahid (one with whose country the Muslims have a peace deal), then he should give him his due rights, and not transgress against his wealth by stealing, betraying or deceiving, and he should not harm him physically by striking or killing him, because the fact that he is a mu‘aahid or dhimmi, or musta’man, means that he is protected by sharee‘ah.

Thirdly:

There is no reason why we should not interact with him, buying, selling, renting, hiring and so on. It is narrated in saheeh reports that the Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) bought from kuffaar who were idol worshippers, and he bought from the Jews, and these are interactions. When he (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) died, his shield was being held in pledge by a Jew for some food he had bought for his family (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him).

Fourthly:

With regard to greeting, the Muslim should not initiate the greeting, but he may return it, because the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: “Do not initiate the greeting of salaam with the Jews or Christians.” And he (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: “If the people of the Book greet you with salaam (by saying al-salaamu ‘alaykum), say ‘Wa ‘alaykum.’” So the Muslim should not initiate the greeting to a kaafir, but if the kaafir initiates it, and the Jew or Christians etc. greets you with salaam, then you should say “wa ‘alaykum,” as the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said.

These are some of the rights between a Muslim and a kaafir.

Another right is being a good neighbour. So if he is a neighbour, be kind to him and do not annoy him; give charity to him if he is poor, give him gifts, give him beneficial advice, because these are things that will attract him to Islam and to become Muslim; and because the neighbour has rights. The Messenger (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: “Jibreel kept urging me to be kind to my neighbour until I thought that he would make him my heir.” Saheeh - agreed upon. If the neighbour is a kaafir, he still has the rights of a neighbour; if he is both a relative and a kaafir, then he has two rights: the rights of a neighbour and the rights of a relative.

One of the rights of the neighbour is that you should give him charity, but not zakaah, if he is poor, because Allah says (interpretation of the meaning): “Allaah does not forbid you to deal justly and kindly with those who fought not against you on account of religion nor drove you out of your homes. Verily, Allaah loves those who deal with equity” [al-Mumtahanah 60:8]. According to the saheeh hadeeth narrated from Asma’ bint Abi Bakr (may Allah be pleased with her), her mother, who was a mushrik, entered upon her during the truce between the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) and the people of Makkah, seeking help. Asma’ asked the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) for permission - should she uphold ties of kinship with her? The Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: “Uphold ties of kinship with her.”

But with regard to celebrating their festivals, the Muslim should not take part in celebrating their festivals, but there is nothing wrong with offering them condolences if a loved one dies, such as saying “May Allah compensate you in your loss” and other kind words. But he should not say “May Allah forgive him” or “May Allah have mercy on him” if the deceased was a kaafir, and he should not pray for the deceased if he was a kaafir. But he may pray for the one who is alive to be guided and to be compensated and so on. End quote.

Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz (may Allah have mercy on him).

Fataawa Noor ‘ala al-Darb, 1/289-291.
----------------------------------
And the meaning of the word “wa ‘alaykum,” = Similarly, to you

This is only a special word (sallaam) ..
I do not mind that I greet with other like (hello) (Good morning) (Good evening) and any other good words.

Of course here show the wisdom of the prophet in this simple .. A special deal with non-Arab Muslims at the time

Let me explain to you:
al-salaamu ‘alaykum = Peace upon you
al-saaamu ‘alaykum =I wish you die by poison

One can not differentiate between them when they hear them

Pulled by the Prophet Concern What is a non-Muslim greetings .. Is it peace .. Or wishing for death .. This causes a lot of doubts .. But it was a very wise guidance the Prophet in just one word in Arabic that are: (“wa ‘alaykum,”) =Similarly, to you

You must be a member of the group Islam Question & Answer to vote on this poll.

• TerryAgee 2012/05/09 13:10:58 (edited)
    TerryAgee
    +6
    My friend, these are good rules for Muslims to live by. Well done! May we Christians have mercy on you as well.

• Guru Casper BN-ZERO 2012/05/09 17:57:09
    Guru Casper BN-ZERO
    +1
    salaam alaykhum
    I was a Jehovah's Witness,I was taught similarly about wordlings(non-JW's)
    I'm Unitarian,I try to treat others in accordance with the 7 Pinciples

The inherent worth and dignity of every person;
    Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;
    Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;
    A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;
    The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;
    The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all;
    Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.

and with empathy,as taught by great teachers such as Jesus(pbuh!)
    casperstclair rule
  • Abdulla... Guru Ca... 2012/05/10 05:36:05
    Abdullah Baspren
    +1
    thank you for your comment :D
  • Richy Guru Ca... 2012/05/26 01:25:48
    Richy
    I was a soldier, fought in the Gulf war had my share of Muslim Kindness, It was in the form of bullets, torturing of innocent people including children, rape, women have no rights, so where was the peace? The Koran specifically states to bind and cut off the head of the none believers, and there was no new testament in the Koran.

"Believers, do not make friends with any but your own people...They desire nothing but your ruin....You believe in the entire Book...When they meet you they say: 'We, too, are believers.' But when alone, they bite their finger-tips with rage." (Surah 3:118, 119)

"Forbidden to you are...married women, except those you own as slaves." (Surah 4:20-, 24-)

"Believers, take neither Jews nor Christians for your friends." (Surah 5:51)
    Allah is an enemy to unbelievers. - Sura 2:98

just few of many
  • Abdulla... Richy 2012/05/26 05:41:14
    Abdullah Baspren
    Subject needs to detail in order to understand it
    First, not every act of bad people from your point of view represents Islam. Is not necessarily from the teachings of Islam ..
    For clarification .. Look at the current massacres in Syria .. Right now they are being killed all the ugliness of your view of Muslims?
    But what you do not know they are not .. They (the Shiites).

The second thing: Guidance in the Quran and that always do you use .. You must read the interpretation of the Koran in order to know the reason for the revelation of this verse. In the fell, and is it is constant to now .. Or order of the Prophet Muhammad at a particular time because of a particular incident .. Ended at that time ..

It is difficult to detail in this comment .. But a simple question for you my brother:
    Did you read the Koran with explanation ..
  • Richy Abdulla... 2012/05/26 14:33:19
    Richy
    But why would you respect and lift up a prophet (Muhammad)at all, he forced people to convert he forced people to eat his feces and drink his urine, he used brutal tactics to gain followers then look at the young girls he married and the last wife an infant baby , what people would give belief much less love to a prophet that would do those things?
    As far as reading the Koran I've read a lot of it but I found yet justification for much of its teachings. But not to say I know it is up to people to make good decisions and I know there are lots of good people whom are Muslims that want nothing more just to get a job raise a family and live a life of peace, I just can't find it if one is to believe in the entire Koran, when I fought in the Gulf war I was assigned to mortuary affairs and search and rescue, Saddam Hussein's army tortured women and kids to force the husbands to join his cause, little girls had rifles shoved up their vaginas, sticks, kids were beaten so bad their little heads felt like jello trying to slide through your fingers all in the name of Allah so they shouted. Is it not Allah's ruling laws of the Koran women should have no rights but be submissive under a man? But Like I said there are good and bad of those who twist and distort the faiths of the land they are from of any races. But to call any man a brother is only good if you can call any woman your sister.
  • sam123 Richy 2012/05/30 04:34:25
    sam123
    +1
    excuse me
    I quote from you @@@
    ''''''he forced people to convert he forced people to eat his feces and drink his urine, he used brutal tactics to gain followers then look at the young girls he married and the last wife an infant baby , what people would give belief much less love to a prophet that would do those things?''''

where did you get that from ?

Can you back your claim with evidence please , your sources , the book where did you read this , the number of pages, if not , you will be labbeled as a liar
    waiting for your reply
  • Abdulla... Richy 2012/05/30 10:09:44
    Abdullah Baspren
    First: Did you read all the addresses in the group? I think the answer is no!!
    Because on the marriage of the Prophet Muhammad. Been answered in detail ..
    http://www.sodahead.com/livin...

The wife's rights and women in Islam .. Also been answered

On the whole .. I do not blame most of the non-Muslims not understanding a lot of things .. Why?
    They do not know the difference between a Sunni Muslim ... And Shiite (calculated on Islam)

All the bad deeds they do the Shiites. Is the name of Islam .. And who do not know that they are not.
    See them in the (Iraq - Iran - Syria ...)
    Now, two days before they lose massacre and killing of children in Syria ..

I ask you to differentiate between the two ..
    Heinous acts of the Shiites. You are held accountable Islam .. This is very very very big mistake

Yes Every Muslim woman like my sister ..
    Yes Every old Muslim woman like my mother ..
    Yes Every young Muslim woman like my daughter ..
  • NarcolepticGoat 2012/05/09 13:14:47 (edited)
    NarcolepticGoat
    +1
    Thank you :)

How does this change if I interact in daily life in small dealings (storekeeper, taxi driver, potential employer etc) when I am a woman and he is a guy?

edit: oops, I am a Christian woman in the USA
  • Abdulla... Narcole... 2012/05/10 05:36:10
    Abdullah Baspren
    +1
    thank you for your comment :D
    TerryAgee
    +6
  • Abdulla... TerryAgee 2012/05/10 05:36:16
    Abdullah Baspren
    +1
    thank you for your comment :D
  • TerryAgee Abdulla... 2012/05/10 16:39:05
    TerryAgee
    Most certainly my friend!!!
  • TheR 2012/05/09 12:52:41 (edited)
    TheR
    +1
    Wa ‘alaykum But I am not a Muslim, nor do I support Muslim Violence. As I do not support Western Violence. I am a disciple of Jesus. I encompass all religion, and all people who wish well to all mankind. To become one, or the other, is to discriminate against myself, for it is I who is all, and all who is I. Jesus Photo

Nor do I support Pornography, or Homosexuality. Why? Because this is Violence to the soul, violence to the heart, violence to the family, violence to the morality and meaning to being adults. I think children are of higher character than adults, not because they don't know, but because purity is the real life power.
  • Abdulla... TheR 2012/05/10 06:23:53
    Abdullah Baspren
    +2
    We say this, not you .. “wa ‘alaykum,”
    In response to salute you ..

Let me explain to you:
    al-salaamu ‘alaykum = Peace upon you

:D
  • TheR Abdulla... 2012/05/10 10:13:36
    TheR
    Yes. Thanks for this. Very well said.
  • Abdulla... TheR 2012/05/10 12:22:20
    Abdullah Baspren
    you are welcome :D
  • TheR Abdulla... 2012/05/10 12:39:33
    TheR
    al-salaamu ‘alaykum
  • Abdulla... TheR 2012/05/10 23:02:22
    Abdullah Baspren
    +1
    (“wa ‘alaykum,”) :D
  • Foxhound BN0 2012/05/09 09:27:52
    Foxhound BN0
    I don't suppose Muslims have a duty not to bore us all to death with inane and unending religious nitpicking like an old maid with nothing better to do is there? Islam sucks, just like all religion, and you sound like a bunch of nerdy control freaks worried about who is doing what with who and when and how and how about just stfu, Islam?
    control freaks
  • Foxhoun... Foxhoun... 2012/05/09 09:32:33 (edited)
    Foxhound BN0
    "you can't do this, you can't do that, you should do this you should you should we should". jesus F christ what a fing load!!! talk talk talk talk talk. If i had to live in an islamic country i would blow my fing brains out to get away from you nuts. we just got away from christian rule in America and I for one have zero plans to suck up to any religion. The first mf that sticks his koran in my face and says, you should, is going to get a koran up their as. (Nothing against you personally, Abdullah.)
  • Abdulla... Foxhoun... 2012/05/09 10:50:44
    Abdullah Baspren
    +1
    I do not mind to say your opinion ..
    On the one hand it may be true your words .. But the person who tried spiritual emptiness, which reaches a lot you have to commit suicide with it is available has everything .. And not prohibited by any thing .. However kills himself?
    I can not describe to you the peace of mind experienced by true Muslim .. Because the Spirit need to satisfy .. And do not have it .. But obedience to God .. I hope that one day you understand my words and experience.
  • Foxhoun... Abdulla... 2012/05/09 10:52:46
    Foxhound BN0
    One day I hope you can learn from mine, dear friend.
  • Abdulla... Foxhoun... 2012/05/10 05:36:35
    Abdullah Baspren
    +1
    thank you for your comment :D
  • David H... Foxhoun... 2012/05/10 06:54:50
    David Hussey
    Sounds to me like you are issuing your own set of "you should" rules
  • Foxhoun... David H... 2012/05/10 11:04:50
    Foxhound BN0
    idk but whatever I say it's from me not a god.
  • Abdulla... Foxhoun... 2012/05/10 12:25:35
    Abdullah Baspren
    This guidance from Allah in the Qur'an revealed by God to the Prophet Mohammed ..
    1400 years
    Since that time, the Qur'an has not changed a single character ..
  • Foxhoun... Abdulla... 2012/05/10 13:07:23
    Foxhound BN0
    +1
    that's called living in the dark ages. i like good advice but i do not believe in deities. if i did believe in a god i would curse him for being so cruel. it is far more likely that there is no god and that we are just animals, and we are progressing, in spite of religion.
  • sam123 Foxhoun... 2012/05/30 05:06:29
    sam123
    +2
    that is not called dark ages
    the prophet Mohammed peace be upon him has been sent to all mankind to bring them from darkness to light .

dark ages Foxhoun.. were those periods of Romans pagans and Greek metheology and persian fire worshipper.
    dark ages foxhoun were those period where people used to make their God from bread and date , worshipping it during the day and eating in their dinner.
    dark ages Foxhoun were those period where yong girls burried alive, killing and fighting over 1 camel..
    dark ages had been experienced in dark ages outside arabia were unbearable foxhaun ... , no justice , no freedom , the churches and cleargymen were god .... slavery ... domination , the stonger is the winner , ect...ect

when Islam came Foxhaun .. , he gave meaning to life , when Islam came he cleans the spirit of people , the body, the mind from paganism , Islam saves people from hellfire and came to guide people to the right path , the middle path.... hecame with the same message ''' believe in one God '' Allah

we are not animals , we are human being and we have been created for a purpose , to worship god , to do good and forbid evil, worship not just going to mosque or chirches or synagog , but to be kind to your parent is a form of worship , be generous to your neighbor, be g...

that is not called dark ages

we are not animals , we are human being and we have been created for a purpose , to worship god , to do good and forbid evil, worship not just going to mosque or chirches or synagog , but to be kind to your parent is a form of worship , be generous to your neighbor, be good citizen, look after environment , not to abuse yourself by using drug or alcohol , to be loving and caring toward your wife and your kids ... to look after animals and not harm them or kill them for non reason ... to be honest , just, sincere, have good attention ....ect...ect.. not to transgress or occupy other countries

all these are form of worship.

Allah is merceful , most kind and cruelty is from people who do not understand themselves.

so do not blame God for your exitence, for being here in this life , do not hate yourself or be angry.

I hope this liite gentle reminder will help you to give you some assurance and peace of mind .
    greetings ,
  • Foxhoun... sam123 2012/05/30 11:30:46
    Foxhound BN0
    It's all superstition and occultism to me but thank you.
  • sam123 Foxhoun... 2012/05/30 15:31:48
    sam123
    +2
    if you say so ,
    but just read history -islamic history - and be open mind.. no harm done
  • Foxhoun... sam123 2012/05/30 17:39:15
    Foxhound BN0
    I'm just not that interested. I have left religion behind me. I am only here to support your right be here without being picked on by the rwnjs..
  • sam123 Foxhoun... 2012/05/30 21:36:49
  • Jerry sam123 2013/03/06 17:01:16
    Jerry
    "the prophet Mohammed has been sent to all mankind to bring them from darkness to light ."
    Says who? Mohammed?
    IMHO, here is a man made religion, that came after the Bible was closed.
    In it it's written about false prophets, false Christs and that anyone should not add to those scriptures.
    Shortly after Christ the spiritual chaos started. Pagan Romans became Catholics, then the Islam came and fairly recently an other man made religion came with their own book, the Mormons. How about Jim Jones, Rev Moon, all the TV evangeists? They all claim "God told me"
    Now lets think about something. How many Gods do we have here?
  • Abdulla... Jerry 2013/03/06 17:56:59
    Abdullah Baspren
    Only one ..
    There is a difference between those who say God told me and has no true book of God .. And the Koran, which the whole world prove that he has not changed and science proves every time that the facts do not conflict with science .. And prove that the Word of God and it is impossible to be the words of a man who does not read or write in the desert, such as the Prophet Muhammad
  • Jerry Abdulla... 2013/03/06 20:17:00
    Jerry
    The Mormons have similar story. So how many Gods do we have?
    They do not believe in Koran and you don't believe in their book of Mormon.
    Their proof is a story and so is Koran. For many even the whole Bible.
    Until God comes and explains himself, we have all these choices and you can't force one faith on others, if they don't want it.

2014/09/02 04:35:31