DUI Jail Bail: Would you bail out your child if arrested for DUI?

Roger 2009/06/19 17:58:04
Yes, I would go bail my child out of jail immediately.
No. I would let my child sit in jail overnight to teach them a lesson.
If my child was arrested for a DUI, I would...
Parents subconsciously dread the phone call that says their child has been arrested and in jail. But what if you did get that phone call? Would you rush to bail out your son or daughter from jail? Or would you leave them there to think about their actions? Now, I know that there are a lot of circumstances where one could get arrested, so lets use the hypothetical situation that your child was in jail for a DUI. What would you do?

• Rover 2009/06/19 18:31:46
    Rover
    +7
    Not just overnight! My sons know I will not bail them out - at all! I will visit them and try to support them emotionally... but tough love is - 'Do the crime... Do the time!'

• Sam 2009/06/20 03:31:51
    Sam
    +2
    My second oldest son who was 17 at the time. He called me at 2am on a Sat. Told me he was at the local jail. We lived in a little farm town in Ohio at the time. He said he was speeding I asked how fast, he said 60mph. He was downtown where the speed limit was 25mph. I could tell by his voice he was drunk so I told him to go to sleep and I would see him on moday. He said why you being so hard. I did leave him there for the weekend.
  • Maddie 2009/06/20 03:21:16
    Maddie
    +2
    nope because that's what he did and that is where he sat over night. And now he is paying for everything.. And my daughter I took her to jail and and the cop met us there and booked her and then she had to bail herself out and pay all court cost and lawyer fee.. But hers was not a DUI
  • GrandGizmo 2009/06/20 02:16:23
  • linny GrandGizmo 2009/06/22 09:33:14
    linny
    +1
    Won't work, I tried talking to him and like all kids he tuned me out.
    And I drove a school bus.
    So you know where you can go.
    I put up with parents like you.
    by
  • GrandGizmo linny 2009/06/23 00:13:38
  • Tsi-na linny 2009/06/23 02:57:47
    Tsi-na
    When you nag constantly and never really say anything they tend to treat you like a grown up on Peanuts... "wah-wah wah... wah wah"
  • rebel5871 2009/06/20 01:45:47
    rebel5871
    +2
    my child would sit in jail. but when said child got home. my punishment would be worse then what any court could do. never mind fearing the judge. be very afraid of dad. when she was growing up i did spank her. and she never had to see a head shrinker. she grew up to be a responsible adult.
  • alonnastorm 2009/06/20 01:25:44
    alonnastorm
    +2
    Driving drunk kills and is very serious..
  • Tsi-na 2009/06/20 01:15:17
    Tsi-na
    +1
    Once. She knows to call me if she decides to drink, or if her friends are.

She also knows I had a glass of wine the other night when we went out to dinner with her dad (he ordered it for me but I didn't have to drink it) .. he had 2 mixed drinks... and we both drove home.

One glass of wine doesn't put one over the legal limit (not me anyway) but I am also not a hypocrite.
  • linny Tsi-na 2009/06/22 09:33:53
  • Tsi-na linny 2009/06/23 02:58:31
    Tsi-na
    you mean "Bye bye?" "by and by?"
  • Edward 2009/06/20 01:11:14
    Edward
    +2
    they have to learn and wonder if they had killed someone?
  • true american 2009/06/20 00:06:40
    true american
    +2
    I say you do the crime ,you do the time.
  • artist1963-Progressive Patr... 2009/06/19 23:15:52 (edited)
    artist1963-Progressive Patriot for Change
    +2
    Nope!!!!! If my kids screw up by being stupid whether it be drugs, alcohol or anything that is against the law, I am NOT spending what little money I have to "help them out". Seen too many parents doing this and their kids kept getting into trouble because Mom and Dad will "throw them a life-line" all the time.
    If they want to "play with fire", they have to put out the flames themselves.
  • klr43{ In God I trust} 2009/06/19 22:35:25
    klr43{ In God I trust}
    +2
    I let my husband sit 20 yrs ago so I guess it would only be right to keep my kid sit too.
  • Dussy 2009/06/19 22:33:14 (edited)
    Dussy
    +2
    Yes, of course. My children are grown now, but there's no way I would let them sit in jail a minute longer than necessary, even if if one of them made a dumb mistake like DUI. There are better ways of learning the lesson.
  • linny Dussy 2009/06/22 09:35:39
    linny
    +1
    Right.
    I drove school bus and had to put up with my own kid.
    I let him sit in jail for a whole week.
    He knows better than to call mom.
    And I mean it.
  • Tsi-na linny 2009/06/23 03:05:05
    Tsi-na
    "had to put up with?" Nice.

Not a huge shock, really.
  • captkirk999 2009/06/19 22:32:42
    captkirk999
    +3
    You learn to drive. You must learn the responsiblty that comes with it.
  • Macl 2009/06/19 22:07:49
    Macl
    +3
    My son is 28, my daughter is 23. Both of them are fine, upstanding young adults any, any, parent would be proud of. This didn't happen by accident. My wife and I RAISED our children. We just didn't let them grow up. You teach your children from day one, that right is right and wrong is wrong. They have a healthy respect for the law as well as respect for others rights. And yes I did spank my kids when they misbehaved and no they did not grow up warped adults needing hours of therapy. Fear is the beginning of all knowledge. Fear of what happens when you do wrong. Fear of results for bad behaviour. Fear of dad's belt. Sound crazy? Nope it's love! The sting of dad's belt is far, far less than what the world would impose on them if I did not correct their behaviour. I would rather teach them right from wrong in my home, my way, than the world and it's ways. And the thing is teaching them this lesson early on taught them lessons they have kept all their lives. I spanked my kids a total of 4 times in their lives. From that time on they knew dad was serious when he said "No". And how do they feel about mom and dad today? Just ask them. They will tell you of their deep and abiding lover for their mom and dad. LOVE, COMPASSION, DISCIPLINE. The three cornerstones of raising children.
  • connie (in name only) BN-0 2009/06/19 21:32:50
    connie (in name only) BN-0
    +2
    I would bail them out once for a DUI. No seconds......
  • ☼ Homeward Bound ☼ 2009/06/19 21:21:54
    ☼ Homeward Bound ☼
    +2
    Absolutely not.
  • concerned 2009/06/19 21:16:17
    concerned
    +2
    i will always try to get my child out of jail if possible
  • linny concerned 2009/06/22 09:37:31
    linny
    +2
    That is why the kids are going wild.
    No example. Parents cannot control the kids anymore.
    Just go get the brat and he can do it all over again.
  • concerned linny 2009/06/22 14:55:39
    concerned
    +1
    well I do know most mothers will not see their child in jail if they can help it
  • Tsi-na concerned 2009/06/23 03:13:00
    Tsi-na
    This being a hypothetical most of us are saying, Yes... and will likely never have to, because our kids know we love them no matter what... If they mess up by drinking when they have driven somewhere they will get a ride, knowing we will take them back to get their car... or they will call us, knowing that we will get dressed and come and pick them up... AND take them back to get their car...

I think linny just doesn't get it... And wouldn't out herself out to support her kid it sounds like....She has already let her kid sit in jail for a week and he knows not to call his mom she says... How sad for her kid.
  • concerned Tsi-na 2009/06/23 03:21:02
    concerned
    +1
    my childern do not drink ..so I would not have to but yes I would go and get my child ...and we could talk about the problem ...but I never want to see my child in jail
  • MonkeyOnMyBackIsTheLastestT... 2009/06/19 21:08:14
    MonkeyOnMyBackIsTheLastestTrend
    +4
    Bail them out and then get arrested for slapping the shit out of them in car
  • Macl MonkeyO... 2009/06/19 22:11:05
    Macl
    +1
    LOL!! That's really cool! Wish I thought of that one.........
  • MonkeyO... Macl 2009/06/19 23:35:57
    MonkeyOnMyBackIsTheLastestTrend
    yea lol, lets hope i have someone to bail me out yea lol hope bail
  • Dewymoon 2009/06/19 21:06:21
    Dewymoon
    +2
    I had this happen not to long ago .... he was not DUI but he was jailed for underage drinking .... he is 20 ..... I have a policy with my kids ..... You have ONE get out of jail card ..... Use it wisely ....... I did make him sit and stew for a while ...... Some lessons take tough measures to be learned policy kids jail card wisely stew lessons tough measures learned
  • Gorky 2009/06/19 20:49:40
    Gorky
    +1
    My kids are much smarter then to get themselves into a situation like that
    +2
    car is a big weapon
  • jams 2009/06/19 20:45:02
    jams
    +1
    Yes, immediately if not sooner
  • Hula girl - Friends not Fol... 2009/06/19 20:43:31
    Hula girl - Friends not Followers
    +3
    Drinking, shoplifting, any offense has a price...bailing them out doesn't teach them anything more than they aren't held accountable.
  • Barefoot Peace and Love∞ijm... 2009/06/19 20:38:49
    Barefoot Peace and Love∞ijm♥☮♥∞
    +2
    I would let them sit there a minute... I hope you don't think that is mean... but they need to sober up before I chew them a new one...I would want them to understand every single word I had to say...
    Peace and Love....
  • gtstc 2009/06/19 20:27:40 (edited)
    gtstc
    +2
    I wouldnt want them to get hurt in jail. If anyone beats them it will be me when I get them home for DUI.
    I guarantee that I will have a bigger influence then the law in this case.
  • twothunders 2009/06/19 20:27:20
    twothunders
    +5
    I have made it perfectly clear to my children that if they get thrown in jail for something like....don't call me. Besides they are probably safer in jail, especially if they are inderage when it happens!
  • MisterD 2009/06/19 20:12:05
    MisterD
    +4
    My children are all grown up now; but, they knew if they were picked up while living with me, that they would stay in jail. Of course, it should go without saying that now that they're independent and adult: No Way!
    teach lesson children grown picked living stay jail independent adult
  • iamnothere 2009/06/19 19:44:04
    iamnothere
    +2
    Figure he is a big boy.. he would get the idea that he was responsible for his own actions.. .. but yes I would bail him out.. let him sober up a little bit..

2014/10/01 04:28:41