Drinking While Pregnant: OK in Moderation or Not Worth the Risk?

According to five new Danish studies, drinking occasionally while pregnant may not be such a big deal after all.

Researchers took a look at more than 1,600 Danish women and their children, and compared kids born to nondrinkers to those who had mothers who could be categorized as light drinkers (1-4 a week), moderate drinkers (5-8 a week), or heavy drinkers (9+ a week). (Keep in mind that an alcoholic drink in Denmark is defined as 0.4 ounces of pure alcohol compared to 0.6 in the U.S.)

The scientists controlled for outside factors, such as smoking and the mother’s intelligence, and found that light or moderate drinking while pregnant did not have any noticeable impact on a child’s overall IQ, attention span, or self-control. However, the children of heavy drinkers did have considerably shorter attention spans compared to their counterparts.

Despite the growing evidence that light to moderate drinking during pregnancy is harmless, many doctors still strongly discourage the practice.

Dr. Jacquelyn Betrand, representative for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and co-author of three of the studies, told HealthPop: "This study doesn't change our recommendation. We have a long history that alcohol causes birth defects. Drinking during pregnancy is just not worth the risk."

What do you think SodaHeads? Is drinking while pregnant OK in moderation or not worth the risk?

Read More: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-57456907-10...

• Just Jenn for Now 2012/06/24 21:55:34 (edited)
    OK in Moderation
    Just Jenn for Now
    +12
    Just don't drink anything heavy; vodka, tequila, or other liquor. Red wine is good for your health anyway, just stick to one glass and don't have it EVERY day.

Moderation is your friend, people.

(Keep in mind, I'm not promoting drinking while pregnant. I'm just saying it's NOT as big of a deal as long as some idiot doesn't frizock it up by binge-drinking to this news.)

• I don't... I don't... 2012/06/25 04:31:41 (edited)
    I don't like Obama in office
    -----Or Mother and or father that had dental work an say Amalgam Note: those “silver fillings” aren’t silver. Its mainly mercury ...

Obama care???

Obama Appointed FDA Margaret Hamburg, in about 2009 refused to

ban

or recall compensate for the many misdiagnosed given wronge kind of treatment & Drugs to make matter worse for those that

have the mercury used in dental work known as Amalgam Note: those “silver fillings” aren’t silver. Its mainly

mercury ! Time released poison, Question how many are on welfare programs with a Disablitiy such in link with or how many people is the Forced plans not on the well far system all the while not holding the Government over sight the makers or or the doctors that use it lible.

The health problems reads like the nightmare of Gulf war syndrome ,pain, Ringing ear's, thyroid, Overweight

And Diabetes & More like Birth defects, memory problems, Mental Illness problems like ADHD, Schizophrenia etc

Or
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/... , Ménière's disease read alot like the signs of poisoning
    , came to be known from a another frenchmen in about the year 1861 as Amalgam has been in use sence about the earlly 1800's

nformation call "1 651 644 4572" or write DAMS 1043 Grand Ave, #317 St Paul MN 55105

"dams@usfamily.net"

N...

Obama care???

ban

Or

"dams@usfamily.net"

Name of a Lawyer fighting back

Robert B. Reeves The Reeves Law Group Phone: 800-644-8000

Fax: 877-491-7860 or call 1-859-226-9000 ,

research to

This is One Link , http://www.thefreelibrary.com...

Interaction Between Electromagnetic Radiation and Toxic Metals

by Charles Masur, MD ...

related factor about the concern with the wirless gird
  • I don't... I don't... 2012/06/25 04:32:42
    I don't like Obama in office
    The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has been concealing the mercury in amalgam dental fillings from the American public for more than 30 years
    http://usaviews.com/2009/08/2...

Corruption at the FDA Over Dental Amalgam
    Issue: Amalgam Dental Fillings = Mercury Poisoning.
    The FDA (Food and Drug Administration) website recently removed a warning that it previously reluctantly posted about the toxicity of amalgam dental fillings. Why? FDA Commissioner Margaret Hamburg holds stock in the company (Henry Schein) that makes mercury fillings and she thinks it’s okay that Americans continue to be poisoned by this proved neurotoxin. The silver fillings placed in people’s mouths are comprised of 50% mercury.
    http://www.wellsphere.com/hea...
    FDA Commissioner Margaret Hamburg has a Secret: A Mercury Amalgam Update from Charles G Brown, ToxicTeeth.org
    Maybe you can have more success than I have had in finding out Hamburg’s secret. The corporate bigwigs at Henry Schein have her contact information; why shouldn’t you? Would you call Dr. Hamburg, at 301.796-5000, or write Dr. Hamburg, at margaret.hamburg@fda.hhs.gov

http://youtu.be/VivBYrnJcCY
    Charlie Brown of Consumers for dental choice details FDA commissioner Margaret Hamburg's conflicts of inter...
    http://usaviews.com/2009/08/2...

http://www.wellsphere.com/hea...

http://youtu.be/VivBYrnJcCY
    Charlie Brown of Consumers for dental choice details FDA commissioner Margaret Hamburg's conflicts of interest with the dental amalgam rule. see www.mercuryexposure.info for more information
  • I don't... I don't... 2012/06/25 04:34:34
  • Skye 2012/06/25 02:29:05
    Not Worth the Risk
    Skye
    You can't drink until your 21. Drinking while your pregnant will get to the baby. Lol, I'm joking about the 21 part.
  • mklprc 2012/06/25 02:22:03
    OK in Moderation
    mklprc
    +4
    Much better to keep drinking as much as you want and avoid pregnancy at all costs. The planet is full enough.
  • Just Je... mklprc 2012/06/25 06:18:36
    Just Jenn for Now
    Callous as it sounds, I agree with you.
  • y so serious 2012/06/25 02:18:50 (edited)
    Not Worth the Risk
    y so serious
    +4
    Okay okay seriously now, where's the SMART question?

smile
  • David 2012/06/25 02:13:07
    Not Worth the Risk
    David
    +1
    The picture looks like the mother is asking the baby: "you want some?"
  • ☆ QueenAline 2012/06/25 02:04:16
    Not Worth the Risk
    ☆ QueenAline
    +1
    Never worth the risk..
  • Kit_Kat 2012/06/25 01:53:57
    OK in Moderation
    Kit_Kat
    +2
    There is nothing at all w with having a glass of wine or something every once in awhile during pregnancy
  • Sodaz56 2012/06/25 01:51:33
    Not Worth the Risk
    Sodaz56
    +7
    Why does a sweet baby have to be hurt by a mother's stupid addiction?!
  • Joey 2012/06/25 01:48:37
    Not Worth the Risk
    Joey
    +3
    Why risk it ?
  • Sweetness 2012/06/25 01:43:42
    Not Worth the Risk
    Sweetness
    +6
    You can wait 9 months..
  • Silent Bob 2012/06/25 01:41:38
    Not Worth the Risk
    Silent Bob
    +5
    That's disgusting.
  • Krumcakes 2012/06/25 01:34:29
    Not Worth the Risk
    Krumcakes
    +7
    Anyone who thinks it's worth the risk, shouldn't be a parent.
  • philly 2012/06/25 01:31:13
    Not Worth the Risk
    philly
    +1
    Some people say a glass of wine a day is healthy and some people say it is bad,In my opinion it is not worth the risk,anything that even remotely could hurt the baby I would not allow my wife to do but it comes down to what the expecting mother decides it is ultimitly her choice
  • Charu ∞ijm♥∞ 2012/06/25 01:29:46
    OK in Moderation
    Charu ∞ijm♥∞
    +1
    I was told by my OB/GYN Dr to drink 2 glasses of red wine a day while I was pregnant because I was anemic.
  • Handel9652 Charu ∞... 2012/06/25 02:21:22
    Handel9652
    +2
    Did you question it when you were told that, and did he/she give you an answer as to why that would help? Did you get a second opinion?
  • Charu ∞... Handel9652 2012/06/25 02:34:54
    Charu ∞ijm♥∞
    +3
    I was in Germany and it was a foreign doctor. Yes, I did ask another Doctor as it is normal over there, red wine builds up your red blood count. My child was born perfectly normal and has an IQ of 160. Now the glasses that I had equaled 8ozs.
  • Handel9652 Charu ∞... 2012/06/25 02:53:47
    Handel9652
    At least it was more than one doctor, and I'll have faith that Germany isn't completely mistaken on the topic, given their culture... But, I still feel that there are other equally-adequate sources of iron with less risk. Nevertheless, I appreciate that it was something recommended to you, as opposed to the majority of people who do it because they can't stand to change their lifestyle with-child.
  • Charu ∞... Handel9652 2012/06/25 13:08:14
    Charu ∞ijm♥∞
    I did not drink at the time the Doctor told me to but I did feel better and and my blood count became normal. I was already taking the prescribed amount of iron and he said wine was a natural way and my body would receive it better. No harm was done to the child in any way shape or form....actually she was a very advanced child....rolling to where she wanted to go @ 6 weeks, walking @ 7 months and totally potty trained before her 1st birthday. I did the same thing with my other pregnancies. :)
  • ID51 2012/06/25 01:16:59
    Not Worth the Risk
    ID51
    +4
    I didn't drink at all while pregnant - nor even take any medication not approved by my doctor, and I'm glad. Had anything gone wrong, the guilt would have been awful.
  • XXrawwwrXX 2012/06/25 01:12:16
    Not Worth the Risk
    XXrawwwrXX
    +1
    while some women can drink their whole pregnancy and the baby is fine, you never know. one sip could cause your baby to have defects.
  • Brony4Life 2012/06/25 01:04:30
    OK in Moderation
    Brony4Life
    +2
    While I do discourage it, it's still not TERRIBLE so long as moderation and proper control are used.

Of course then again, we all know idiots are everywhere. No matter what, SOMEONE will make a complete FOOL of themselves, and this kind of thing is a prime example.

Unless you're trying to have a miscarriage, don't binge, and keep it to 3 drinks a week at tops; and not in consecutive days, nor with heavy alcoholic beverages.
  • KaTy BeAr 2012/06/25 00:56:46
    OK in Moderation
    KaTy BeAr
    +3
    Just don't guzzle it down, geez... unless you're under 21 and pregnant, in which case it's illegal to drink; not to mention pretty stupid to get pregnant so early. I'm not sorry for saying that either.
  • Just Je... KaTy BeAr 2012/06/25 06:20:34
    Just Jenn for Now
    +3
    ^ This.

It's so disappointing to see young women who are barely more than CHILDREN THEMSELVES get knocked up because they got drunk at a party or something. Shame, shame, shame.
  • flyingseaturtle BN 2012/06/25 00:55:17
    Not Worth the Risk
    flyingseaturtle BN
    +7
    There is no way of knowing how much alcohol is too much.
  • BuggaBoo 2012/06/25 00:54:38
    Not Worth the Risk
    BuggaBoo
    +2
    um, ok.. let me get this str8. drinking during pregnancy even with moderation can cause physical and mental damage to u and the unborn angel. So if yal think it's ok to harm an innocent baby, be my guest.
  • ❤Runaway❤ 2012/06/25 00:54:27
    Not Worth the Risk
    ❤Runaway❤
    +2
    If it was okay, doctors wouldn't tell you not to do it.
  • Theresa 2012/06/25 00:35:59
    Not Worth the Risk
    Theresa
    +3
    When you think of how fast a baby develops in the womb to become who he or she will be....why take a chance on messing up the chances of a cell mishap....plenty of time to do it to yourself when you are grown..
  • MlssCue =Go Blue= 2012/06/25 00:30:39
    Not Worth the Risk
    MlssCue =Go Blue=
    +8
    But if you wonder why so many from my era are not right in the head, it's because our Mom's didn't see a problem w/smoking & drinking while pregnant. (:
  • Nekosarethebest 2012/06/25 00:25:08 (edited)
    OK in Moderation
    Nekosarethebest
  • BuggaBoo Nekosar... 2012/06/25 00:56:29
    BuggaBoo
    +2
    i hope u realize that u just answered the question "do you want birth defects".
  • Nekosar... BuggaBoo 2012/06/25 01:06:26
    Nekosarethebest
    +2
    I read... I saw... I answered honestly...
  • Just Je... BuggaBoo 2012/06/25 01:08:43
    Just Jenn for Now
    +2
    ... if you can spell "you" correctly, why do you use "u" when referring to someone?? -__-

Also, the study on here even says "in MODERATION, causes ZERO birth defects".... perhaps you should read MORE before jumping to conclusions, as well as spelling as if you're writing a text message.
  • BuggaBoo Just Je... 2012/06/27 01:55:58
    BuggaBoo
    nObOdY GiVeS a DAMN aBoUt SpElLiN' AnD GrAMmA On ThE iNTeRnET hUN.
    And please my friend, riddle to me where u read that moderation is harmless..... because when my mom was pregnant and drank only ONE corona, my lil bro came out with an infection.
  • Just Je... BuggaBoo 2012/06/28 06:38:36
    Just Jenn for Now
    Can you provide some solid evidence that it was ONE CORONA that caused an INFECTION??

I seriously doubt it did. If you want proof, there is a study in the question, that is, IF YOU READ THE WHOLE ARTICLE.
  • BuggaBoo Just Je... 2012/06/29 00:29:02
    BuggaBoo
    SMH. i can't believe u support drinking while pregnant. hey, if u want innocent babies to be scarred 4 life, u go ahead.
  • KittyKat 2012/06/25 00:17:06
    Not Worth the Risk
    KittyKat
    +5
    Last thing anyone needs is another Snookie baby.
  • CAPISCE KittyKat 2012/06/25 00:35:02

2014/08/01 05:45:52