Drinking While Pregnant: OK in Moderation or Not Worth the Risk?

According to five new Danish studies, drinking occasionally while pregnant may not be such a big deal after all.

Researchers took a look at more than 1,600 Danish women and their children, and compared kids born to nondrinkers to those who had mothers who could be categorized as light drinkers (1-4 a week), moderate drinkers (5-8 a week), or heavy drinkers (9+ a week). (Keep in mind that an alcoholic drink in Denmark is defined as 0.4 ounces of pure alcohol compared to 0.6 in the U.S.)

The scientists controlled for outside factors, such as smoking and the mother’s intelligence, and found that light or moderate drinking while pregnant did not have any noticeable impact on a child’s overall IQ, attention span, or self-control. However, the children of heavy drinkers did have considerably shorter attention spans compared to their counterparts.

Despite the growing evidence that light to moderate drinking during pregnancy is harmless, many doctors still strongly discourage the practice.

Dr. Jacquelyn Betrand, representative for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and co-author of three of the studies, told HealthPop: "This study doesn't change our recommendation. We have a long history that alcohol causes birth defects. Drinking during pregnancy is just not worth the risk."

What do you think SodaHeads? Is drinking while pregnant OK in moderation or not worth the risk?

Read More: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-57456907-10...

• Just Jenn for Now 2012/06/24 21:55:34 (edited)
    OK in Moderation
    Just Jenn for Now
    +12
    Just don't drink anything heavy; vodka, tequila, or other liquor. Red wine is good for your health anyway, just stick to one glass and don't have it EVERY day.

Moderation is your friend, people.

(Keep in mind, I'm not promoting drinking while pregnant. I'm just saying it's NOT as big of a deal as long as some idiot doesn't frizock it up by binge-drinking to this news.)

• LILY 2012/06/25 19:07:27
    Not Worth the Risk
    LILY
    +2
    I want my baby healthy. You never really know what may come afterwards. Rather be safe than sorry.
  • L K 2012/06/25 18:48:50 (edited)
    Not Worth the Risk
    L K
    +2
    All I know is, that I had two very gifted sons and during my pregnancy I didn't drink coffee or alcoholic beverages, or take any medicine. I figure their brilliant minds might be part genetics, but I truly believe that taking care of your body while you are growing a child is important. My grand children are perfect too and my daughter-in-law was very careful as well. Why take a chance? Plus, I have taught elementary school for 36 years and during that time I have worked with children who were born with fetal alcohol syndrome. It is not a pretty condition. Physical features are distorted, learning challenges are severe, and so drinking and pregnancy do not mix, NOT ever!!!!
  • Kae Kam L K 2012/06/25 21:34:35
    Kae Kam
    There is a glaringly obvious difference in moderate drinking and drinking enough to cause FAS, which is always credited to drinking to excess.
  • L K Kae Kam 2012/06/26 03:36:22 (edited)
    L K
    +1
    True, BUT why even take a chance when you are pregnant? It is such a simple thing not to do. I have taught school for too long and seen too many children with learning issues or handicaps and am convinced that some women need to take responsibility for preventable issues. Smoking, coffee, alcohol, CERTAIN medicines, drugs, are ALL not healthy for the baby when you are pregnant. Heck, I wouldn't even stand near a microwave when I was carrying my kids. Why take any risks? It just isn't worth it. A mother to be's lack of control could make a huge difference in the life of the child. Obviously some defects are beyond your control. But, you can watch out for the simple things you CAN control. LIKE WHAT YOU PUT INTO YOUR BODY.
  • Kae Kam L K 2012/06/26 15:11:49
    Kae Kam
    Yes, what you ingest while pregnant is obviously important to a healthy fetus. There's simply no scientific data that says light drinking causes problems.
  • L K Kae Kam 2012/06/26 20:33:17
    L K
    +1
    My doctors always told me to stop drinking any alcohol, stop having any caffeine, and not to take any medicine at all, unless my life was in danger. But, I was pregnant in the 1970's and in the 80's and that is what they believed. It worked for me because I listened to what they said.
  • Kae Kam L K 2012/06/27 01:40:53
    Kae Kam
    I'm glad you had healthy babies. The new research says moderation is fine in almost all food/drinks situations while pregnant.
  • L K Kae Kam 2012/06/27 14:19:26 (edited)
    L K
    +1
    Well, I am sure the new research does say that. I just don't agree. I think it says that because we have a new generation of adults (including young doctors) who are hell bent on self gratification. Therefore, they tell their patients that a little of anything is fine. They also told mothers to take medicine for nausea and that caused severe birth defects. My oldest son is 39 now. They gave me medicine for my nausea and vomiting. Thank goodness I didn't take it. It was not Thalidomide, but in the same family. I just suffered and that was that. Imagine how those mothers who followed their doctor's advice felt when they gave birth to babies without limbs. Like I said before....WHY take any chances? So you suffer a little....I get severe migraines. I had terrible ones during pregnancy and took nothing because my baby was more important. This is an issue I feel passionately about. Perhaps because as a teacher I came across so many children with disabilities. I get your point. We have working women ( me included) who have to work and raise a family and therefore they take medicine and keep going. I just think we need to be a little less selfish and think more about the unborn child's health. Just my opinion.
  • Kae Kam L K 2012/06/27 16:26:05
    Kae Kam
    Did you drive/ride in a car while pregnant? Did you cross the street? Take a warm-hot bath? There are dangers to the fetus everywhere. It's all about balance.
  • L K Kae Kam 2012/06/28 12:45:23
    L K
    +1
    I actually rode a bicycle to work every day. ( I teach and the school was down the street.) BUT, I pulled a ligament in the uterus doing exercise with my students and had to wear a special device and was made to quit work in my 7th month of pregnancy because it put too much stress on the baby. So even moderate exercise isn't always good depending on conditions. I did not take too hot baths then or now, because they aren't good for anyone. Balance IS key certainly. BUT again, when you are thinking BEYOND yourself, and about another life, you do what is best for the child. THAT is what parenting is all about. It starts in the womb and continues all through life. My oldest just turned 39. If he needs me....I am there in an instant. It never stops....That is called love!
  • Kae Kam L K 2012/06/28 13:27:26
    Kae Kam
    Why is riding a bicycle okay but not having a drink?
  • L K Kae Kam 2012/06/30 13:00:43
    L K
    +1
    Because exercise is good for the health of the mother and the baby. Alcohol can cause birth defects. DUH!!!
  • Kae Kam L K 2012/06/30 15:35:47
    Kae Kam
    But you just said exercise isn't always good. So which is it? ;)
  • L K Kae Kam 2012/06/30 20:08:21 (edited)
    L K
    +1
    You cannot compare exercise with putting substances in your body. Exercise is healthy, but too much when you are pregnant could put you at risk. In any case, ingesting anything that is considered dangerous to the baby is never a good idea.
  • Kae Kam L K 2012/06/30 20:35:14
    Kae Kam
    Why?
  • L K Kae Kam 2012/07/01 14:49:52
    L K
    +1
    Seriously??????
  • Kae Kam L K 2012/07/01 16:05:15
    Kae Kam
    Yes, seriously. I've got a study right here that says fewer than 15 drinks a week didn't show signs causing FAS.

"Prenatal alcohol exposure is the cause of fetal alcohol syndrome. A study of over 400,000 American women, all of whom had consumed alcohol during pregnancy, concluded that consumption of 15 drinks or more per week was associated with a reduction in birth weight.[39] Though consumption of less than 15 drinks per week was not proven to cause FAS-related effects, the study authors recommend limiting consumption to no more than one standard drink per day.[39]"

http://alcalc.oxfordjournals....
  • L K Kae Kam 2012/07/02 00:50:45 (edited)
    L K
    +1
    Well, then you and others can take the risk. In America doctors still tell their patients NOT to drink. Read this article. I will continue to tell my nieces and daughter - in- law not to. If the not drinking has proven to be better than drinking I think it is ridiculous to take a chance. I can only speak from experience as a mother, grandmother and teacher. But, hey, do what you want. I was trying to help. Your article is old and not up to date.
    http://abcnews.go.com/Health/...
  • Kae Kam L K 2012/07/02 01:59:56
    Kae Kam
    Here's another (recent) study:

http://m.ije.oxfordjournals.o...

By the way, I'm from the US and my doc told me a few drinks per week was fine while pregnant.
  • L K Kae Kam 2012/07/02 05:16:15 (edited)
    L K
    +1
    Yes, I saw you were from the US but the first study you showed me was British. In either case if you trust your doctor then follow his orders. My grandchildren are 2 and 9 months old. My son and his wife's OBGYN said NO drinking and no caffein during the pregnancy. My daughter-in-law's sister is a nurse practitioner who treats patients and writes prescriptions like a doctor at Mt. Sinai hospital in Miami. She said the same thing. NO alcohol. Abstaining for 9 months, just in case, is worth it to make sure since the studies done on children from mother's who drank, even a little, aren't in yet. They have to watch those children grow to adulthood. They used to think cigarettes were safe too and they thought cocaine and opium were good for women with monthly cramps. I personally would rather my sons' wives are cautious. I enjoy a good glass of wine too, but gave up those guilty pleasures when pregnant. You do what you think best. I don't have to agree. I am old enough to be your mom, so consider this just motherly advice. Take it or leave it. Glad you have a healthy child. I get you are playing devil's advocate....just don't drink if you get pregnant again. Mom's orders!!
  • Sgt Major B 2012/06/25 18:38:46
    OK in Moderation
    Sgt Major B
    +2
    ALL things in moderation, not just alcohol.
  • TasselLady 2012/06/25 18:37:16
    Not Worth the Risk
    TasselLady
    +1
    I say no. Nobody should drink or smoke while pregnant. It's not worth it to me. After all, it's against the law to give alcohol to underaged kids. Well a newborn is DEFINITELY underage!!!
  • Diana 2012/06/25 18:37:06
    Not Worth the Risk
    Diana
    Knowing full well what could happen to your child, why even risk it?
  • Ben 2012/06/25 18:31:42
    OK in Moderation
    Ben
    +1
    I think it could be very dangerous to the unborn child if the mother suddenly stopped drinking (or smoking) cold turkey. Maybe it would be safer if the mother slowly weened herself off over time.
  • Racefish 2012/06/25 18:31:24
    Not Worth the Risk
    Racefish
    +1
    It's only 9 months and why take a risk? Drugsw also can affect fetal development. Talk to the doctor before using otc medications.
  • 22rexy22samo 2012/06/25 17:53:05
    Not Worth the Risk
    22rexy22samo
    +1
    why risk it. its stupid to drink while pregnant, i mean if you want to mess up ur baby okay watev.
  • Rebecca Ells 2012/06/25 17:51:04
    Not Worth the Risk
    Rebecca Ells
    +2
    u could mess up ur baby for the rest of its life . . . not worth it!
  • Silversnake 2012/06/25 17:47:32
    Not Worth the Risk
    Silversnake
    If you're going to have the child wouldn't you rather it be in a safe environment? Teratogens can cause so many problems for an unborn child
  • Black-Indian Girl 2012/06/25 17:42:58
    Not Worth the Risk
    Black-Indian Girl
    +1
    I wouldn't. Especially not during the first trimester, when the most dramatic changes and critical development are taking place. If I ever have children, I don't want teratogens causing malformation of their vital organs and systems.
  • brittneylalaa 2012/06/25 17:24:50
    Not Worth the Risk
    brittneylalaa
    +1
    I've thought about having a drink while pregnant but I just can't bring myself to do it. The feeling wouldn't be the same knowing there's a baby inside me. I'd be too worried.
  • bennett.dunn1 2012/06/25 17:21:58
    OK in Moderation
    bennett.dunn1
    But it really does have to be in moderation. And that means not very much at all.
  • mzemma 2012/06/25 17:00:51
    Not Worth the Risk
    mzemma
    +1
    if you drink or do drugs or eat crap (most foods are crap these days...so must go organic) and think more about yourself then your baby... then you are an idiot and not even mature enough to be pregnant and take on the responsibilities that come along with mothering a child... Pregnancies should be planned... including making sure YOU HAVE A DECENT JOB and HOME and know not to depend on any one else to help raise or support that child... because the only person in this world that you can really depend is YOURSELF.. and the sooner you realize that... the sooner you are mature enough to take on that responsible of raising a kid... who is going to manipulate the hell out of you...so use loving but stern guidelines from the get go... so they don't walk all over you... teach that kid that materials things do not really mean anything.. but nature and loving is best...and being charitable. Make that kid do chores for the money so they know how hard it is to make money.. might as well learn at an early age that life is not so rosy...
  • MOMMA THOMAS 2012/06/25 16:58:56
    Not Worth the Risk
    MOMMA THOMAS
    +2
    9 MONTHS TO NOT RISK THE BABY'S HEALTH IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN ANY DRINK!
  • ehrhornp 2012/06/25 16:53:45
    OK in Moderation
    ehrhornp
    +2
    Key word here is moderation. Less than a drink a day. Problem is when more than 1 is consumed per day.
  • glass_butterfly ~YSU~ 2012/06/25 16:53:06
    Not Worth the Risk
    glass_butterfly ~YSU~
    +1
    If you don't have the self-control to stop drinking for 9 months for the health of you're child, chances are you don't have the self-control to do it in "moderation"....

Why risk it?!
  • Kae Kam glass_b... 2012/06/25 21:37:52
    Kae Kam
    Because drinking in true moderation is widely accepted in many, many other countries while pregnant. The US has such a puritanical stance on alcohol.
  • BoardinOK 2012/06/25 16:38:55
    OK in Moderation
    BoardinOK
    +2
    When I say moderation, I don't mean "two drink minimum" of Gin & Tonic... lmao. Moderation as in a an occasional glass of red wine.
  • Roger 2012/06/25 16:31:39
    Not Worth the Risk
    Roger
    Yeah it is okay in moderation by why even risk it?
  • Taxman 2012/06/25 16:29:10
    Not Worth the Risk
    Taxman
    Why even publish this study? At least this will help ease the concerns of women who drank a little before they knew they were pregnant.
  • Farbiger 2012/06/25 16:23:12
    Not Worth the Risk
    Farbiger
    'Cause it'll be that one time you had a little Merlot and some odd months later your baby's born and it has physical or mental issues. Don't be all "YOLO" and try this.

2014/12/21 23:59:20