Does Your Race Define Who You Are?

Zimt29 2010/02/13 00:47:21
Yes. My race does define me.
No. My race does not define me.
This is what I think.
After engaging in an enlightening conversation about race with a co-worker the other day, I feel compelled to ask this question of everyone here on SodaHead.

• nfernoluv 2010/02/16 05:48:37
    Yes. My race does define me.
    nfernoluv
    +6
    ok i am going to take this in a slightly different direction...

race DOES play a part in who we are...unfortunately most people are TOO myopic in regard to what that may mean...and only focus on color of skin...and RACE goes so much further than that...

EVERY element of my BEING defines ME...my race is just as important as my gender in regards to everything from which side of the brain is dominant to what are the mineral percentages in the body from one race to another (guiding eating patterns/blood types ect)...ex...red headed irishmen...red hair comes from a larger amount of copper in the body...

unfortunately in these times RACE is a hot button when in reality if we UNDERSTOOD our own race and our place in it would grant us more harmony in the grand scheme of things...

REMEMBER to know anyTHING...one must 1st KNOW ones SELF...

so...here is my RED cape...i am ready for ALL bullheaded travelers...OLE'

LOL

• DetraEdwards 2010/06/10 01:37:58
    No. My race does not define me.
    DetraEdwards
    +4
    i personally believe that we as people all identify more than we define ourselves by our races. when you identify something i.e race you are simply acknowledging a fact of yourself that can't be denied. when you define yourself as something you then choose to define yourself by it for whatever reason. in conclusion i identify myself as black but it doesn't define me. as i am more than just something you can see with your eyes. i have dreams. i have emotions. i have fears. i have hope. i have more to offer than just something as simple as my skin color. just think of race as if it were your hair in the morning. you may say hey my hair is beautiful. but you don't go around holding up your hair like it is the holy grail. that's called being shallow
  • Zimt29 DetraEd... 2010/06/10 12:17:20
    Zimt29
    I like your statement, "I identify as being black but it doesn't define me." I also like how you say it's a part of you, just like your hair is a part of you. Excellent post.
  • Trisha Corbett 2010/02/19 20:51:56
    No. My race does not define me.
    Trisha Corbett
    +1
    No. Your race does not define you. In 100 years or so we are all gonna be the same color.
  • Redneck 2010/02/18 04:24:37
    This is what I think.
    Redneck
    Although, my race does influence my life, it doesn't define me at all. I'm mixed breed, but identify as honky.
  • Zimt29 Redneck 2010/02/18 21:09:32
    Zimt29
    :)
  • Foxxxy@1x 2010/02/18 02:05:11
    This is what I think.
    Foxxxy@1x
    +1
    It's sad that it's 2010 and someones race still matters SO much!
    Race should just help to describe what someone looks like.
    I don't like to think race defines me or anyone, but on a daily basis, I'm in the minority, (figuratively and literally.)
  • sean 2010/02/18 01:24:36
    This is what I think.
    sean
    +1
    I don't know. To me, My race simply defines what I look like in general.
  • BrokenDevilDog 2010/02/17 20:02:57
    No. My race does not define me.
    BrokenDevilDog
    +1
    Not only does my race not define me, but celebrating my race and culture (or any for that matter) only tends to separate us further. We should celebrate our sameness not our differences.
  • Red high priestess in Nyx I... 2010/02/17 18:56:27
    This is what I think.
    Red high priestess in Nyx I trust
    +1
    Yes race does define who we are, but only when someone is having to defend themselves from another person with another race, but other than that, than no race doesn't define who we are!
  • Michele 2010/02/17 18:38:07
    Yes. My race does define me.
    Michele
    Of course your race defines you. Everyone is made differently and have a different outlook on life. So yes race does define you.
    No. My race does not define me.
    Why should my race or combination of races define who I am. I believe that their race defines who they are are true RACISTS>
  • petean05 2010/02/17 18:00:03
    Yes. My race does define me.
    petean05
    +1
    It is not the only thing that defines me, but it is a part of who I am and where I come from.
  • TheNightFly 2010/02/17 17:05:44
    Yes. My race does define me.
    TheNightFly
    +2
    ...especially for people who hate me because of my race.
  • Franklin 2010/02/17 15:16:26
    This is what I think.
    Franklin
    +3
    Glad to see the hundreds of billions spent teaching “diversity” as resulted in a society more divided than it was 50 years ago...No one (who is successful) defines themselves by “race” , that is the mark of a true loser as it leads not to accomplishments and personal growth but only to the ability to blame others for your own failings.
    MLK would be sad to see everything he worked for ignored and shattered by this generation ...diversity = separatism and leads us ever farther away from equality.
  • dick Franklin 2010/02/17 17:21:59
    dick
    Great reply Franklin!
  • Zimt29 Franklin 2010/02/17 21:21:27
    Zimt29
    I'm speechless. Excellent post! I hope it is read by many.
  • X-Texan 2010/02/17 12:30:01 (edited)
    This is what I think.
    X-Texan
    +2
    To some extent, yes. My race i.e. white/caucasian is, perhaps, an engangered species as we (some of us, anyway) continue to bear all of the responsibility for the social and fiscal failures of other races who believe us to be inherently evil and a bit greedy.

Personally, I think that mindset is "hogwash" and far too many white folks simply walk around with a guilty conscience - for reasons unknown to me.
  • Franklin X-Texan 2010/02/17 15:18:37
    Franklin
    +1
    Really , you don't know why Islam gets away with crimes and we in general feel guilty for it all ??? I really do have to start writing about Muslims control of the MEDIA for the past 100 years...
  • X-Texan Franklin 2010/02/19 11:43:24
    X-Texan
    Franklin,

I looked at your profile and read a few exceprts from a BLOG you wrote. I think we're 90% "on the same page." However, I'm not sure I understand your reply regarding Muslims controlling the media for a hundred years. I really would like to hear what you have to say about that as I'm confused.

I do particularly like muslims, but I can't i,agine them in control of much of the media. Arabs, in general, have only been a "force" since oil dependency became an issue and mass media has only been around for about 50 years (excluding very old radio broadcasts.) Note too, that the muslim theocracies in the middle-east have really only been nasty (even existed) since about the time the Shah of Iran was deposed.

Am anxious to hear your comments.
  • Catnip 2010/02/17 07:18:29
    This is what I think.
    Catnip
    +3
    I'm a member of one race, and ONLY one race!

The HUMAN race!

http://www.ck-blog.com/.a/6a0... member race race human race httpwww ck-blog a6a0
  • Zimt29 Catnip 2010/02/17 21:24:22
    Zimt29
    What beautiful babies!
  • FALLoutBOYmetal GODZ 2010/02/17 03:25:56 (edited)
    No. My race does not define me.
    FALLoutBOYmetal GODZ
    I DEFINE MY RACE! The WHITE DEVIL tried to oppress us by inventing vocabularies of RACIAL HUMILIATION! Well guess what WHITE RACISTS? I don't accept your PREJUDICE-FILLED LABELS and I THROW THEM BACK AT YOU! HA HA HA

DO YOU FEEL ME?
  • dick FALLout... 2010/02/17 17:19:58 (edited)
    dick
    What in the hell are you talking about? There are bad people in every race! You have evolved into what you Hate! You are a biggot!
  • Redneck dick 2010/02/18 04:28:37
    Redneck
    He's white.
  • Kaimeso 2010/02/17 03:18:17
    No. My race does not define me.
    Kaimeso
    +2
    No, I am simply a sum of all my parts, and more. Perhaps if humans are lucky then one day in the future we will have all mixed until the only race is some shade of brown,.... No more fighting about race, wouldn't that be wonderful?

But then there is religion, damned,... will probably always be fighting about that stupid shit,....
  • Relay 2010/02/17 02:45:17
    No. My race does not define me.
    Relay
    +2
    i think race is a part of who you are but i dont think your race should define who you are.
    im scottish/ canadian
  • Hales 2010/02/17 01:54:52 (edited)
    No. My race does not define me.
    Hales
    +2
    I'm half Japanese and I look like it (because when people look at me and my brother, we look nothing alike because he looks white than half-Japanese), and it feels like sometimes when I sometimes draw anime (I don't watch any or read a lot of manga), people know that I'm Japanese because of it and think that I know a lot about Japan or whatever. But Asian or half, I'm still like anyone else, even if they're African American or Hispanic or whatever.
  • GOD 2010/02/17 00:30:33
    No. My race does not define me.
    GOD
    +2
    hell no homey
  • Kathy 2010/02/16 23:24:10
    Yes. My race does define me.
    Kathy
    +1
    To an extent
    It sure defines my stubbornness and my temper.
    Also to be my own person. I refuse to follow any.
  • Kathy Kathy 2010/02/16 23:24:51
    Kathy
    +1
    Forgot this part
    Irish/French
  • Kathy Kathy 2010/02/18 02:35:57
    Kathy
    I'm sad to see so many defining race as a type of hate:(
    When I read the question I thought about heritage.
    Thank you for this question, I see I read things with more innocence than many others do.
    I'm so sick of hate.
    So where do all the stupid blonde jokes come from?
    Haters:)
  • Royal Warrior 2010/02/16 23:11:37
    No. My race does not define me.
    Royal Warrior
    +4
    I'd have a really hard time if that were so. My family tended to figure that what is written in the Bible is true..."God hath made of one blood, all the nations of the world." So we have so many different races, that using that to define self would be crazy. I tend to try to let Jesus Christ define me.
  • thefatguy 2010/02/16 22:52:04
    No. My race does not define me.
    thefatguy
    +3
    Anyone who is defined by their race is a fool.
  • JackoClubs 2010/02/16 22:47:04
    This is what I think.
    JackoClubs
    +3
    Only if you let it.
  • FUTURE BREEZE 2010/02/16 22:05:07
    This is what I think.
    FUTURE BREEZE
    +3
    ... is a member of the HUMAN RACE...
  • ivan 2010/02/16 21:24:58
    No. My race does not define me.
    ivan
    +3
    My actions and compassion for fellow humans, and our 4 legged friends is what difine me
  • MILLERTIME 2010/02/16 21:09:37
    No. My race does not define me.
    MILLERTIME
    +2
    I HOPE NOT.
  • P-Funk 2010/02/16 20:31:25
    Yes. My race does define me.
    P-Funk
    +4
    ... but not ENTIRELY. I am multi-racial, with bits of Asian, African, and European. I take pride in EACH of the racial elements I'm composed of, but that is not the ONLY source of my self-worth. To the extent that I am defined by genetics, race is clearly one component of my genetics. But the definition of ME is not limited to race, because race only helps define my physical characteristics. My intellectual, emotional, and spiritual characteristics are defined entirely by MY choices and MY will.

I am occasionally "defined" entirely by my race by other people. They look at my racial characteristics and immediately put me in one of their "boxes" ("Black", "High Yella", "Mixed Breed", or whatever). It's fun to destroy their illusions by being nothing like what they imagine me to be. But I don't let other people's prejudices define me. In reality, it defines THEM.
  • babydracula 2010/02/16 20:28:36
    This is what I think.
    babydracula
    +2
    Theres only one human race, dogs have diferrent races, n no my actions define who I am.
  • Max7 2010/02/16 18:52:38
    This is what I think.
    Max7
    +3
    I really don't appreciate being defined by my race, when this is done I consider this an act of racism. I love being defined as a Christian, I value my new birth, it supercedes that of my first birth. Also, I am often defined by my character which is implemented by godly direction. In my natural birth, I was born a Negro, in my supernatural birth, I was born as a child of God; I am proud of both heritages. Proud of my family of five (5) generations, and a family that consist of many races, we are not defined by "race," but simply defined as "family." I am blessed because of who I am in Jesus Christ my Lord and Savior. There's scripture that tells us that we are to imitate Christ, to mock his ways, and one of his greatest characteristics is that he found no favoritism in his children or people. America is now in a sad state of affairs because of people being unfairly treated based on their race, not just Black people, but people of other cultures and nationalities have suffered because of their race. Perhaps in 2010, we all will find more love in our fellow man in spite of culture, heirtage or creed and come to understand that the only difference in people is skin deep, when cut we all bleed in the same manner, and we all are sustained by the blood of Jesus, not by RACE!

2014/04/16 14:11:24