Does the internet bring more harm than good?

ANGEL 2012/04/30 16:36:05
Over the past fifteen years, millions of different websites have been set up,
giving people the chance to shop, do business, play, learn and
communicate online. Over the same period it has become much easier,
cheaper and faster to get online in order to do these things.

The advent of the internet has vastly changed the way in which
people search and access information. News travels more quickly than
ever, and current affairs can be discussed all over the world
instantaneously via forums, blogs, and social networks. Many
people also maintain social links on sites such as Facebook, Skype, etc. Research in the UK has shown that the average adult spends around 22 hours 15
minutes online each month.
Some believe the Internet is dominating the lives of its users and it is unhealthy, whereas other have
cheered the increased possibilities for research, meeting new people and
keeping in contact with one another.

I have used the internet to broaden my horizons - my understanding of
different points of view - of the libertarians, democrats, republicans
on certain issues, and in learning the basic premise of different
religious beliefs for example -- how might the beliefs of Christianity, Buddhism, and Judaism, for example, coincide with the beliefs of Scientology?

Of course anything can be overused, misused, and abused - but it is my opinion that the internet has greatly benefited our lives.

Do you think the internet is an active force for good in
society or not? Does it bring more harm than good?

• klkl 2013/01/10 10:17:42
    klkl
    +8
    navis gay
  • klkl 2013/01/10 10:17:14
    klkl
    poo
  • Elizabeth 2012/05/08 11:55:47
    Elizabeth
    It's both equal.
  • Radical Ed 2012/05/02 06:50:32
    Radical Ed
    its, in my opinion, the greatest force for free thinking and speech since the formation of a democratic nation.
  • wtxwoman 2012/05/02 03:30:15
    wtxwoman
    No, never!
  • justnotsaying (: 2012/05/01 17:23:06
    justnotsaying (:
    +1
    It does both harm and good.
  • Metaldane 2012/04/30 21:50:36
    Metaldane
    The Internet has achieved in it's short time of existence what nothing else ever got close to doing it's taken people from all around the world from different cultures, beliefs, and backgrounds and brought them together as equals in a virtual setting.
  • Hula girl - Friends not Fol... 2012/04/30 19:25:14
    Hula girl - Friends not Followers
    Without the Internet we would never have know about the traitor in office trying to destroy this country especially with a complicit press.

Without the Internet we would never know all that's really going on around the world.

Without the Internet we would never be warned of all the regulations the government is shoving down our throats.

There is so much more good with the Internet not only in information but also in buying product that's hard to find.
  • KarenInKenoshaWisconsin 2012/04/30 18:58:51
    KarenInKenoshaWisconsin
    More good than harm. It'll have amazing impact kind of like the invention of the printing press in that it allows amazing access to reading, networking and video materials.

I watch instructional videos online. I may even go to college online.

I've also gotten back in touch with people online. I met my husband online! The Net has really opened up my world and my world view.
  • Dave0626 2012/04/30 17:07:27
    Dave0626
    +1
    Very much so a good force in society. It is one the last mass media forms of free speech. Which is something of an endangered species in today's world.
    But in time the New World Order will be making changes to that. ...unfortunately.
  • Jack's Pearl 2012/04/30 16:40:02
    Jack's Pearl
    +2
    I think it's fantastic! With that comes responsibility too. Many of us are learning as we go. I definitely think the world overall is better with it. The ability to reconnect with old friends and to find information is priceless. Everything must be used with balance at the same time. This is what we will have to learn to do.

It will be interesting to watch how things change as far as internet usage goes over the years. What laws are made. What issues arise. But it's all worth it to me.
  • Mr Wayne 2012/04/30 16:38:46
    Mr Wayne
    Yep.
  • darlene 2012/04/30 16:37:59
    darlene
    It's very possible that it does especially where teens are concerned.

2014/10/01 06:11:01