Does not believing in the Christian god make you an atheist?

MDMA 2012/05/04 15:03:11
Related Topics: God, Christian, Muslim, Hindu
Some people are Buddhists, Muslim, Hindus, they believe in something, just not the Christian god..

• Sean Mathews 2012/06/01 17:21:35
    Sean Mathews
    "Theist": one who believes that gods or supernatural entities exist.
    "Atheist": one who lacks such beliefs that gods or supernatural entities exist.
  • John Galt jr or Ron/jon 2012/05/13 00:38:07
    John Galt jr or Ron/jon
    I am by my definition agnostic. Christians tend to claim their God, while not acknowleging, that some else may just call the same god by a different name, thousands of languages hundreds of names it's all the same...

I sometimes refer to a entity which I describe as my understanding of god. Some people want to know just what it is that I claim to understand about the supreme being. I believe that god is the collections of all the thoughts ever thought and all the knowledge known to exist. This includes not only the thoughts of man but the thoughts of every animal plant and tree.. Kind of like a big hard drive in the sky, but in reality more like the internet. Using this comparison "god" would not judge good and evil (which is completely subjective depending on the view of the participants) It would encompass both sides of every argument. Each person (or animal) has his own personal connection or modem with this entity, some have stronger connections some have faster ones. This system like the internet gives different messages to different people depending on their personal points of view. Efficient no, but neither is the internet, but both are valuable tools when we seek more knowledge. How one reaches god is through simple meditation, ask and you shall receive. now I know th...

I sometimes refer to a entity which I describe as my understanding of god. Some people want to know just what it is that I claim to understand about the supreme being. I believe that god is the collections of all the thoughts ever thought and all the knowledge known to exist. This includes not only the thoughts of man but the thoughts of every animal plant and tree.. Kind of like a big hard drive in the sky, but in reality more like the internet. Using this comparison "god" would not judge good and evil (which is completely subjective depending on the view of the participants) It would encompass both sides of every argument. Each person (or animal) has his own personal connection or modem with this entity, some have stronger connections some have faster ones. This system like the internet gives different messages to different people depending on their personal points of view. Efficient no, but neither is the internet, but both are valuable tools when we seek more knowledge. How one reaches god is through simple meditation, ask and you shall receive. now I know that the moral minority is crying heretic heretic right now but hey you asked all I can do is answer.

What about death you ask? Well I may have died before, but I don't consider myself an expert. It does seem to me that some form of your essence hangs around either independently or as part of the above mentioned "god". But my personal pet theory is that what ever you believe is going to happen to you at the moment of death is what will happen to you ! If you think you will just cease to exist, you will cease to exist. If you expect or want to be a ghost then you'll do it. If you think you'll come back as a frog, so be it. If you think you'll go to heaven or hell your vision of that heaven or hell will dictate how you spend eternity, in the end you will be your own judge and get what you think you deserve.
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾ 2012/05/10 19:15:34
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    Athiesm means you believe in no God

Buddhists believe in the teachings of Buddha he was a Man Buddhists Do not believe in a Creator God per say they do however believe in Reincarnation and Devas
    Devas are Guardians or God Goddess figures who watch over mankind and guide us in the right direction never directly interfere with human events

Hindus believe in many Gods and Goddess and reincarnation
    Pagans.wiccans believe in Mulitiple Gods and Goddess and also Reincarnation

The Abraham Religion
    which is Judaism Islam and Christianity believe in a Monotheistic God a single god
    and they also believe in Angels and Guides and Saints some saints are angels in human form others are just human

there are other religions that believe in multiple Gods Goddess
    and some that believe in singular a singular God
  • ☽✪☾Goddess~Worshiper☥ 2012/05/08 18:09:11
    ☽✪☾Goddess~Worshiper☥
    No it does not make you Atheist. Atheism is not believing in ANY deity.
  • Radical Ed 2012/05/06 17:11:39
    Radical Ed
    +1
    atheism means "without god", pretty simple train of thought from there really :).
  • RogerCoppock 2012/05/05 02:47:49
    RogerCoppock
    +1
    No not believing in the Abrahamic "God/Jehovah/Allah" does not make you an Atheist. There are hundreds of other gods to choose. One could disbelieve "God/Jehovah/Allah" and believe in the "God of the Turnip Harvest," which would not make you an Atheist.
  • Elephant Lord 2012/05/05 01:14:11
    Elephant Lord
    Technically, an atheist doesn't have any religion, so no. But according to the Christian Church, atheism is the act of denying God. Because Jews, Christians, and Muslims all worship the same god, none of them are atheists. But Buddhists and Hindus, according to Christian standards, might be atheists.
  • bricklyn Elephan... 2012/05/05 17:58:03
    bricklyn
    +2
    The christian church does not have the authority to create the definitions of words for the entire planet.
  • Elephan... bricklyn 2012/05/06 02:19:10
    Elephant Lord
    I know.
  • Radical Ed bricklyn 2012/05/06 17:08:50
    Radical Ed
    They try pretty hard though, even got an american court to state atheism is a religion. Apparently, the united states justice system has never used an english dictionary before.

www.gather.com/viewArticle.ac...
  • sophs Radical Ed 2012/05/14 21:51:46
    sophs
    Some christians trying to state that atheism is a religion, doesn't then make every religion that isn't christian "athiest".
  • sophs bricklyn 2012/05/14 21:50:59
    sophs
    Yes... and it doesn't. Just because the elephant lord says that according to the "Christian Church atheism is..." doesn't mean it's true.
    Who exactly is the "Christian Church"?
  • zeldamaster17~平和 2012/05/05 00:19:13
    zeldamaster17~平和
    No, of course not. Atheist=no belief. I personally am an agnostic, though am completely opposed to the christian faith. (was raised christian, read the bible, now I'm no longer a christian) But yeah, some people are Shinto and whatever. FYI, the Islamic and the Judaic gods are the same as the Christian god, or Yahweh. But yeah, if you believe in something else you aren't an atheist.
  • David K 2012/05/04 22:23:00
    David K
    No. According to the Bible it makes you an unbeliever. "Unbeliever" meaning you don't believe in Jesus Christ. I personally don't believe there is any such thing as an atheist. While one might claim they don't believe in "a" god, they still have one...they are there own god. Not trying to get into a dictionary thing, but we all follow what we believe.
  • zeldama... David K 2012/05/05 00:17:06
    zeldamaster17~平和
    +3
    Um...I'm not a god. Sorry. I rule myself, but that doesn't make me a god. Thanks for thinking of me that way, though. So god is submissive...to himself? What?
  • David K zeldama... 2012/05/05 02:02:54
    David K
    the term "god" is pretty generic. I'm not saying anyone thinks of themselves as god. I'm just saying we all follow something, even if it's our own self.
  • zeldama... David K 2012/05/05 05:00:46
    zeldamaster17~平和
    +1
    The term god means a deity :P it's not generic at all. of course I follow myself. Who else would I follow? I especially wouldn't follow the christian god.
  • bricklyn David K 2012/05/05 18:03:07
    bricklyn
    Atheists do not worship themselves. That is a story chistians have created to satisfy their own egotisticly attitude.

You are yet another egotistical christian who still are incapable of thinking outside of your narrow mindset and simply cannot see that other people have explored reality much farther than you are willing to question.
  • David K bricklyn 2012/05/06 05:02:28
    David K
    +1
    i didn't say you worship yourself. i said everyone follows something. how in any way does that make me egotistical? so, you just wonder around amiss with no idea or clue as to why? dude, i was giving you credit. i was trying to point out that even though you may be atheist, it is still a faith. do you not have faith in yourself? come on man. you are looking to be attacked. i try to say were as people are more alike than we think and that makes me egotistical? serious? you have a pre-conceived notion of me because of my faith and it had made you incapable of comprehending anything i've tried to say. i'm narrow minded? you explore reality in greater depth than me, yet i give you credit as having some form of faith even if it's not my own. you in turn, call me an egotistical christian with a narrow mind that hasn't explored reality. another typical atheist. i could agree with you people and you'd still throw the same, worn out rant back at my face. damn dude. are you serious?
  • David K bricklyn 2012/05/06 13:24:21
    David K
    i was not born a christian, nor have i always been one. but with much searching i have found truth. i have explored reality much further than you can even begin to understand. by age 10 i was contemplating suicide and wrestling with thoughts i would later read in the writings of plato and aristotle. i have considered truth quite thoroughly and found both reason and truth in Jesus Christ. but i'm just a dumb ass brain washed christian right? did i insult you? damn. i enjoy talking with a lot of atheists but it is clear you are one of the narrow minded ones. 99% of the world believes in a god of some sort and in your opinion, the 1% has the open mind? how does that math work out? or is it just christianity you hate because it could actually be true?
  • sophs bricklyn 2012/05/14 21:53:53
    sophs
    You are yet another egotistical christian who still are incapable of thinking outside of your narrow mindset and simply cannot see that other people have explored reality much farther than you are willing to question

This is a rather HUGE assumption that all atheists are more thoughtful and pondered the depths more than any christian. This seems rather arrogant.
  • Giantfighter 2012/05/04 22:07:21
    Giantfighter
    No. I know that the meaning of an Atheist is an infidel, a skeptic & refers to persons not inclined toward religious beliefs or a particular form of religious belief. An atheist is one who denies the existence of a deity or of divine beings. I know an agnostic is one who believes it impossible to know anything about God or about the creation of the universe & refrains from commitment to any religious doctrine. Infidel means an unbeliever, especially a nonbeliever in Islam or Christianity. A skeptic doubts & is critical of all accepted doctrines & creeds. However, just because one doesn't believe in something doesn't mean it does not exist.
  • MDMA Giantfi... 2012/05/05 00:33:11
  • Giantfi... MDMA 2012/05/05 02:55:03
    Giantfighter
    Infidel (literally "one without faith") is a pejorative name used in certain religions - especially Christianity or Islam - for one who has no religious beliefs, or who doubts or rejects the central tenets of the particular religion.
  • Simeon~thegayliberal 2012/05/04 20:18:39
    Simeon~thegayliberal
    No, but according to a lot of Christians, it does. It also makes you worthy of burning in hell for all eternity and even being killed.
  • MDMA Simeon~... 2012/05/04 21:00:26
  • bricklyn MDMA 2012/05/05 18:05:27
    bricklyn
    Not scary at all to those of us who are convinced that your god is an a fictional character.
  • Kibbles Simeon~... 2012/05/04 21:28:38
    Kibbles
    I do hate that part of the christian faith, you have a loving god yet he burns you for not believing in him.
  • Clay Slayer 2012/05/04 17:33:06
    Clay Slayer
    +2
    The difference between an Atheist and a Theist is that an Atheist doesnt need some invisible friend to tell the right from wrong, and to believe in some future reward for worshiping a Diety..
  • METALheadMom 2012/05/04 17:26:28
    METALheadMom
    NO. Do yourself a favor, and use your dictionary more often.
  • MDMA METALhe... 2012/05/04 17:38:43
  • Yosyp 2012/05/04 17:20:36
    Yosyp
    no
  • Melizmatic 2012/05/04 17:14:21
    Melizmatic
    No.
  • mjkowal 2012/05/04 17:09:09
    mjkowal
    No. An athiest does not believe in any God.
  • Lunacat 2012/05/04 16:42:39
    Lunacat
    +1
    No, not if you believe in one of the many other gods.
  • 001 2012/05/04 15:42:42
    001
    +2
    Atheism means not believing in ANY divine beings. So not believing in the Christian god (aka God) doesn't automatically make you an atheist, no. It works the other way around though; if you're an atheist you don't believe in God.
  • Blackberry 2012/05/04 15:35:37
    Blackberry
    Read a dictionary.
  • MDMA Blackberry 2012/05/04 15:53:29
  • Melizmatic MDMA 2012/05/04 17:14:38

2014/11/23 03:43:21