Does Marriage Get Boring After 10 Years?

Related Topics: Marriage, Date
Is your seven-year anniversary coming up? Have no fear. You have almost four more years before things start to get really, really dull.

A new survey of 3,000 married people shows that couples begin to become bored with each other after 10 years and 11 months, The Daily Mail reports.

Why do things fizzle out at this point? Here are a few reasons, according to the survey:

--The romance has died and partners have become tired of the daily routine

-- A quarter of those questioned said they no longer bother going out together or making romantic gestures

--A fifth of couples said they no longer get excited at the thought of making love

--12 percent could not remember the last time their partner paid them any sort of compliment.

--Six in 10 often feel they need to be reminded why they married their partner in the first place

We're going to play devil's advocate here and say all of this has very little to do with being married for 10 years. We know plenty of couples who aren't even married yet who complain about these issues. We also know plenty of couples who have been happily together for more than 10 years.

Bottom line: It takes a little bit of effort to keep the spark alive. Go on dates, make time for romance and most of all, be nice to each other ... if you want to make it to your 11th anniversary.

Read More: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1323722/Se...

• jitko 2010/10/28 19:53:08
    jitko
    +7
    Their wise mother tells my kids, "Only boring people get bored." If the couple is boring and/or easily bored, then the marriage could be boring after ten MINUTES.

• Zozo 2011/01/25 20:53:17
  • Mac 2010/11/04 11:01:13
    Mac
    I've been married for 28 years and I can say that without a serious effort on both sides things can go south quickly. It is essential that you stay positive about your partner. If you concentrate on little issues they will fester into big ones. When you get mad at each other don't dwell on it look forward to the make up sex. By all means be happy with what you have. If you really can't find the beauty in your spouse maybe it's time for counseling or a hooker.
  • Scarlette 2010/11/02 14:42:23
    Scarlette
    i agree ... only boring ppl become bored!
  • Rabi Lee Can 2010/11/01 23:34:57
    Rabi Lee Can
    It'll probably be boring even after 5 years, but you have to make an effort to keep it as interesting an exciting as it was in the beginning ;)
  • bluejacket 2010/10/31 15:21:04
    bluejacket
    That's a pretty funny question coming from the leftist SodaHead news. However, it explains much about Hollywood and why everyone is trading in their "old" spouce for a new model. Kinda like buying a car.

Remember back in the day when giving your word meant something?
  • Bess 2010/10/31 13:04:12
    Bess
    i love reading your comments on this. It is when the laughter stops and you find there is no support, no empathy, or even a hi. love reading comments laughter stops support empathy Then just have your own fun and live life.
  • La 2010/10/30 19:12:02
    La
    +2
    Probably. Long lasting couples find ways to keep it interesting, or they are content with routine. If you put in the effort, your marriage will last.
  • Paul 2010/10/30 18:14:41
    Paul
    Never been married.
  • StrawberryNonsense 2010/10/30 04:13:04
    StrawberryNonsense
    +1
    I hate when people say this because it makes you not want to get married.:/
  • In vino veritas 2010/10/30 01:54:54
    In vino veritas
    +2
    It dosent have to, you can maintain excitement and monogamy ,it takes love and commitment, and sense of humor dosent maintain excitement monogamy love commitment humor dosent maintain excitement monogamy love commitment humor from both.........
  • Josie 2010/10/30 00:25:43
    Josie
    +1
    I dont know why i should marry anybody, can you explain this to me?
  • La Josie 2010/10/30 19:14:30
    La
    Symbolism?
  • AL 2010/10/30 00:22:46
    AL
    +1
    Marriage is always changing as we age! Before we get married we start dating as friends only-then to sex partners and lovers-from then it might go to a partnerships or even parenting! So of course its going to get boring at times if you only focus on just one part of your marriage! Is it just sex-or love-or parenting or somthing else instead! I always say if any Marriage is based on love it has to be based on real forgivness as well! Only because I don't think you can love with out it! Love always has to over come personal pride! The ability to say I'm sorry-is a gift that comes from God! Because he forgives if we ask him for forgivness as well!
  • Grandbrother 2010/10/29 21:28:42 (edited)
    Grandbrother
    +1
    I don't think there's an inherent answer. If I've learned anything after 12 years of marriage, it's that just like anything else, you have to make an effort to keep it interesting. It's easy to fall into boring routines, but it's also pretty damn easy to plan a nice night out. Maybe dinner and a concert, finding a hobby to do together, like hiking or dancing...whatever. The wife and I just got back from a great 3 day trip to Yosemite that was an absolute blast...
  • Lance 2010/10/29 20:41:11
    Lance
    For many I would say yes. It's not necessarily the fault of those concerned either, but the system that dictates that you should be made to pay for everything until you reach retirement: and then get so little in return.
    The moment I have a few spare quid to spend on my partner, my bank processes a direct debit a day early to rob me of it.
  • Bay 2010/10/29 18:55:23
    Bay
    well, according to the survey, it obviously does sometimes, although these people shouldnt have gotten married in the first place.
  • miss 2010/10/29 18:49:18
    miss
    Why are you getting married? Is it for finacial reasons, is it to keeo up appearences, or is it simply because you love the person and you want to spend the rest of your life with them. I choose the Ladder part.
  • danielria 2010/10/29 18:24:29
    danielria
    +1
    More like 10 days... LOL
  • Josie danielria 2010/10/30 00:24:35
    Josie
    more like 1 night LLOOLL
  • you betcha 2010/10/29 17:49:34
    you betcha
    +2
    31+ years and no boredom yet. You have to be in it for the long haul - make your mate a priority and make the effort. You also have to have enough going between you so that when the initial thrill wears off, there is something even deeper and more meaningful to be found. Despite the occasional ups and downs, it should get better with time, not worse.
  • FREED Speaks Up 2010/10/29 17:42:28
    FREED Speaks Up
    It can. And many do. It takes a conscious effort to work at keeping a marriage alive.Most don't want to bother. Most live their own lives. Many stay together for financial reasons. Most live to please themselves.

1Co 13:4 Love has patience, is kind; love is not envious, is not vain, is not puffed up;
    1Co 13:5 does not behave indecently, does not seek her own, is not easily provoked, thinks no evil.
    1Co 13:6 Love does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices in the truth,
    1Co 13:7 quietly covers all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
    1Co 13:8 Love never fails.

How many of us love like this? Like I said, it takes work.
  • judy 2010/10/29 17:09:30
    judy
    +2
    we just celebrated our 50th and none of them has been boring. You must love & like your mate, giving & taking and working at it. Boring ? never. I look forward to the next 50
  • Darnel 2010/10/29 16:26:47
    Darnel
    Only if you don't work at it,.. or there was nothing there to begin with.
  • Lily Blooms Eternal 2010/10/29 16:25:10
    Lily Blooms Eternal
    +2
    I recently passed that milestone myself in a long-term relationship, and there is comfortableness but not boredom. True I am not married to my boyfriend and don't live with him but we are like an old married couple. Seems to me you get bored if you want to be bored. If your marriage is boring, guess what, you are 50% of the marriage so you have to take half the responsibility.
  • Dave 2010/10/29 15:25:32
    Dave
    tough question.
    I have no good answer.
  • Wonder Woman 2010/10/29 15:23:30
  • Lily Bl... Wonder ... 2010/10/29 16:30:47
    Lily Blooms Eternal
    Not only has woman's liberation trained people to treat women like men but it has also trained women to treat men like dogs. It's definitely not a formula for success.
  • Wonder ... Lily Bl... 2010/10/29 17:01:36
  • Jalex 2010/10/29 15:15:54
    Jalex
    Not if you're doing it right.
  • TasselLady 2010/10/29 15:11:01
    TasselLady
    +1
    Many people expect way too much from their partners in a marriage. People who bore easily probably shouldn't be married at all. Save themselves and their potential spouse the trouble and remain single. I want no part of a marriage where my husband becomes bored with me after a week. I'll stay by myself if that's the case. Luckily for me I'm told I'm anything BUT boring!!! So I guess that's good!!!
  • Heather ~Warrior Princess~ 2010/10/29 15:02:27
    Heather ~Warrior Princess~
    +1
    Me and my husband have been together for 6 years and I am not bored, I don't think we will ever get bored. There is so much laughter and love in our family. I thank God that he gave them to me :)
  • lauren dull 2010/10/29 14:51:44
    lauren dull
    I have been married 20 years and it is far from boring, my husband and I still have fun together . Just talking, watching the TV, sex ,what ever. We do a lot of laughing in my home. My life and marriage have been far from boring.
  • Cookielane 2010/10/29 14:36:12
    Cookielane
    Not if you're in love.
  • Mlo "Captain Obvious" 2010/10/29 13:13:34
    Mlo  "Captain Obvious"
    I don't know - I'll tell ya in 2 years and 8 months
  • BK 2010/10/29 12:23:08
    BK
    +1
    I can't speak for everyone, but it's been 12 years now, and we're still doing good. Personally, I think that when you have kids makes a huge difference, because that's when you go through a period of time where you don't get enough sleep and you don't really feel like you have time for anything. It goes a long way towrds keeping your marriage strong if you've got friends/family members who are willing to take the kids off of your hands for a few hours or for the night, so you can spend time together. My wife and I are very lucky in that regard, and I'm very thankful for that.
  • Big C 2010/10/29 11:24:28
    Big C
    In my experience, no
  • Edward 2010/10/29 09:38:55
    Edward
    it most likely can if you let it happen but it doesn't have to get that way,there are a lot of things to enjoy with your partner even after ten years.
  • 2sly 2010/10/29 09:26:34
    2sly
    +1
    Been married for 32 + years. We still have fun we still have awsome sex. She's my best friend and I can count on her for anything when the chips are down. We still joke around and have a good time.
  • Wonder ... 2sly 2010/10/29 15:31:23
  • 2sly Wonder ... 2010/10/31 12:11:21
    2sly
    Lot of work but well worth it. People give up to easy now a days. And we have definately had our ups and downs.

2014/12/20 10:31:07