Does drinking a beer or mixed drink 4-5 nights out of the week, make you an alcoholic?

Pheno 2008/08/06 18:50:42
Here's an example: You have a beer or two with dinner 4-5 times a week. Nothing heavy and you certainly don't get drunk. Does that make you an alcoholic?

• This Much 2008/08/06 18:57:47
    This Much
    +3
    not yet - but if you do it for years - soon you wont be able to skip the days and drink every day - these things take time

• Tazzy 2008/10/20 16:41:45
    Tazzy
    If it affects your loved ones it is a problem
  • Sammy the Hatchet 2008/09/23 04:57:50
    Sammy the Hatchet
    +1
    No just a drunk and drinks don't have to go to all those darn meetings.
  • ChickyCarla 2008/09/23 04:31:33
    ChickyCarla
    +2
    I don't think so
  • LeAnn 2008/08/27 00:50:16
    LeAnn
    +1
    its healthy to drink a beer or mixed drink a day, it speeds up your motabolism and it should be part of your diet
  • coffee man 2008/08/06 20:30:52
    coffee man
    +1
    Most doctors I've asked say that A drink a day is good for you. When pressed they only said "A" drink. It's like a glass of wine a night will help with blood pressure and all that.
    I would say if it stayed at one drink or only one or two beers that would be drinking responsibly.
    However if someone is seriously wondering if they have a drinking problem then I would say they need to cut back.
  • Pheno 2008/08/06 19:47:19
    Pheno
    That's a good one with the MJ, Mr. Randy Watson. lol
  • Elizabeth 2008/08/06 19:13:27
    Elizabeth
    YES
  • Mr. Randy Watson 2008/08/06 19:09:35 (edited)
    Mr. Randy Watson
    Would smoking weed 4-5 nights out of the week, just one bong packing -- nothing heavy. Does that make you addicted to Marijuana?

smoking weed 4-5 nights week bong packing heavy addicted marijuana

(I'm not hating, this is just my chosen vice...)
  • coffee man Mr. Ran... 2008/08/06 20:47:36
    coffee man
    +1
    DOES that make you addicted to pot? I wouldn't think so. There is such a thing as being able to handle things in moderation. Does drinking a soda every day make you addicted to caffeine or sugar?
    I think if you feel like you NEED to have a drink or a toke every day (even if it was a small one) might bring up some questions. But someone who just likes to relax with a beer or a drink after work/dinner probably isn't addicted.
  • Mr. Ran... coffee man 2008/08/06 21:10:24
    Mr. Randy Watson
    +1
    Well said sir. I agree.

It's a hard line to define -- When does "liking to" relax with a beer/hit become "needing to" relax with a beer/hit
  • coffee man Mr. Ran... 2008/08/06 21:34:44
    coffee man
    I've had to ask myself that question once or twice in my life. Having jobs that gave me most of the day off (I got to work very early in the morning) and no social life led to some bad habits. Looking back I can see how easily it can get out of control before you even realize it.
    In my opinion if you have to ask if it's a problem, it's a problem. But on that note someone else could just as easily have a drink a day and never have it affect them in a negative way.
    I wonder if it's a genetic thing. One of my friends called it an "addictive personality", I'm nor really sure what that means.
  • Pheno coffee man 2008/08/06 21:40:46 (edited)
    Pheno
    +1
    Actually I'm asking because its been a topic of discussion in my family for a few years. I tend to think maybe its just a really bad habit like smoking. I smoked when I was younger. But I only smoked in the car or at work, never at home. And never had the urge to smoke at home or any other place. Finally, before my daughter was born I pretty much just stopped, cold turkey. Now I have to work on my nail biting...lol - So, could it just be a habit at dinner time to have that cold nice cold beer or glass of wine?
  • coffee man Pheno 2008/08/07 15:39:45
    coffee man
    +1
    "Cold Bear" at dinner time doesn't sound relaxing at all. That's pretty funny.
    My thought is that even if you have a drink every day of the week it's fine as long as it doesn't affect your work, your home life and your health. I mean if it doesn't affect any of those things in a negative way they what's the threat? Alcohol can very easily turn into a problem, but if you're not the kind of person that would let that happen then there's no harm in it.
  • This Much 2008/08/06 18:57:47
    This Much
    +3
  • coffee man This Much 2008/08/06 20:53:41
    coffee man
    +2
    That's my thought. When you start looking forward to it in the middle of the day or feel like you NEED to have that drink in order to relax then there might be issues. I've gone through this situation myself, where a drink a day slowly grew and grew until I got to the point where I couldn't imagine doing something without a beer. I did a little soul searching and came out the better for it, but I can see both sides of the situation. It is possible to drink responsibly, but if you're not careful it could turn into a habit.
  • This Much coffee man 2008/08/06 20:59:58
    This Much
    +1
    alcohol is addictive - true true the powers that be dont like to tell the mass society such things because they make too much money off us - but there is not doubt it is medically, physically, and socially addictive
  • SparkleyPie 2008/08/06 18:56:46
    SparkleyPie
    +2
    Maybe not just yet... but you might be well on your way.
  • Tazzy Sparkle... 2008/10/20 16:43:14
    Tazzy
    +1
    my husband drinks every friggen day. Between four and sometimes 12 beers. It's affecting our home life negatively but he refuses to see reason to stop......... Now to me thats a huge problem
  • Sparkle... Tazzy 2008/10/20 16:45:12
    SparkleyPie
    Sounds like it. I'm sorry to hear that.

2014/09/02 19:44:33