Does anyone think as I do? The photographer should have declined the assignment?

txtumlinCelebratesCyberFriends 2012/06/08 16:07:27
Cpl: Do we need to make an appt. to talk about the ceremony? Now?
Phtgrphr: Date and time of event? Now, . . . ?
Phtgrphr: We charge by the hour, let's talk. Now, . . . ?
Cpl: Can we get a flat rate? Now, . . . ?
Phtgrphr: Is there any religious considerations to make? Surely NOW, . . .
This short article is about choices - the 'couple' requested her photographic talents, the photographer seemed to have accepted the assignment and then FALLOUT??? From the information I gleaned from this story is the professional photographer fell short on professionalism and guilty of not being true to herself her values and her God.

http://www.wnd.com/2012/06/refuse-to-photograph-lesbians-get-...

Tell me SHs, how could this have been avoided? Does the photographer have any rights in this dispute?

Read More: http://www.wnd.com/2012/06/refuse-to-photograph-le...

• ☆Warthog - PWCM - JLA☆ 2013/12/28 16:59:05
    ☆Warthog - PWCM - JLA☆
    +4
    Question. Why would a gay couple want a business that does not agree with your lifestyle to cater, bake a cake or take pictures of what should be the happiest day of your life?

Another question. As a gay couple or supporter of gay rights what would you do in this scenario? A bakery has a sign up that states "Wedding Cakes for all lifestyles". But also has a sign that says "10% of all proceeds go to organizations that support traditional marriage". The bakery is more than willing to bake your cake and do so professionally, yet a portion of your money will go to supporting a cause that you do not agree with. Do you use this bakery? Or do you find a different bakery?

1. having a good solid understanding of Contract Terms ..
    -- Basics such as date, time, locale, what is included in this price, this price, this price ..
    -- names of the couple .. who will officiate .. what special situations/images to they desire?
    and of course .. the fine print clauses too ..

This is a photographer that didn't ask the questions, didn't have a good contract to start from and was not concerned about the details .. AHEAD of the event ..
    right from the get-go .. so that one can shop around for a photographer that will meet their needs ..

(now do you really want a photographer or anyone else -- to provide you a service that is ORDERED/COMPELLED to do so? Really .. just let the terms come out up front .. and don't leave anything open to interpretation or surprises .. )
  • Kozmo 2013/12/29 04:36:50
    Kozmo
    +1
    Could've picked 'undecided', the options presented seem to be logic traps.

I think the photographer should be allowed to to decline (after being notified in advance &/or inquiring, last-minute outing unfair) if viewing lesbian couples in these events are distasteful to her. Back-slaps 1st Amendment, State butt out

This would've allowed time to find a replacement,
    other contract details left to who's (still) concerned
  • TuringsChild 2013/12/28 22:10:22
    TuringsChild
    +2
    This kind of activism helps no one and can easily destroy an important day for that couple. If a service provider does not wish to provide service to ANYONE, they have that right. To FORCE the photographer via the court system is illogical, heartless, and increases the odds that the 'service' will be done in a most disagreeable manner. You CANNOT legislate talent. If I as a photographer were forced to document an event I didn't want to attend, the pics would probably come back out of focus, out of frame, poorly lit, and sabotaged in any number of other ways. And it would be completely the fault of the activist couple who refused to find a photographer who agreed with their activism. If called to court, I could simply claim I was ill.
  • holly go lightly 2013/12/28 17:49:12
    holly go lightly
    +3
    All of this could and should have been avoided.just say NO! from the beginning.Don't take any deposits and don't spend any of it because you will inevitably lose this battle if there is any money involved.
    ☆Warthog - PWCM - JLA☆
    +4

• holly g... ☆Wartho... 2013/12/28 17:52:39
    holly go lightly
    +3
    That is my question about all of this.whether it is pictures ,cake or venue ....whatever! I would never involve ANYONE! in my wedding that does not like the idea or who I am marrying.
    IMO this is still more garbage.
  • ☆Wartho... holly g... 2013/12/28 18:25:58
    ☆Warthog - PWCM - JLA☆
    +4
    Exactly, why give your money to a business that does not agree with your beliefs? There are businesses that I personally will not enter due to their stance on the 2nd Amendment. That's my right to spend my money where I want. Just as it is also the right of that business to support any cause that suits them.

These lawsuits are total BS. My opinion.
  • holly g... ☆Wartho... 2013/12/28 18:34:35
    holly go lightly
    +2
    It is my thought that "these laws" are unconstitutional as well.
  • PDenoli 2013/12/28 11:54:34
    PDenoli
    +3
    I have conflicting beliefs, here. They are personally mine and so if someone feels differently, that's fine by me... I hope you feel the same about me.

First - Understand that I am not someone who "supports gay marriage" simply because I don't support State-sanctioned "marriage" - at all. For anyone. I don't think the government should have anything to do with it. Period. I believe that it is a religious ceremony... or it is not marriage. Call it something else, but to me, "marriage" is a religious designation. I don't hate anyone and I don't care if other people want to be in a gay or lesbian relationship, I just don't view the court ceremony as a marriage ceremony. If anyone hates me for that - I can't help that.

Second - Given my first point, I don't personally believe that anyone's religious beliefs were insulted by the fact that they were asked to photograph a lesbian "wedding". I personally believe faith should have had nothing to do with this. At all. They should have felt comfortable taking the pictures, being nice, being professional, and doing the best job they possibly could. They knew this was important to them and the couple was let down in a major way.

Third - Even though *I* don't believe the photographers should have had an issue with the assignme...

Third - Even though *I* don't believe the photographers should have had an issue with the assignment, I'm sympathetic to situations where you feel like you're in a religious grey zone. I get that.

Fourth - Finally - and the most dominant sentiment... I don't think the Government has any justification for telling people who they must do business with - for any reason. There are good and bad people out there. Practitioners of trades and other workers are not slaves providing services without discretion, and they should not be treated as such.

Whether or not I believe the refusal to photograph the ceremony was justified and whether or not I believe it violated their beliefs is immaterial. They didn't want to do it. That should have been sufficient. Had they taken the job and then failed to perform after discovering the gender of the couple... I think a judgement against them would be appropriate since real damage would have been done. Since it wasn't and the couple was told at the start that they didn't want to provide their services?? Shame on the lesbians for suing and shame on the government for dictating they have no right to say no.
  • rawrimamoocow 2012/06/08 16:43:15
    rawrimamoocow
    +1
    If im paying this person to take pictures of my wedding I acspect that person to take picture of my wedding. Whether im marrying a girl or a biy. There are going to be times when a wedding is gonns go against your beliefs it comes with the job. If she had a problem she should of said no from the start and saved the couple time and stress.
  • txtumli... rawrima... 2012/06/08 17:10:34
    txtumlinCelebratesCyberFriends
    +2
    I thank you for your Vote and participation. Your last comment cemented it for me.

You posted. ". If she had a problem she should of said no from the start and saved the couple time and stress." Unquote.

So therein lies the crux of this matter. Should the photographers been fined $7K?
  • rawrima... txtumli... 2012/06/08 17:53:45
    rawrimamoocow
    +1
    She should be fined whatever the deposit was.
  • txtumlinCelebratesCyberFriends 2012/06/08 16:18:41
    txtumlinCelebratesCyberFriends
    +3
    As a wedding photographer will tell you many staged shots are with a Bible, ringed hands, an Eternity Candle where a tripod of 3, 2 which are lit become one lit in the center. Bible with rings alone shot, it's endless and limited only to the couples' imagination.

So I am at that point as the photographer, where I would ask if the ceremony is Christian, Jewish, Catholic or what so I would be professionally prepared to execute the best photos
    possible. Allowing my imagination to run with inspiring possibilities.

Once I became aware of the 'committment ceremony' is two females or two males, I would pull the most manly of the two aside and explain my CO status. I would be a 'conscientitious objector' and could not, due to the tenets of my faith, participate in these proceedings today.

Depending upon circumstances would result in the returning of any deposit. When discovery is made is crucial also.

So, SodaHeads, what would you do?

2014/07/22 21:34:22