Does a woman need to look young to be beautiful?

Chris- Demon of the PHAET 2012/02/19 20:26:42

SLIDESHOW: Extreme beauty does not depend on youth!

My favorite shot of Carmen.
8 of 8

My favorite shot of Carmen.

I like this photo because it reeks of sex. Smear her lipstick and she could be just getting out of bed. Maybe her current lover is still asleep, worn out after a night of love making?
  1. Carmen at 78.

Carmen at 78.

That is a face!

2. Haute Couture

Haute Couture

I would put her on any runway in Paris.

3. 74!

74!

Gray hair and a red dress is killer chic.

4. When the dress looks that good on who needs to sit?

When the dress looks that good on who needs to sit?

It takes years to obtain this kind of beauty.

5. 80!

80!

No blonde hair or dark lined lips.

6. Rolex ad.

Rolex ad.

The face that sells $10,000.00 is not 21.

7. Modeling hats at 80.

Modeling hats at 80.

This photo is all about face. (and it's not the face of a 18 year old.)

8. My favorite shot of Carmen.

My favorite shot of Carmen.

There is current poll about Marc Jacobs using a 14 yr. old girl as a model. Whether she is too young for modeling is for her parents to decide. I think a bigger question is why would any designer use a teenager to sell clothes to a woman? A woman in her 30's,. no matter how beautiful, does not have the frame, skin, or hair of a 14 yr. old. And why should she? This idea that to be beautiful one must be young is simply not true.
Let's accept the fact that in the world of fashion the image presented has nothing to do with reality for most women. The truth is they are using a highly stylized look to sell a image, the designer's image, of what the ideal woman should be. I would argue that even in that fantasy is not youth alone that makes a women beautiful. In fact with symmetry and bone structure youth is not even needed. To prove my point I have a slide show of Carmen Dell'Orefice who will be 81 in June. She is the oldest model currently working with well over 40 years in the business. Personally I think these photos are stunning and none of them are about youth. They are, in fact, about age. The reason they are so striking is because this woman is NOT 20. (or 30 or 40 or 50 for that matter.) I'm curious how other people feel. This is not about inner beauty folks, it's all about the veneer. What makes a woman physically beautiful and how important is youth? Send me some pics of women you think are beautiful.

2014/04/24 19:14:00