Do You Worry About Getting Hacked?

We’ve all heard stories about the importance of cybersecurity, but it’s easy to view hacking as a bad thing that happens to other people. That is, until it happens to you. According to the New York Times, most people will be hacked at some point in their lives. Jeremiah Grossman, chief technology officer at WhiteHat Secruity, told the newspaper: “At some point, you will get hacked — it’s only a matter of time. If that’s unacceptable to you, don’t put it online.”

Selecting strong passwords is one of the most important steps to protect yourself online, but as technology reporter Nicole Perlroth points out, “good password hygiene is like flossing — you know it’s important, but it takes effort. How do you possibly come up with different, hard-to-crack passwords for every single news, social network, e-commerce, banking, corporate and e-mail account and still remember them all?”

Some tips from Grossman and Paul Kocher, who runs Cryptography Research, include: do not repeat passwords; only give out your real e-mail address sparingly; use a passphrase instead of a password; do not store passwords on your computer; and ignore security questions.

What about you SodaHeads? Do you worry about getting hacked?

Read More: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/08/technology/perso...

• Wyveryx 2012/11/12 08:40:03
    Wyveryx
    +6
    Is it possible for someone to hack my network... Oh hell yeah, the real question though is it worth someone's time... NO.

What people need to be worried about isn't hacking, it's phishing... I see and hear it everyday...

"I got an email from my bank and it said to click this link..."

"I went to this website and it said that I had a virus and they could remove it for $19.95 + S.H."

It's not hard to spot these, but people continue to ignore the basics....

1. Get decent Malware/Virus protection. You don't need to spend and arm, leg, and testicle of your choosing on it. Just do your research, most are free and keep you safe.

2. Don't go to dumbass websites that you know aren't going to lead to any good. I mean, fluffybunnyhopper.com is probably not someplace you need to be. And for certain don't enter your credit card information unless you are at the very least certain that the site is encrypted and secure and you know what you are purchasing ahead of time.

3. If you get an email from your financial institution claiming that you need to give them your information and account number... Stop and think for a moment. Why would they be asking you for a number they already have?? Call em up and say "Hey, why are you sending me stupid emails?"

4. The most important rule of all....

"IF IT LOOKS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE.... IT IS DUMBASS!"

• Personpeople 2012/11/18 13:42:05
    Personpeople
    I change passwords on a regular basis, as well as run a virus scanner once a week.
  • joe keeney 2012/11/14 22:36:29
    joe keeney
    Avg 2012 9.0
  • VampFreak13 2012/11/14 18:23:59
    VampFreak13
    But my Aunt did...so I scanned my PC and changed all the important email passwords... :)
  • Jesferkicks 2012/11/14 15:53:23
    Jesferkicks
    No on hacked, yes on zombied.
  • grimlin 2012/11/14 11:35:46
    grimlin
    we should hack the gov't and find out if there are aleins on earth...........(i can't hack stuff though)
  • Emi 2012/11/14 02:40:25
    Emi
    I am not a superstar so please hackers, don't look at me.
  • Classy And I Know It... 2012/11/14 01:34:21
  • Striker 2012/11/14 01:19:32
    Striker
    I've had some joker hacking me for several months now, and it's still not over.
  • El Prez 2012/11/14 00:42:52
    El Prez
    But I do have malware and a security program.
  • Elaine Magliacane 2012/11/14 00:36:06
    Elaine Magliacane
    +1
    Use a MAC... nobody bothers trying to hack Macs... plus I'm poor as a church mouse, with bad credit... wouldn't do any good to steal my identity.
  • MlssCue... Elaine ... 2012/11/14 09:13:18
    MlssCue =Go Blue=
    +1
    MAC's are quite expensive...so you're a richer than a church mouse...
  • Kookiel... Elaine ... 2012/11/14 11:21:59 (edited)
  • lolitalovely 2012/11/13 22:57:54
    lolitalovely
    3 years of networking classes gives you a lot of ways to protect yourself. It also doesn't hurt that my Dad went to college for computer engineering. He taught me a lot about network security and without even knowing it he taught me about proxy servers. I've had viruses, but I've only been hacked once and that was my junk E-mail account.
  • countrygirl16 2012/11/13 21:59:45
    countrygirl16
    Not really b/c I don't give people my info & I believe it's safe
  • sally 2012/11/13 20:03:10
    sally
    I'm not stupid. Don't tell people your password and don't sign up for those email special deal offers.
  • LahCat 2012/11/13 19:14:06
    LahCat
    no, cuz i am actually learning how to hack people -just gonna hack my brother (`ー´)-
  • clasact 2012/11/13 17:07:42
    clasact
    it happened once already and their is not a thing you can do except spend a lot of money ,but that only slows them down.just be prepared
  • Big Battles 2012/11/13 16:58:18
    Big Battles
    +1
    seeing as though its happened to me before.
  • Flamingolady 2012/11/13 14:23:16
    Flamingolady
    +1
    It happened to me once, and I had to take my computer to That Computer Chick for a reformat, or whatever t hey do, and it cost me over $200.00. Now, I don't click on any link that someone using a friend's name might send me. I e mail them, and ask. And when I get stuff from these people, I tell them so they can change passwords and such.
  • Bacci 2012/11/13 12:53:53
    Bacci
    +1
    sometimes.
  • Avi Rosen 2012/11/13 12:30:04
    Avi Rosen
    +1
    More likely people almost need to start worrying getting hacked by me.
    Not that I'm a hacker but on that spectrum I know enough to protect myself adequately...
  • emeraldsagitta 2012/11/13 09:44:17
    emeraldsagitta
    +1
    I'm a hacker myself...soo...
  • valentine thornton loves po... 2012/11/13 05:38:37
    valentine thornton loves ponyboy
    +1
    I'm a hacker myself... so no. anonymous
  • Jeff valenti... 2012/11/13 18:30:23
    Jeff
    Luckily we have some good hackers !
  • LahCat valenti... 2012/11/13 19:15:57
    LahCat
    +1
    kewl (`ー´), me trying to learn sum ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ
  • Kookiel... valenti... 2012/11/14 11:23:19 (edited)
  • kay29 2012/11/13 05:19:59
    kay29
    Nah, the laptop I have is quite difficult to hack, being a macbook and all. Its not impossible, but still reassuring.
  • Jeff 2012/11/13 03:59:53 (edited)
    Jeff
    Meant to say no. I don't worry about it, but I use firewall, spywares, some encription, and pay close attention to any site that attempts to monitor my computer, which happens quite often.
  • 23ElCaliente 2012/11/13 03:09:48
    23ElCaliente
    +1
    Most people don't even know how easily they can get hacked and how much hurm it can cause them! Stay Alert People! :D
  • User Deactivated 2012/11/13 02:55:34
    User Deactivated
    +1
    I'm stacked, firewalled at each layer, and separately encrypted. I also have dedicated computers, two for business that are always cloaked, and two for this kind of stuff.

I also only use throwaway debit/credit cards online, none that are tied to any other accounts. Even then though, everyone is vulnerable to malicious attacks. I got an email from a contact on my email provider, that was actually related to a previous email I got. Well, I clicked the link in the email, and .....nothing happened.

A few days later, I found out my email account had been sending these little spam bots to everyone in my contacts list. Had to delete my entire contacts list, change my password, wait a week, then was able to add my contacts back.

Luckily for me, the spam was directing my friends to a discount Canadian pharmacy, but the unfortunate ones who clicked on it got the same bug.
  • selena costa 2012/11/13 00:32:40
    selena costa
    Not really. I dont have very important information anyway, but I don't worry about it.
  • Ɛ>NinjaGirl<3 2012/11/13 00:04:39
    Ɛ>NinjaGirl<3
    My family takes several security precautions on the internet... plus my dad is a hacker, but doesnt hack ppl, he just knows how to. So he knows what's up
  • Tori 2012/11/12 23:36:01
    Tori
    +1
    the internet is terrible in my country so I don't have to worry I'm hardly on ^^
  • Jezebel 2012/11/12 22:25:53
    Jezebel
    +1
    It's happened to me before and I'd rather not re-live that.
  • addie 2012/11/12 21:50:26
    addie
    I do not worry really, but I expect it. As long as I use Google I figure it will keep happening occasionally because it has happened with them twice now, in a year and a half.
  • sundance 2012/11/12 20:31:54
    sundance
    +1
    Unfortunately, everyone is vulnerable to thieves and scam artists. And nearly all forms of encryption and pass wording are vulnerable, the moment you create any unsecured traffic.

The truth? Unfortunately, your password, is simply not the easiest way onto your computer. Passwords are like the lock on your front door. They simply keep honest people honest. Should someone really want on, they will exploit the way you use a computer. And yes, I know. No one can get on your computer if all you do is personal data and editing. However, the moment you use e-mail while having a latte, hotspot your phone or add wireless to your home, you are vulnerable.
    I would add this. You don't need to be the one to drop the ball either. Chances are, you are on either a social network, bank or communicate online or have an e-mail client. Any of the fore mentioned can be exploited very easily, should you not follow particular, yet simple rules of engagement.

Simple truth... Any encryption is crackable. That being said, you have to have something valuable enough for someone to want to exploit. Serious cracking (beyond you folks that figured out backtrack, and steal your neighbors WEP encrypted WiFi), takes serious time, and serious effort. The deeper the encryption, the more time the would be thi...

Simple truth... Any encryption is crackable. That being said, you have to have something valuable enough for someone to want to exploit. Serious cracking (beyond you folks that figured out backtrack, and steal your neighbors WEP encrypted WiFi), takes serious time, and serious effort. The deeper the encryption, the more time the would be thief needs to get the job done. Bottom line? Read, and get to know the different encryption methods available, and their vulnerabilities, before you trust your precious data to some fly by night "security software"...

The rules of engagement are simple. Never, ever, use an unknown device to transmit sensitive data, ever!!! Before filling out any online purchase or sales applications, or anything that will require sensitive information of any kind, make sure the web address is correct. There is a big difference between www.(your bank).com and www.joe_jimbob@yourbank.com. Confirm you are actually talking to a legitimate retailer, and not some redirect. Speaking of redirects. Never let a website redirect you to a "sign up, or vitrification site". Enter the site directly, or through a trusted source. When using someones WiFi at your favorite latte cafe, remember this. You are only as safe as the connection, and its source.

All this being said, the simplest way not to get conned, hacked, tracked or cloned, is to simply use common sense. If your going to join the computer age of banking, buying, paying and communicating, learn a bit about what your doing before you just jump in. If you don't, you will find your really not prepared to swim in shark infested waters. Be smart, and be safe....Just a thought...

PS...Rule one folks. No matter how good it sounds. If it sounds too good to be true, it definitely is.....Peace
  • Wyveryx sundance 2012/11/12 21:51:38
    Wyveryx
    Very good summarisation indeed :)
  • sundance Wyveryx 2012/11/12 23:14:25
    sundance
    +1
    Thank you...
  • Soojin sundance 2012/11/13 18:50:26
    Soojin
    Any encryption is crackable.

If this is true, I know of a nice prize waiting for you for cracking RSA-2048...
  • sundance Soojin 2012/11/13 23:59:41 (edited)
    sundance
    I reiterate....Any encryption is crackable. The point is this. People are under the illusion that encryption is fool proof, and absolutely protects you from aggressive attacks. The truth is actually much different. We know that WiFi encryption, for instance, is nearly ineffective with most encryption, and completely ineffective with some. Further, nearly all passwords have a weakness, inherent in their design. One, the password is weak, or the security supporting the password is vulnerable.
    By the way. Yes, I know that there are encrypting methods that far exceed the desire of the would be hacker to tackle. However, there is no such thing as a crack proof cypher...Period.
    Security is only as good as the would be hackers desire to crack it. Make it a real pain in the ass for would be thieves, and it becomes better security...Just a thought...

2014/12/21 01:16:49