Do you wear black to funerals

Mary Mary 2013/01/03 09:12:08
Related Topics: Funeral, Wear
I can count the amount if funerals I have been to on one hand.

• leslie 2013/01/03 18:52:10
    Other
    leslie
    +3
    It depends,
    If you are talking about the actual Burial Service YES always Black.
    If you are talking about the Wake/Visitation Hours, then no not necessarily.
    When My Daddy died back in 1984, each of the days of the wake (There were 3) I wore a different Dress, they were all (what they called back in the day) Painters Dresses. Calf Length Tartan/ Pastel/ Grey Plaid wool dresses. He had been with me when I picked them out so it was a way to honor him. The day of the Funeral I wore a Black Suit and my London Fog Rain Coat, because it was 14 below zero wind chill and raining ice.

• phineasjalyper 2013/01/18 16:34:33
  • **StarzAbove** 2013/01/05 15:44:03
    Other
    **StarzAbove**
    Most of the time I do.
  • Harley Squiggles the God \(... 2013/01/05 15:12:57
    Yes black
    Harley Squiggles the God \(#o#)/
    :(
  • Peewee ~PWCM~JLA 2013/01/05 14:59:01
    Yes black
    Peewee ~PWCM~JLA
    Yes, I wear black.
    No dark colour
    I don't really have any special funeral garb.
  • Augure3VI 2013/01/04 04:17:12
  • RogerCoppock 2013/01/04 03:15:25 (edited)
    Other
    RogerCoppock
    +1
    My Pure Land Buddhist sect recognizes WHITE, not BLACK, as the color of death.
    White is the color of ashes from funeral pyres. Priests at funerals wear white.

Renyo, WHITE ASHES: (This piece is traditionally read at Jodo Shinshu funerals)

In silently contemplating the transient nature of human existence, nothing is more fragile and fleeting in this world than the life of a person. Thus we have not heard of a human life lasting for a thousand years. Life swiftly passes and who among people can maintain his form for even a hundred years?

Whether I go before others, or others go before me; whether it be today or it be tomorrow, who is to know? Those who leave before us are countless as drops of dew. Though in the morning we may have radiant health, in the evening we may return to white ashes. When the winds of impermanence blow, our eyes are closed forever; and when the last breath leaves us, our face loses its colour.

Though loved ones gather and lament, everything is to no avail. The body is then sent into an open field and vanishes from this world with the smoke of cremation, leaving only the white ashes. There is nothing more real than this truth of life. The fragile nature of human existence underlies both the young and the old and therefore we must, one and all, turn to the t...

Though loved ones gather and lament, everything is to no avail. The body is then sent into an open field and vanishes from this world with the smoke of cremation, leaving only the white ashes. There is nothing more real than this truth of life. The fragile nature of human existence underlies both the young and the old and therefore we must, one and all, turn to the teachings of the Buddha and awaken to the ultimate source of life.

By so understanding the meaning of death, we shall come to fully appreciate the meaning of this life which is unrepeatable and thus to be treasured above all else. By virtue of true compassion let us together live with the thought of Buddha in our hearts.
  • Mary Mary RogerCo... 2013/01/05 12:45:04
    Mary Mary
    Thank you for that I'd LOVE to know more about Buddhism. I love to meditate but my brain never stops long enough to zone out. Lol
  • RogerCo... Mary Mary 2013/01/05 21:55:35
    RogerCoppock
    I was not speaking for all of Buddhism, just the Japanese Pure Land sect I belong to, the Jōdo Shinshū, Please see:

• Mary Mary RogerCo... 2013/01/06 00:05:58
    Mary Mary
    Thanks roger I will look into it :-)
  • Peewee ... RogerCo... 2013/01/05 14:54:13
    Peewee ~PWCM~JLA
    Very cool.
  • addie 2013/01/04 01:24:14
    Yes black
    addie
    +1
    I would even if i do not always wear black, anyway. I mean it is not an occassion for a clown costume.
  • elsewhere 2013/01/03 21:08:07
    Yes black
    elsewhere
    +1
    I've only been to one funeral in my life so far, it was last year. I did wear black.
  • Max7 2013/01/03 20:07:33
    Other
    Max7
    +1
    It depends, funerals are celebrations of life, which represents a life time of wonderfulness. So wearing black is not always feasible. My grandson died at the age of seven, and our family all wore White and pink. My grandson was dressed in a white suit, accented with a pink shirt, pink handkerchief and a white tie.
  • MsDianna 2013/01/03 19:41:53
    Other
    MsDianna
    +1
    I wear black slacks most of the time and a nice blouse of some kind. Sometimes I wear a dress it just depends on what church the service is held at.
  • leslie 2013/01/03 18:52:10
    Other
    leslie
    +3
    It depends,
  • baxter 2013/01/03 10:35:59
    Yes black
    baxter
    +2
    Black and white
  • Ty ~ PHAET 2013/01/03 10:33:09
    Yes black
    Ty ~ PHAET
    +3
    I wear black the vast majority of the time, regardless of social occasion, but I don't attend funerals very often. The last one I attended was my grandmother's, four years ago.
  • Sir Anthony Of Camelot 2013/01/03 09:13:15
    Other
    Sir Anthony Of Camelot
    +1
    I prefer not to attend funerals.
  • Peewee ... Sir Ant... 2013/01/05 14:58:28
    Peewee ~PWCM~JLA
    I never used to go to funerals either until a very good friend died of meth abuse. Then my parents died. Your attendance really means a lot to the family, even though it's a horrible thing.
  • Sir Ant... Peewee ... 2013/01/05 18:28:45
    Sir Anthony Of Camelot
    I don't go to funerals.
  • Peewee ... Sir Ant... 2013/01/05 18:30:59
    Peewee ~PWCM~JLA
    That is your choice, and yours alone.
  • Sir Ant... Peewee ... 2013/01/05 18:32:31
    Sir Anthony Of Camelot
    +1
    Exactly.

2014/07/31 17:42:07