Do you want to go camping but don't have the gear to do so how would you like to use free gear?

BIG BAD JOHN R. 2012/05/27 15:04:07
Yes, I'd like to take my family camping.
No, I not like going to the outdoors world.
A way to camping and not be out money on the gear to do so.

Nineteen state parks are participating in the program, including Lackawanna in Lackawanna County, Locust Lake in Schuylkill County and Promised Land in Pike County.

Call the park office directly to make reservations. Theprogrambegins this weekend and will run through the summer. Go towww.visitPAParks.comfor park listings and contact information.

The gear provided by Gander Mountain and DCNR is a four-person tent, rain tarp, four sleeping pads, four camp chairs, flashlight, lantern, camp stove and four hot dog/marshmallow sticks. The gear must be returned upon departure.

Participants need to bring their own food, cooking utensils and bedding. Suggested packing lists will be provided.

“This is the second year we are offering this hands-on instruction on camping and we’ve added five additional parks to the original 14,” DCNR Secretary Richard Allan said. “You can’t beat this offer as far as the cost. Theopportunityto enjoy many other activities at our state parks such as hiking and fishing; and a park staffer will even help you set up camp.”

Read more:http://www.timesleader.com/stories/Gander-Mountain-state-park...

• raschell97 2012/05/27 15:17:02
    raschell97
    +4
    It's more common for my mom and dad to organize camping trips last year my brother and I organized it my parents had gotten mad about something I don't know what so they went for a long walk around the ranch so my brother and I got to work packing every thing we would need then after we finished mom and dad got back in they automatically said " sorry kids we're not going" and I looked up at them and said "but we've already packed" dad then said "I guess" so the next day we got started on our camping trip

• knoodelhed 2012/06/12 06:36:26 (edited)
    knoodelhed
    The question doesn't really apply to me. We enjoy camping very much and have resources to do it ranging from simple backpacking gear to a military-grade four-wheel-drive car.
  • hasher 2012/05/29 11:54:08
    hasher
    thats nice they are doing that however i have my own gear and have had it for many years thankyou including 3 or 4 different sizes in tents, winter as well as summer sleeping bags, an air mattress, about 10 chairs, and numerous other gear. had to had 4 boys in scouts. and we were camping even way before that.
  • hasher hasher 2012/05/29 12:19:54
    hasher
    great saulk trail council boy scout camping camp munhacke camping with boy scouts i spent many weekends here for years as a scout leader
  • wolf sloan 2012/05/28 19:02:39
    wolf sloan
    Not being a liberal, I do have my own gear and do not need the freebies.
  • hasher wolf sloan 2012/05/29 11:56:06
    hasher
    but this has nothing to do with liberal or conservative. its a way for someone to try out camping thats never been before.
  • Dee 2012/05/28 01:24:36
    Dee
    Great idea! This allows families and friends to enjoy the great outdoors without having to dump a lot of money into all of the essentials! A family with limited funds can still enjoy a vacation.
  • BIG BAD... Dee 2012/05/28 17:00:47
    BIG BAD JOHN R.
    +2
    Yes, best idea I found in a long time, attendance is down due to the economic recession and this will benefit the parks and help out the family. Great way to spend some quality time.
  • philly 2012/05/28 01:23:42
    philly
    I love camping and my kids are just old enough to go for the first time
  • Maleficent 2012/05/28 01:01:59
    Maleficent
    im not really sure.
  • overseanancy 2012/05/28 00:38:43
    overseanancy
    If I ever wish to go camping, I think I would like some hands on instructions and free gear. However, I don't think I am ready to go camping since I am somewhat afraid of the wildlife.
  • HelmetGirl 2012/05/27 23:05:50
    HelmetGirl
    I am so going to check this out!
  • John Hall 2012/05/27 20:53:46
    John Hall
    I would live to go camping with the family but the wife doesn't want to .
  • BIG BAD... John Hall 2012/05/27 21:49:54
    BIG BAD JOHN R.
    Why does she not want to go? It is a lot different today than when she was a kid
  • John Hall BIG BAD... 2012/05/28 02:07:20
    John Hall
    She doesn't have the desire to go do it as she would say it's not her cup of tea . I went when I was a kid and my teens and loved it .
  • Miko Mikomiko 2012/05/27 20:37:22
    Miko Mikomiko
    I have to admit I have never gone camping before, we did went hiking on a field trip but we didn't set a camp.
  • Tennessee3501 2012/05/27 20:00:19
    Tennessee3501
    We have a large piece of property and we have had guests camp outside. I prefer my air conditioned bedroom.

P.S. I should be ashamed since I was a Boy Scout when I was young!
  • Darlin' 2012/05/27 19:18:16
    Darlin'
    yes I like camping ... not contingent on money or having the gear....
  • zebsmom 2012/05/27 19:07:20
    zebsmom
    Sounds like a wonderful idea. I used to have quite a bit of gear, but all I have now is a couple of sleeping bags. Which are fine. At 4-h camp, we're not allowed to have tents anyway, and that's the only camping I've done for quite a few years. Too bad I'm in CA, and they're not only not providing equipment, they're closing parks.
  • Mtnsmith 2012/05/27 18:21:44
    Mtnsmith
    +1
    Excellent idea! Too many people these days never get outside; we've had kids that have joined our Cub Scout Pack that are literally afraid of the woods.

Got to get 'em out there, and free gear may help!
  • sammanilla 2012/05/27 16:38:53
    sammanilla
    +2
    Climbed some of the Appalachian mountains and camped on same many times.

Now those days bring great memories of fun and adventure.
  • niviongo R ☮ P ☮ 12-20 2012/05/27 16:16:51
    niviongo R ☮ P ☮ 12-20
    +1
    That is not camping, that is working.
    Driving to the middle of nowhere with a picnic basket and blanket. Just you and your mate or family frolicking around or lying in the grass under a big tree, that is camping.
  • zebsmom niviong... 2012/05/27 19:08:00
    zebsmom
    That sounds fun too!
  • niviong... zebsmom 2012/05/27 23:23:41
    niviongo R ☮ P ☮ 12-20
    +1
    Hi zebsmom.
    Thanks. There are many other good qualities, too many to write; the most important is that you are at no risk of injury, your wallet is barely used and most importantly, you do not need any "expert" to tell you anything. Is is a totally sovereign activity.
    Why do we, humans, like to complicate things?
  • zebsmom niviong... 2012/05/28 02:03:49
    zebsmom
    +1
    I don't know why we do it, but I think it's a plot by people who "plan" everything! LOL. I love the picnic/camping idea. Haven't done it in ages and I truly miss it. Day hikes are nice too. Especially when combined with a picnic. One of my favorite things to do. Easy. Fun. No effort. My kind of day.
  • niviong... zebsmom 2012/05/28 03:25:23
    niviongo R ☮ P ☮ 12-20
    +1
    I can see that Zeb has a very practical and functional Mom.
  • hasher niviong... 2012/05/29 11:58:34
    hasher
    really?? alway thought camping was sitting around a campfire at night and sleeping out doors funny been doing it that way for years.
  • niviong... hasher 2012/05/29 14:54:01
    niviongo R ☮ P ☮ 12-20
    That is very much enticing and romantic.
    done that as a couple. Kids are sleeping.
    Keep enjoying it.
  • ajracestables1 2012/05/27 15:46:04
    ajracestables1
    +1
    We don't have a camper but we do have a boat and if we stay overnight , we put a tarp over our boat and sleep in it. It is kind of fun and it works for us. We have a little propain stove to cook with and we use the parks facilities for bathroom needs.
  • EmoMcParland 2012/05/27 15:40:21
    EmoMcParland
    +1
    We have all our own gear; it's wonderful what your doing! We love camping. We camp in The Sierra Mountain Lakes one in Particular; has American Bald Eagles & in spring we seen them catching rainbow trout & feeding their young. nature at its finest,
  • Walt 2012/05/27 15:21:57
    Walt
    I always have my camping gear ready to go, but with weather in the 90's every day, it's not a pleasant time to camp around here.
  • U-Dog 2012/05/27 15:19:28
    U-Dog
    +2
    Sounds good for the people who are low on money and or storage space. I have always kept my eyes open at garage sales for good deals on camping/fishing equipment as well.
  • raschell97 2012/05/27 15:17:02
    raschell97
    +4
  • Mtnsmith raschell97 2012/05/27 18:18:04
    Mtnsmith
    +1
    Smart girl!
  • raschell97 Mtnsmith 2012/05/28 19:15:42
    raschell97
    my dads a sucker for that phrase I guess because he thinks we'd nag him about it for weeks if he didn't say yes which most likely we would have
  • Tree Top TT 2012/05/27 15:14:39
    Tree Top TT
    +2
    I have everything Ineed & more; All I need is the time!
  • BIG BAD JOHN R. 2012/05/27 15:07:11
    BIG BAD JOHN R.
    +4
    Clean fresh air, beautiful wild life and nature, great way to spend some quality time meddow  in the mountains
  • Tree To... BIG BAD... 2012/05/27 15:16:18 (edited)
    Tree Top TT
    +1
    Agreed & that is a Great Pic, thanks for shairing!

2014/12/20 20:58:09