Do you turn your cell phone off while eating at a restaurant?

Liza Jane 2011/04/04 00:10:10
It's become a new policy of many fine dining restaurants that customers are asked to turn off their cell phones while in the dining room.

ElegantWoman.org lists very specific rules of etiquette for dining out in regards to cell phone usage.

-Cell phones should be turned off or placed in silent mode.

-If it is a fine dining restaurant cell phones should be turned off completely; it is rude to "watch" your cell phone for messages or calls when in the company of others.

-Ideally, you shouldn't answer your phone while in the middle of dining out. Return phone calls after dinner.

-If you are at lunch and a client or boss is calling, excuse yourself from the table before answering.

I personally think that the Elegant Woman is correct and I applaud the new trend. If you're out at a nice restaurant, look at your menu. Where it mentions the gratuity it might also inform you that cell phones should be turned off.

Since my parents purchased my first cell phone when I was a teen it was always a big rule that the cell phone shouldn't be paid attention to while eating, even at home. I think it's rude to speak to someone on the phone with food in your mouth anyway... yuck.

Do mind your manners and turn off your cell phone in restaurants?

• La 2011/04/04 16:01:13
    La
    +1
    But it's always on vibrate anyway. I can't say I've ever found myself irritated in a restaurant by someone's loud phone, or loud phone conversation. Usually just loud groups of people annoy me :P

I don't think it's rude to check your phone :/ But it would be rude to spend the whole time texting or something....
  • Liza Jane La 2011/04/04 16:05:00
    Liza Jane
    +1
    I've only been bothered once by someone speaking loudly on their phone at a nice restaurant. I didn't have to complain, the server noticed and asked him to step outside. You should have seen the look on the guy's face, priceless.

I think if you're expecting a call it's totally O.K. to have your phone on silent mode and on the table. It drives me NUTS when friends of mine are constantly checking their Facebook and texting while we're out having dinner or drinks. It's like, "Am I not interesting enough? Are your virtual friends more interesting? Okie dokie, time for me to go." LOL!
  • Lana 2011/04/04 14:12:53
    Lana
    Don't have what I call a leash and don't want one ! The only folks that need one would be Doctors and Lawyers. I see idiots using them everywhere as they actually think they are important and they are not at all. Everyone has my home phone number and they can just call and leave a message and if I want to I will call them back.
    NO LEASH FOR ME, NEVER ! I live very nicely without a leash, I don't understand why idiots need them at all !
  • La Lana 2011/04/04 16:05:24
    La
    +1
    Ehhh. That means if you're going to meet up with someone, you have to have very specific plans. This time, this place, etc. If you're like, "I'll meet up with you when I'm done doing [this other thing] and I'll call you and see where you are" then it's very convenient for both people to have mobiles. Or say, if you're out somewhere and there's a change of plans, and you need to let someone know.... :/

I can't imagine anyone with much of a varied social life could function very well without a mobile. Doesn't make them an idiot.
  • Jaguar 2011/04/04 11:42:30
    Jaguar
    +2
    Or on silent... It's rude to talk on the phone in a resturant...
  • Chibi 2011/04/04 08:25:26
    Chibi
    +2
    Mine is on vibrate wherever I go, unless the place I'm in is silent so a vibrate could be heard...then I put it on silent.
  • kelly 2011/04/04 03:11:30
    kelly
    +2
    It makes me angry if im out somewhere and we are interrupted by a phone call. emergencies are one thing, but just to chit chat? thats rude. thats a good way to get your phone thrown into the river.
  • Ryanhunter 2011/04/04 02:32:43
    Ryanhunter
    I like listening to my ringtone while I'm eating. I won't answer the phone, no no...
  • Gabhain 2011/04/04 01:54:39
    Gabhain
    +1
    I don't turn it off, but I definitely turn off all notifications - sound and vibrate.
  • LesWaggoner BN 1 2011/04/04 01:21:36
    LesWaggoner BN 1
    +2
    I don't carry a cell phone into a restaurant.
  • Jasmine 2011/04/04 00:41:45
    Jasmine
    +3
    Who has money to eat at a restaurant?
  • La Jasmine 2011/04/04 16:06:07
    La
    +1
    Lol....
  • METALheadMom 2011/04/04 00:31:58
    METALheadMom
    +1
    I don't take it IN to the restaurant in the first place. If someone can't do without the phone for an hour or so, they need to stay home.
  • David 2011/04/04 00:30:40
    David
    +1
    I'm so grumpy, no one cals me anymore!
  • U-Dog 2011/04/04 00:21:23
    U-Dog
    +1
    I leave mine in the car.... unfortunately most others -- including my gf, other friends & some family -- that don't seem to know or give a flip that there are others in this "civil" society besides themselves. They justify their own lack of manners by the bad behavior of others around them... and then they have the nerve to say something like: "Gee, I just can't figure out why the world is getting ruder and meaner and going to Haiti’s."
  • Fef 2011/04/04 00:16:38
    Fef
    +1
    couldn't hear it ring if I turned it off ;)
  • sd *TROUBLE* 2011/04/04 00:15:36
    sd *TROUBLE*
    +1
    no, i usually text while i'm out to eat lol
  • JP 2011/04/04 00:11:20
    JP
    +1
    no way man its on vibrate
  • Liza Jane 2011/04/04 00:11:15
    Liza Jane
    +2
    It's always off and in my purse when I'm at a restaurant. :-)

2014/09/15 02:05:25