Do you think that high school seniors should be required to apply to at least one college before being allowed to graduate high school?

The Hand of John 2007/10/23 13:27:46
Yes, all high school seniors need to apply regardless of what their plays are.
No, Enough with all the requirements already you silly, silly woman!
Undecided, I just don't know about today's kids...with all their rock music. I pods and such?
None of the Above, I'll tell you what I think...
In Maine the Secretary of Education wants to mandate college applications before allowing high school graduations. What do you think of this?

• whatever 2007/10/23 13:30:37
    whatever
    +8
    WHY? What if this person can not afford college and wants to join the military? Who is she to decide what these kids are going to do. I can understand her wanting to get them interested in further education but it is the wrong way. you can lead a horse to water but can not make it drink.

• andy 2008/12/18 18:49:03
    andy
    why should we make kids apply for college. they know that if they want a good job they need to go to college and they will if they listened.
  • ophelia 2008/07/29 08:16:14
    ophelia
    i think this puts economically disadvantaged kids a peg lower on the totem pole- is the school going to pay for application costs? what about students who want to go into vocational trades- why waste their time if they don't want to go to college or just cannot, for any number of reasons?

it is far too complicated an issue to have a blanket requirement. they should encourage students to follow their dreams and be creative, not just apply to college.
  • cronewinter 2008/07/29 08:03:25
    cronewinter
    required? no because not everyone is college material but trade scholl ia a good option.
  • Dixie 10 Dog aka nanadixie 2008/07/29 08:01:49
    Dixie 10 Dog  aka nanadixie
    College degree equals better wages and more job security. If students begin the process of making application to a few colleges, they may be more likely to continue with their education. I have found that students who have been helped to believe in their ability to enter college and be successful, fulfill the prophesy and meet the challenge with success. Every business or trade knowledge that is acquired in high school will help in their adult life.
  • Icedragon1969 2008/06/19 18:32:41
    Icedragon1969
    I'm seeing all too many students that either aren't prepared for college out of high school or just shouldn't be there in the first place. I remember having to write an essay on my college applications, showing I knew how to write before I got in. Now we have to test them after two semesters of composition to see that they know how to write even then.

Entrance requirements need to be tightened badly. For traditional students, right out of high school, there shouldn't be any algebra or composition classes taught. Those are requirements for high school graduation and it's perfectly reasonable to expect you can already do these things and demonstrate that you can before getting in. If you can't? There's tech school (out of which you'll likely make more money anyway) and apprenticeship programs should be brought back. A college degree should never have become the modern HS diploma that it has.
  • Dixie 1... Icedrag... 2008/07/29 08:10:07
    Dixie 10 Dog  aka nanadixie
    +1
    I have seen students who are in college struggle with basic concepts, math subjects and writing tasks. It is sad that elementary and high school did not prepare them better for continuing their education. Years ago, England offered students trade school or prep school for college. I believe this began around the age of 14. I have always thought that trade schools should be a foundation in ou education system. Everyone is not a scholar, and these students should have an early introduction to trade crafts.
  • 168290 2008/05/03 09:55:51
  • samantha 2008/03/17 06:55:55
    samantha
    +1
    I suppose it would help get college more accessible for some. I mean, if that's not what they want, they don't have to go. But maybe they'd change their minds.. I don't know. There are pros and cons to both sides. The only thing that could really hurt if this were mandated is the whole application fee thing.
  • ~NJGranny~ 2008/03/10 13:51:10
    ~NJGranny~
    Why? There are so many kids out there who's grades just won't let them get into college. Why put them through the ordeal of getting even one rejection letter. There also kids who are just not college material. No matter how smart they are they just couldn't make it in college.
  • The Han... ~NJGranny~ 2008/03/11 12:23:35
    The Hand of John
    +1
    Excellent point! Not all kids want to go to college some may want a more technical education in a trade.
  • Mark 2008/03/10 13:02:52
    Mark
    I think there are some interesting implications here. . .increasingly schools are being held accountable for the "learning outcomes" of their students.

By mandating that students participate in the application process, the schools could gain access to useful artifacts that could show students are or are not meeting learning outcomes in reading, writing, speaking, and listening. All of these skills could be assessed in an application process and would NOT be high stakes, standardized testing. . .the more I think about it, the more I like it!
  • The Han... Mark 2008/03/11 12:23:32
    The Hand of John
    I'm sorry but using college adminsion as some kind of measurement for students is crude and sadistic. Once a student is denied college entry...it's usually far too late to help them. My hope would be that schools measure outcomes before it's too late for students.
  • Mark The Han... 2008/03/11 12:55:34
    Mark
    +1
    I certainly agree with your idea that outcome measurement should be more formative instead of summative. However, the present accountable measures seem to push schools toward this more summative approach.

Please let me clarify a couple of things:

1-- By capturing information about students' skills sets, I am not suggesting individual data be assessed. I am saying that this information could give the local community a snap shot of how well the children are doing.

2-- I woud quibble with the phrasing "crude and sadistic." Aren't high school graduate going to have to go forth into the world and weather things far more challenging than a college application. I would concede the point that there would need to be some work around in terms of exorbitant application fees many colleges and universities charge. But that is another matter. In my mind, the idea of college application is far less ego threatening than applying for a job.

3-- Just because a high school student does not gain entry into his or her college of choice does not mean it is "too late to help them." Many community colleges around the country have a tradition of open door. Therefore, even if the student does not meet benchmarks for entry to his/her college of choice, a couple of semesters at the local community coll...

'""

3-- Just because a high school student does not gain entry into his or her college of choice does not mean it is "too late to help them." Many community colleges around the country have a tradition of open door. Therefore, even if the student does not meet benchmarks for entry to his/her college of choice, a couple of semesters at the local community college could re-sharpen the skills and get the student prepared for transfer to this school of choice.

4-- Within 5-7 years, the demographics are going to change and many universities will be bending over backward to take students who by today's standards would be marginal for admission. What some demographers call the "echo of the baby boom" will flatten out high school graduation numbers and the colleges and universities around the country will be forced to go deeper into their applicant pool to fill freshman classes.
  • The Han... Mark 2008/03/11 13:10:04
    The Hand of John
    I agree with your points here. I do think that seeing kids fail as a way of measuring academic performance is a bit crude.
  • 319824 2008/02/18 23:23:57
    319824
    you already tell them that they have to atten school for 12 years you can't tell them if they should go to college or not it's there choice
  • Mark 319824 2008/03/11 13:03:54
    Mark
    Regrettably--at least in my state where low skill low wage jobs are disappearing--what will students with a high school credential do: work in low pay service sector jobs such as Wal-mart or fast food?

Read Barbara Ehrenreich's "Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America." She shows how low skill/low wage jobs won't allow a person to make it in America today. . .and this book was published in 2001--well before the current recession we are facing right now!
  • jayc32~just me~ 2008/02/15 20:54:24
    jayc32~just me~
    That's just silly, if they want to go to college they'll apply. it makes no sense to apply if you're not going. So why should you have too?
  • SpokenxPain 2008/01/28 06:04:41
    Undecided, I just don't know about today's kids...with all their rock music. ...
    SpokenxPain
    +2
    not really sure. those 90's generation kids are starting to freak me out a little.
  • Sav 2008/01/10 20:15:26
    Sav
    +1
    No- college track isn't for everyone. A lot of people do well in technical trades, etc...
  • Brat Simpson 2008/01/07 23:56:57
    Brat Simpson
    Bad idea!
  • Sincerely Audley 2008/01/04 19:24:14
    Sincerely Audley
    what if they dont want to go to college??
    im a senior right now and there is enough stress that goes along with senior year without have another graduation requirement!
  • The Han... Sincere... 2008/01/07 14:15:06
    The Hand of John
    +1
    The woman didn't care. Apparently it looks better on paper if every high school grad 'looks' like they may go on to college. Our current Governor has this thing about this. Vocational schools are high up on the hit list. High School vocational programs have been hit hard if not wiped out entirely. The voc-tech system was actually folded in with some of the smaller colleges to become a community college system rather than a 'vocational/technical' system like it was. I really think young people should be allowed the grace to make their own decisions and apply or not apply to whatever feels right for them. Where is the American freedom to collectively seek out our own prosperity?
  • Strudel 2007/12/05 19:21:12
    Strudel
    No, some already have jobs and some maybe want to wait a few years to go to college. And it's hard enough for some to graduate, without having to worry about applying for another school.
  • AZ Desert Rat 2007/12/04 03:57:39
    AZ Desert Rat
    However, I do not include the silly, silly woman part of this statement.
    Not everybody is destined to go to college. Some will go to technical schools, some will go to trade schools and some will just join the workforce with the benefits of a high school education. There is nothing wrong with this.
  • The Han... AZ Dese... 2007/12/05 19:18:51
    The Hand of John
    I agree...sorry about the silly, silly woman crack, but she's been a real pip lately here in Maine.
  • deana 2007/10/28 07:24:15
    deana
    if people don't want to go to college, we shouldn't make them. i'd rather go to school with other people who want to be there than with people who don't and complain about it(because you know they would)
  • jacobtree 2007/10/27 13:10:25
    jacobtree
    College is not for every one. So why make them apply?
  • S.Sif:* 2007/10/26 21:06:45
    S.Sif:*
    They should just at least have to do what they want to do :) I mean common... they are adults already ;}
  • highlatte 2007/10/25 22:00:05
    highlatte
  • ♥~Rainbow~♥ 2007/10/24 13:15:16
    ♥~Rainbow~♥
    +1
    its called their choice...why force more rules as to whats best for "everyone"
  • reminder 2007/10/24 06:52:33
    reminder
    Actually I don't think it should be required they apply. Not everyone can afford it for one. And some may just not want to go directly out of school. sad but true college isn't for everyone.
  • Patty Ann 2007/10/24 04:27:11 (edited)
    Patty Ann
    +1
    Where I Iive, all private and public high schools strongly suggest
    that 12th graders start applying to several colleges. That is not a
    requirement and doesn't prevent students from graduating.
  • The Han... Patty Ann 2007/10/24 13:27:41
    The Hand of John
    +1
    encouraging is good...making it manditory...well I just don't get that.
  • Milk Maid 2007/10/24 02:38:14
    Milk Maid
    WHO HAS THE MONEY FOR COLLEGE??? Unless you have rich parents good luck paying that bill. I will encourage my children to go and I will try to help them pay for it that is why we started a savings and deposit monthly into it but from my background...I came from a home with no money period! I have worked many jobs to pay to get to where I am now and it wasn't easy. On the other hand, if I were foreign I would of had a loan for college, loan to start up a business, loan for housing, loan for transportation etc...from the government however, I am from Amercia so I'm on my own. How do I know, I was the only American girl in an apt. building full of people that were given a lot by our own government...yeah, my jaw hit the ground and yes I was jealous at the time but I feel better working for everything I got now!
  • roger 2007/10/24 02:10:26
    roger
    Colleges are loaded with kids that don't want to go...mostly its the parents that want their kids to go to college.
  • alw_ays roger 2007/10/26 17:15:40
    alw_ays
    +1
    That's why I said what I did when I voted. Exactly why.
  • roger alw_ays 2007/10/26 22:57:29
    roger
    umh!...must be thinking on same line eh!
  • CQ 2007/10/24 01:18:42
    CQ
    +1
    uh...NOooooo!
  • NICKI70 2007/10/23 23:55:18 (edited)
    NICKI70
    ALot of families cant afford the cost.Besidea all that the lastest statments are that tech. scholls are the way to go.THis came from my sons guidence couns. But they were taken to a college and spoken to by a admissions person, he liked it but I dont think he will go he has chossen a VO tech program which the high school I mean my taxes pay for
  • Hola 2007/10/23 23:08:03
    Hola
    It is the personal choice of that young individual whether or not he/she want to attend college.

2014/09/30 22:02:01