Do you think that assisted suicide for terminal patients is right or wrong?

Darling Biscuits 2007/10/10 19:01:52

• Nonicknameunlessyouknowme 2009/05/23 13:22:34
    Absolutely! Death with dignity.
    Nonicknameunlessyouknowme
    +1
    I have no problem with assisted suicide, I believe even death row inmates can choose death by lethal injection, hanging, or the gas chamber so why should the terminally ill patient have to suffer and know his/her loved ones are going to have to watch and suffer along with him/her?
  • Constance*sick to death of ... 2009/01/03 19:23:36
    Absolutely! Death with dignity.
    Constance*sick to death of idiots*
    +1
    in the past three years, I've buried four people who suffered through slow, agonizing deaths, who's lives were reduced to diapers, pain and boredom.

Dignaty was so far off the list it wasn't even

It's not for everyone, and NO ONE EXCEPT THE PATIENT SHOULD HAVE A SAY. This is not a fast way to ease great uncle Rob into the ground.

If a person is still 100% of sound mind, and is making a decision based on all the facts, not just pain, and there is no outside influence. then I believe that medically assisted suicide should be an option.
  • Michael 2008/10/09 14:32:51
    Absolutely! Death with dignity.
    Michael
    I would never want to be a vegetable... Do you know how horrible it would be to be trapped within your body just waiting to die?
  • ««Gingey, the Master Debate... 2008/10/07 03:48:53
    Absolutely! Death with dignity.
    ««Gingey, the Master Debater of Þ|-|Дэ†»»
    It's not so bad.
  • patblue1947 2008/09/28 20:46:30
    patblue1947
    I support the right of anyone to end their suffering if they choose to. However there needs to be safeguards to prevent exploitation by others. And physicians that are opposed tol assisted suicide should not be forced to participate.
  • No Name 2008/09/28 18:50:06
  • Gwynodd 2008/07/14 19:25:35
    Absolutely! Death with dignity.
    Gwynodd
    +1
    Has anyone ever gone to a Nursing Home and seen the same person lying in the bed that you saw 3 years before? I have. I couldn't believe it. I thought to myself - what kind of a life does that person have? All that person does is eat, poop and sleep. Sad. That was just one person - think of all the hundreds or thousands of other people just like that and you wonder what is life all about. Is it better to be a vegetable or out of your misery? If I ever get into that situation I would rather be dead. So, yes, I am all for assisted suicide - especially my own.
  • Miss Lori 2008/06/30 07:17:27
    No, suicide is never right.
    Miss Lori
    +1
    If I tell you that I am going to kill myself, and I put a gun to my own head, I can change my mind at the very last moment, and not die. But, if you are the one holding the gun and pulling the trigger, if I change my mind at the very last second, it will be too late. If I don't want to die, even a split second before you pull the trigger, then you have not assisted me, you have murdered me. You may not want to accept that responsibility, and you may be able to point to my written words that give you permission to kill me, but the only one who knows what I wanted at the very last second is me.

We cannot avoid suffering. From the moment we are born, until the moment we die, we are suffering from one kind of misery or another. Neither happiness or distress is permanent in our lives, and we are witness to every kind of suffering imaginable. Some people live their entire lives in excrutiating pain, and yet, they have the will to live, overcome, achieve. We see heart-wrenching stories of heroic struggles with cancer, leukemia, and other diseases, and we admire and respect those people who have learned to overcome those obstacles, and who use that suffering to become stronger, living their lives to the fullest despite their own suffering. Why then, at the very last moment, do we see...''

We cannot avoid suffering. From the moment we are born, until the moment we die, we are suffering from one kind of misery or another. Neither happiness or distress is permanent in our lives, and we are witness to every kind of suffering imaginable. Some people live their entire lives in excrutiating pain, and yet, they have the will to live, overcome, achieve. We see heart-wrenching stories of heroic struggles with cancer, leukemia, and other diseases, and we admire and respect those people who have learned to overcome those obstacles, and who use that suffering to become stronger, living their lives to the fullest despite their own suffering. Why then, at the very last moment, do we seek to avoid it? Even if you don't believe in the eternal nature of life, the soul, what dishonor is it to be defeated at the end of life by the very thing you have conquered throughout the rest of your life? Letting go of the body, of this life, is one thing. There is no dishonor there, because everyone MUST go. To judge the self as having the right, the authority, the merit, to take one's own life, is denying the nature of the self to live until it is not possible for one more moment.
  • Rosalie 2008/04/20 01:27:39
    Absolutely! Death with dignity.
    Rosalie
    There is no digmity in death. Its OVER.
  • Rick4Ro... Rosalie 2009/05/24 01:30:28
    Rick4Ron - Paul☮2012
    +1
    There is dignity in having the choice.
  • Rosalie Rick4Ro... 2009/05/26 20:08:17 (edited)
    Rosalie
    Yes there is. And our Society is more humaine to animals then to the Humans in this WORLD.
  • Headhunter 13 2008/03/21 15:31:33
    Absolutely! Death with dignity.
    Headhunter 13
    I believ eit is about quality of life not life in poverty and pain. I personally have a living will and if I had to I would shoot myself or find another way not to be a emotional and economic drain on my loved ones. If your loved ones want to see you suffer and linger are they really loving you or feeling sorry for themselves
  • Emily MCRmy [FTDM!!!!] 2008/03/11 18:05:17
    Emily MCRmy [FTDM!!!!]
    I wouldn't do it.
    HAHAHAHA! did you get that from south park?
  • Darling... Emily M... 2008/03/21 15:28:37
    Darling Biscuits
    +1
    Uh no. I got that from millions of Americans who are suffering from painful terminal illnesses and are forced to see it through to the end instead of being allowed to die with dignity.
  • Ed© 2008/02/29 22:14:40
    Absolutely! Death with dignity.
    Ed©
    +2
    It's too sad watching over someone who can't have freedom...
  • kirktc 2008/02/13 16:28:31
    No, suicide is never right.
    kirktc
    I have had many family members with terminal illnesses and family members living with them now and none has asked for assistance in suicide. I do not feel that anyone in the medical profession would condone what some call mercy killing, and be able to call themselves healers of the hypocratic oath. Their steps a patient can take to have living aids stopped so their death is done by the natural shut down of their body when in a critical condition. Our family discuss this among us and our physicians so we can all be aware of our family members wishes, a physician should not make these choices for their patient or the family members of the patient. There is no dignity in death, the living have dignity and how they lived up to their death and how their family rejoices in having them in our life for the time they were part of it brings dignity to the person after death. Death brings pain to the living not the dead, why would anyone choose to bring pain on a loved one.
  • Snarkosaurus 2007/10/20 14:03:36
    Absolutely! Death with dignity.
    Snarkosaurus
    +1
    Hell yes! I only hope it is legal before I get to that point. If you don't want to die that way, you don't have to. I see this turning into a debate similar to the abortion stuff.
  • ErinGoBragh87 2007/10/17 22:07:45
    No, suicide is never right.
    ErinGoBragh87
    sorry but no even if i was dying of terminal illness, i want to go to heaven, suicide is a big no-no in my book
  • Headhun... ErinGoB... 2008/03/21 15:34:25
    Headhunter 13
    +1
    another response to a question based on the fear that Religion teaches. A merciful god wanting you and your family to suffer does not sound merciful to me.
  • Mr. T 2007/10/16 00:34:35
    Absolutely! Death with dignity.
    Mr. T
    +2
    if they are able to make a decision, or at a point where they are just going to be breathing via machine, then.. put them out of their missery. No need to prolong suffering.
  • kathyleen 2007/10/15 22:02:56
    Absolutely! Death with dignity.
    kathyleen
    +1
    well think of it this way, if they wanted to die and they had enough strength/stamina to do it themselves, dont you think they wouldve done it?

i rest my case
  • chici25 2007/10/14 18:59:09
    Absolutely! Death with dignity.
    chici25
    +2
    I agree on that life is sacred. Therefore I believe you should have the right of a death with dignity.
  • luvcoulter 2007/10/14 15:54:07
    Absolutely! Death with dignity.
    luvcoulter
    +1
    Why will some of you not leave the government out of our lives. Idiots.
  • Angel41 2007/10/14 03:10:32
    Angel41
    I should probably not comment on this as I am torn in my response. I believe that murder and suicide is wrong, but at the same time I would not want to suffer until the end. I would also not want to see anyone I love suffer. I can't say what I would do in this situation whether it's me or someone I love. I gues I will have to actually be in this situation before I could really say what I would do. I do know that I would pray like I never have before I took any action.
  • mikeNOTvick 2007/10/13 02:43:30
    Absolutely! Death with dignity.
    mikeNOTvick
    +2
    Provided that the decision was made by the terminally ill person while still have cognitive ability.
  • Teedee 2007/10/13 02:25:13
    Absolutely! Death with dignity.
    Teedee
    +2
    If it is terminal then yes..let them die with their dignity.I think everyone should have a living will just for this.
  • patchesm27 2007/10/13 01:38:07
    Absolutely! Death with dignity.
    patchesm27
    +1
    Better than suffering.
  • Truthseeker 2007/10/12 23:31:31
    Absolutely! Death with dignity.
    Truthseeker
    +2
    Death with Dignity. The only reason why it's outlawed is because the medical industry wants you to suffer in their hospitals, while you're fed their drugs, eating their food and taking up their space. And the government back this up because they want to tax the shit out of the "services" provided by the hospital. HAH. When I get cancer, and I get so bad that I want to die, I'm going to the state of Washington, and have a doctor with a heart help.
  • S.Sif:* 2007/10/12 15:25:21
    S.Sif:*
    Assisted is murder but suicide is OK if you feel really, really bad...
  • ダニア・ウェイ 2007/10/12 15:02:39
    Absolutely! Death with dignity.
    ダニア・ウェイ
    +2
    if it's the patient choose yeah.
    everyone should be free to decide.
  • aunteek 2007/10/12 14:51:32
    Absolutely! Death with dignity.
    aunteek
    +2
    Why put a person through all the pain of a natural death when there is nothing that can be done. When it's my turn I sincerely hope I can control the when and the how.
  • Syck & Twysted 2007/10/12 14:32:16
    Absolutely! Death with dignity.
    Syck & Twysted
    +2
    I would rather die then terminal
  • KRS 2007/10/12 06:25:00
    Absolutely! Death with dignity.
    KRS
    +3
    Personal choice over governmental influence.
  • True~Male 2007/10/12 03:13:40
    Absolutely! Death with dignity.
    True~Male
    +2
    They treat dogs better -- when a dog is terminal they put him to sleep.
    Actually I hate the idea of anyone or anything suffering -- I would hope that when my end comes I go peacefully in my sleep. But how many of us get that Lucky. I'll take a bottle of sleeping pills , if no one has the courage to put me down. No worries for anyone --
  • Jeremy 2007/10/12 01:38:55
    No, suicide is never right.
    Jeremy
    +1
    i would rather not end up in hell via suicide
  • mikeNOT... Jeremy 2007/10/13 02:40:56
    mikeNOTvick
    Well how do you want to get there?
  • Jeremy mikeNOT... 2007/10/13 20:18:04
    Jeremy
    honestly i dont want to, i jsut think suicide is a horrible way to die

and suicide in the bible is a ticket to hell

and if you think your suffering now

you wait until your own there buddy
  • Modena Bobena's Mommy 2007/10/12 00:18:33
    Absolutely! Death with dignity.
    Modena Bobena's Mommy
    +2
    I think that we should each have the right to decide at which point our life ends, if that's what we want.

Suicide isn't illegal, so why, under certain circumstances, is helping someone die with a little dignity?
  • Hola Modena ... 2007/10/12 00:53:55
    Hola
    +1
    Good point.
  • Roy Munson 2007/10/11 23:50:29
    Absolutely! Death with dignity.
    Roy Munson
    +1
    We buried my mother eight days ago. She died of cancer. Fortunately for her, she went rather quickly and suffered little. Conversely, I had an aunt who lived for seven years from the date that she was diagnosed as terminal. I'm all in favor of euthanasia if that's what the victim desires.

2014/12/20 20:56:52