Do you think students should be allowed to carry purses/bags?

peaches 2011/08/28 00:02:16
So my school decided to ban purses and bags from the classroom and halls this year. I haven't gone back yet, but the rule is set. They claim that it's because of carrying weapons, when no one has ever done that in my school. And because girls text out of their purses. They overlook the fact that guys text in their pockets in school as well, so they make the girl's lives hell by banning purses. Apparentaly we can keep them in our lockers, but that would require us to stop at our lockers when we need to go to the bathroom. Which is sometimes very far from our classes and would take unnessesary time. And I know for me that I carry a lot of stuff I need for class in mine too, like pens, pencils, highlighters, and such. We already can't carry backpacks for all of our books. It's also going to be an issue with whether or not students can carry lunch boxes or gym bags. Girls are already petitioning the rule and trying to get parents involved to change it back.
I just don't get why they think banning purses is going to stop the texting rate. It's not. And even if it will, girls really need them.

So what do you think? Is the school being completely unreasonable, or are purses/bags unnessesary?

• Ara 2011/08/28 00:08:17
    Yes, purses should be permitted
    Ara
    +5
    Of course girls need to carry purses. What happens when you get your period? What, you're supposed to cram tampons in your jean pockets (which will be obvious and let everyone know you're on your period) or rush to your locker and the bathroom just to take a piss?
    And if nobody's ever brought a weapon into your school I don't see the point in the sudden concern. Besides, banning bags will NOT discourage someone really set on bringing in a weapon. They'll conceal it some other way. Or they'll use a stapler as a weapon. Frankly if you're crafty enough you can turn ANYTHING into a weapon.

• kingster 2012/03/01 22:33:03
    No, they should not
    kingster
    i have to wright an essay about do you think bookbags should be allowed in school and i dont think they should !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Sleepin'WitSirens;* 2011/08/29 22:48:32
    Yes, purses should be permitted
    Sleepin'WitSirens;*
    +1
    Of course!
  • Undecided
    Algor. Mortis. - ҎԊǢɬ Physician
  • peaches Algor. ... 2011/08/30 00:57:04
    peaches
    ha-ha...
  • KoAm 2011/08/29 13:37:16
    Yes, purses should be permitted
    KoAm
    Yes. How else are the students going to carry all their school-issued condoms?

if schools are going to be insane enough to encourage MORE teen (and preteen) sex by giving out condoms, the least they can do is allow the kids to use purses to carry all the rubbers home.
  • peaches KoAm 2011/08/29 17:20:51
    peaches
    Okay, this question has absolutely nothing to do with schools giving students condoms. My school doesn't do that in the first place.
  • American_Rights 2011/08/28 15:00:32
    Yes, purses should be permitted
    American_Rights
    +1
    How else am I supposed to lug five huge textbooks up and downstairs? PLUS three binders?!
  • Jenna Smith 2011/08/28 14:50:56
    Yes, purses should be permitted
    Jenna Smith
    +1
    i carried one at my school very handy
  • NAMIKI SAKUMA 2011/08/28 11:49:35
    Yes, purses should be permitted
    NAMIKI SAKUMA
    +1
    why stop them?
  • Sumātogai 2011/08/28 11:09:43
    Yes, purses should be permitted
    Sumātogai
    +1
    I see no problem with that.
  • Pamu 2011/08/28 11:02:05
    Yes, purses should be permitted
    Pamu
    +2
    no reason to stop them.
    Yes, purses should be permitted
    +1
    I did!
  • Hsmagst 2011/08/28 08:41:58
  • peaches Hsmagst 2011/08/28 17:08:24
    peaches
    No, they really haven't. You can't go around assuming that that is what girls keep in their purses. Plus the point of a weapon would be to harm somebody. Otherwise there would be no point in having one in the first place. The school wouldn't know about it if they haven't been caught anyway. But weapons isn't the issue, its an excuse the school used as a reasonable reason to ban bags.
  • TKramar 2011/08/28 08:22:03
    TKramar
    I'd stop carrying my books to class. No bag, no book. No pencils or pens. No paper or notebooks. Every class I'd come in and just stare at the teacher for the whole hour.
  • Roxxi 2011/08/28 05:39:11
    Yes, purses should be permitted
    Roxxi
    +1
    At our school, we just get our phones taken away from us if they're seen, or heard, or if we get caught using them and we can't get them back until our parents come and get it. People usualy just keep them in their bags and turned off, or at least on silent during school hours..
  • peaches Roxxi 2011/08/28 17:10:03
    peaches
    Yes, we are supposed to get our taken away and get a detention as well. For some reason my school thinks that banning purses is going to end texting in general, which it won't. I usually keep mine in my purse on silent, but I don't take it out during the school day.
  • k i r a 2011/08/28 05:04:45
    Yes, purses should be permitted
    k i r a
    +1
    Even without the purse. I'm sure girls will find a way to text just like the boys do. If they ban a purse because they think a weapon maybe in there then it means no detector upon school entry. A weapon can be hidden elsewhere other than purse. If a person is really intent on bringing one. They can get creative. On their person.
  • Fresno State Fan CB-05 2011/08/28 04:49:07
    No, they should not
    Fresno State Fan CB-05
    +1
    School isn't a place to make a fashion statement. I assume you're allowed backpacks or have lockers? You don't need a purse or bag. Save it for after school.
  • peaches Fresno ... 2011/08/28 05:08:59
    peaches
    +1
    Oh, so purses weren't invented for the sole reason of girls keeping pads and tampons with them just in case? Yeah, right. It's not a fashion statement, it's a nessesity.
    We have lockers, but backpacks were never allowed.
  • Fresno ... peaches 2011/08/28 05:29:48 (edited)
    Fresno State Fan CB-05
    What school? I'd love to know what school doesn't allow backpacks. I smell BS. I went to high school myself believe it or not, and the girls I knew kept their feminine hygiene products in their gym lockers. Not in purses. Carry them in in your backpack. No backpack, stick them in a jacket pocket. You have options. Your argument falls flat. You don't need a purse at school.
  • peaches Fresno ... 2011/08/28 17:13:45 (edited)
    peaches
    We can carry backpacks, just not to class. They have to stay in our lockers.
    Why would you keep it in your gym locker? When that may be out of reach when you need it. And we don't have gym everyday for the whole school year, so we won't have our own gym locker. So that wouldn't work. As I said, backpacks stay in lockers, which also may be a ten minute walk from your classroom. Girl's pockets aren't nearly big enough to carry that stuff in the first place. And lord knows if a guy sees it there will be a huge uproar and cause a big distraction in class not to mention embarressment. That's just a hastle to go though. Until you are a teenage girl at my school, don't tell me that you don't need one.
  • TKramar Fresno ... 2011/08/28 08:17:33
    TKramar
    they're not allowed backpacks.
  • Anariashki 2011/08/28 04:47:58
    Yes, purses should be permitted
    Anariashki
    +1
    There's not enough space in my pockets for all my junk.
  • Erinmnm 2011/08/28 04:04:39
    Yes, purses should be permitted
    Erinmnm
    +1
    This rule is outrageous! History has proved that if people want to do something, they'll find a way to do it, and weapons in school are no different. Banning purses aren't going to discourage any physcos at all. Girls need purses, and it's not fair to punish them in the name of their "safety". I keep everything in my own purse, though my school is very small so I just keep it in my locker because of that. But most schools are not tiny midget ones like mine... I imagine that yours, and most others, have large campuses, so it's necessary to carry things you need with you! you should put a petition online, so that people all over the world can sign it!
  • peaches Erinmnm 2011/08/28 04:48:42
    peaches
    Oh no no no! My school is tiny! Like no more than 800 students in the high school. Weapons are not the issue here, it is just an excuse that they came up with to ban bags.
    There's already a facebook group made to petition against it as well as an actual petition my friend made for everyone to sign. Good idea though!
  • Beanybudd 2011/08/28 03:35:23 (edited)
    Yes, purses should be permitted
    Beanybudd
    +1
    Because it really sucks trying to stuff your tampons between your binders or in your sleeve so no one will see it. It can easily fall out. But that is never possible because in between class periods everyone is crammed together surrounding your locker, and it sucks majorly when you have guy locker neighbors on each side of you.

That's why I would wear long sleeves or sweatshirts during my period. So I could unzip the tampon pouch in my backpack and sneak it into my sleeve. It sucked because the girls bathroom was on the opposite side of the school from my locker. It was really awful and awkward.

Luckily, teachers allowed girls to bring purses. But backpacks in classrooms are not permitted unless you are on crutches or getting back from a college you were taking PSEO credits in. Teachers are pretty understanding about that.
  • kotabear 2011/08/28 03:05:30
    Yes, purses should be permitted
    kotabear
    +2
    If someone wants to bring a weapon, they will do what they can to do so. My goodness. Plus bags are good for extra school supplies, and binders, and books... and tampons.
  • Beanybudd kotabear 2011/08/28 03:36:21
    Beanybudd
    +1
    Tampons mainly! lol
  • cali 2011/08/28 03:04:00
  • peaches cali 2011/08/28 05:13:54
    peaches
    +1
    Very, and if a boy sees it, lord knows all hell is going to break loose.
  • Myst 2011/08/28 02:43:13
    Myst
    +1
    Your school board evidently wants to ensure that teachers can see what a student is carrying during the day from class to class. You can carry your purse to school with your cel phone, makeup, tampons, etc items not needed throughout your day. If you suddenly have a monthly issue, advise your teacher that you need to be excused to go to your locker. Sounds to me it's really about the cel phone. How does a guy text on a phone if it's in his pants pocket, must be some awful large pockets.
  • peaches Myst 2011/08/28 04:51:15
    peaches
    Students will manage to break the rules no matter what, I don't see how taking away purses is going to change any of that! With some oblivious teachers, texting in class is easy. I'd never do it though.
  • Myst peaches 2011/08/28 06:07:01
    Myst
    Break the rules and there are consequences, as you can now see first hand.
  • peaches Myst 2011/08/28 17:15:26 (edited)
    peaches
    When you break the rules you do get consequences, you get a detention and your phone taken away. Taking purses away from girl isn't going to solve the problem at all. And I've never texted in class. Only a few select people do. Punishing the whole female population isn't a fair consequence.
  • Myst peaches 2011/08/29 01:04:53
    Myst
    You are now witnessing first hand what life in the outside world is really like.
  • peaches Myst 2011/08/29 03:40:59
    peaches
    My purse isn't going to get banned outside of school. I have that right outside of the classroom. So no, I'm not really witnessing anything like the 'real' word is by this silly rule.
  • Myst peaches 2011/08/30 01:06:51
    Myst
    Ah h, but you are on a micro-level. You fail to grasp the concept here. They have no control over you outside of school. When you get in the real world and begin a job, go to college, or enter the military then you will understand. Everything you do has consequences.
  • peaches Myst 2011/08/30 01:09:49
    peaches
    Of course everything you do has consequences. But those consequences will mostly reflect on what I do. Not what a few girls in my school have done.
    And the consequences should actually be reason able, like a detention or phone taken away would be in this case, unlike banning bags that are needed.
  • Eddie 2011/08/28 02:41:00
    Yes, purses should be permitted
    Eddie
    +2
    LAME!! Your arms can be used as weapons. Maybe you should leave those at home too. Stupid rule. So you guys are suppose to just carry your books around and crap?

2014/12/22 14:18:57