Do you think Southwest went too far telling a woman she had too much cleavage?

mrosen814 2012/06/19 22:40:33
Avital was boarding a 6 a.m. Southwest Airlines flight on June 5 from Las Vegas to New York, wearing a cotton black dress, flannel shirt and scarf.

Avital claims she was politely chatting with an airline worker – who then told her cleavage was inappropriate and that she wouldn’t be able to board the flight unless she buttoned up her flannel shirt...Avital declined to cover up and boarded the plane – cleavage and all. The flight and Avital apparently made it to New York without incident.

“[I didn't] think there was anything that special about the outfit I was wearing. It had topped 115 degrees in Las Vegas when I was there, and most people were scantily dressed just to stay cool. I hadn’t even considered that it would have been a big deal,” Avital said.

She added that she “most likely” will not be flying Southwest again.

vegas people scantily dressed stay cool deal avital flying southwest

Read More: http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/06/18/woman-claim...

• mamacrash 2012/06/19 23:29:33
    mamacrash
    +5
    Unless she was boarding in a bikini, she wasn't, they have no right to comment on her cleavage, abundant or not. I think the person who talked to her about her cleavage was either jealous or just wanting a closer look. Either way the picture doesn't show any more cleavage than most in that kind of heat and if you go to most non-uniform high schools you will most likely see more skin than this woman showed.

• nenenae 2012/06/20 01:24:14
    nenenae
    +1
    Ive seen alot worse
  • BlairCat 2012/06/20 01:22:06
    BlairCat
    waaaaaaatt??? how rude. Would they say this to Kim Kardashian?
  • SHEENA SCHMIDT 2012/06/20 01:21:31
    SHEENA SCHMIDT
    +1
    i travel Southwest at least once a month I am a woman who wears clothing with a lower cut showing more cleavage and no one asked me to cover up,I have been searched at least once and I guess thats random pick. I will say they have a very high rate of stealing from my lugage I check, and they do not reimburse, they make u wait two months then say, we could not see where someone went in your lugage claim denied, I now take out insurance with American Express on my lugage now
  • Sue Johnson 2012/06/20 01:15:35
    Sue Johnson
    +1
    She looks like she's coming out of her top and she didn't notice,that it might make somebody feel uncomfortable.
  • Kingarthurup 2012/06/20 01:13:03
    Kingarthurup
    No, they should have removed her top and measured to be sure.
  • Erik Zimerman 2012/06/20 01:11:49
    Erik Zimerman
    +1
    Yes, but I wouldn't even call it "Southwest" going too far (in that case, I do believe they have the right to ask for any dress code they wish from their customers, who also have the right to use their service or not)..

I'd say it sounds more like an either jealous or obnoxiously flirtatious airline worker (post does not say if it was a man or women) being inappropriate.
  • Efram Paul 2012/06/20 01:06:16
    Efram Paul
    +1
    I think the worker must be a religious fanatic. Avital did nothing wrong, and should not have been harassed.
  • Drake 2012/06/20 01:04:18
  • derek 2012/06/20 00:56:47
    derek
    +1
    Damn it. That was supposed to say yes. Pos phone. There can never be too much cleavage.. I think that's the official rule.
  • Burning Bright Embers 2012/06/20 00:52:38
    Burning Bright Embers
    +1
    her cleavage is not offensive, they went too far.
  • Koma 2012/06/20 00:46:25
    Koma
    There's no such thing as too much cleavage.
  • tblackb 2012/06/20 00:45:45
    tblackb
    who r they 2 tell sum1 how 2 dress? r they gong 2 start buying her clothes!
  • vaderpriest 2012/06/20 00:44:39
    vaderpriest
    +1
    It was the employee's opinion most likely, not south west. I find it a bit rich that an employee of an airline company would gall to say this. When you consider how they grope, scan, and handle men, women and even children under the pretext of security!
  • Lizzeh 2012/06/20 00:43:11
    Lizzeh
    +1
    They wanna see too much cleavage? Go look at a porn star. That isn't even that much cleavage she's showing, right there. They had no right.. it's rude, embarassing, and honestly, it's quite ridiculous. People with kids can't act like they don't show a little sometimes. Also, their kids are going to see similar, if not worse, things in their lifetime. Why 'protect' them when you know you can't 'protect' them forever? Atleast we know she has self esteem. If it makes her happy, let her flaunt it.
  • SHEENA ... Lizzeh 2012/06/20 01:26:25
    SHEENA SCHMIDT
    What will they do when a woman breast feeds her baby, throw her off, this I want to see nlol
  • Lizzeh SHEENA ... 2012/06/26 02:12:37
    Lizzeh
    That's especially uncalled for. Boobies are there for a reason. They're amazing and they feed babies.
  • WAYNE ROSE 2012/06/20 00:35:58
    WAYNE ROSE
    +1
    she can drive next time... What about people with kids... unfortunately this world is full of to many people who only care about themselves.
  • SHEENA ... WAYNE ROSE 2012/06/20 01:27:54
    SHEENA SCHMIDT
    +1
    I bet you would throw the woman who breast feeds her baby, they now rules she does not have to cover, now you see it all, why do so many people try to make the body dirty
  • Beat Ma... WAYNE ROSE 2012/06/20 05:22:38
    Beat Magnum True Hero
    +1
    So what about kids? Really? So what? Maybe if American kids were brought up with the idea that the human body is not a dirty thing to be ashamed of, we'd have a few less problems.
  • Andy Fletcher 2012/06/20 00:19:21
    Andy Fletcher
    +1
    More insanity.
  • Elizabeth Sanderson 2012/06/20 00:10:36
    Elizabeth Sanderson
    Businesses can and do have standards of dress for their customers. How often have we seen the "no shirt, no shoes, no service" sign. At Six Flags, I can't wear my shorts on the water rides and I can't wear my bathing suit without a cover on a roller coaster. There are restaurants that require ties. In those situations, we could expect someone to say something to us. It isn't a morality issue, it's decorum and politeness. If Southwest (with its employees as representatives) believes that her dress will make others uncomfortable, they have the right to ask (hopefully politely) that she cover up. Her reaction is akin to a person walking into someone else's home being asked to remove their shoes and getting angry because of the implication that their feet are dirty. And while her explanation of the heat explains why she wanted to dress the way she did outside, it doesn't even address that it was not 115 on the plane. She was sporting significant cleavage and was offended that it brought a negative reaction.
  • SHEENA ... Elizabe... 2012/06/20 01:32:44
    SHEENA SCHMIDT
    +1
    I think Soutwest will find more and more people ,taking other airlines, you know they are not the only airline,I get sick of people who are prudes,the dress code's are for most when you go out to dinner and its formal wear, nuts have taken it to far like they do with most things,the woman looked good and she is no young woman, what happend to if you got it falunt it.to PC for Southwest,and you do not have to look at the woman,
  • Elizabe... SHEENA ... 2012/06/21 19:39:05
    Elizabeth Sanderson
    You are right that they aren't the only airline. And I definitely agree that if their policies of any kind offend your sensibilities, you should definitely exercise your option not to fly with them. I don't agree however that all politeness is necessarily rooted in morality. Have you ever watched What Not to Wear? Tacky is tacky. Flaunting it is not always the most attractive option. A well dressed woman is always in style. My personal opinion is that it's not because she looked sexy that she got noticed but because she looked carny.
  • Harley 2012/06/20 00:07:58
    Harley
    +3
    It is no worse than see the guys walking around with their pant below their butt-cheeks! Oh and using a belt and hold them up and walking like a penguin!
  • Kitsune Touhou 2012/06/20 00:05:44
    Kitsune Touhou
    +1
    my god, who would make a comment about that in the first place?? -_-"
  • Edward 2012/06/20 00:03:14
    Edward
    +2
    The fight attendant appears to be Sharia enforcer or more likely jealous that the woman had a cleavage and she did not.
  • JohnT 2012/06/19 23:56:47
    JohnT
    +1
    After seeing various shots of guy awhile back getting on a SW plane in Arizona in what can only be described as blue satin underwear with a stretch blue top I would say no. I understand he is a big first class type passenger. Can we say discrimination.
  • Kay 2012/06/19 23:50:24
    Kay
    +3
    It's just cleavage!!! Big freakin' deal! It amazes me that someone would even be offended by a woman's rack anyway. It's just stupid! *sigh*
  • darcnite 2012/06/19 23:46:17
    darcnite
    +2
    Thats doin to much
  • ☠ Live Free Or Die ☠ 2012/06/19 23:44:24
    ☠ Live Free Or Die ☠
    +1
    Just because it's their plane doesn't mean we can't have an opinion.

They're just breasts for god's sake. If she was really that hot, though, she would've taken off the scarf and the flannel shirt....
  • Rebecca Schneider 2012/06/19 23:38:40
    Rebecca Schneider
    +3
    Southwest frequently overstep their bounds on who can or should fly their airline. If they want to be the morality police, they should work elsewhere. This woman's outfit is nothing out of line. I'll bet if some Hollywood type had tried to board in one of those see-through outfits, THAT would have been a-okay. I'd never fly them!
  • rawtruth 2012/06/19 23:38:15
    rawtruth
    too sexually explicit, of course if it is not to their likings they shouldn't observe
  • mamacrash 2012/06/19 23:29:33
    mamacrash
    +5
  • D S mamacrash 2012/06/19 23:39:15
    D S
    +2
    You are correct about the schools. I'm no longer aloud to park out front. ;)
  • John Wi... mamacrash 2012/06/20 11:32:23
    John Wilkinson
    Yes, having seen much more cleavage in the academy awards ceremony. Unlike maybe most men, I'm not interested in mammary glands on cows and women, and have wondered what is so attractive about such an unfortunate problem when they are large. Aggravating when trying to play tennis, golf, jogging, dancing, etc, they are such s nuisance.
  • ⚥Κόζμω ... John Wi... 2012/06/20 14:52:21
    ⚥Κόζμω Græme اليا Mongrain
    The Amazons of Yore would supposedly remove the right breast to make archery less painful. Also, Dolly parton was quoted that she didn't jog because of getting black eyes.
  • John Wi... ⚥Κόζμω ... 2012/06/21 22:08:49
  • olylift mamacrash 2012/06/21 07:56:50
    olylift
    They are a private company. They could have gone as far as saying she couldn't fly, and refunded her ticket.
  • Bruce 2012/06/19 23:25:48
    Bruce
    +3
    Unless there was something else along with this visual she wasn't naked enough for my money.
  • richard 2012/06/19 23:25:25

2014/10/23 03:57:22