Do you think less of a person if you find out he or she doesn't believe in God?

Tina 2012/12/13 19:30:42
Related Topics: God, Friends, Person, Friend
Reason I ask, someone was told they could never be friends after she discovered the person didn't believe.

• Red 2012/12/25 03:10:01
  • Merhabi Daham 2012/12/17 17:04:30
    Merhabi Daham
    I wouldn't ask, so the only way this could possibly come out is that they are trying to force their atheistic/agnostic views into places that really don't require any religious debate whatsoever. So, no, I couldn't be friends with that kind of person and would most definitely think less of them for their inability to keep their views to themselves/
  • Tina Merhabi... 2012/12/18 12:45:19 (edited)
    Tina
    The situation I talk about in the question topic she asked if the person was a Christian and he answered "no I'm was an atheist."
  • ghostrider 2012/12/17 05:00:59
    No, would not matter to me
    ghostrider
    +1
    ... but apparently it matters to some intolerant 'believers'.
  • Illjwamh 2012/12/16 10:42:17
    Illjwamh
    +1
    If anything, it would improve my opinion of them.
  • TXredhead 2012/12/15 21:06:07
    TXredhead
    +1
    I have compassion on that soul. At some point all knees will bow and tongues will confess, but the time to choose will be over and it will grieve my soul to know all those who were told but refused to believe. In the end, there are only two forces in the whole world, those who believe in Jesus the Son of God and those who are being held hostage to great deceiver.
  • Veritas 2012/12/15 18:49:08
    No, would not matter to me
    Veritas
    +1
    Heck, I wonder if they think less of ME because I believe!
  • charles nelson 2012/12/15 18:31:24
    No, would not matter to me
    charles nelson
    +1
    It might scare me, if maybe they weren't human.
  • impiety 2012/12/15 03:08:39
    No, would not matter to me
    impiety
    +1
    The belief in a deity doesn't make a person good or bad. Their actions and choices make them who they are. I'm in no place to judge anyone.
  • Jana~ una chica loca 2012/12/14 21:06:05
    Jana~ una chica loca
    +2
    I would think MORE of that person
  • HipJipC 2012/12/14 19:26:33
    No, would not matter to me
    HipJipC
    +1
    Doesn't matter if they believe in a God or not.
  • JGF 2012/12/14 17:22:18
    No, would not matter to me
    JGF
    +1
    If a "Christian" would not be friends with someone who didn't believe, they are not following the tenets of their own religion. Jesus spent his time in the streets among the prostitutes, moneylenders, etc. - not in the insular realm of a church.
  • Sweet-N-Sour 2012/12/14 16:07:40
    Sweet-N-Sour
    +1
    I wouldn't think less of them as a person, but I can't say it wouldn't bother me. For one thing, they are more likely to think less of me and assume I was stupid or backward or some other silliness simply because I refuse to see how "right" they are. Just look at the comments here.
  • impiety Sweet-N... 2012/12/15 03:10:13
    impiety
    I don't see it that way. To me the belief in a deity doesn't impact my life but as long you don't shove your religion down my throat we won't have problems lol.
  • Tina impiety 2012/12/15 12:30:40 (edited)
    Tina
    That is pretty much how it is in the real world, the person I write about in this question is an exception to the rule, usually everyone respects the others opinions and it's not really something we debate about. It's like politics, my parents think very differently than me about religion and politics but we try to stay away from both subjects, our love for each other is not affected by either.
  • Tina Sweet-N... 2012/12/15 12:25:20 (edited)
    Tina
    For the most part people I know in the real world don't behave as people on sodahead and other internet forums do, I have friends who don't believe and they never belittled me for believing and vice versa. There are exceptions of course like the person I speak about in this question
  • FearlessDangerousDeadShot 2012/12/14 15:56:28
    No, would not matter to me
    FearlessDangerousDeadShot
    +2
    It wouldn't matter to me at all. I don't really like religious people anyways.
  • Sweet-N... Fearles... 2012/12/14 16:00:02
    Sweet-N-Sour
    +1
    That's fine, but believing in God, or even a higher power, is not the same as religion. Just FYI.
  • Fearles... Sweet-N... 2012/12/14 16:03:19
    FearlessDangerousDeadShot
    +2
    I know, but it's mostly just Catholic and Christian people that I'm not very fond of. Not all of them, of course. And I do realize that not all religious people are horrible. I guess it just depends on your upbringing and environment.
  • Sweet-N... Fearles... 2012/12/14 16:38:08
    Sweet-N-Sour
    I gotcha. Just to be clear though, Catholics ARE Christian, in fact, they are the original Christian religion. Christianity, however, is a theosophy and not a religion at all. I'm not really sure what you mean by "horrible", I can only assume that you are talking about the fact that they do their best to not accept "sin" or moral decay of this world. Well, that is pretty much true of all theosophy based thought but for some reason people interpret that from Christians as being hateful and non-accepting of the individual, and that is not the case.
    For Christians, it really doesn't depend on upbringing and environment, it is growth in the teachings of Jesus that helps to rise above upbringing and environment. It is not easy and everyone is at a different stage in their personal journey. Mistakes are made because we are human. It's a hard road and we get called names and laughed at frequently. In some counties, we are killed simply for existing.
    Don't misunderstand me, I am in no way trying to convert you or make you see life my way, I'm just trying to give you a different perspective on your particular judgement call on Christians.
  • Fearles... Sweet-N... 2012/12/14 17:20:44
    FearlessDangerousDeadShot
    I see what you're saying and I understand. I also, agree with what you're saying and I thank you for the lesson on religion, and for proving me wrong. Please note that I'm not trying to be an ass when I say that. I really am thanking you. There's a lot of things I don't know yet and having this explained to me is very eye opening. And it may also have saved me from making some kind of argumentation mistake in the future.
  • Guru_T_Firefly 2012/12/14 15:09:12 (edited)
    Guru_T_Firefly
    +2
    No, I actually think a lot MORE of them if he or she is skeptical enough to disbelieve.
  • ♫♩♫ TNMUSICMAN ♭♯♮ 2012/12/14 14:35:04
    ♫♩♫ TNMUSICMAN ♭♯♮
    +1
    I don't think less of a person. I don't think more of a person. My very best friend does not view God the same way as I do but we've been best friends for 20 years in spite of it. Just because I believe whole heartedly in the Christian God it's not a reason for me to automatically think less of a person. Their actions determine how I think of them.
  • pantagruella 2012/12/14 14:05:28
    No, would not matter to me
    pantagruella
    +1
    Since my Uncle Ernie got run over by a lorry I haven't met anyone who did believe in God..
  • Steelshrt 2012/12/14 13:53:13
    No, would not matter to me
    Steelshrt
    +1
    That would make you or anyone a hypocrite.
  • Venus in Furs 2012/12/14 13:52:03
    No, would not matter to me
    Venus in Furs
    +1
    Honestly, I don't care what anyone's beliefs are so long as they don't hurt anyone else and so long as they don't try to shove them down my throat.
  • AM 2012/12/14 13:31:59
  • ♫♩♫ TNM... AM 2012/12/14 14:10:06
    ♫♩♫ TNMUSICMAN ♭♯♮
    +2
    There IS no purpose! American atheists say its to get the closet atheists out of the church pews (direct quote)! If the American atheist organization has the money to do this maybe their tax exempt status should be removed. They gripe that churches are tax exempt but then they reap the same benefits. This billboard serves NO purpose but to deride and mock Jesus.
  • AM ♫♩♫ TNM... 2012/12/14 14:43:58 (edited)
  • ♫♩♫ TNM... AM 2012/12/15 03:03:01
    ♫♩♫ TNMUSICMAN ♭♯♮
    +2
    I've asked that very question a number of times. I've also suggested they go to Iraq or Pakistan and start bad mouthing religion and see what happens. They seem to wish to (pardon the expression) suckle at the teet of American freedom in that respect.
  • TXredhead ♫♩♫ TNM... 2012/12/15 21:11:05
    TXredhead
    If they mock Mohammed this way, they would be killed.
  • ♫♩♫ TNM... TXredhead 2012/12/16 01:35:24
    ♫♩♫ TNMUSICMAN ♭♯♮
    Without a doubt!!
  • sue AM 2012/12/14 14:27:35
    sue
    There are some Atheist who want to force you to believe as they do, just as there are some Christian who insist their way is best. Most people of both beliefs are some where in the middle.
  • AM sue 2012/12/14 14:53:28
  • ♫♩♫ TNM... AM 2012/12/15 03:07:18
    ♫♩♫ TNMUSICMAN ♭♯♮
    Exactly! There are fundamentals on both sides for sure but I think the atheist position is clear when Dawkins said "religion doesn't deserve respect". You don't have to look too far on this very thread to see the evidence for that. Far be it for me to lump ALL non believers in to the same boat for that is not right and ill be the first to say not all atheists are created equal, just as all religious are not created equal.
  • Mr.Steve 2012/12/14 12:08:25
    No, would not matter to me
  • ivegotloveinmypants 2012/12/14 09:30:44
    No, would not matter to me
    ivegotloveinmypants
    +1
    What does it matter? I belive God exists- but I don't believe in him. People are allowed their own opinions about God.
  • Tina ivegotl... 2012/12/14 11:27:15
    Tina
    +1
    I agree
  • waterlady 2012/12/14 08:43:13
    No, would not matter to me
    waterlady
    +1
    We are all entitled to our own opinion. We have freedom of religion in America. We can't dislike someone because they are not like us. I would ask them, "Who or what created life here on earth?"

2014/11/23 09:56:42