Do you think it's time to end the tax exempt status of religious organizations?

Apollo ~PHAET 2012/06/01 02:22:16
anne rice

• Pat 2012/07/13 23:05:42
    +1
    Yes, when churches begin forming political action groups and try to impose their religious beliefs or mores on the rest of us, they jeopardize their non profit status. I would have no problem taxing churches and eliminating the deduction for contributions to religious organizations not primarily involved in charity work such as providing food, clothing and shelter to the poor.
  • sick'n'tired PWCM 2012/07/13 22:54:41
    sick'n'tired PWCM
    +1
    The mega wealthy churches are run as corporations, they invest money like corporations and should be taxed as a corporation.
  • Fef 2012/07/13 22:52:29
    Fef
    +1
    I think we need to reform the entire tax code. It rewards tax exempt non-profits like ACLU who persecute people of faith.
  • elptrek P.H.A.E.T.'s wizard 2012/06/03 07:10:43
    elptrek P.H.A.E.T.'s wizard
    +1
    They break the rules for their tax exempt, so they should pay the penalty.
  • Redneck 2012/06/01 04:59:12
    Redneck
    +1
    religious organizations, especially Christian organizations provide a lot of humanitarian relief that might not be as available if they have to pay taxes.
  • JohnT 2012/06/01 03:33:39
    JohnT
    +1
    Way past due, they need to pay their fair share like everyone else
  • Metaldane 2012/06/01 03:09:16
    Metaldane
    +1
    charities shouldn't be but the rest yea
  • bricklyn Metaldane 2012/06/01 03:59:34
    bricklyn
    +1
    There are many charities that give their staff exorbatant wages with CEO making millions of dollars per year.
  • Metaldane bricklyn 2012/06/01 04:19:40
    Metaldane
    +1
    I mean actual charities not corrupt ones
  • bricklyn Metaldane 2012/06/12 02:58:11
    bricklyn
    Which ones would thhose be?
  • Metaldane bricklyn 2012/06/12 04:30:04
    Metaldane
    Local shelters and charirties it's national sized groups that you have to watch for signs of corruption it's easier for it to happen within a large group.
  • bricklyn Metaldane 2012/06/12 04:32:46
    bricklyn
    Not really,there have been a number of clergy that have been convicted of embezzling fund out of small churches too. It goes on at all levels.
  • Metaldane bricklyn 2012/06/12 06:27:46
    Metaldane
    Iike I said charities not religious groups I don't count religious sponsored groups as actual charities it's not like they're not bias towards anyone.
  • Redneck Metaldane 2012/06/01 05:01:12
    Redneck
    churches are charities. every church i've been affiliated with gave to mission work which fed the poor, built homes, hospitals, orphaniges, and schools.
  • Metaldane Redneck 2012/06/01 05:18:05
    Metaldane
    +1
    They also do the same thing often and not all churches do that and often when they do they use it as an excuse to try spreading their faith
  • Redneck Metaldane 2012/06/01 05:24:08
    Redneck
    I wouldn't say an excuse to spread our faith, but a means to spread our faith. No one is going to listen to you if their belly is empty or they're cold and homeless. It is commanded of us to care for the poor, the real poor and to minister to them. The governement has never had a problem with evangalism in conjunction with charity.
  • Metaldane Redneck 2012/06/01 05:33:13
    Metaldane
    The government maybe not but I think it's sad I help out the poor all the time but don't try pushing my religion while doing it I just to do it to help not because my religion teaches it no offense just saying.
  • Redneck Metaldane 2012/06/01 12:53:57
    Redneck
    you say that your religion says to help the poor? that great, you're doing good. Christianity teaches that we are supposed to minister to the lost also. It's good to feed the poor, but wouldn't leading them to God so that they may be given eternal life be even better? We feed them whether they accept Christ or not, but we use charity just to get them to listen.
  • Metaldane Redneck 2012/06/01 15:40:13
    Metaldane
    No mine values hospitality we're hospitable to everyone no exceptions unless they're aholes or attack us we don't consider them "lost" just down on their luck it can happen to anyone. We also beleive everybody gets the afterlife they've earned it matters who they are not what god they worship we treat all religions equal to ours so it never comes up when we help people since it doesn't matter it'd be egotistical to act like its any better.
  • Redneck Metaldane 2012/06/02 23:04:37
    Redneck
    Well, we recognize the Bible as our guide and the Bible says otherwise. WE, don't consider any certain person a sinner, we are ALL sinners and have been or are still lost. Look, you have the right to worship what ever you want or nothing at all, though we all worship something. I recognize that, but I should be allowed to practice my faith as it requires me to practice it, which includes evangilizing. I'm not going to force it on you. If you don't want to hear it, I'll walk away and leave you in peace. You have the right to be wrong. About the "attacking" part, there are those who go about evangilism all wrong. You're not going to win souls by beating them over the head.
  • Metaldane Redneck 2012/06/02 23:12:45
    Metaldane
    Trust me I know your beliefs I have to deal with your kind all the time now please stop replying to my post no offense but I look at evangelists as scum so yea neither of us want this to go any farther.
  • Redneck Metaldane 2012/06/03 04:15:32
    Redneck
    Okay, ha e a good day.
  • bricklyn Redneck 2012/06/12 03:03:09
    bricklyn
    You are using rhetoric that is far from the actual truth. Chistianity has distroyed native cultures all over the planet doing misssionary work. It continues today and it is never with the consent of the people they are working with.
  • Redneck bricklyn 2012/06/12 03:06:04
    Redneck
    No, people have destroyed native cultures, though often by accident and often with the best of intentions.
  • bricklyn Redneck 2012/06/12 04:35:44
  • Redneck bricklyn 2012/06/12 05:01:52
    Redneck
    Like I said, people did that to the natives. Jesus said to minister to the lost, not enslave them. Men misconstrue the Word of God and use it for their own purpose.
  • bricklyn Redneck 2012/06/12 02:59:41 (edited)
    bricklyn
    If they were actually there to help, they should keep their religion to themselves. People need help not conversion.

Other nations DO have a problem with christianity and its violent methods of trying to solicity members.
  • Redneck bricklyn 2012/06/12 03:08:43
    Redneck
    Name one violent method that any Christian denomination uses today to "solicity" converts. You know absolutely nothing about Christian missionary work. More often than not, the reciepients don't convert, but they have been exposed to the Word of God and our obligation has been met. It's up to the person, you can't force them into a true conversion. Why do you hate Christianity so much?
  • bricklyn Redneck 2012/06/12 04:38:22
    bricklyn
    I guess you have not seen any of the work done in Africa.

The Northern Region of Ghana houses six “witches’ camps,” where women who are accused of witchcraft are detained and subject to inhumane treatment.
    Ghanaian leaders and civil society groups met in the nation’s capital, Accra, last week to develop a plan to abolish the witches’ camps in the northern region, where at least 1,000 women and 700 children who have been accused of sorcery are currently living in exile.
    An Indictment On The Conscience Of Our Society
    From The Christian Science Monitor:
    Deputy Minister for Women and Children’s Affairs Hajia Hawawu Boya Gariba said the ministry would be doing everything that it could to ensure the practice of families and neighbors banishing women from communities whom they suspected of being witches is abolished by developing legislation that would make it illegal to accuse someone of being a witch and gradually closing down camps and reintegrating women back into their communities.
    “This practice has become an indictment on the conscience of our society,” Ms. Gariba said at the conference called Towards Banning “Witches” Camps. “The labeling of some of our kinsmen and women as witches and wizards and banishing them into camps where they live in inhuman and deplorable conditions is a v...

From The Christian Science Monitor:
    “This practice has become an indictment on the conscience of our society,” Ms. Gariba said at the conference called Towards Banning “Witches” Camps. “The labeling of some of our kinsmen and women as witches and wizards and banishing them into camps where they live in inhuman and deplorable conditions is a violation of their fundamental human rights.”
    Many of the “witches” are elderly women who have been accused of inflicting death, misfortune and calamity on their neighbors and villages through sorcery, witchcraft or “juju,” a term used throughout West Africa. The “accused witches,” as they are sometimes referred to, live in tiny thatched mud huts, and have limited access to food and must fetch water from nearby streams and creeks.
    Forced To Flee
    An elderly woman named Bikamila Bagberi who has lived in Nabule witch camp in Gushegu a district in the Northern Region for the past 13 years, spoke at the conference about how she was forced to leave her village.
    Bagberi’s nephew, her brother-in-law’s son, had died unexpectedly and after the village soothsayer said she caused the death of the child her family tried make her confess to murdering him through sorcery. She said that when she refused she was beaten with an old bicycle chain, and later her nephew’s family members rubbed Ghanaian pepper sauce into her eyes and open wounds.
    When asked whether she could return back to her village she said the family couldn’t bring her back into the community because of the fear that she will harm others.

As In 17th Century England, So In 21st Century Ghana
    This tale reflects eerily many of the accounts of women hanged for witchcraft in England in the seventeenth century. An unusually bad harvest, the sighting of a raven near an old woman’s house, the unexpected death of a child, a smallpox outbreak, were all possible reasons to label a woman a “witch” and condemn her to death.
    In Ghana, innocence or guilt is determined by how a chicken dies; in England it was determined by tying a woman’s hands and feet together and tossing her into a river. If she sank, she was proclaimed innocent, but by then she was already dead. If she floated, she was proclaimed guilty and condemned to death.
    The idea that similar arbitrary reasoning still exists in the 21st century is both alarming and tragic.

Read more: http://www.care2.com/causes/w...
  • Redneck bricklyn 2012/06/12 05:02:59
    Redneck
    Done by men, not ordained by God.
  • bricklyn Redneck 2012/06/12 04:41:57
    bricklyn
    NAIROBI, Kenya — A Catholic nun has been sentenced to 30 years in jail for helping militias kill hundreds of people hiding in a hospital during Rwanda’s 1994 genocide, an official said Friday.

Theophister Mukakibibi was sentenced by a traditional gacaca court for helping Hutu militiamen to kill ethnic Tutsis seeking refuge from the slaughter in Butare hospital, where she worked.

“She was responsible for selecting Tutsis and would throw them out of the hospital and the militia would then kill them,” said Jean Baptiste Ndahumba, president of the local gacaca court in Butare town. “This nun was organizing people to be killed.” She was jailed Thursday.

She would also hold regular meetings with Hutu extremist groups and denied food to Tutsis hiding in the hospital, he said by telephone. About 20 people testified against her, he added.

In the massacre, 100,000 people were killed in the southeastern prefecture of Butare.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/1...
  • Redneck bricklyn 2012/06/12 05:04:18
    Redneck
    yep, how many instances just like this have been performed by members of other religions or athiests? Untold. Like I said, these acts are performed by man who has a free will to do good or evil.
  • bricklyn Redneck 2012/06/12 04:42:25
    bricklyn
    I do not hate, I simply tell the truth. Why do you hide from the truth????
  • Redneck bricklyn 2012/06/12 05:07:41 (edited)
    Redneck
    You're missing what I'm saying. Christianity never condones the activities you have mentioned. Evil men do. You find evil regardless of the religion or lack there of. You can find evil everywhere and within any group of people. Don't blame God or Christianity for the acts performed by evil people. That's like blaming 9/11 on God, God had nothing to do with that, evil men did. We have free will and have to choose our path. If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and walks like a duck, its a duck. You do hate.
  • bricklyn Redneck 2012/06/12 02:58:56
    bricklyn
    They are what I would qualify as corrupt charities. Most of their money goes right back to the church and not to actually helping people as they say they do.
  • Redneck bricklyn 2012/06/12 03:09:42
    Redneck
    That isn't my experiance, perhaps with some denominations, but not mine.
  • L1 2012/06/01 03:01:18
    L1
    +1
    I do, and it's about time.
  • zbacku 2012/06/01 02:43:03
    zbacku
    +1
    nope
    Every dollar give to the Church has already been taxed.
  • Apollo ... zbacku 2012/06/01 02:46:58
    Apollo ~PHAET
    +2
    *given.
  • bricklyn zbacku 2012/06/01 03:59:59

2014/10/24 16:15:53