Do you think it is right when Soda Head Management creates a poll that is biased?

ANGEL 2012/07/17 14:32:10
It doesn't matter that they are Management - they can do what they want.
Since they are Management they should not be so biased.
They should at least provide more options.
Other thoughts...
I think that Soda Head Management has an obligation to maintain neutrality. I have no problems if they create a poll on a topic they know will result in a great deal of debate. But when they create a poll, limit the options, and word it in such a way that they know will influence votes - I think they have crossed the line.

Recently they created a poll penning 2 religions against each other - pretty much asking, which religion is the better option. Which religions were being targeted is not the issue (It could have been Christianity vs. Judaism vs. Scientology vs. Wicca.) Which religions is not the issue. The point is that they only provided 2 options - Choose Religion X or Religion Y.

I found that poll highly offensive – particularly because it was created by Soda Head Management. Shouldn’t Management be at least somewhat unbiased? This poll in particular was rigged in such a way that it would fall in favor of one group - knowing that the other group had only a minority of members on Sodahead. Management has that information – having access to profiles that are hidden from the public.

The way this poll was created, with only 2 options, also made it impossible for other groups to even have a voice. They obviously didn't want Atheists or Agnostics to have a voice. If an Atheist wanted to respond - they were forced to select an option supportive of one religion or the other. Being that Atheists don't believe in any religion - I find this tactic to be particularly offensive. And by only providing 2 options, they were making members of other religions choose in favor of the religion the pollster obviously favored. I think it was intentionally rigged that way and I find that to be highly offensive and unethical that they would have created a poll so tainted.

I reported it as "abuse" and while I expect that they will ignore the complaint - I did ask for the courtesy of a response.

What do you think is the role of Sodahead Management when it comes to creating their own polls? Should the poll provide equality to both ends of the debate, or do you think it is OK for them to post a poll that is obviously biased and offers so few options that will obviously sway the votes?

NOTE: THIS IS NOT A POLL TO BASH ANY ONE RELIGION OR GROUP. PLEASE DO NOT USE MY POLLS AS A PLATFORM TO DO SO. I ALWAYS TRY TO RESPECT THE REQUEST OF THE POLLSTER AND LIMIT MY RESPONSES TO THE POLL QUESTION. I RESPECTFULLY REQUEST THAT YOU DO THE SAME.

THANK YOU
ANGEL

• Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of ... 2012/07/17 16:11:44 (edited)
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +7
    Being bias while managing a site isn't bright or productive. You lose more people who get feed up, and if the staff doesn't behave better than the people who log in daily; it's a problem. The most popular sites usually have management that is unbiased whether they agree with a certain group/ideology or not.

• gocar 2012/07/19 22:21:41
    Other thoughts...
    gocar
    I did not know they did.
  • OnyxRaven 2012/07/18 10:43:06
    OnyxRaven
    +2
    I for one was appalled when I read the poll that you are referring to, Sodahead is filled with many people from many different walks of life - people from various countries, cultures and religions. For Sodahead management to let their bias come into their job and post a poll containing such bias is disgusting. Not only was the poll quite misleading to those who aren't well informed about both religions, but it was disrespectful to those of the two religions. Religion is a very private and personal thing that so many people feel strongly about, posting a poll asking people to choose between two religions was just a recipe for disaster and a very quick way to offend many people.
    Sodahead management should be ashamed of their actions! That poll (and any other management-created polls like it) should be deleted immediately and I think that an apology to both religions is in order.
    ashamed actions poll management-created polls deleted immediately apology religions order
  • Arianne 2012/07/18 08:46:17
    Arianne
    +2
    I think I know what this poll is and I fully agree. They could have provided different options, or at least placed an "other" option. And becuase of that I had to choose a side when my actual answer was along the lines of: go to the one with better education.
  • PetrifiedElephantPoop 2012/07/17 19:47:19
    Other thoughts...
    PetrifiedElephantPoop
    +4
    Well written....and a proper concern.
  • ANGEL Petrifi... 2012/07/18 02:50:56
    ANGEL
    +1
    Thank you, Sir!
  • Magical 2012/07/17 18:22:49
    Magical
    +2
    Being management with a large population from diverse backgrounds, beliefs, etc., I think they should not be biased and make attempts to post polls that present the issues from both sides, equitably. It would also be a smarter business move as it would attract a more diverse clientele.
  • Melizmatic Magical 2012/07/18 05:56:04
    Melizmatic
    +1
    That makes WAY too much sense.

The owner seems to being trying to balance making money with an inexplicable desire to be one of the 'cool kids', and in doing so he narrows the scope of potential membership.
  • Magical Melizmatic 2012/07/18 16:33:18
    Magical
    +2
    Sorry - I didn't mean to make too much sense (LOL). I've been accused of that before. When will I ever learn????!!!!
  • Radical Ed 2012/07/17 17:56:00 (edited)
    Other thoughts...
    Radical Ed
    +1
    i would consider sodahead management like the state. they should keep themselves separate from religion and leave that to the people.

edit: typo.
  • Melizmatic Radical Ed 2012/07/17 18:16:29
    Melizmatic
    +2
    Except that's not what they do here, at all.
  • Radical Ed Melizmatic 2012/07/17 18:23:42
    Radical Ed
    +2
    forgot to add the "should" xD
  • Melizmatic Radical Ed 2012/07/17 18:25:40
  • Zuggi 2012/07/17 17:44:34
    Other thoughts...
    Zuggi
    Which poll are you discussing?
  • Melizmatic Zuggi 2012/07/17 18:16:06
    Melizmatic
    +2
    Pick one; a good majority of site generated questions are 'slanted'...
  • Zuggi Melizmatic 2012/07/17 19:08:03
    Zuggi
    +2
    Well, I'll guess it was one of the Scientology ones.
  • Fran 2012/07/17 17:27:57
    Other thoughts...
    Fran
    +2
    No offense to SH but I think you're giving them too much credit. They may not be bright enough or put much thought into their polls.
  • Captain Kirk~POTL 2012/07/17 17:11:52
    Captain Kirk~POTL
    +2
    Definitely NOT!!
  • Nameless 2012/07/17 16:35:35
    Nameless
    +3
    I think that everyone who creates a poll should stop posting such garbage that is so biased. If you have an opinion, you are free to just state it and have people respond. (Well, you are free to post any garbage you wish but that is part of the issue, imo.) Posting things that are biased, no matter the foundational stance of the people posting, is just indicative of one of two things: silliness or stupidity. Sometimes it's difficult to tell. There are some people here who do it and I've come to recognize their humor... All-in-all, though, I'd rather have an honest poll and reasoned discussions.
  • darlenedoskas1969 2012/07/17 16:23:44
    darlenedoskas1969
    +2
    there should always be at least an "other" option
  • Gloria 2012/07/17 16:19:00
    Gloria
    +1
    I prefer more options but it's not my site.
  • Flowers 2012/07/17 16:12:22
    Flowers
    +1
    But like any other poll we all have the option to not answer the question.
  • ANGEL Flowers 2012/07/17 16:28:32
    ANGEL
    +2
    Very true.
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +7
  • ANGEL Latti I... 2012/07/17 16:29:17
    ANGEL
    +4
    Excellent points! animated applause
  • Latti I... ANGEL 2012/07/17 16:30:59
  • ANGEL Latti I... 2012/07/17 16:33:51
    ANGEL
    +2
    animated welcome

PS: I may be quite critical of SH Management with regards to the biased polls - but I love the animated pictures. Makes things fun and a lot less serious!
  • Melizmatic Latti I... 2012/07/17 16:34:07
  • ANGEL Melizmatic 2012/07/17 16:35:44
    ANGEL
    +2
    I was going to post another picture of a "thumbs up" to your "Thumbs up", but I thought it might be getting a bit ridiculous. I gave you an 'up rave' which is the same thing and takes up less space. LOL
  • Melizmatic ANGEL 2012/07/17 16:39:22 (edited)
    Melizmatic
    +3
    *lolz!

You're on point, of course; as is Latti.

That's what KEEPS this site third rate, IMO; the total lack of impartiality and equanimity...
  • Latti I... Melizmatic 2012/07/17 16:37:36
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +2
    :-) Thanks
  • clasact 2012/07/17 16:06:07
    clasact
    +2
    but they are management and have the right to do as they want just as you have the right not to answer it
  • Melizmatic clasact 2012/07/17 16:36:00
    Melizmatic
    +3
    They do, and we do.

But in the end, management acting no better than the members only impedes the overall success of the site.

You never see Zuckerberg posting 'hate and bait' threads...
  • clasact Melizmatic 2012/07/17 19:22:25
    clasact
    but if you dont like it just dont answer it,that easy
  • Melizmatic clasact 2012/07/17 19:29:07
    Melizmatic
    +1
    I didn't disagree with that part.

However, my personal choice to not answer intentionally biased questions in no way negates the management's responsibility for posting them.

For instance; at the start of OWS movement, the OWNER of this site himself posted an incendiary question, asking people 'how much they'd pay to mace protestors.'

Such a post is a flagrant violation of the TOS, and it stayed up for quite some time... until someone with some sense finally realized that if some loon actually went and DID mace a protestor, then stated that they got the idea from here, that SH could be seen as engaging in criminal solicitation.
  • clasact Melizmatic 2012/07/17 20:40:22
    clasact
    see now the last part is relavent because they could have been held legaly responsible so someone with a brain saw it and took it down but if the question can not get them in any legal trouble they can post what they want .This is a free site and being so they have to answer to no one on here,if we were paying it would be different.I have seen many questions posted by people on here that are totally bias and one sided ,I dont like it but I just delet them
  • Melizmatic clasact 2012/07/17 20:55:08
    Melizmatic
    Dude...

Spell check, capitalization and punctuation are your friends.
  • Nameless clasact 2012/07/17 16:42:30
    Nameless
    +2
    I raved you and shouldn't have... The initial answer about being management is correct. However, because they ARE management, the have an obligation and responsibility to NOT post biased polls.
  • clasact Nameless 2012/07/17 19:24:19
    clasact
    they dont charge for this so they have no obligation or responsibility to do anything .if this was a pay site that would be a valid point but its not
  • Nameless clasact 2012/07/17 19:34:55
    Nameless
    +3
    Being a no-pay site means they have even MORE of an obligation and responsibility to be un-biased if they want to be viewed as legitimate. One should be the best and most ethical one can be pay or not.
  • clasact Nameless 2012/07/17 20:42:51
    clasact
    not so being a free site gives them the right to say and do almost as they want and if those on it dont like their actions they can leave but as a pay site they would have responsibillities to those who have paid or refund their money

2014/11/24 21:33:13