Do You Think Gas Ratings at the Pump Really Matter?

SodaHead Living 2013/01/30 00:29:22
It looks like SodaHeads love a good, economically efficient gas pump! A few days ago, we asked what kind of gas you typically fill your car with -- and a strong 68 percent voted that they get the cheapest stuff, i.e. Unleaded (87). Maybe most of you have cars that don't require a "Premium" pump... or maybe you do and you just don't think it really matters.

So now we're curious! Do you think different gas ratings at the pump are just a scam? Or do you think there is a real difference between getting an "Unleaded" grade of gas versus a "Premium" one?

Read More: http://www.automotive.com/features/car-maintenance...

• Fef 2013/01/30 00:32:14
    Yes, they definitely matter!
    Fef
    +6
    The video helped explain whether or not to use higher octane in cars that don't need it.

• MikeWon 2013/02/20 17:26:32
    Yes, they definitely matter!
    MikeWon
    Usually premium has the higher octane rating & some have additives for more efficient fuel effectiveness & engine protecting refinements. F1 drivers & F-15 pilots don't fill up without premium!   neither do we
  • KEYPINITREEL 2013/02/15 20:58:16 (edited)
    No, I think it's all a scam!
    KEYPINITREEL
    I think its a scam because even though the ratings are legitimate, the majority of cars on the road run fine with 87 grade fuel.
  • Dion Pr... KEYPINI... 2013/02/20 00:28:48
    Dion Prince
    +1
    the 89 and 93 octane is for vehicles whos model require it, such as high end cars and vehicles with Turbo and superchargers
    the owners manual well tell the owner if it is required to use Premium Gasoline it normally will also say it on the gas door.
    but typically, only cars that are over 20 year old and you hear knocking from the engine will you need to upgrade to 89 or 93 octane

also most cars under $30k brand new will run on regular unleaded where as the luxury and ultra sports cars are require to use premium gas. (also using regular gas could possibly void the warranty)
  • Jinx1993 2013/02/14 06:42:05
    No, I think it's all a scam!
    Jinx1993
    it wouldnt let me change to yes. but yes you would be spending more for octane booster than you would if you were paying 20 cents more for premium in ten gallons of gas to last your car a week, in example. i know octane boost runs around 5 dollars for the decent brands and thats only made to treat ten gallons. the differential in price between unleaded and 93 octane is usually 20 cents. for ten gallons of gas thats only a 2 dollar difference you would be paying to get premium instead of unleaded. id save myself the 3 dollars and just get an extra gallon of premium than buy octane boost. most cars cant handle so much of the additives in high quality gas, and can corrode and ruin your engine much quicker. its made for racing motors originally, but i still know people who do put premium in their stock honda civics.
  • Quazimoto 2013/02/08 13:47:00
    Yes, they definitely matter!
    Quazimoto
    +1
    You need to use the octane that is recommended for your vehicles engine. If you use a higher or lower octane on a long term basis can do damage to your engine in the long run. The same thing applies with the amount of ethanol that is in the gas.
  • maryam 2013/02/07 08:01:56
    Yes, they definitely matter!
    maryam
    yes it matters alot
  • ProVega 2013/02/05 06:51:51
    Yes, they definitely matter!
    ProVega
    Try operating my Vega on anything but the highest of octane.
  • Sid DaBunneh 2013/02/04 13:46:25
    Yes, they definitely matter!
    Sid DaBunneh
    Most of the time they matter. There was a couple of Sunoco stations rigging the system in NYC, but they paid a hefty fine when they were caught. Octane seems to make a big difference whenever I fill up. One thing I was told, use lower octane when driving in hilly and mountainous areas. They claim it burns better.
  • LouOlson 2013/02/02 19:27:39
    Yes, they definitely matter!
    LouOlson
    why do we ship off the oil that we find in the US to other countries? that seems counter intuitive... less you want to turn a decent profit. damn exon mobil.
  • Jim LouOlson 2013/02/03 00:13:23 (edited)
    Jim
    The reason we ship the oil to other countries is because that's one of many ways we secure the credit to borrow from foreign central banks. Not only that, we have allowed our domestic refining capacity to decline due to EPA regulations, inability to keep them running, and 40 years of deindustrialization.

We send out crude oil to our creditors, who then refine and ship the refined products back to us, because we are Debt Slaves. Sure, it would be nice to refine our own gasoline but, in order to keep our creditors happy, we pay them to refine and ship it back.

BTW, almost 98% of ALL merchant shipping going in and out of U.S. ports is done with foreign-flagged and foreign-owned fleets. Which includes oil, LPG, and gasoline/diesel fuel tankers. The shipping fees we pay also make our creditors happy.
  • LouOlson Jim 2013/02/03 00:44:33
    LouOlson
    well balls.
  • calvin236 2013/02/02 16:55:40
    Yes, they definitely matter!
    calvin236
    To your wallet they matter. I think that different gas stations, premium gas prices may be better at some, and worse at others. I don't pick anything other than unleaded very often.
  • Elz 2013/02/02 15:40:21
    Yes, they definitely matter!
    Elz
    because gas is high anyways and people are going to really need that for their cars. i see why people complain.
  • JessDeCristo 2013/02/02 13:26:53
    Yes, they definitely matter!
    JessDeCristo
    Absolutely. Gas to the motor vehicles=what water is to the human being.
    Clean fresh water is a necessity of life, so is the adequate fuel to the vehicles.
  • westernslope~PWCM~JLA 2013/02/02 12:23:55
    Yes, they definitely matter!
    westernslope~PWCM~JLA
    +3
    some cars do require more than 87, check the owner's manual
  • Winry 2013/02/02 07:58:10
    Yes, they definitely matter!
    Winry
    so you would know stuffs right?
  • MentalGopher 2013/02/02 03:50:54
    Yes, they definitely matter!
    MentalGopher
    +1
    Did you not watch the video you posted on your previous question regarding octane grades? SMH!
  • littlebuffalo55TBA 2013/02/02 00:55:22
    I'm not sure
    littlebuffalo55TBA
    +1
    Very poorly written question! Engines are in fact designed to run on different octanes. Typically higher compression engines require higher octane. It does matter and many engineers spent time in using these formulas in what they are trying to achieve in an engines overall performance. ALL gas at modern pumps is unleaded. The octane rating has not a thing to do with it! Lol!
  • Jim 2013/02/02 00:20:34
    I'm not sure
    Jim
    +3
    The question is all wrong. What it should be is, "Are you getting the value and octane you're paying for?"

The answer is NO! Almost without exception, pricing is evenly spaced while the octane purchased is not. If your car is not doing well on the 87 rotgut, the 89 junk is barely better but, the price difference is way out of line for what you buy. That forces you to buy the 93 Octane, which is often more than what you need. BTW, it only costs about 5 cents per gallon more to raise the octane from 87 to 93.

The 89 trash was created to ostensibly replace the old 89 leaded Regular. The Regular leaded 89 was better than any of the trash being sold now! I'd like to see the FTC tell the oil companies to either adjust the price difference to truly reflect what you're getting or sell a true mid-grade, like 90 or 90.5 octane, if they are going to price gas the way they do.
  • Its Me, Joel 2013/02/01 21:39:02
    Yes, they definitely matter!
    Its Me, Joel
    BUT...The bottom grade here in NM is 85 octane, and MOST auto's run fine on it in this higher altitude.
  • Donna Stiles 2013/02/01 19:40:01
    Yes, they definitely matter!
    Donna Stiles
    Mileage is better for me on the higher octane. Butsome how I got out of the habit of buying the mod grade.
  • mennosdad 2013/02/01 18:52:44
    No, I think it's all a scam!
    mennosdad
    In the past i would change my fuel filters once a year. Now I am changing them three times a year. When I blow the filter out it contains what looks like mud. My fuel tank is clean with no sediment in it. I have tried high grade and still have to change filters three times a year. As the price of fuel goes up, the quality goes down. So yes it is a scam.
  • Vic F 2013/02/01 17:24:54
    No, I think it's all a scam!
    Vic F
    +1
    if you tune up your car and keep it maintained, you can put in basic most of the time and then just add the additives from the auto stores fuel boost additives
  • Nonpart... Vic F 2013/02/01 18:49:17
    Nonpartisan
    That AMSOIL® Cetane Boost, in your graphic, is Great stuff. I use it in my Diesel along with the AMSOIL® Diesel Additives which keeps my fuel Injection system clean well lubricated and running like new. I have found that the AMSOIL® PI is the most effective, and least costly, fuel additive to use in my Gasoline Vehicles also for the same purpose. Just straight Gasoline or Diesel Fuel from the pump at the station just do not do the job well enough.
  • whipnet 2013/02/01 15:09:15
    Yes, they definitely matter!
    whipnet
    +2
    If I put low octane gas into my sports car it knocks. Super, it does not. So there is some kind of difference.

On a side note, Most gasoline in this country is refined just miles away from me.

*
  • Carlo whipnet 2013/02/03 01:56:58
    Carlo
    +1
    Too damn bad they dont cut you a better price for not having to transport it very far.
  • idontknowu udontknowme 2013/02/01 14:36:19
    I'm not sure
    idontknowu udontknowme
    +1
    but they r always tryin to scam people so............
  • Carlo 2013/02/01 14:20:58 (edited)
    Yes, they definitely matter!
    Carlo
    +1
    If you drive a vehicle that needs it for optimum performance. What they dont tell you is most vehicles made in America dont need it. The only reason we have the higher grades is because there is a buck to be made and all the foreign luxury cars need it to run well.
  • LawMan5150 2013/02/01 08:01:43
    No, I think it's all a scam!
    LawMan5150
    +1
    I drove from Nor CA to San Diego on regular gas and drove back on premium with two bottles of 104+ octane booster in the tank. I got the exact same MPG both ways. Consumer reports states that almost every car is designed for the cheap stuff and you are just wasting your money on premium.
  • debhead 2013/02/01 06:32:24
    Yes, they definitely matter!
    debhead
    +1
    There is a difference in the gas but I still get the cheap stuff.
  • DICK 2013/02/01 05:21:24
    No, I think it's all a scam!
    DICK
    +1
    ALL YOU HEAR IS THERE A OIL SHORTAGE, AND OUR RELYENCE ON MIDDLE EAST,YOUR TOLD WHAT THEY WANT YOU TO KNOW.SO SCREW EM GREED HAS THEM BY THE B-LL'S, DO THEY REALLY THINK THIS OLD NEW'S IS GONE.IF THE GOVERMENT LET'S IT HAPPEN, IT'S A FUC-KEN JOKE, LIKE EVERY ELSE HAPPY F-CKEN NEW YEAR . GREED IT'S A 40 MILLION YEAR INSTINCT, AND YOU G0T THESE A-S HOLE'S TO PROVE IT.WAKE UP WERE NOT IN KANSAS ANY MORE.
  • Carlo DICK 2013/02/01 14:28:36
    Carlo
    +1
    You can stand on a box and scream it as loud as you want and these people wont wake up until its too late and revolution is the only way we will invade 740 park avenue.
  • republican! 2013/02/01 04:42:01
    I'm not sure
    republican!
    +1
    i couldn't really tell what the question was saying, my bad
  • Nonpartisan 2013/02/01 04:35:56 (edited)
    Yes, they definitely matter!
    Nonpartisan
    +1
    The video is not completely correct. The computer which runs nearly all vehicles which have been built in the last 20 years will detect the lower octane fuel when it is put into a vehicle which is labeled to run on high octane fuel. When this happens the computer will automatically "detune" the engine so that it will not knock. When this happens, you will, however; get worse performance and worse fuel economy. If a modern vehicle does detect a knock in the engine the vehicles computer should turn on the check engine light and any time that light comes on you should have it read and fix the problem or you do risk engine damage.

If you have an older vehicle where the computer does not adjust anything based on the octane of the fuel being used, you should use the fuel the manufacture of the vehicle recommends. In general you should always use the lowest octane fuel unless the vehicle manufacturer tells you otherwise. If you use the high octane fuel in a vehicle which does not need it you are wasting your money.

If you are using the grade of fuel which the manufacturer of your vehicle recommends, and your vehicle does knock, do not just use high octane fuel. Get your vehicle fixed, because there is something wrong with it, and it can usually be fixed quickly and cheaply. Fixing ...

If you are using the grade of fuel which the manufacturer of your vehicle recommends, and your vehicle does knock, do not just use high octane fuel. Get your vehicle fixed, because there is something wrong with it, and it can usually be fixed quickly and cheaply. Fixing a malfunctioning vehicle will generally cost much less over time than continuing to ignore the problem and continuing to use more expensive fuel.

One last point. ALL vehicles, especially the newest ones with the ultra tiny holes in the fuel injectors should use a high quality fuel additive to keep the injectors clean and giving a good spray pattern. This helps keep your Fuel Economy as high as possible, and prevents hard starting and other problems caused by dirty Injectors. This advice applies to both Gasoline and Diesel engines, and any fuel additives you should chose should NOT have alcohol in them which can cause other problems. I use AMSOIL® Products, which from my experience cost less to use and do a better job than anything else, however; it is your vehicle so you are free to chose whatever you want, you do not have to take any of my advise.
  • Carlo Nonpart... 2013/02/01 14:32:08
    Carlo
    +1
    Well put.
  • Carlo Nonpart... 2013/02/02 19:25:20 (edited)
    Carlo
    +1
    Also if you can find gas "without" ethanol near where you live, which is hard to find, it's better to run that always than the alcohol based stuff being sold today. Your fuel pump, valves, pistons and engine walls will thank you.
  • Nonpart... Carlo 2013/02/02 21:50:49
    Nonpartisan
    +1
    Yes, thank you, I know all about the problems with all kinds of alcohol in all kinds of fuel. I worked for the US EPA for over 30 years and have a lot of professional experience in that area, which is one reason why I support the use of AMSOIL® Products including their Fuel Additives which contain no alcohol. The other problem with alcohol which we had a lot of experience with at EPA is that a gallon of alcohol has much less energy in it than a gallon of gasoline or Diesel Fuel and therefore when you have any significant quantity of alcohol in your fuel you will get decreased fuel economy, sometimes very significantly reduced fuel economy. The only place where I normally travel where alcohol is always in the fuel is Nevada, fortunately; I can get alcohol free fuel most places in Michigan.
  • Carlo Nonpart... 2013/02/02 22:31:33 (edited)
    Carlo
    Hey I lived in Saginaw from Cali when the wop side my dad decided to move back there where he's from, in my senior year in High School. I loved the people there, they were the kind of people you could be friends with for life. I really feel for the folks there and how the economy has affected them. Looks like the big corporations again. Kid Rock's songs remind me a lot of that time.

Yeah it figures, the coalition with the politicians and big oil would be able to get away with screwing us on the fuel and charge us more and more for it over time, what’s new right.
    It’s good to have someone of you stature on this site able to inform the public of the kinds of things our government has been up to over the years. Of course I mean at your own discretion.

I have only found one station that has ethanol free gas, but it’s by my house so it works real well. Nevada, you might be lucky that’s all you get there. I have a business as a mobile auto mechanic and ever since they put ethanol in the fuel my business has become about 50% fuel pumps, some only a few years old.
    I had one in 2008 that was a 2007 Mercedes luxury sports model. This guy calls me up in a panic and I wasn’t far, so I went to the restaurant he was at, a business man which I told I would need a CD just to diagnosis it and ...

I had one in 2008 that was a 2007 Mercedes luxury sports model. This guy calls me up in a panic and I wasn’t far, so I went to the restaurant he was at, a business man which I told I would need a CD just to diagnosis it and was about a $100 to buy one at the dealer far away, but since it was so freak of a situation in a car that you would think nothing could go wrong with, that well made and that new. I don’t think the car belonged to him either. So I went and grabbed a mallet and wrapped on his gas tank, bingo it started. And I think he promised to name his next kid after me. lol

I have heard of AMSOIL (hey where did you get that (R) jk) for synthetic oils. I try not to recommend anything in a can to my customers to keep them from putting in a lot of the junk stuff out there, thinking there might be a cure in a can instead of calling me, but coming from you I should take a look at it. Best place is online?

What is your opinion on a small amount of denatured alcohol once and a while to clean the valves and injectors, bad or real bad?
    It’s because the ethanol is bio based from corn, which isn't a petroleum product that gums up the pumps, right?
    What I notice is this reddish hazy film all throughout the tank when I pull them a lot of the time, but others look pretty good, but still have the pumps fail prematurely.
    It’s probably just the difference between premium and regular. At first I thought the correlation between this film and the failed pumps was from possibly independent stations, as most failures have this film, but only a small percentage of people bought gas from the small independent stations. Most were buying from the big oil companies, but I think a couple did say they were running premium, now that I think about it. Any time I have bought from those independents my vehicle ran sluggish it seemed. Very rarely do I find water either. I guess the ethanol takes care of that.

Matter of fact my girlfriend had a pump fail with a bunch of sand and gravel she pumped from a station that must have had bad tanks and she got there right after they filled them. You would think they would have a strainer in their pumps. They probably do, but course ones. Some of it was fine enough to get past the filter on her pump and she didn’t have any enemies that she knew of. lol

I have one last question to pick your brain with. What does non-photo chemically reactive mean? Is it that it’s not susceptible to spontaneous combustion? That's a total guess, as I read it on a lot on different solvents and thinners.
  • scarfy 2013/02/01 03:45:49 (edited)
    I'm not sure
    scarfy
    I meant yes. Need mid-grade or the damn thing knocks.
  • barby karring 2013/02/01 02:41:49 (edited)
    Yes, they definitely matter!
    barby karring
    Only feed your car what the manufacturer recommend' it helps protect the car, get you great milage, saves you the headache of tune-ups before they're due because of carbon buildup on plugs causing misfirings and stalled startups'
    They're making cars sensitive just like humans these days :))

2014/04/19 09:36:31