Do you think a person should make arrangements & pay for their funeral & burial in advance?

Pekins 2007/07/17 08:24:49
Many people are opting to make arrangements & pay in advance for their own funerals & burials. This takes the emotional burden of making these decisions off their loved ones. It also takes away the financial burdens as well.

• Daryl 2007/07/17 16:59:38
    Daryl
    +8
    I had to plan, pay for and arrange my father's funeral and memorial service.

This was a lot of trouble at a difficult time.

You owe it to your family to (when possible) have these plans in effect.

• 아만다 ♥ AMANDA 2009/02/12 20:40:56
    아만다 ♥ AMANDA
    I wouldn't want to put all that trouble on my family and I wouldn't want my family put that kind of trouble onto me. So... yes.
  • Roxie 2008/04/06 20:43:28
    Roxie
    It's a great idea and saves others the worry.
  • KGW 2007/11/02 22:01:47 (edited)
  • Nana 2007/11/02 10:23:48
    Nana
    It depends. If you're old and ready for popping your clogs then maybe you aught to think about it. However if you're young, unless you have an illness then you're not expecting to go so soon so you wouldn't really be thinking about funeral arrangements.xC
  • Yes
    MIZ®  ₱д₸Ɽ¡Ö₸ ₩дⱤⱤ¡ÖⱤ   †
    +1
    And we have alot of work to do! I'm so glad that Debra mentioned to make sure that loved ones can be involved and not feel totally left out. My kids already think of me as Ms. Dictator enough as it is! hehe
  • NICKI70 2007/10/21 06:17:37
    NICKI70
    +1
    When we lost my mom this was a tough thing for my dad to do ,my mother thought it was part of our healing.No way nowmy dad refuses todo it for us girls,but the joke is on him I already did it.
  • mslsa2u 2007/09/16 00:42:49
    mslsa2u
    +2
    Your family already has to be burden down with the grief and hurt of loosing you. Why not. It would be one less thing for them to have to deal with.
  • MissPick 2007/09/12 03:58:37
    MissPick
    +1
    My husband and I have money set aside for our daughters to use for our cremations and urns. I don't want to know where my final resting place is! How creepy is that?? I don't want to plan for the day I die! I want to plan my next vacation; my next dinner party; my next barbecue; my youngest daughters wedding; holidays; birthdays; and all the things LIFE has to offer. When I'm dead, it's over! I don't want to know about it ahead of time! Yechhhhhhhh!
  • Spider20 2007/08/30 04:21:06
    Spider20
    +1
    It sure would help ease the load on the surviving family members....and avoid the occasional possibility of hard feelings developing......been there, seen that....don't like it and don't want it to happen when I pass on....
  • John 2007/08/24 20:34:03
    John
    +1
    I think life insurance is also another good way to go, because on top of funeral expenses, you can actually leave your family just a little bit more to help them get through the tough times..
  • shiela33 2007/08/23 04:45:04
  • Hola 2007/08/15 23:37:42
    Hola
    +4
    People don't seem to see the importance of this matter. It is very depressing to see families arranging car washes or fund raisers to pay for the funeral expenses. You owe it to your family to be prepared and save money. A lot of people do not accept this reality but it is something that all families should be prepared for because you never know when it is your time to go...
  • Magzilla 2007/08/02 04:10:07
    Magzilla
    +2
    It is such a burden on the family to take care of. I feel if you really love your family you would do this for them.
  • <--That guy 2007/08/01 15:38:18
    <--That guy
    +2
    I'd pay for my own. There's no sense in leaving my dead ass around for my family to worry about
  • Pat 2007/07/28 20:44:07
    +3
    It is so much easier on our loved ones and actually less expensive this way. When people are grieving they will sometimes over spend because they feel guilty about getting a less expensive casket, etc. You can go to a funeral home, plan the funeral entirely and the money goes into a special savings in both your name and the funeral homes name. That way, even if prices go up, the interest will cover the difference.
    We planned and paid for my mother-in-laws funeral 10 yrs. before the fact. My father planned his and put aside the money for it. He started planning 20 yrs. before his death. We knew exactly what he wanted done and did it. We had a wonderful celebration of his life and it made the whole process easier. We have already talked to our daughters about what we are doing.
  • True~Male 2007/07/21 00:45:01
    True~Male
    +1
    I "LL GET CREMATED --THATS MUCH CHEAPER
  • becky 2007/07/18 00:41:08
    becky
    +2
    I think it's unfair to have a list of things you want done when you die and leave it to the ones you left behind to fund it. Death usually occurs unexpectedly and not too many people have 6k or more on hand to be put in the ground. If no money is left behind and I don't have it to give then my loved ones are being cremated.
  • MAGGIE ... becky 2007/07/26 21:45:30
    MAGGIE IRISH EYES
    10k is more like it. My kids just buried their father and it was 10k plus.
  • #1Misty 2007/07/17 19:41:21
    #1Misty
    And make sure you are locked in to the prices-- you get everything you have paid for. If a person can afford to do this, then by all means go for it.
  • John 2007/07/17 18:21:08
    John
    Let their family worry about the wooden box in the back yard!
  • kitkat 2007/07/17 17:05:11
    kitkat
    It would be nice but most of the time some of the insurance money is needed to pay for the funeral. If the person has the means to plan and pay for everything ahead then that is great. If not the person could write out just what they want done as far as music , funeral or memorial service and pick out the casket or urn and any other details that can be handled now so that it won't be so hard on the family.
  • Daryl 2007/07/17 16:59:38
    Daryl
    +8

• ♥.іиѕαиε.вαчвεε.♥ 2007/07/17 15:12:39
    ♥.іиѕαиε.вαчвεε.♥
    +1
    It depends ifu have lots of money
  • jackrorabbit 2007/07/17 14:30:56
    jackrorabbit
    +2
    If it is in their financial ability to do so, then yes, especially if they want to be in a specific place ect.
  • SpecialKrazyK! 2007/07/17 12:53:15
    SpecialKrazyK!
    +1
    My mother did buy her plot ahead of time..and when we buried her in May..though sad and horrible..we knew what she wanted...and were able to not have to think about that ..so so sad thing as funeral arrngements.

In doings so she showed how much she loved us by taking away that burden.

I only hope I will have some money to do the same for my kids.
  • Teedee Special... 2007/07/17 12:58:56
    Teedee
    +1
    I'm sorry about your mom Tracy..Both my parents are still with us. That is going to be a hard one of me to handle. Their great parents. But that is the way I see it also.
    "In doings so she showed how much she loved us by taking away that burden."
  • Special... Teedee 2007/07/17 13:01:52
    SpecialKrazyK!
    you are such a caring person..and i love reading your opinions!
  • Teedee Special... 2007/07/17 17:27:45
    Teedee
    Thank You Tracy...and back at ya galfriend :))
  • Teedee 2007/07/17 12:46:34
    Teedee
    +1
    We have insurance just for this. When my first husband passed away my dad almost crapped in his pants when he heard what music I was playing for his services..he's really old school..I finally said..Daddy.. this is NOT about you and I WILL do this the way Garry wanted it done. I also assured him if he went before me..I'd personally see to it what he wanted played would be played..When my daughter passed away the first thing my mom said was..Theresa..you play what you want.My dad didnt say a word. Sometimes you just have to jerk your parents a$$ :))
  • Patrick 2007/07/17 12:31:29
    Patrick
    +3
    Family and friends are to upset to be handling these things, and often spend to much. I have arrainged to be cremated and my ashes spread on a star studded night on St. Andrews Bay the body of water here that most of my child hood memories were made on and to me the most beautiful bay in the world. I will have a head stone next to my parents and wife but I want it to be simple.
  • GEMINII : queen of hope 2007/07/17 12:28:11
    GEMINII : queen of hope
    +1
    if you can thats a good thing to do knowing your loved ones have enough to be sad about never mind the added expense of a costly funeral
  • debra 2007/07/17 11:55:28
    debra
    +2
    I feel I should have as much to say about these procedings as in anything else in my life and the only sure way is to have everything done before the big event...and it is so much easier on the loved ones..but I also want to let them have a say as to anything they would like to add to the services ect..many prearranged funerals don't allow for the grieving to have any imput to the services..so if they want something added I want to allow for this too...and everyone with children need to have a will also...
  • Pekins debra 2007/07/17 15:15:40
    Pekins
    +2
    Never even thought about loved ones wanting to have some input regarding the services. It is a very valid and loving point to reflect upon with your close family members. Thanks for bringing it to light.
  • debra Pekins 2007/07/17 15:49:42
    debra
    Your welcome..I have had this experience so I felt I should share it...I would have liked to have had the opportunity to be involved with a loved ones funeral but it was not an option and we all felt left out and as if it was more of a program than a time for honoring them.
  • Sir Jim 2007/07/17 09:30:22
    Sir Jim
    +3
    Even though I could let the VA bury me, I am going to be cremated. I would not place on my kids or anyone else to pay the outrageous prices of a full burial. Cremation is much cheaper and more sensible.
  • MAGGIE IRISH EYES 2007/07/17 08:56:37
    MAGGIE IRISH EYES
    +3
    That will save the family from the heartbreak of making arrangement.

2014/10/31 10:57:57