Do you think a foot massage can stimulate certain parts of your body

Razia 2009/06/06 11:52:09

• bookworm42 2009/08/14 21:45:49
    bookworm42
    It feels good, but I don't think this is the cure for cancer we have all been looking for.
  • Suicide is Painless~<3 Rev~<3 2009/08/13 22:34:09
    Suicide is Painless~<3 Rev~<3
    Nah. I'm sure it feels good and it'll chill you out but no, it's not going to do much outside of the feet and calves.
  • Ex-Angel {Fallen From Grace... 2009/08/13 01:14:13
    Ex-Angel {Fallen From Grace} ~Patron Saint of Sinners~
    +2
    Maybe... the feet?
  • Vixenated 2009/08/12 18:59:55
    Vixenated
    ...Wut.
    LOL YOU SOUND LIKE YOU HAVE A FOOT FETISH.
    LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.
  • Tomus Megalomania 2009/08/12 17:19:31
    Tomus Megalomania
    +3
    Namely, the feet.
  • Constance*sick to death of ... 2009/08/12 16:42:18
    Other
    Constance*sick to death of idiots*
    +4
    There are serious problems with this, and any "alternate" treatment if it is used as a replacement for, rather than an addition to, regular treatment.

Unlike Chiropractors however, practitioners of reflexology usually do not cause deliberate harm, nor do they try to extort "feel good" money out of their clients.

Two opinions: One short and to the point, one using and example of where things can go wrong.

http://www.randi.org/encyclop...

"Reflexology could be regarded as simple sympathetic magic except for one saving factor: treatment is effected by massaging the foot, and that usually feels rather good. As a medical tool for treating specific ailments not connected with the pedal extremities, however, it is useless."

And
    http://skeptoid.com/episodes/...

"Now, nobody disputes that foot massages do have benefits. They feel great, and absolutely promote relaxation and stress reduction. Unfortunately, these benefits can mislead people to conclude that the massage is working for whatever other malady is claimed to be treated. Another problem with reflexology is that, when used to diagnose a medical problem that does not in fact exist, the practitioner can claim that it is a future problem that's being diagnosed and treated. Time travel combined with medical treatment! If reflex...

http://www.randi.org/encyclop...

And
    http://skeptoid.com/episodes/...

"Now, nobody disputes that foot massages do have benefits. They feel great, and absolutely promote relaxation and stress reduction. Unfortunately, these benefits can mislead people to conclude that the massage is working for whatever other malady is claimed to be treated. Another problem with reflexology is that, when used to diagnose a medical problem that does not in fact exist, the practitioner can claim that it is a future problem that's being diagnosed and treated. Time travel combined with medical treatment! If reflexology were to be tested and compared to the results of a real medical diagnosis, this time travel aspect allows its supporters to claim even a clean miss as a direct hit. "

From what I've seen below, my answer will likely get me blocked - I'm not a True Believer (tm), therefore I must be silenced. So prior to that happening, I suggest anyone interested in learning why some of these alternate/holistic therapies can be dangerous check out the JREF You Tube account - start here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?... for the more extreme example - Faith Healing.
  • Tomus M... Constan... 2009/08/12 17:19:14
    Tomus Megalomania
    +1
    Hey, great quotes there, thanks for sharing.
  • bookworm42 Constan... 2009/08/14 21:47:18
    bookworm42
    Always so informative. Thanks constance.
  • socokid 2009/08/12 13:47:16
    socokid
    +3
    I highly doubt it.
  • Jcap ~ Peace ~ 2009/08/12 12:38:37
    Jcap ~ Peace ~
    +2
    No. I know your feet feel great after a foot massage, but, as far as affecting or stimulating other parts of the body - I think not.
  • mavericky 2009/08/12 11:14:36
    mavericky
    +2
    I do enjoy foot massages - even the ones that you get after a pedicure - but I don't see where reflexology has any credibility.
  • Bob-chicka-wow-wow 2009/08/12 06:06:09
    Other
    Bob-chicka-wow-wow
    +3
    depends on who is giving me the foot massage
  • Estick Bob-chi... 2009/08/12 06:48:09
  • Bob-chi... Estick 2009/08/12 06:48:31
  • bookworm42 Bob-chi... 2009/08/14 21:47:56
    bookworm42
    +1
    Hee hee. Horn dog.
  • Ms.NY 2009/08/11 22:14:42
    Ms.NY
    +2
    8) Reflexology
    Although reflexology is sometimes called foot massage, it is more than simple foot massage. Reflexology involves applying pressure to certain points on the foot that correspond to organs and systems in the body. Reflexology is very relaxing, especially for people who stand on their feet all day or just have tired, achy feet. To learn more, read the full article on reflexology. relaxing people feet tired achy feet learn read article reflexology
  • Razia Ms.NY 2009/08/12 00:28:49
    Razia
    +1
    Thank God for a woman "with" brains....
  • Ms.NY Razia 2009/08/12 00:50:17
    Ms.NY
    +1
    Thank You Razia. When my mom first got sick, i massaged her feet everyday, and i truly believe that it was a major instumental part in her recovery.
  • Razia Ms.NY 2009/08/12 00:55:09
    Razia
    +1
    Thank You! You're a "very" special woman...
  • Jeff Ms.NY 2009/08/12 22:48:28
    Jeff
    What do you rub if you want the feet to get better? Haw haw haw.
  • Ms.NY Jeff 2009/08/13 01:41:05 (edited)
    Ms.NY
    Rub your hands together, and pray ...Haw haw haw..
  • <--That guy 2009/08/07 06:58:44
    <--That guy
    +13
    There isn't much evidence supporting the claims of reflexology.
  • Razia <--That... 2009/08/07 18:01:06
    Razia
    +1
    ...and there are nerve endings to all organs in "human's" feet. You know -- "pods."
  • <--That... Razia 2009/08/10 20:00:48
    <--That guy
    +10
    If this is true, how come medical textbooks aren't filled with this information? We know what connects to what in the body, and there isn't any evidence of nerve endings in the feet stimulating other organs of the body. Even if anything were to occur other than contraction of a muscle, the result would probably be due to psychosomatic factors rather than the reflexology.
  • Razia <--That... 2009/08/11 02:12:17
    Razia
    +1
    It is true. A person genuinely educated in reflexology can touch "any" part of your body via the bottom of your feet...
  • <--That... Razia 2009/08/11 02:24:53
    <--That guy
    +9
    Any what does reflexology treat?
  • Razia <--That... 2009/08/11 16:43:40 (edited)
    Razia
    +1
    A "conversation" for someone obsessed with an opinion on foot massages... 'Good chatting, but the World needs me for much greater purposes other than someone's feet. The key word was "educated." Do I win a prize for answering your questions? ...This is one topic I'll let you impress the foot world with...
  • <--That... Razia 2009/08/11 20:25:04
    <--That guy
    +9
    ...WTF...
  • Razia <--That... 2009/08/11 21:03:23 (edited)
    Razia
    +1
    WTF??? I've heard your thoughts and that's it. I'm not looking for debates or testing anyone's IQ... The question was, do you "think." That's it. Later.
  • <--That... Razia 2009/08/11 23:11:29
    <--That guy
    +8
    I said WTF because I have no idea what you were just talking about. Your response had nothing to do with what I asked.
  • Razia <--That... 2009/08/12 00:31:01
    Razia
    Your questions are meaningless. Study the chart above so I won't have to respond to ignorance...
  • <--That... Razia 2009/08/12 02:01:31
    <--That guy
    +10
    Posting a chart is not evidence. You haven't really explained how stimulation of certain parts of the foot effect corresponding parts of the body. It's just like phrenology where people thought that certain areas of the brain were responsible for certain attitudes and cognitive modules. For example, there was a spot that stored friendliness, anger, memory, courtesy, jealousy, etc. However, there wasn't any evidence to suggest that certain small areas of the brain were responsible for those sort of functions. In fact, after more research was done, evidence to the contrary was found, and I'd be willing to bet that I could find a biologist/psychologist that could refute the claims of reflexology.

I'm not being ignorant by being skeptical. I even asked you a fair question--what does reflexology treat?--and you didn't really answer it. The short version of what you said was, "Go figure it out for yourself." You're the one positing that reflexology works because that's your claim, so you are responsible for defending your position. I'm simply rejecting the claims I've heard and read about because they have yet to meet their burden of proof.

If anyone is being ignorant, it's you. You're the one who believes in something you can't adequately explain, and then you dismiss other people as "ignorant" when they disagree with your claim.
  • Razia <--That... 2009/08/12 05:27:27 (edited)
    Razia
    Can you read? I don't give a flyin' fart what you think. Good bye! You've got some ego issues... Figure that out.
  • Jcap ~ ... Razia 2009/08/12 12:57:17
    Jcap ~ Peace ~
    +7
    You post a poll asking " Do you think a foot massage can stimulate certain parts of your body?", and when That Guy tells you what he thinks, you get nasty.....I think you are the one with ego issues.

BTW, does the reflexology treatment come with a tarot card reading?
  • Razia Jcap ~ ... 2009/08/12 17:48:40
    Razia
    What you think about me is as insignificant as the sex your mother and father had when they "trying" to make your dumb ass. Play with whatever "That" is and have fun. I don't play with children or "wanna be" adults. .If the truth is "nasty" you'll never know it... Bye sucker. Go back to school or the mental hospital you escaped from..
  • Jcap ~ ... Razia 2009/08/12 17:53:54
    Jcap ~ Peace ~
    +2
    What is your feckin problem.....you are getting all bent out of shape because not everyone agrees with your position on reflexology? What a nasty ass you are. I'd lay off the caffeine or whatever it is that has you so wired.
  • Razia Jcap ~ ... 2009/08/12 18:22:55
    Razia
    Get a life... I do this for fun and to yank the chains of ego maniacs. Thanks for your response. ...and take "peace" off your name. You've proven me correct "again." Talk to your parents about foot maggages and your problems. I'm not a shrink. 'Can't help you. The Sister who placed the chart on reflexology has more brains in her toe nails than all three of the "sensitive mob" who can't bear the truth. ...and in the event you can't read, again, I truly don't give a damn about what you think of me, I'm not your husband, daddy, etc. Just answer the question idiot. Write Santa Claus or something...I'm not impressed and truly don't look forward to hearing from you. I'm flushing the toilet and your friends are welcomed to join you -- Goodbye.
  • Jcap ~ ... Razia 2009/08/12 18:26:28 (edited)
    Jcap ~ Peace ~
    +3
    I did answer the question you idiot egomaniac.

Edit: Replying to your post below - because you blocked me.

Why put up a poll asking what people think, only to freak out when they don't think as you do? Why so angry? You have some issues my man.
  • Razia Jcap ~ ... 2009/08/13 02:19:29
    Razia
    If you and "That" are so obessed with your "opinions, why don't you teach him how to post his "own" questions. It's easy, What does relfexology treat?" Then you can vent your insanity on him... Can't be an ego maniac, I'm not your daddy...
  • Spiryt ... Razia 2009/08/13 17:36:03
    Spiryt Henderson
    +1
    good gracious, is it really that serious? people get so bent out of shape for nothing these days, keep putting them in their place tho.

2014/09/02 16:55:40