Do you support the concept that "Freedom of religion" applies to ALL religions, and not only those of 'popular faiths'?

Magical 2012/09/12 23:28:40
Yes!  Freedom of religion applies to ALL religions.
YES - and Freedom of religion also includes freedom FROM religion!
NO!  Its my way of the highway.
Other thoughts...
I just commented on another poll on "freedom of religion". This is an important topic, and I commend the author who brought it to light.

I wanted to expand on this point after reading an article about The European Court of Human Rights ruling a couple of years ago that Scientology should be allowed to file as a religious organization in response to Moscow, Russia denying its' application. The author of the article noted that this was not only a victory for Scientology but for all religious minorities which commonly have difficulty gaining public acceptance. She emphasized that "religious freedom isn't just for the popular faiths."

She goes on to make this point: "The issue of how to define religion continues to usually equivalent to accusing it of fraud, and governments want to protect the public from fraud. On the other hand, if government is to remain neutral, what criteria can it use to separate real religions from fakes? Many conservative Christians consider all non-Christian faiths to be fake. Other people consider religions to not be real if they are not old enough or large enough or if they just seem "goofy," although no responsible government could use that as an objective standard either."

That someone chooses a religious path that does not coincide with your beliefs, is absolutely irrelevant. Whether you consider the beliefs to be strange or even 'fake' is irrelevant. (All Atheists consider religious beliefs to be fake). Whether someone walks the walk of Muslim, Christianity, Scientology, Wicca, is no body's business. People should be free to make that choice. This absolutely includes those who choose the road of Atheism, Buddhism, Jehovah's witness, etc., etc.

I'm sick and tired of those who talk about the extremists, the terrorists - and generalize such behavior to painting an entire group black. There are fanatics, rotten eggs, bad guys in all organizations.

And yes, I believe that freedom OF religion includes freedom FROM religion. I think that Atheists should be respected, and those of faith shouldn't be shoving their beliefs in the noses of Atheists or anyone else. (There is no law prohibiting them from doing so, but I personally find such behavior to be obnoxious and a turn-off)

I find the polls condemning one path or another to be reprehensible. I choose to boycott such polls. Some will cry "freedom of speech/expression". Of course they are free to express their bias, prejudice, hatred, etc. - but it is also my choice to shun those that do.

Do you support the concept of Freedom of religion for ALL religions - not only those of 'popular faiths'?

• Metaldane 2012/09/13 09:50:36
    Metaldane
    +5
    And unlike many sh users I'm not a prejudiced prick I believe all religions deserve equal treatment under secular law no religion or non religious belief is better then any other it's the actions of individuals that give them bad names and often it is a very small minority of followers that do so.

• lucky 2012/09/16 21:27:58
    Other thoughts...
    lucky
    They yes answer is a little to broad from me to pick it, although I firmly believe in freedom of religion, I also believe that sometimes some religions can become harmful to a society as a whole and once that happens the freedom of that religion is debatable.
  • The Laughing man 2012/09/15 15:28:00
    Yes! Freedom of religion applies to ALL religions.
    The Laughing man
    which a secular government provides.
  • Smack Ego Zen 2012/09/14 23:34:15
    Smack Ego Zen
    +1
    I don't want you to push your religion on me, and I wont push my religion on you, even though I repect your religion.
  • Bastion 2012/09/14 18:49:34
    Bastion
  • RobertChristopherLaity 2012/09/14 07:54:53
    Other thoughts...
    RobertChristopherLaity
    Islam does not recognize freedom of religion. Islam dictates that ALL people MUST convert to it or die. Islam then uses our laws against us claiming that they have the freedom of religion to do so. Our airheaded government kisses their raised asses wwhile they burn and attack our embassies. Islam is ANATHEMA! Obama, a Muslim Supremacist is a ushering in Dar-el-Salam in America! Dar-el-salam is the Complete and utter takeover of the world for the false god allah and the scum sucking bottom feeder Muhammad!
  • daniel wayne 2012/09/14 01:19:07
    Other thoughts...
    daniel wayne
    freedom of religion should apply as long as you can quit or convert to another religion if you choose to. like lutheran to baptist or methodist to agnostic. if the right to that choice is denied, what ever group calling itself a religion needs to be outlawed.
  • Cat 2012/09/14 01:10:42
    Other thoughts...
    Cat
    Except when religion is a smokescreen for theocratic dictatorship, where the constitution is subverted under the guise of religion.
  • Callaway 2012/09/13 20:55:45
    Other thoughts...
    Callaway
    Sure the ones that don't use it as a crutch or excuse to kill people who disagree as a basic philosophy. And I don't want it to go off the tracks in the direction of some diatribe rant about the crusades or ancient history.
  • Seiryuu 2012/09/13 18:56:00
    Seiryuu
    +1
    Again, the most important thing is that the practice of whatever religion you follow (or don't) does not impinge on the rights of others.
  • Jane 2012/09/13 18:04:35
    Jane
    The world is divided into armed camps ready to commit genocide just because we can't agree on whose fairy tales to believe.
    In the end religion will kill us all.
  • Ole SGT Joe 2012/09/13 18:01:15
    Other thoughts...
    Ole SGT Joe
    Throughout the centuries varying religious beliefs have resulted in death and destruction to man. Sadly, every religious faith is presented as the only one to practice often times to cast doubt on all those that oppose their particular following. Each and every religious position is the "right" way - just ask the people that promote it. It is the fanatic that alleges that they personally communicate with the creator - those are the ones to watch. In summary, "Freedom of Religion applies to all", the answer is absolutely NO!
  • Doc. J 2012/09/13 15:39:31
    Doc. J
    +3
    I prefer to remain religion free.
  • iamthemob ~ the 444th Guru ~ 2012/09/13 15:29:48
    iamthemob ~ the 444th Guru ~
    A close second is of course "and includes freedom FROM religion!"

I'll share this quiz, posted by Grandbrother, which pretty much sums up the issue:

How To Tell If Your Religious Liberty Is Being Repressed
    By Susie Madrak

Rev. Emily C. Heath is a United Church of Christ minister, and she wrote something that may be useful for our friends across the aisle: A quiz to help them decide if they're being repressed!

I'm a religious person with a lifelong passion for civil rights, so this is of great interest to me. So much so, that I believe we all need to determine whether our religious liberties are indeed at risk. So, as a public service, I've come up with this little quiz. I call it "How to Determine if Your Religious Liberty Is Being Threatened in Just 10 Quick Questions." Just pick "A" or "B" for each question.

1. My religious liberty is at risk because:
    A) I am not allowed to go to a religious service of my own choosing.
    B) Others are allowed to go to religious services of their own choosing.

2. My religious liberty is at risk because:
    A) I am not allowed to marry the person I love legally, even though my religious community blesses my marriage.
    B) Some states refuse to enforce my own particular religious beliefs on marriage on those tw...

By Susie Madrak

B) Some states refuse to enforce my own particular religious beliefs on marriage on those two guys in line down at the courthouse.

3. My religious liberty is at risk because:
    A) I am being forced to use birth control.
    B) I am unable to force others to not use birth control.

4. My religious liberty is at risk because:
    A) I am not allowed to pray privately.
    B) I am not allowed to force others to pray the prayers of my faith publicly.

5. My religious liberty is at risk because:
    A) Being a member of my faith means that I can be bullied without legal recourse.
    B) I am no longer allowed to use my faith to bully gay kids with impunity.

6. My religious liberty is at risk because:
    A) I am not allowed to purchase, read or possess religious books or material.
    B) Others are allowed to have access books, movies and websites that I do not like.

7. My religious liberty is at risk because:
    A) My religious group is not allowed equal protection under the establishment clause.
    B) My religious group is not allowed to use public funds, buildings and resources as we would like, for whatever purposes we might like.

8. My religious liberty is at risk because:
    A) Another religious group has been declared the official faith of my country.
    B) My own religious group is not given status as the official faith of my country.

9. My religious liberty is at risk because:
    A) My religious community is not allowed to build a house of worship in my community.
    B) A religious community I do not like wants to build a house of worship in my community.

10. My religious liberty is at risk because:
    A) I am not allowed to teach my children the creation stories of our faith at home.
    B) Public school science classes are teaching science.

Scoring key:

If you answered "A" to any question, then perhaps your religious liberty is indeed at stake. You and your faith group have every right to now advocate for equal protection under the law. But just remember this one little, constitutional, concept: this means you can fight for your equality -- not your superiority.

If you answered "B" to any question, then not only is your religious liberty not at stake, but there is a strong chance that you are oppressing the religious liberties of others. This is the point where I would invite you to refer back to the tenets of your faith, especially the ones about your neighbors.

http://crooksandliars.com/sus...
  • Sweet-N... iamthem... 2012/09/13 19:03:56
    Sweet-N-Sour
    Unfortunately, both A and B of each question does not apply to the vast majority of people and so cannot be answered. In other words, just because you can't say "A" is true, does not make "B" the correct answer for you. Your test assumes that if you are religious, and you are allowed to practice it, you must necessarily be a fanatic that pushes it on others and that assumption is insulting.
    Religious freedoms are taken away subtly, not in grand gestures, and are led by social and cultural trends in attitude. In our society today, it is all too often accepted to laugh at the person who believes in God, to be hatefully mocked by teachers, professors, outspoken homosexuals, etc., who think their way, their "beliefs", are superior and the rest of us need to comply or be outcast. Isn't that what they accuse the religious of doing? In fact, the vast majority of religions do not do this, society just does not like our view and so feels compelled to tell us we are wrong. Little injustices happen every day to the religious, even in the US and it is precisely BECAUSE we don't impose our will that it can.
    The Reverend who wrote this "test" is free to see the world as she wants, but she does not speak for all, or even most people of faith and her assumptions are childlike.
    Everyone should ...
    Everyone should have the right to believe what they want and there have been injustices in the past by different religions all over the world but we must be careful to disallow the pendulum of justice to swing to the other side, at some point we have to say where enough is and stop trying to get revenge. Interestingly, revenge is a human ego concept, not a Godly one although there have been those misguided into applying it to God.
  • iamthem... Sweet-N... 2012/09/13 19:07:24
    iamthemob ~ the 444th Guru ~
    Do you think that freedom of religion is about freedom from government oppression or freedom from personal oppression?

Because I will argue that it is actually evidence of freedom of religion that people GET TO laugh at the person who believes in God, etc.
  • lm1b2 2012/09/13 15:28:59
    lm1b2
    +2
    As long as it does not interfere with the rights of others!
  • Racefish 2012/09/13 14:44:22
    Racefish
    +1
    However, this would also imply lawsuits against any religion would be dismissed.
  • iamthem... Racefish 2012/09/13 15:38:17
    iamthemob ~ the 444th Guru ~
    I'm not sure what you consider lawsuits against religion though...
  • Racefish iamthem... 2012/09/14 14:26:11
    Racefish
    +1
    Well, if you look at the suits against having the cross on churches or any religious symbolism removed because these symbols "offend" Atheists. Of course all these are targeting Christians for the most part. Targeting Muslims would be an act of war to them.
    I see no real difference in religious symbolism than commercial symbolism. If an Atheist owns a business, will he be as vociferous in his opposition to a competitor moving in next door and erecting his trademark? I don't think so.
    I don't think there are any religions that "force" people to believe other than Islam, and then only in Islamic controlled states.
  • iamthem... Racefish 2012/09/14 21:27:37
    iamthemob ~ the 444th Guru ~
    The lawsuits can't be dismissed, though, if we're talking about public/government property.

The problem with religious symbolism in the public sphere is that it ends up seeming an endorsement of religion. It is no offense to remove them, as religion should not be part of our government...

It's not an expression of support of atheism to not have religious symbolism as part of government.
  • Racefish iamthem... 2012/09/15 16:23:11
    Racefish
    They aren't only talking about "public" property, but all areas where any religious symbol could be displayed. it's a wonder they haven't removed the Easter Bunny since it was originally a pagan symbol of fertility.
  • iamthem... Racefish 2012/09/25 17:00:21
    iamthemob ~ the 444th Guru ~
    (1) Who's "they" in that case?

(2) What cases are you talking about, specifically?
  • Racefish iamthem... 2012/09/25 22:20:01
    Racefish
    This group in particular.

http://www.au.org/
  • iamthem... Racefish 2012/09/26 20:52:52
    iamthemob ~ the 444th Guru ~
    AU's very mission is focused on public entities. So...that kind of undermines your whole argument.
  • Racefish iamthem... 2012/09/27 15:10:46
    Racefish
    http://www.au.org/blogs/wall-...

Whatever happened to free speech? Why are they opposed to it in certain situations? Doesn't the 1st Amendment apply to all?
  • angie45 2012/09/13 13:53:59
    Other thoughts...
    angie45
    we all have the right to what religion we believe in..nothing is pushed/or should be pushed on us that we have the right to choose. its our freedom to choose.
  • Elaine Magliacane 2012/09/13 11:14:45
    Elaine Magliacane
    +1
    There should be a line drawn between Government ideology (Marxism, Communism, Sahria Law) and RELIGION... having Freedom of Religion does NOT mean accepting Sahria Law in our courts.
  • iamthem... Elaine ... 2012/09/13 15:35:55
    iamthemob ~ the 444th Guru ~
    +1
    No one accepts Sharia Law or other religious law in courts unless the issue is one of foreign choice of law issues or private contracts.
  • bob h. Elaine ... 2012/09/13 17:18:19 (edited)
    bob h.
    +1
    Where do you GET this stuff?
  • Bevos 2012/09/13 10:12:34 (edited)
    Other thoughts...
    Bevos
    +1
    I believe, that we all have the right to believe or not to believe in God. Whoever our God is. But I do NOT believe we have to tolerate a a group of people that want to kill us if we do not convert to their religion. Your freedom to swing your fist, ends where my nose begins!!!
    On the other hand,I think too much time and money is wasted on trying to take religion out of our schools. That was there long before we were. If you don't want your child to hear a prayer, have him excused, for that five minutes. Our Country was founded on religion, and to take that away is to destroy what we are. And WHO we are. A Country that has the right to choose!!
  • bob h. Bevos 2012/09/13 17:22:25
    bob h.
    Our country was founded by people seeking religious freedom and the freedom to burn at the stake non-believers.
  • scurvison bob h. 2012/09/13 18:29:25
  • bob h. scurvison 2012/09/15 01:51:40
    bob h.
    Did I say Geaorge Washington? Whoever that is?
  • scurvison bob h. 2012/09/15 04:47:06 (edited)
  • Bevos bob h. 2012/09/15 13:21:49
    Bevos
    Burning ANYBODY at the stake is ILLEGAL. People have the right to believe or not to believe. They just don't have the right to FORCE their beliefs on anybody else.
    The problem with Atheists is, they can't look at a cross on the wall and except the fact that it brings joy to a lot of people, just because it is there, and move on. They think they have the right to take that joy away by demanding it be taken down.
    The Christians accept the atheists as having the right to believe however they wish. The Atheists do not accept the same thing in the Christians!!!
  • bob h. Bevos 2012/09/15 20:13:10
    bob h.
    BS, the lowest level of Christians not only condemn everyone of other religions but also atheists, heathens and everything else they can spell, to a Hell of their own making. Now, they're fighting over whether the bible-banging Mormons are really Christians like the bible-banging Evangelicals, now that the bible-banging heretic burning Pilgrims are out of style.
    +1
    THIS....
  • Metaldane 2012/09/13 09:50:36
    Metaldane
    +5
  • Sweet-N... Metaldane 2012/09/13 19:08:52
    Sweet-N-Sour
    I can respect that view.
  • Michael McFascist 2012/09/13 08:09:39
    Michael McFascist
    as long as those religious freedoms do not violate the laws of the land.

2014/11/23 17:58:54