Do You Share E-mail Passwords With Your Spouse?

It's one thing to make sure you and your spouse know how to get to your mutual financial or legal info, but should you share your e-mail passwords with your spouse?

After all, even if you're not flirting with an old classmate, shouldn't you be able to keep some things private? Would your spouse be offended if you didn't want to share your password?

Or does true love really mean opening up every aspect of your life?

One thing's for sure: if you want to check out what your loved one is up to, ask first. Just ask Leon Walker, who's facing five years in jail for hacking into his wife's e-mail account to find out if she was cheating on him. Doh!

Read More: http://www.slate.com/id/2298433/?from=rss&wpisrc=t...

• sheyla1 2013/02/12 22:52:12
    sheyla1
    I don't have my husbands password nor he has mine..he's never asked for mine and if he does i am willing to give it...but i won't ask for his because i trust , love and respect my husband if i asked for his password and he denies then that's a different story but i know my hubby if i ask him he will give it to me...i learned from my past insecurities i used to be the type of girl that needed to have my past bf's passwords to everything and eventually my relationships were over with..lesson well learned...
  • cheshirewayne 2011/07/07 17:26:14
    cheshirewayne
    I use multiple passwords. Things I need to share, get the shared password. Other things get a password depending on what they are. Personal or work related.
  • bob 2011/07/07 17:07:32
    bob
    No way hosie.
  • Ashley Williams 2011/07/07 16:20:56
    Ashley Williams
    That's the same as sharing credit cards. A big 21st century no-no!
  • lawlerskates 2011/07/07 16:19:04
    lawlerskates
    +1
    I have nothing to hide. We share my facebook because my husband hates it so much he won't make his own acct so he just uses mine to keep in touch with his army buddies...but yea I don't get why folks call it nosy- I kinda see it as - your spouse has a right to know and if you're keeping him/her from seeing something then there's more of a reason not to trust you. It also creates more conflict if your less willing to share, you're in a relationship after all! Just my opinion.
  • lawlerskates 2011/07/07 16:18:52
    lawlerskates
  • bluelady 2011/07/07 15:39:38
    bluelady
    I love my hubby, he is my best friend...but he has messed up 3 bank accounts and an email account d/t he is just NOT a putor person...remember in the first Jurassic Park everytime the Professor touched the putor it died??/thats my hubby...I want my putor to work thank you and all my accounts to function as they are set up
  • PapaBC 2011/07/07 15:15:12
    PapaBC
    Why share? I my wife want to look then OK but not post as me.
  • Angie 2011/07/07 15:07:08
    Angie
    I have to and well he tells me his...he's not truthful in his
    Last time I checked he was sharing very private info re me and the kids...i don't care if he bad mouths me but keep my kids out of it!
  • ucntbsrius 2011/07/07 14:18:44
    ucntbsrius
    I wish there was a some passwords option.
  • Mel the Witch POTL PWCM~JLA 2011/07/07 13:55:41
    Mel the Witch POTL PWCM~JLA
    I have nothing to hide, besides his emails are Boring
  • Steel Town 2011/07/07 13:55:06
  • pcasper59 2011/07/07 13:43:55
    pcasper59
    I do share most of my pass words with spouse; but not all of them. You have to have a few secrets!
  • tor 2011/07/07 13:25:27
    tor
    +1
    If I was married I would. But I'm not married, so nobody else knows my passwords.
  • David 2011/07/07 13:14:52
    David
    In fact, I have a backup passwords notebook locked in our safe, to which she has access, which also includes my LastPass access information.
  • Artist~PWCM~ 2011/07/07 11:39:25
    Artist~PWCM~
    +2
    Not really a choice. She has to have mine but I'm not allowed to have hers...go figure.
  • David (oYo) 2011/07/07 10:55:41
  • Dar 2011/07/07 10:51:49
    Dar
    +2
    My husband knows mine...if you have nothing to hide, why wouldn't you share all your passwords.
  • ~Roxy~Navy~Brat~ 2011/07/07 10:49:55
    ~Roxy~Navy~Brat~
    +1
    i have nothing to hide neither does he as far as I know. neither of us go on the others accounts really so i just see it as a sign of trust
  • ~Roxy~Navy~Brat~ 2011/07/07 10:49:35
    ~Roxy~Navy~Brat~
  • Deborah 2011/07/07 10:48:08
    Deborah
    +1
    Yes nothing to hide and he needs to be able to access banking
  • Julie 2011/07/07 08:12:50
    Julie
    +3
    Let me get this straight, someone is facing 5 years in jail for hacking wife's email to see if she is cheating on him? Casey Anthony got away with murder and yet we are going to overcrowd the jail cells over people with marital problems?

This world is crazy.
  • chocolate-lover 2011/07/07 06:44:46 (edited)
    chocolate-lover
    +2
    i don't get it, why they'd wanna get into their mails?!
    you know that trusting someone ENTIRELY is almost an impossible thing to do....lmao....just leave it there, and get along...have fun :)
  • Myrle Hulme 2011/07/07 06:39:07
    Myrle Hulme
    +1
    Nothing to hide
  • 83Pats12 2011/07/07 06:14:29
    83Pats12
    +1
    I don't have a spouse, but when I do he won't be knowing my password. I feel that in a relationship you should be able to trust your partner completely. It's essential towards a healthy relationship.
  • CA Gal 2011/07/07 05:53:06
    CA Gal
    +2
    Just because we're married doesn't necessarily mean we have to share everything.
  • Centurion~PWCM~JLA 2011/07/07 05:45:01
    Centurion~PWCM~JLA
    Before eight years ago we never had email. When we bought our first computer we had a joint email account set up and it works fine. Same account, same password. Nothing to hide.
  • Heather ~Warrior Princess~ 2011/07/07 05:39:58
    Heather ~Warrior Princess~
    Why wouldn't I?
  • Karl 2011/07/07 05:30:15
    Karl
    +1
    I'm not married, so yea. If I did get married though, I wouldn't. I also would never expect her to share her password with me.
  • runningintriangles 2011/07/07 05:26:49
    runningintriangles
    Any partner of mine has got to learn one thing: I am a very private person, and some aspects of me are always going to be off-limits for you. Deal.
  • Angecael 2011/07/07 04:58:24
    Angecael
    Hahaha.. Oh wait, we're being serious.
    No. Never. I'm not married yet, but I've only ever given my passwords to one person, my best friend, who I find far more reliable than my boyfriend.
    I'm not going to go and cheat on them online, or at all. But, persay, If I ever wanted to cheat then the whore on the side wouldn't have my email to begin with, that's one of the ways a lot of people get caught. I keep my accounts from most of my friends, especially this one. I don't want everyone I know stalking my opinions, and rants like on facebook. I enjoy the comfort of not having to deal with people I know while on here.
    Anyways, answer = no.
  • Cheetah 2011/07/07 04:47:11
    Cheetah
    Only because she could care less she already knows I'm wacked and so are most of my friends.
  • XXrawwwrXX 2011/07/07 04:40:49
    XXrawwwrXX
    +1
    i may not be married but i have never once shared any of my passwords with anyone
  • Wizard 2011/07/07 04:34:41 (edited)
    Wizard
    Your spouse should truly be your best friend and confidant. I shared my log-in info...with my now ex. I guess it did not make much difference.

Unfortunately, many of us do not marry truly honest people...and they want to hide idiosyncrasies. If you marry somebody and they get secretive...you might worry...but it depends on how healthy the rest of your relationship is.

Some secrecy can be a good thing. It adds a little mystery.

A little privacy might be healthy - especially if wanting to exchange chat with a friend - without the spouse over your shoulders ready to edit your every thought.

However, they should not be downright militant about it.

exchange chat friend spouse shoulders ready edit downright militant secret passwords
  • Sgt Major B 2011/07/07 03:37:35
    Sgt Major B
    +3
    All the passwords are kept in an open file on the desktop. Been married for 33 years next month and the reason it works is that we not only love each other, we trust each other and we share everything.
  • ~Sophie~ 2011/07/07 03:32:10
    ~Sophie~
    I do. Not because he asked, but because I often forget things I need from my computer and it's easier so I can call home and my sweetie can get it for me. I trust him not to abuse the knowledge and I know that if there is something I want to keep private, he will respect it.
  • LiveLaughLove 2011/07/07 03:31:15
    LiveLaughLove
    well i'm not married but if i was i probably would. my family shares passwords because we have one family computer so some accounts are shared like yahoo mail.
  • running... LiveLau... 2011/07/07 05:27:38
    runningintriangles
    +1
    That sounds just awful. D:
  • Tony 2011/07/07 03:28:25
    Tony
    Every person is entitled to some privacy.
    Plus it's a habit from working in the IT field for 8 years. xD
  • Wahvlvke 2011/07/07 02:53:02
    Wahvlvke
    She has mine...nothing to hide.

2014/10/26 07:08:32