Do you pull over to the RIGHT for ambulance, paramedic, and fire trucks? Should getting this one answer wrong on a Driver's Test automatically disqualify you from driving?

gamman 2009/04/15 21:32:16
Yes I pull over and yes getting this one wrong on a driver's test should automatically disqualify the driver
Yes I pull over but if someone passes the driver's test then let them drive
No I just stop and let me drive that way :p
No I forgot that I am supposed to pull over to the RIGHT
I notice way too many cars just stop in whatever lane they are in OR pull to the left or center. It just drives me crazy.

• cinnamon 2009/05/02 03:23:20
    Yes I pull over and yes getting this one wrong on a driver's test should auto...
    cinnamon
    +3
    If you don't pull over you could cause an accident and hopefully a loved one is not in that ambulance.

wrong drivers test automatically disqualify driver pull accident loved ambulance

• princess 2010/04/01 23:56:40
    princess
    +1
    Yes, always.
  • jitko 2009/10/07 19:28:40 (edited)
    jitko
    +1
    During hurricane Ike evacuation, there were ambulances trying to get by between Columbus and Austin. No one was letting them. I not only pulled over, I did it in such a way that everyone behind me had to let them by, too. (It was a four-lane overpass.) I got a grateful thumbs up from passing paramedics.
  • Chrissy592 2009/10/07 18:53:05
    Chrissy592
    +2
    I also pull over the right when there is a funeral procession going by. The emergency vehicles need to get by quickly and the funeral procession stop is a show of respect and mourning with those that mourn respect.
  • gamman Chrissy592 2009/10/07 19:07:52
    gamman
    fabulous, thanks <3
  • dzynrbob 2009/07/06 17:56:26
    dzynrbob
    +1
    After all, if they get it wrong, they find out it's wrong. I pull over quickly, safely, and ALWAYS! My bro-in-law is a retired fireman. He risked his life many a time and was thwarted a few times because of ignoramus' who refused to pull over.
  • madi 2009/05/21 03:25:19
    madi
    +1
    thats a pretty important one. failing people like that might save lives
  • cinnamon 2009/05/02 03:23:20
    cinnamon
    +3

• Rover cinnamon 2009/07/06 17:53:12
    Rover
    +1
    I've had people slam on their brakes when they see me in the rear-view mirror! Red lights and siren means I'm asking for the right-of-way... I never demand to have it! I had some close shaves in my day!!!
  • cinnamon Rover 2009/12/31 20:05:45
    cinnamon
    +1
    I've seen that happen, thank goodness you came through that without any trauma!
  • Rover cinnamon 2010/01/03 08:18:31
    Rover
    +1
    Most of MY accidents were when backing up!!
  • cinnamon Rover 2010/01/25 16:20:25
    cinnamon
    +1
    How many accidents have you been in?
  • Rover cinnamon 2010/01/25 17:18:50
    Rover
    +1
    With other vehicles? None. I crunched the passenger door on the Truck when I was backing up (long story!!)... and I 'retired' an engine in one day on a forest fire.
  • cinnamon Rover 2010/01/25 21:25:41
    cinnamon
    +1
    Ok, I just thought you where an unusual driver.
  • Rover cinnamon 2010/01/25 21:28:41
    Rover
    +1
    Ask the crew that rides with me!!!!
  • cinnamon Rover 2010/01/25 21:35:16
    cinnamon
    +1
    Funny!! I'm at work now, lunch is over, I must sign off for now. Catch you later, take care my friend!

Bye-bye!
  • Mollydolly 2009/04/17 06:11:51
    Mollydolly
    +1
    Always
  • E.G. 2009/04/16 13:29:36
    E.G.
    +1
    You hear the siren from a distance. The sound gets louder, more urgent.. A speck of dancing colored lights appears in the corner of your rear-view mirror. Like a comet it is hurtling forward toward you.. Coming ever closer, its cry becomes deafening... Louder. Closer. Now the characters become visible in the mirror confirming forever what you knew from the first shriek -- "A M B U L A N C E" -- and you think... What if? What if I were in there? Heading to the hospital. What if my spouse were in there? Heading to the E.R. What if it were my parents.. my children.. one of my friends? Well....?

GET THE **** OVER TO THE RIGHT, DUMBASS!!

Ok, I feel better now that I've gotten that off my chest. *grin*
  • boddleblonde 2009/04/15 23:47:36
    boddleblonde
    +2
    Absolutely. Someones life or home is depending on the assistance from the emergency vehicles. It won't kill us to move over 2 feet.
  • tina 2009/04/15 22:47:40
    tina
    +1
    pull over to the right dummy--if that was your mother in the back---and they had 2 minutes to get her to the hospital--and some a- hole is blocking traffic--- you know the rest!!!!
  • MON 2009/04/15 22:14:44 (edited)
    MON
    +1
    always do that ..if you dont want to get hit by the fire truck...lol
  • ὤTṻnde΄ӂ 2009/04/15 21:45:08
    ὤTṻnde΄ӂ
    +1
    I've been in the near right lane stopped at a light when a fire truck came blasting horns behind me. Wouldn't want to pull over to the left because they may have done that. I had to go into the intersection and turn right in front of the car on the far right side. For practical reasons, though, I would go right or left if either were required for the emergency vehicles to get by.
  • gamman ὤTṻnde΄ӂ 2009/04/15 21:48:45
    gamman
    +2
    good point. i had to drive through a red light by making a left in order to let an ambulance go through because the driver next to me didn't know what to do - duh - all she had to do was drive to the right in front of the car next to her (happened to be a woman but it happens with guys too)
  • ὤTṻnde΄ӂ gamman 2009/04/15 21:57:54
    ὤTṻnde΄ӂ
    +2
    I think people must have their stereos blasting or just sort of freeze in those situations. In the situations where they don't pull over, they are dangerous, imo.
  • E.G. ὤTṻnde΄ӂ 2009/04/16 13:33:08
    E.G.
    +2
    Sometimes I freeze for a second when the confronted with running a red light, but when you gotta do it you just gotta do it!
  • windwolf14 2009/04/15 21:39:55
    windwolf14
    +2
    they could be leting some one die if they dont pull over
  • Milk Maid 2009/04/15 21:39:09 (edited)
    Milk Maid
    +3
    Always pull over and get out of the way! I have been on calls with my husband and seen the way people don't move out of the way....STUPID. I wouldn't want to be the reason someone's life wasn't saved.
  • gamman Milk Maid 2009/04/15 21:43:20
    gamman
    +3
    exactly, thanks. my brother-in-law, a firefighter, has amazing stories of stupidity. many people just stop in the middle of whatever lane they are in.
  • Moose 2009/04/15 21:38:32
    Moose
    +1
    If you're on an 8 lane highway, I'm pretty sure they'd want you to move to the left if you're on the far left, rather than cutting across 7 other lanes of traffic to get to the right.
  • gamman Moose 2009/04/15 21:41:47
    gamman
    +3
    Nope! Emergency vehicle drivers are trained to go down the middle and should not have to swerve around you.
    http://www.defend-me.com/Cali... {see 21806}
    (a) (1) Except as required under paragraph (2), the driver of
    every other vehicle shall yield the right-of-way and shall
    immediately drive to the right-hand edge or curb of the highway,
    clear of any intersection, and thereupon shall stop and remain
    stopped until the authorized emergency vehicle has passed.
    (2) A person driving a vehicle in an exclusive or preferential use
    lane shall exit that lane immediately upon determining that the exit
    can be accomplished with reasonable safety.
  • Moose gamman 2009/04/15 21:44:05
    Moose
    +1
    Driving laws are state laws, not federal laws, so before you tell me no, perhaps you should think about that.
  • gamman Moose 2009/04/15 21:46:56
    gamman
    +2
    Are you in Indiana? I am fairly certain this is standard across state lines but here is the Indiana State link -

http://www.in.gov/legislative...
    IC 9-21-8-35
    Emergency vehicles; yield of right-of-way
    Sec. 35. (a) Upon the immediate approach of an authorized emergency vehicle, when the person who drives the authorized emergency vehicle is giving audible signal by siren or displaying alternately flashing red, red and white, or red and blue lights, a person who drives another vehicle shall do the following unless otherwise directed by a law enforcement officer:
    (1) Yield the right-of-way.
    (2) Immediately drive to a position parallel to and as close as possible to the right-hand edge or curb of the highway clear of any intersection.
    (3) Stop and remain in the position until the authorized emergency vehicle has passed.
  • Moose gamman 2009/04/15 21:49:02 (edited)
    Moose
    +1
    Notice the part of the law that you so kindly left out, where it says

"(2) proceeding with due caution, reduce the speed of the vehicle, maintaining a safe speed for road conditions, if changing lanes would be impossible or unsafe."
  • gamman Moose 2009/04/15 21:52:07
    gamman
    +2
    okay okay but it doesnt say you can go to the left.
    peace out!
  • Moose gamman 2009/04/15 22:05:24
    Moose
    It does here

"(1) proceeding with due caution, yield the right-of-way by making a lane change into a lane not adjacent to that of the authorized emergency vehicle, if possible with due regard to safety and traffic conditions, if on a highway having at least four (4) lanes with not less than two (2) lanes proceeding in the same direction as the approaching vehicle"

2014/12/20 19:32:49